HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 8:09 PM
Closed account

Hey Brian!! Welcome to the forum!

You have some great ideas, like the rest of us.
I also like the idea of both lines (eastbound & westbound) being on Main St. To be honest, King st between Wellington & Catherine is too narrow to support (future) two way traffic AND an LRT line.
Main St which has like 5 lanes in most areas can definately afford to dedicate 2 lanes for LRT.

ps: That Cherry St render looks awesome.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 9:38 PM

Another benefit of putting an lrt line on main would be so it would be more people friendly and attract lofts and more residential units.
If the sidewalk was also widened, this could become a model street for revitalisation as it would not only attract residential, but better comercial features such as more shops.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 2:07 AM
It's Hammer Time

Greyhound rolls out express runs from Brantford, Hamilton to Toronto

December 13, 2007
Spectator staff

Hamilton and Brantford commuters heading for Toronto have a new option.

Greyhound has introduced four new daily express runs from Hamilton and Brantford to Toronto and return, part of its QuickLink service.

The buses will stop in Toronto at Union Station and along University Avenue before ending their run at the Bay and Dundas terminal.

Monthly commuter passes are available, for $269 from Hamilton and $350 from Brantford.

For more information, schedules and rates see Greyhound’s website at greyhound.ca.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2007, 11:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

McGuinty Government Gives Municipal Transit Another Boost
Sharing Gas Tax Helps Municipalities Deliver Greener Transportation Options

ST. CATHARINES, ON, Dec. 17 /CNW/ - The McGuinty government is providing $314 million in gas tax funding to 108 municipalities to help get more people out of their cars and onto public transit, Transportation Minister Jim Bradley announced today.

"Our government has given municipalities a percentage of gas tax revenues to improve service and accessibility every year since 2004," said Bradley. "Over that time, ridership has increased by 68 million passenger trips, and further increases are forecasted."

To date, the McGuinty government has provided over $1 billion in gas tax funding to municipalities. These crucial investments support sustainable growth and help build modern infrastructure across the province.

"Sustained funding is necessary to improving and expanding public transit systems across the province," said Michael Roschlau, President and CEO of the Canadian Urban Transit Association. "The provincial gas tax program enables municipalities to make the sorts of improvements that encourage more transit ridership and reduces traffic congestion."

"Transit is the antidote to gridlock," Bradley said. "Sharing a portion of the provincial gas tax helps municipalities deliver greener, healthier transportation options to their residents and improves Ontario's economic competitiveness."

BREAKDOWN OF PROVINCIAL GAS TAX FUNDING PER MUNICIPALITY 2007/2008

The McGuinty government has launched the fourth year of its provincial gas tax program, giving $314 million into public transit from October 2007 to September 2008. The program provides two cents of the tax revenues from every litre of gasoline sold in Ontario to municipalities for public transit.

The province has developed an equitable system to distribute gas tax funding. This funding formula meets the needs of large municipalities with established transit systems and smaller municipalities with different transit demands.

The formula is based on a ratio of 70 per cent ridership and 30 per cent population. This means that 70 per cent of the projected 2007/08 allocation ($220 million) will be distributed to municipalities on the basis of their transit ridership levels and 30 per cent ($94 million) will be distributed on the basis of their population.

Hamilton $11,209,240

Old Posted Dec 18, 2007, 5:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

Energy city
Hamilton has a reputation for polluted waters and billowing industrial smokestacks. But what if it developed a new reputation as an environmental leader in energy conservation? As oil prices soar, two North American experts say it could be Hamilton's time to shine.

December 18, 2007
Stories by Gord Mcnulty
Special to The Hamilton Spectator

Daniel Lerch sees hope in Hamilton.

Lerch is an expert in energy conservation. He is the program director of the Post Carbon Institute, a California-based think-tank looking at strategies to adapt to an energy constrained world. In his own career, he assists local governments on how to deal with peak oil demand and climate change issues. And now he has a new book looking at how cities can plan for energy and climate uncertainty.

He chose Hamilton as one city to profile. Hamilton -- a city with a reputation as a heavily industrialized centre with an aging infrastructure.

Lerch sees something different. He is encouraged by signs that Hamilton is looking seriously at an economic blueprint less dependent on oil. In his view, Hamilton has set an example among municipalities in tackling energy and air-quality concerns since the oil crises of the 1970s.

Building a healthy economy and a green image as a city that conserves energy and creates environmentally friendly jobs will be a challenge, but encouraging news is that the city's efforts to reduce its appetite for energy are being noticed.

In his new book Post Carbon Cities: Planning for Energy and Climate Uncertainty, (Post Carbon Press, $30), Lerch chose Hamilton as a case study of how a medium-sized city can build a more sustainable future.

The city's strategy includes measures such as a new energy office, making Hamilton one of four cities in Ontario that have one.

Advanced, fuel-efficient vehicles, including hybrid cars and pickup trucks, and renewable fuels such as biodiesel are being introduced into the city's vehicle fleet. The HSR is promoting eco-friendly transit with lower emission diesel buses and diesel-electric hybrid buses.

Six new hybrid articulated buses along the Upper James corridor, connecting Hamilton airport to downtown, announced last week, are a precursor to future rapid transit improvements along Upper James. The feasibility of rapid transit, including light rail, is also being studied for a corridor from Eastgate Mall to McMaster University.

In November, council endorsed a corporate energy policy calling for a 20 per cent cut in the energy intensity of city-owned facilities and operations by 2020. Savings from energy conservation, expected to top $3 million this year, are projected to increase to more than $49 million by 2020.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2007, 5:05 PM
It's Hammer Time

If I had it my way and was a detector of Hamilton I would have LRT for the West/East corridor and bendy trolley buses for the North/South corridor. Electric trolley buses are ideal for steep driving like driving up the Escarpment especially if they plan to go up James to West 5th.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2007, 5:44 PM
Closed account

^^ Wow. That's good to read.
I've noticed that a lot of people at work and that I hang out with have started talking LRT w/o me even metioning anything.
I'm glad to see people talking... Hamiltonians usually support whatever CHCH or The Spec talk about as they tend to be ignorant (generally... generally). Hence why so many politicians are usually media personalities.

We need to post flyers advertising LRT and www.hamiltonlightrail.com then get the Spec to talk about.
Chances are CHCH wont even mention it unless it's being Inaugurated by Paris Hilton or Miss 2007 herself, Britney Spears!

I don't think LRT could climb the escarpment? The Montreal Metro uses rubber tires rather than metal-on-metal for it's line as it climbs Mont-Royal. So I think the Hybrid Articulated Buses would be the only way to climb James Mtn Rd or whatever. BRT is fine for North-South. Save LRT for East-West Main & Mohawk.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2007, 7:18 PM

put a gondola up the mtn with north south lrt stations at the top and bottom to link waterfront and airport (or at least rymal)

gondolas are a viable transportation method, not just for sightseeing:
"Gondola cars will arrive every ten (10) seconds, this is vastly different and less frustrating than waiting for a bus or train."
http://www.baltimorelift.com/approach.htm

Old Posted Dec 18, 2007, 8:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

^ I think something like that would be a lot better for the trips along the Jolly Cut. Instead of all Mountain buses going down the downtown core stop make them stop at Sam Lawrence Park and hop on the gondolas to the bottom. That way all Mountain buses would have higher frequencies, therefore making public transit more attractive to Mountaineers.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2007, 9:09 PM

North/south LRT should make use of the Claremont access - it has a good incline grade and is much more straight-line than Jolley or James Hill. The line could travel south along James from the waterfront then join the east/west LRT tracks to head east to Victoria, then follow the Claremont up the hill, veering right at the top to head south along West 5th, then track back east along Fennel, then south along Upper James, then loop back from the airport.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 12:08 PM
Closed account

Free transit? Merulla 'shoots for the stars'

December 19, 2007
Nicole Macintyre
The Hamilton Spectator
(Dec 19, 2007)

If the bus to work or play was free, would you leave your car at home?

Would it be worth paying $150 more in property taxes?

Hamilton city council has asked staff to explore free transit at the request of Councillor Sam Merulla, who calls the idea a "no-brainer."

"Free public transit can produce an economic benefit, an environmental benefit, as well as a social benefit," said the Ward 4 politician.

"We can't afford not to do it."

The city's transit program, including service for disabled passengers, costs some $78 million a year to carry 21 million passengers. The tax levy picks up about half the tab, while advertising, fares and other government funding cover the rest.

The city spends about $1.1 million to collect about $31 million in fares a year. If taxpayers were to collectively pick up the cost, it would mean a 6 per cent tax increase -- unless the city found another revenue source.

In the words of Flamborough Councillor Margaret McCarthy, the idea of free transit in a city with budget woes is "nonsensical."

"If it was feasible to do it, we wouldn't be raising fares," she said at last week's council meeting, pointing to the recent decision to hike fares for a second time this year. "It's just silly."

The majority of suburban councillors, whose residents pay less for transit on their tax bills because of fewer service miles in their wards, voted against Merulla's request.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger helped push the motion through after acknowledging full free transit might not be affordable, but it is still useful to explore what other communities are doing.

Merulla admits "he's shooting for the stars" with his proposal, but hopes the city will start with smaller steps, like free transit at rush hour or on smog days.

As an alternative, Councillor Bob Bratina wants the city to explore reducing fares to study the impact on ridership.

Several cities, including Halifax and Calgary, have eliminated fares on key downtown routes.

Others, like Windsor, close the fare box on days when air quality is poor.

No major Canadian city has free-transit, though the idea is gaining support among alternative transportation advocates who argue it's the next step to changing our car culture.

On top of reducing vehicle emissions and lightening traffic congestion, zero-fare systems are also touted as a socially conscious solution.

"Public transit is just that: Public. We already own it," transit advocate Dave Olsen wrote in an e-mail yesterday.

"It doesn't make any logical sense to me to ask people to pay twice for something we already own. We give almost all of our roads away for free."

The British Columbia resident has studied free-transit models around the globe and believes cities can actually save money on roads by encouraging people to take transit.

But free fares only work, he wrote, when a city has expanded its service and is ready for an influx of riders.

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/298464

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 12:10 PM
Closed account

Here's hot I see it...
Since I'm forced to pay for highways I will never drive on, why shouldn't the rest of the city pitch in and pay to make this city a transportation model the rest of the province can be jealous of.

This is a no-brainer, Merulla! You got that right.

Just think of the debate this will spark in major metros across the province and even country.
This could be a catalyst for something GREAT for public transit.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 12:19 PM
Closed account

from what I understand the mountain inclines are all too steep for LRT.
I'd like to see electric buses used for the Upper James rapid transit line:

http://trans-vancouver.fotopic.net/c1394378.html

they're quiet, quick, electric and part of the energy city plan.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 12:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

I think the best thing we could do is get free public transit during rush hour. If you go with free public transit for smog days than your basically supporting free public transit for the spring and summer months or half of the year haha.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 2:09 PM

Free transit is not the battle people should be fighting right now, if ever. Keep the focus on e-w LRT, n-s BRT, GO, VIA, and a nice terminal downtown.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 2:37 PM
Hammer'd

I'd say fares should be frozen at $2.25... I think free transit is a bit much right now.

Above all I agree with flar though, we should be focusing on LRT, GO, VIA, etc.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 3:09 PM
Closed account

^^ I think it should be frozen at $2 for the moment... more convenient that way (instead of trying to scrounge up $0.25).

I don't think we'll ever get totally free transit in the near future, however Merulla is smart in aiming high. If he had originally suggested free transit on smog days, council would have shot it down.
But he's proposing totally free transit, which will result in a compromise: free transit on smog days, etc.

But ya... let's worry about educating our councillors/city staff of LRT and it's benefits, 1st. I'm pretty sure they are all aware it exists (I hope)... they just need to understand it now.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 7:50 PM
It's Hammer Time

My grandpa as some of you may know is a freshly retired HSR driver and anyways they got him driving the buses, testing out each kind, down the Linc today. Looks like HSR is testing out the idea of an Express East/West transit for the Mountain on the Linc.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 8:51 PM
Closed account

I think I saw your grandpa today. I was wondering why an HSR bus was merging onto the linc. It was the first time I've been on the linc since Redhill opened and I couldn't help notice all the big trucks whizzing by and blocking both lanes in some cases. I was thinking at the time it was not a very safe place for a bus. When I saw that its destination was 'Mountain Garage', I was relieved that it wasn't a regular route!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 9:31 PM
Closed account

Red Hill/ Linc/ 403 would make great sense for an express route.
buses use the QEW and 400-series highways so I wouldn't worry about safety on the Linc.

I'd like a route that goes from McMaster- Meadowlands- Upper James- Upper Wentworth- Mud/Stonechurch- Greenhill- Eastgate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure