HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 12:38 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Chicago Spire was an economic hail mary that launched just before the biggest recession in a century. I'm surprised it got as far as it did.

Lucas Museum is entirely funded by Lucas, who has ample money to build the facility, and the only issue is a political one. If you look at the history of Chicago, this city finds ways to make these political problems go away.

You know the old saying about fighting City Hall... You can argue about whether that's a good thing or not, but it does make me optimistic about projects like this moving forward.
The only problem here is that City Hall is the weakest it's been in decades. I'm not sure it has the muscle it needs

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 2:08 PM
Urbane observer

City Hall steamrollered the Park District, the Plan Commission, several Near South Side aldermen and the Bears. City Hall got a special law passed to allow the museum, in a year in which virtually no other legislation moved through the General Assembly.

The only hurdle left to clear is this one federal district court, with its curious ideas about actually following the law.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 2:20 PM
The City

Yeah really, I see no signs of city hall "weakening". If you think city hall is weakened because of the political fallout from Laquan, I think you are mistaken. Rahm still has his Rolodex and holds the levers.

I'm wondering if Rahm, Lucas, and the parking lot lovers who pretend to like parks are doing some behind the scenes negotiating. Just today Rahm announced investing to create separate paths for joggers and bikers on the lakefront. A political bone?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 3:53 PM

^wow, that separation is sorely needed... awesome if it happens

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 6:32 PM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
The optimism for this museum staying in Chicago is almost identical to everyone's desperate optimism for the Chicago Spire project back in 08.

Sorry, but this one ain't happening, guys. I wish it would, but I'm not delusional-ly hopeful.

It's not a bad thing if the museum goes elsewhere. Chicago will survive.

The one thin I can say I've loved about living in New York is that people don't sweat the dumb shit. For the life of me I don't understand why Lucas wouldn't be okay with a compromise location—a place that would actually get more foot traffic and exposure. But there's this ironclad mentality that it needs to go on the lakefront or else.

And maybe I've been away from Chicago too long to stay subjective to these kinds of issues (I do still spend a lot of time in the city and I'm moving the family back home at the start of next year), but it seems this museum is a better fit for L.A. or San Fran anyways.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 7:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1 View Post
but it seems this museum is a better fit for L.A. or San Fran anyways.
Yeah? So? We need the money that this museum would bring into the city.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 8:38 PM

Quote:

The one thin I can say I've loved about living in New York is that people don't sweat the dumb shit. For the life of me I don't understand why Lucas wouldn't be okay with a compromise location—a place that would actually get more foot traffic and exposure. But there's this ironclad mentality that it needs to go on the lakefront or else.
Part of his decision to move it here was the desire to have it set among nature – specifically the Gang renovation of Northerly Island was told to play a big part. There are perhaps other sites where the museum could be more integrated in the urban fabric and still have some proximity to nature (I like the north end of Ping Tom, for example), but none so striking as opening out to Northerly Island and the lakefront.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 9:08 PM

Quote:

And maybe I've been away from Chicago too long to stay subjective to these kinds of issues (I do still spend a lot of time in the city and I'm moving the family back home at the start of next year), but it seems this museum is a better fit for L.A. or San Fran anyways.
I don't think it's unreasonable for Lucas to refuse a compromise location when it's most likely the location that brought him here in the first place.

Like if I want pizza and the pizza place I go to only has grinder sandwiches it's not unreasonable for me to just go to another pizza place.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 5:02 PM

That land by the museum campus is the best location for a billion dollar museum that is a gift to the city of Chicago.

Although, there are other sites that could work if he was open to it. Ping tom area is a good idea. Or what about buying up some property around Humbolt Park, and expanding the parkland in the city. With improvements to Humbolt park as well.

Buying up some industrial property along the river near goose island and turning it into a new park? It could become a focal point for the new Cabrini neighborhood that is being formed.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 3:43 PM

Tangentally related, but this is how you run a public interest organization:
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...t-could-happen

They don't sue every time the city repaves a road. Instead, they show a clear, positive vision for the future and advocate changes that would benefit the public. The city and other organization are willing to give them a seat at the table because they've built legitimacy as a positive civic force.

It is a shame we don't have a parks organization in this city that works to achieve similar results.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 1:48 AM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
I don't think it's unreasonable for Lucas to refuse a compromise location when it's most likely the location that brought him here in the first place.

Like if I want pizza and the pizza place I go to only has grinder sandwiches it's not unreasonable for me to just go to another pizza place.
The analogy is more like Lucas wouldn't except a Wagyu Tenderloin because he was already offered an A5 Kobe Strip Steak.

He comes off as an entitled asshole, IMO. I'm just amazed that some people are up in arms over the suggestion that he move his precious museum to a different location, which may actually make a ton more sense in terms of exposure and urban buzz.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 2:06 AM
BANNED

What is the best way for us to fight this nonsense?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 2:47 AM

I would certainly miss all that asphalt on the Museum Campus.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 3:22 PM

I think the design is o.k from the outside being relatively neutral as opposed to obtrusive. It will ad some contrast and perhaps relax the McCormick dark cold imagery just south.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 3:37 PM

Quote:
He comes off as an entitled asshole, IMO. I'm just amazed that some people are up in arms over the suggestion that he move his precious museum to a different location, which may actually make a ton more sense in terms of exposure and urban buzz.

Don't be dense. When you offer over a billion dollars to construct and stock a museum you can, believe it or not, have a preference on where it's located. What he's planning on doing will benefit us more than him.

That said, I'd love to hear about these "other locations" which would make "a ton more sense in terms of exposure and urban buzz" because people, you being a recent example, like to talk about the existence of these alternatives without actually saying what they are. The "Wagyu Tenderloin" location as it were.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 11:00 PM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
Don't be dense. When you offer over a billion dollars to construct and stock a museum you can, believe it or not, have a preference on where it's located. What he's planning on doing will benefit us more than him.

That said, I'd love to hear about these "other locations" which would make "a ton more sense in terms of exposure and urban buzz" because people, you being a recent example, like to talk about the existence of these alternatives without actually saying what they are. The "Wagyu Tenderloin" location as it were.
I get it. Anyone who has $1b to spend should be entitled to lakefront property. Got it. Thanks for making me less dense. Heh.

And again, I'm glad I've lived in NYC to experience a population that doesn't get worked up over relatively minor things (Like a Lucas Museum). Focus on the neighborhoods, Chicago. That's where the magic resides.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 11:10 PM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Yeah? So? We need the money that this museum would bring into the city.
Sounds dire.

I'll spell it out again for you—this museum could get tucked somewhere that has better access (not in a transit desert and not tucked behind a football stadium), which would make it more successful and make the city more money. Not to mention that the museum would have a much easier time attracting locals while keeping a more packed schedule if they plan on movie screenings and such.

If Manhattan can find land for spanking new museums so can Chicago. I have faith in Chicago. Keep the faith!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
And again, I'm glad I've lived in NYC to experience a population that doesn't get worked up over relatively minor things (Like a Lucas Museum). Focus on the neighborhoods, Chicago. That's where the magic resides.
It always amuses me when my Chicago-raised friends move to NYC and suddenly have the perfect template for solving all of Chicago's problems and shortcomings – emulate New York! They fail to take into account the fact that NYC is the center of the world, and as such, has nearly unlimited resources, unlimited global marketing, and in this case, more large cultural institutions than the rest of the country combined.

You're missing the point –  that Lucas's ties to Chicago are tenuous, and so yes, we want to ensure that he'll keep his museum here. Losing a cultural investment on the scale of the Lucas Museum would be a huge deal to any city beyond NYC. NYC doesn't have to worry too much about this because they have the leverage of being the cultural center of the universe.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2016, 12:10 AM

Quote:
I get it. Anyone who has $1b to spend should be entitled to lakefront property. Got it. Thanks for making me less dense. Heh.

Let me rephrase that for you: "anyone who is coming to your city offering a $1 billion civic and cultural gift should be allowed to build a museum on the MUSEUM campus if they wish."

Also what a typically twatty New York attitude. If someone were trying to build a museum on Roosevelt Island or in Central Park New Yorkers would absolutely be debating it. But maybe you can't see that around your huge ego.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2016, 1:31 AM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
It always amuses me when my Chicago-raised friends move to NYC and suddenly have the perfect template for solving all of Chicago's problems and shortcomings – emulate New York! They fail to take into account the fact that NYC is the center of the world, and as such, has nearly unlimited resources, unlimited global marketing, and in this case, more large cultural institutions than the rest of the country combined.

You're missing the point –  that Lucas's ties to Chicago are tenuous, and so yes, we want to ensure that he'll keep his museum here. Losing a cultural investment on the scale of the Lucas Museum would be a huge deal to any city beyond NYC. NYC doesn't have to worry too much about this because they have the leverage of being the cultural center of the universe.
Problem with your post is I never said Chicago should emulate NY. But I will say that too many Chicagoans need to stop being so damn insecure. Seriously.

There's no reason why Lucas or the people of Chicago can't advocate for a cutting edge museum that's integrated into the urban fabric. I promise you there's land in some great location that tourists and locals can enjoy!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive