HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 4:22 PM

I am sure some of those apartments on the upper levels are super vintage (wonder if they themselves are two levels)?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 6:20 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatboots View Post
I wonder how much it would cost to have those arches replicated and replaced?
I believe the city fronts some of that costs in the grants you can apply for for heritage features... that is.. if the building is designated as a heritage building.. I do believe this building qualifies though as it's old enough.

Also the problem with the awnings is most of them were so old they were either extremely faded or dirty and thus looked really bad.. If you look at the awning on the building on king william and john st it's brand new and thus looks beautiful - I would love to see more brand new awnings because the whole point of them was to protect people from the elements and the sun, something I feel is lacking now..

Last edited by Chronamut; Dec 26, 2017 at 4:38 PM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 4:35 PM
Hamilton Historian

I think hamilton should lift its neon sign ban - anyones thoughts?

I used to love looking at the pics of downtown king street with all the neon signs all down it..

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 12:56 AM

^There's a neon sign ban now? What's the rationale there?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 2:56 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
^There's a neon sign ban now? What's the rationale there?
There may have been one in the past, but the current bylaw of 2010 doesn't specifically prohibit them. It does prohibit signs "...with a video screen or any flashing, kinetic or illusionary motion, except an electronic message display..." (section 5.1.1). I would think that would rule out the flashing neon we used to have on some of the buildings downtown, like the old arcades.

There are also rules re: signs that project out from buildings and overhang public rights-of-way -- the city requires an encroachment agreement and liability insurance. We have few of them now, and I wonder if that's why (some of the older ones would be grandfathered provided they're not dangerous or altered in ways that conflict with the bylaw)

Perhaps we will see some neon get put up if a business can afford it and justify spending the money? I imagine custom neon signs would be more expensive than other types. Merit Brewing added a little in their "M" lamp, but that's pretty small.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I think hamilton should lift its neon sign ban - anyones thoughts?

I used to love looking at the pics of downtown king street with all the neon signs all down it..
Large and flashing neon signs may have been targeted for elimination in the past but I believe the current focus of 'neon sign bans' is more to prevent the new installation of cheap backlit neon box lights, as seen on so many payday lending outlets, the type you see here.

The 'neon' tubes (or 'fluorescent' tubes if you prefer) that light the signs from inside are visible here:

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 8:44 PM

Hey there, it’s the new guy again. I joined this forum because I’m actually in he process of creating a development company. Currently I’m in talks with investors and will be meeting Mr. Golfi on Tuesday to look at land. But, I’m still looking for a great architect, engineer and contractors and of course, a great designer!

If you guys have anyone I can get in contact with that would be great!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Constantini View Post
Hey there, it’s the new guy again. I joined this forum because I’m actually in he process of creating a development company. Currently I’m in talks with investors and will be meeting Mr. Golfi on Tuesday to look at land. But, I’m still looking for a great architect, engineer and contractors and of course, a great designer!

If you're looking for any adminstration positions, I've recent graduated McMaster and have been working as a Service Analyst at the University Technology Services within McMaster. I have a political science honours degree, as well as a minor in Geography. I'm passionate about my community and pay attention to local politics in the Hamilton, Burlington, Oakville area.

I can provide a more formal application upon your request.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
If you're looking for any adminstration positions, I've recent graduated McMaster and have been working as a Service Analyst at the University Technology Services within McMaster. I have a political science honours degree, as well as a minor in Geography. I'm passionate about my community and pay attention to local politics in the Hamilton, Burlington, Oakville area.

I can provide a more formal application upon your request.
I’m not there quite yet. I’ve still got to talk to the city about shadow cast and zoning. Also for some reason, people here hate skyscrapers so i don’t even know how tall they’ll let me build.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 6:33 PM

As far as architects go, it depends on what you’re looking to build! I would say most of the local architects in Hamilton are capable of delivering nice buildings with proper guidance and a developer with an eye for finish and design.

You’ll see interesting and exceptional work from Toms + McNally, Thier Curran & Invizij, while McCallum Sather & Lintack deliver more institutional/conventional buildings. Chamberlain Architects In Burlington also does interesting work.

If you’re looking out of town, the best in Toronto right now seem to be Hariri Pontarini (check out the King & Portland centre, the Well, and 7 St Thomas) Shim Sutcliffe (integral house, 51 Camden) and Teeple Architects (Picasso Condo, SQ Condo, Bianca Condo)

Also gonna give a shoutout to some lesser known but good Toronto firms like Montgomery Sisam, Kearns Mancini, and Kohn Partnership.

Avoid Kirkor and Graziani + Corrazza and KNYMH

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
As far as architects go, it depends on what you’re looking to build! I would say most of the local architects in Hamilton are capable of delivering nice buildings with proper guidance and a developer with an eye for finish and design.

You’ll see interesting and exceptional work from Toms + McNally, Thier Curran & Invizij, while McCallum Sather & Lintack deliver more institutional/conventional buildings. Chamberlain Architects In Burlington also does interesting work.

If you’re looking out of town, the best in Toronto right now seem to be Hariri Pontarini (check out the King & Portland centre, the Well, and 7 St Thomas) Shim Sutcliffe (integral house, 51 Camden) and Teeple Architects (Picasso Condo, SQ Condo, Bianca Condo)

Also gonna give a shoutout to some lesser known but good Toronto firms like Montgomery Sisam, Kearns Mancini, and Kohn Partnership.

Avoid Kirkor and Graziani + Corrazza and KNYMH

Alright, so I have a meeting with Toms & McNally with my consultant on Wednesday. How about a good broker? I’m trying to stick with local Hamilton talent. I want to help out businesses in this city.

Also, this is more for anyone, but I’m looking at 20 - 30 floors but I want a podium on the bottom with commercial space because I’m keeping it downtown. How do you think the city would feel about a building that tall?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Alright, so I have a meeting with Toms & McNally with my consultant on Wednesday. How about a good broker? I’m trying to stick with local Hamilton talent. I want to help out businesses in this city.

Also, this is more for anyone, but I’m looking at 20 - 30 floors but I want a podium on the bottom with commercial space because I’m keeping it downtown. How do you think the city would feel about a building that tall?
Where do you plan on building? Someone has a map of allowable heights, maybe they can post it again. (not sure where it was posted)

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:

I think the city would be fine with anything in that range - lots of opportunities to convert surface parking lots all over the downtown . 30 storeys for sure along Bay between King and Main, 20 -30 easily for James / Main / Hunter / Catherine. And a sea of lots Rebecca / Hughson / Cannon / Walnut that would love to be converted into 20+ storeys.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 2:47 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuller View Post
Large and flashing neon signs may have been targeted for elimination in the past but I believe the current focus of 'neon sign bans' is more to prevent the new installation of cheap backlit neon box lights, as seen on so many payday lending outlets, the type you see here.

The 'neon' tubes (or 'fluorescent' tubes if you prefer) that light the signs from inside are visible here:

Ugh yeah you're right - I was thinking more the old vegas- style neon signs.

Also you are correct- not only are existing signs grandfathered in - but you can't even take them down to repair them - you have to repair them on site while they are still connected - like the pagoda sign downtown.

Quote:

Hey man, you have come to the right place!

My advice is to read through ALL of the threads on this page - you will learn a lot - a lot of knowledgeable people here.

Also as far as who to work with - work with people that have a proven track record for success. People Like brad lamb are a wildcard right now in this city.. wilson blanchard and stinson have bad track records, and people like the ones working on the royal connaught and his uncle who is the president of LIUNA have pretty good track records of building in the city.

My advice is to please not cheap out on the look. Don't make it generic, make it interesting and tying in with the character of the area.

Also the city will throw everything but the kitchen sink at you it seems to try to cut down on the size of the building.. podiums are good as is concealed parking.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 7:35 PM

I have full confidence in Toms & McNally that they'll design something good.

I want the building to be downtown preferably on King.
Philip from Toms & McNally said they'd most likely be fine with it because it is bringing investors to Hamilton.

The only thing i'm stuck on is middle-class or high-end? i don't see a market for high-end in Hamilton, but it's a great opportunity.

Also, this is being built by Empire Development, my company in case you were wondering.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 8:43 PM

Quote:
I have full confidence in Toms & McNally that they'll design something good.

I want the building to be downtown preferably on King.
Philip from Toms & McNally said they'd most likely be fine with it because it is bringing investors to Hamilton.

The only thing i'm stuck on is middle-class or high-end? i don't see a market for high-end in Hamilton, but it's a great opportunity.

Also, this is being built by Empire Development, my company in case you were wondering.
I would do middle class units 700 plus square foot with high end penthouses for people with more money.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 4:40 PM

There is definitely a market for high end units, just not a tower full of them. There is a huge need for basic but spacious 2&3 bedroom units downtown.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 7:33 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timach View Post
I would do middle class units 700 plus square foot with high end penthouses for people with more money.
What he said

Businesses on bottom, middle classes above, rich penthouse suites on top seems to be the way to go right now. If you are in the core be sure to be mindful of heritage design, and don't go knocking down old buildings to put up new ones if you can help it or you will have the locals up in arms with torches and pitchforks... hamiltonians are proud of their heritage - me included!

If you are going to tackle an existing heritage building look to king william st and what they have done - used the existing infrastuctures and improved upon them - william thomas building is another great example - existing facade, condo built on top.

Also props if you build any facade with stone - we loove stone - cheap prefab and chincy looking finishes tends to get us angry haha..

Also is it empire development, or empire communities?

https://empirecommunities.com/communities/

Because if so I don't think they have built anything condo or business wise in hamilton before.. looks like they have a few in toronto though.

Last edited by Chronamut; Jan 2, 2018 at 8:39 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 3:44 PM

Quote:
I’m not there quite yet. I’ve still got to talk to the city about shadow cast and zoning. Also for some reason, people here hate skyscrapers so i don’t even know how tall they’ll let me build.
I sent you a message with a couple of endorsements for talented, reasonably priced professionals.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 3:50 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
I sent you a message with a couple of endorsements for talented, reasonably priced professionals.
kudos! It's pretty cool that we have the ability to influence further development by having people come here! Let's all work together to make hamilton even greater!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton