HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 4:23 PM
BANNED

Someone had mentioned the UN Luggage building refreshing its storefront. While it is charming for an interior, how well will this age as an exterior application?

http://woodanchor.com/portfolio_page...ont-re-design/

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 4:41 PM

^ As long as it's maintained properly, I wouldn't expect it to be a problem. It's not the most maintenance-free option, but it looks good and to get someone to refinish it every couple years shouldn't be a big hassle...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 6:02 PM
BANNED

If I owned the building, that wood would be painted red or green; I need color. These two buildings: perfect.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.89727...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 6:58 PM

Yes, too bad about the ugly parkade. Would it be possible to convert some of the lower parking stalls along McDermot into CRU's? Looks like they would be sunken slightly below grade, which is kind of nice/charming. Or would ceiling height be an issue? And loss of parking revenues.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 7:02 PM
BANNED

Anything is possible with money. I would love to see that.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
they should do holiday lighting like the Europeans in the exchange district:

http://www.worldofatravelholic.com/w...hristmas-3.jpg
This would be amazing, liking what Corydon did this year with the new Xmas lighting, wish they would add some to the arches too. I really hope Hydro can find a softer LED colour when they replace the lights in the Exchange, that harsh white will not do the historic buildings any favours — it doesn't make nice shadows. Love the colour of the glow in that photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Someone had mentioned the UN Luggage building refreshing its storefront. While it is charming for an interior, how well will this age as an exterior application?

http://woodanchor.com/portfolio_page...ont-re-design/
I like it, but I wish they would do it to the whole building. it looks a little strange/cheap to only have the main floor redone. Also curious what they will do with a new sign, that will hopefully tie things together a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Yes, too bad about the ugly parkade. Would it be possible to convert some of the lower parking stalls along McDermot into CRU's? Looks like they would be sunken slightly below grade, which is kind of nice/charming. Or would ceiling height be an issue? And loss of parking revenues.
I feel like the BIZ should really focus on making McDermot the premiere street in the Exchange, on both sides of Main. It'd be great to get rid of or add CRUs to that parkade, it really hampers a street with tremendous potential. Although I at least give some props to the owners of it for freshening it up with some new paint.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 10:52 PM
BANNED

Yes, and work at replacing the surface lot at Main & McDermot.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 11:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Even without CRUs, a renovation could transform it into a structure that blends in beautifully.

http://stocktoncitylimits.com/2015/0...rking-garages/

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Yes, and work at replacing the surface lot at Main & McDermot.
I'd take the MASSIVE lot between McDermot & Bannatyne just off Waterfront first. It drives me nuts that there isn't even a sidewalk in front of it, it just ends. At least the one off main has red brick and plants haha.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 1:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I'd take the MASSIVE lot between McDermot & Bannatyne just off Waterfront first. It drives me nuts that there isn't even a sidewalk in front of it, it just ends. At least the one off main has red brick and plants haha.
Agreed.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 1:47 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

that lot ur complaining about used to be a rail yard just an interesting fact

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 2:53 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Even without CRUs, a renovation could transform it into a structure that blends in beautifully.

http://stocktoncitylimits.com/2015/0...rking-garages/
Pretty difficult to clean the snow off of those stairs and landings.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 3:58 PM
BANNED

Ha, yes. Perhaps that portion could be sealed.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 4:09 PM
BANNED

There is an article in the FP today revealing that all of the commercial spaces along Waterfront are now sold/leased. Great news. H20 also has some commercial component now in the form of live/work spaces, which was never part of the plan.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 4:16 PM

^ Good news, although one could argue that they are somewhat underutilized... the spaces are mostly filled with professional services that don't do a whole lot to generate pedestrian traffic. It would be nice to see those spaces evolve more toward F&B/retail oriented uses...

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 4:22 PM
BANNED

While I am loath to argue occupancy in any form is positive, It does create the need for additional CRUs though.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 5:40 PM

Quote:
There is an article in the FP today revealing that all of the commercial spaces along Waterfront are now sold/leased. Great news. H20 also has some commercial component now in the form of live/work spaces, which was never part of the plan.
It's not the first time I've heard space in Sky II has been leased by someone who's interested putting in a convenience/food store in there. The FP article indicates, "they took it a couple months ago, but haven't started construction yet."

Does anyone have any more info on this?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 6:21 PM

Quote:
While I am loath to argue occupancy in any form is positive, It does create the need for additional CRUs though.
I admire your optimism, but when it takes 7 years to fill a space and an insurance agent or some other semi-anonymous 6th floor-type function moves in, that's not indicative of great demand so much as it is one of a business looking for a deal.

I could see things changing as more people move in with more new developments in the area, though.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 6:32 PM
BANNED

Optimist? You take that back! Ha ha. I would not say I am optimistic, but I suppose one never knows when the next businessperson comes along who wants to open a retail operation along Waterfront. I hope once the condos at 139/145 Market are complete, and occupied, additional interest is sparked.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 9:23 PM

I personally think other than in The Strand (maybe really high rents?) most or even all the other CRUs on Waterfront are well utilized. A restaurant, massage therapist, 2 salons/tans studios, 2 boutiques, Mere/Cibo. I think that's pretty good. Massage therapist may not seem like a glitzy tenant but it's a good service to have in the area and lots of people go in and out of there.

There's also a jewellery store in YouCube.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan