HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 8:42 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
So much potential for more TOD all around the city....since the city isn't taking the lead, it would be awesome if more private developers really focused on utlizing our transit infrastructure.
^ That's not really true.

Check out neighborhood Quality-of-Life plans (in pdf format) at www.newcommunities.org

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 10:53 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
"There are great storefronts with great character, 1920s and '30s architecture that need rehab more than new construction. There are plenty of vacant lots but the streetscape is just great, and those lots can be used for parking to support new retail. There is enough new housing in the periphery ... we looked at that and said `boy, the people who live in this housing will really need services,'" Schiess said.
Wow, this is great to hear a developer coming in with respect for the neighborhood - and not looking at every parcel as a place to max out profits by tearing everything down.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, I checked into the two Brighton Park buildings that would be coming down for the 8-story building, and there will be no loss of good buildings in this case.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 5:36 AM
The City

http://www.columbiachronicle.com/pap...us.php?id=3250
Four firms in running to design facility
By Amanda MaurerPrint
Campus Editor

The city gave Columbia the arch from the former Famous Players-Lasky
Corporation building, 1327 S. Wabash Ave. The college will incorporate this arch into the proposed Media Production Center.

After receiving approval from Columbia’s board of trustees to begin a $20 million fundraising campaign in October for the Media Production Center, the college has taken another step toward constructing its first building.

In December, Columbia narrowed down a list of 29 architecture firms to four, which are in the running to design the Media Production Center, a facility to be located at 1632 S. State St.

Some of the Media Production Center’s proposed amenities include two sound stages, a motion capture studio and an animation lab. Administrators believe the center will fulfill the college’s growing need for additional studio and professional equipment space.

Starting this February, each firm will go through one last interview for the design commission, when they’ll explain their design philosophy, approach and ability to stay within budget. Columbia officials said they would like to have a firm selected by March.

“I know we’re going to have the opportunity to meet with four very creative firms who have definitely made their mark in the industry,” said Doreen Bartoni, dean of the School of Media Arts. “It will be wonderful to see what they bring to our subsequent meetings.”

Although the city has promised the property’s sale to Columbia, the purchase process cannot officially begin until a final proposal and budget are established for the Media Production Center. Alicia Berg, vice president of Campus Environment, could not reveal the property’s value, as the college has not yet finalized negotiations to purchase it from the city. The land at 1632 S. State St. is currently empty.

For additional assistance in selecting the most qualified architecture firms, the college has teamed with Martha Thorne, executive director of the Pritzker Architecture Prize.

“The great opportunity, in my mind, is the ability to invigorate the college’s community … with a tangible and beautiful new facility,” Thorne said in an e-mail. “A new building can express the college’s optimism in and direction for its future. It can also create a visible presence for the college in downtown Chicago that will not only serve the students who use the MPC, but also add to the college’s identity in the city.”

The four architecture firms are New York-based Helfand Architecture, Morphosis of Los Angeles and Chicago firms Studio Gang Architects and Brininstool + Lynch.

All firms have completed institutional projects similar to the Media Production Center, Berg said. However, the architecture selection committee’s final choice will depend on a firm’s ability to listen to the college, work with the Columbia community and provide practical and quality architecture.

“We don’t want a really marvelous building that really isn’t functional,” Berg said.

A chain link fence overgrown with plant life surrounds the currently vacant lot at 1632 S. State St. Columbia will purchase the property for its new Media Production Center.

Each firm must also consider the college’s desire to keep the budget cost-effective. Berg could not reveal an estimated budget for the Media Production Center because she has not seen final design proposals.

A $20 million capital campaign began last year to help raise funds for the Media Production Center. Currently, the college has raised around $6 million, according to Eric Winston, vice president of Institutional Advancement.

While the campaign will go toward purchasing the land and the construction process, Winston said the $20 million will also fund scholarships and endowments. He said the college would like to reach its goal in two or three years.

“They’ve already been given enough information to know the budget is going to be tight, and that it’s going to be a design challenge for them,” Berg said.

In addition, the architects have been asked to incorporate an arch from a building located at 1327 S. Wabash Ave. The building’s arch reads “Famous Players Lasky Corporation,” the former home to Paramount Pictures’ parent company.

The building at 1327 S. Wabash Ave. is scheduled to be demolished by another developer. The city decided to save the arch by giving it to the college as a public benefit, Berg said.

“[Officials from the city of Chicago] thought it would be kind of nifty if we just reused that arch from an old film building to a new film building,” Berg said.

Thorne said the Media Production Center, as the college’s first construction project, holds special meaning for Columbia.

“This architecture of a new building can also be a reflection of how an institution sees itself,” Thorne said in an e-mail. “This is not a literal reflection, but reflects an attitude towards its role in the city, the importance of the built environment, sustainability and other matters.”

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 3:18 PM

Southgate MArket

Has anybody heard about the rumors flying around that WHOLE FOODS pulled the plug out from the this project? HOpe not the south loop needs this! Anynone know anything?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 3:23 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy37 View Post
Has anybody heard about the rumors flying around that WHOLE FOODS pulled the plug out from the this project? HOpe not the south loop needs this! Anynone know anything?
Uh Southgate Market has almost finished construction and should be open extremely soon, if it hasn't opened already...You're pretty out of the loop, huh?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 3:40 PM
Registered

^ Some of the stores there are open already. Whole Foods is not, but they are still listing their participation on their web site, and build-out is pretty far along I believe.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy37 View Post
There was an article a couple months back about Whole Foods delaying their opening to figure out the best product assortment (I can't recall where). I think DSW and Office Depot are both open. Panera definitely is. A couple weeks ago it didn't look like any of Whole Food's buildout had been done, but I was driving by, so it's hard to say for sure.

The Home Depot just around the corner is opening Feb 1 according to their job listings. Unfortunately, Whole Foods hasn't begun listing jobs for the Southgate Market store at their website, I suppose that is a bad sign for any reasonably soon opening. Oh well, probably better to save my money than spend it on delicious $30/lb cheese.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 9:07 PM

None of the Southgate retailers are very enthusiastic about sharing their Sunday hours with the Maxwell Street (Flea) Market, and Whole Foods is no exception.

The Market is scheduled to be relocated to Des Plaines Avenue in September. Look for a Whole Foods Grand Opening about that time.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 4:31 PM

Columbia College Media Production Center

I am very happy to see that they will be keeping this in the south loop. The master plan called for the media production center to be in a remote location. With Columbia College looking to build the production center, student center, and performance center within close radius of each other this will add a great sense of a college campus.

Hopefully Columbia College will be involved in more student dorms to be built , like the University Village, which will add to this sense of college campus.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukecuj View Post
Lifted of the news releases from CDOT on City's web site.... dated 01/18/07

Couch Place improvement

CDOT crews are working on an improvement project along Couch Place between State and Dearborn. The work will create a pedestrian-friendly corridor, similar to Couch Place east of State Street.

The project includes new concrete pavers, new decorative light fixtures, arched entranceways, new banners and advertising display boxes, and drainage improvements

Parking and pedestrian impacts

Work will occur during day and evening hours. During construction, pedestrian access will be restricted. Access will be maintained to building exit doors and service doors along Couch Place. Existing parking prohibitions will remain in place.

The project is scheduled to be complete by early April.
Believe it or not, this is one of my favorite little projects in Chicago right now. I love the direction the city is going on this one.

Are any other alley's in the city going to go through the same process? It reminds me of the one off Rush by Le Colonial.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukecuj View Post
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - -

Developer decides to go upscale with new West Loop condos

January 24, 2007
BY DAVID ROEDER Sun-Times Columnist
The $250,000-to-$400,000 condo has become the standard offering in the West Loop. The product is so generic that many of the neighborhood's developments seem indistinguishable. Now, along comes a West Loop project that's tilted decidedly upscale.
Think of "pre-construction" pricing starting at around $700,000 per unit. Think of two balconies per home, high ceilings and lots of attention lavished on the kitchens and bathrooms.

The project in question is due to be built at 23 N. Aberdeen. Geoffrey Ruttenberg's Brixton Group Ltd. is planning two five-story buildings overlooking a courtyard.

Forty-eight homes are in the design, the smallest of them being 2,000 square feet. These will be three- or four-bedroom units, which have sometimes been a hard sell close to downtown.

But Ruttenberg, son of well-known developer David "Buzz" Ruttenberg, clearly thinks the market is ready for luxury housing aimed at families. He commissioned a design by architectural firm, FitzGerald & Associates, that combines limestone and steel to provide a contemporary twist on the traditional loft look of the surroundings.

Ruttenberg has started marketing the homes and plans to start construction in late February. He hopes to deliver the first 24 residences late this year.
Not to nit-pick, but the 250-400k "condo" in the West Loop is really a loft, and a generic one at that. They are absolutely right in that regard.

What I'd really like to see is a 250-400k condo in the West Loop where the developer hired an architect to think about the real needs of someone working downtown. Consider a husband and wife that both have professional jobs. Where's the closet space to store the 10-15 pairs of pants that must be hung, the 20-30 shirts that must be hung, the 10-15 suits that must be hung? What about a closet by the door that's big enough for all the jackets needed to match up the outfit combinations? How about a pantry to store enough food so a "family" too busy to shop can do so only once a month? Perhaps a den/office in all 1BR condos so some work can get done at home.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
Believe it or not, this is one of my favorite little projects in Chicago right now. I love the direction the city is going on this one.

Are any other alley's in the city going to go through the same process? It reminds me of the one off Rush by Le Colonial.
No kidding! Imagine if many of the loop's allies were converted like this, with little shops, bars and restaurants pocketed away all over the loop. To me, it would give the city a more "london-ish" feel (for lack of better words).

I'd definitely like to see more projects like these. With the increased residential development in the loop, there is definitely going to be a need for more residential oriented businesses: convenience store, groceries, bars, hardware, etc. Given the business-oriented businesses aren't going anywhere, I'd imagine more space will be needed. This is a great way to provide it.

Or we could go like tokyo and go up...

Taft

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 3:36 AM
The City

^ Will Couch place have shops lining it? I know, maybe it's a stupid question, but I'm just asking in case someone knows

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 3:48 AM
BANNED

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,5984194.story

Elgin hospital construction hits a snag
Project manager walks off the job in contract dispute

By Charles Sheehan
Tribune staff reporter

January 25, 2007

Officials at Sherman Hospital are facing another controversy in their efforts to build a $310 million facility in Elgin after the construction team overseeing the project quit in a contract dispute.

The hospital and BMI Joint Venture worked for two years on the project without a contract and were unable to reach agreement on the terms, BMI spokesman Tom Porter said Wednesday.

But according to hospital spokeswoman Christine Priester, the hospital has a legally binding contract with BMI and administrators are reviewing their options.

"A price was established, and there was a binding contract. However, they have made it clear that they do not intend to honor the agreement," Priester said.

Porter said that in September, BMI tendered a proposed contract, which was signed by officials of the joint venture, but withdrew the terms before hospital officials signed it.

"Despite extensive contract negotiations and working together for approximately two years, the parties did not reach agreement on terms," he said.

Porter, executive vice president of Barton Malow, one of the companies in the joint venture, said the firms packed up their trailers Friday and removed heavy machinery from the site of the 255-bed hospital under construction at Randall and Big Timber Roads on Elgin's booming northwest side.

Barton Malow, of Southfield, Mich., was the project manager, along with Elgin-based IHC Construction Cos.

Sherman's plan to relocate its main hospital from 934 Center St., on Elgin's east side, to a new facility has been opposed by rival Provena St. Joseph Hospital.

Provena St. Joseph had argued during hearings before the Illinois Health Facilities Planning Board that it could lose patients to Sherman's new hospital less than 4 miles away and that its financial health would be threatened. After the state board approved Sherman's plan, Provena filed a lawsuit in Cook County Circuit Court challenging the decision.

Construction of the new hospital began in June, and subcontractors continue to work at the site, Priester said. Sherman has brought in a temporary construction manager to oversee the project until a new company is chosen, she said.

The completion date, scheduled for late 2009, has not changed, she said.

Sherman is reviewing bids from several construction companies that have shown interest in the project, Priester said.

Meanwhile, lawyers for Provena St. Joseph filed legal documents Wednesday alleging that Sherman deliberately concealed information from the state board about shrinking patient numbers.

Provena St. Joseph said Sherman's inpatient days for medical and surgical beds dropped from 50,241 in 2004 to 41,834 in 2005, information that was not included in its request for state approval.

Sherman said the number of inpatient days declined but the most up-to-date numbers were submitted to the state board during the review process.

"We submitted everything we were required to submit, and there was a lot of time between that process and when it was approved," Priester said.

"Patient volume is declining all over, but that has nothing to do with our need for a new hospital. Some of our rooms date back to 1912, and we need to modernize."

Provena St. Joseph has said Sherman's new hospital would cost Provena between $8.7 million and $17.7 million a year in revenue.

Susana Lopatka, acting chairwoman of the planning board, said during a December meeting that potential losses at Provena St. Joseph do not fall within the board's purview.

"We determined that it was not the role of this board to maintain or protect the market share for any health-care facility," Lopatka said.

Circuit Judge Peter Flynn could rule next month on Provena's challenge of the board's decision.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Will Couch place have shops lining it? I know, maybe it's a stupid question, but I'm just asking in case someone knows
That would be cool. I could see come nightclubs or trendy bars going there, like in Fulton Market.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 5:47 AM
TL;DR

They're doing this Couch Place renovation essentially for Looptopia, when segments of Couch Place will have booths, vendors, and even a cabaret show somewhere.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 5:50 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taft View Post
No kidding! Imagine if many of the loop's allies were converted like this, with little shops, bars and restaurants pocketed away all over the loop. To me, it would give the city a more "london-ish" feel (for lack of better words).

I'd definitely like to see more projects like these. With the increased residential development in the loop, there is definitely going to be a need for more residential oriented businesses: convenience store, groceries, bars, hardware, etc. Given the business-oriented businesses aren't going anywhere, I'd imagine more space will be needed. This is a great way to provide it.

Taft
I agree, Chicago could use some more ped gems like that. Obviously they are all over Europe but I was impressed when I came across a thread last year when I saw these little gems in a Melbourne thread. I would like to see more allies like these....

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...et#post5688108
Via The Collector over at SSC...http://www.thecollectormm.com/

Degraves Street

George Parade

Some whacky art at Hosier Lane

Last edited by nomarandlee; Jan 26, 2007 at 7:06 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
They're doing this Couch Place renovation essentially for Looptopia, when segments of Couch Place will have booths, vendors, and even a cabaret show somewhere.
Actually the Couch Pl renovation has been planned since prior to Looptopia, it's just one of those perfect storm moments when everything lines up perfectly. If I remember correctly from the FOD Looptopia the TIF that is funding the Couch PL renovation is expiring so the work has to start or they loose the money. So the Looptopia people worked with the city so that the grand opening could be during Looptoopia, but it isn't being done because of Looptopia.

Any my understanding of Couch Pl is that is is just supposed to be a clean place to get from the Goodman to the Chicago, which is kinda strange to me, I mean how many people go between those two venues at any given time?

SSDD

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcase View Post
Any my understanding of Couch Pl is that is is just supposed to be a clean place to get from the Goodman to the Chicago, which is kinda strange to me, I mean how many people go between those two venues at any given time?

SSDD
That's disappointing. Put a few shops and restaurants in there and people might actually go between the two. Maybe they can/will make it available for booths and vendors during the hospitable months of the year...

Taft

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 2:37 PM

Couch Place

I think if the renovation is sucessful enough, then the businesses will follow. Right now, that alley is downright frightening. The scale will be appropriate for pedestrians-only establishments like cafe's, etc..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development