HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 4:37 PM

Gatineau Mayor

So Maxime Pedneaud-Jobin recently became Mayor of Gatineau. I, unfortunately, wasn't really paying much attention to Gatineau politics because there's very little mention of it in the majority of English press in Ottawa.

What does this mean for those living in Gatineau? I've heard that he'll be looking at ways to improve the transit infrastructure and he's even mentioned that he's willing to work with the City of Ottawa to improve inter-provincial transit.

Discuss...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 4:54 PM
Still optimistic

He endorsed the idea of LRT to the west of the city and he held a press conference early in the campaign with me where he committed to finishing a prefeasibility study in the first six months on the idea. It's very exciting!

It's also the remarkable revolutionary step of acknowledging the existence of Ottawa (wow!) and it'll be frosty in Hell for the next four years as he actually wants to work WITH Ottawa! It's as if we moved 500km closer to Ottawa overnight! I'm hoping that Ottawa will reciprocate with better integration of transit, data and just a closer relationship.

This is very, very good for Gatineau and indeed the whole region.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 4:59 PM
Mooderator

I think Bureau goofed up when he declined to do interviews in the last week of the campaign. He wouldn't even do the door-to-door crap like my councillors did in my electoral district. Maybe he wanted out, who knows?

At least we didn't have 4 mayors in one year.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I think Bureau goofed up when he declined to do interviews in the last week of the campaign. He wouldn't even do the door-to-door crap like my councillors did in my electoral district. Maybe he wanted out, who knows?

At least we didn't have 4 mayors in one year.
Your absolutely right, his avoidance of the media and citizens in general is what made him lose the election.

As for Aylmer's comment, I agree, this could bring long needed change to relationship between Ottawa and Gatineau as one metropolitan region as opposed to a big city loner and a want to be independent suburb. Let's just hope that the politicians and bureaucrats in Ottawa (municipal and federal) are ready to co-operate.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 8:09 PM

So Destination Gatineau is dead. On one side of the coin it was mostly just a glorified green space along the water, but investing in the Ruisseau de la Brasserie area instead, as the new mayor envisions, seems like a much less ambitious project. I think the Destination Gatineau project would've done a better job of attracting tourists. But I'm happy with the new mayor's views on transit and his dedication to Old Aylmer.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 8:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

What is fascinating is how the pollsters were hopelessly off the mark.

Bureau was supposed to win by the wide margin that Maxime P-J eventually beat him with!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 8:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
So Destination Gatineau is dead. On one side of the coin it was mostly just a glorified green space along the water, but investing in the Ruisseau de la Brasserie area instead, as the new mayor envisions, seems like a much less ambitious project. I think the Destination Gatineau project would've done a better job of attracting tourists. But I'm happy with the new mayor's views on transit and his dedication to Old Aylmer.
I think we need a vibrant downtown for citizens before we need a vibrant downtown for tourists.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 8:18 PM

A downtown-based tourism strategy vs. a strategy that spreads tourism investment throughout the city. Which one is more effective?

Quote:
New mayor in Gatineau signals changes to tourism investment plan

OBJ Staff
Published on November 05, 2013

A major waterfront redevelopment in Gatineau is in doubt following the results of the city’s mayoral election on the weekend.

On Sunday, incumbent mayor Marc Bureau was voted out and replaced by challenger Maxime Pedneaud-Jobin, who had campaigned against a $135 million riverfront redevelopment plan.

Mr. Bureau had promoted Destination Gatineau as a way to get tourists to see more of the city, rather than just visiting the Canadian Museum of Civilization and heading back to Ottawa.

But Mr. Pedneaud-Jobin has condemned the plan, saying it’s too focused on the downtown area and wouldn’t even succeed at keeping tourists in the city.

During his campaign, Mr. Pedneaud-Jobin proposed a $67 million redevelopment plan called Destination TOUT Gatineau, which he said would benefit residents, as well as tourists, and support other parts of the city.

That plan calls for a $35 million investment for redevelopment in the downtown area, along with $11.5 million for the Aylmer Marina and the Parc des cèdres. It also calls for another $21 million to be spent on smaller projects at other parks in the city.
http://www.obj.ca/Local/Tourism/2013...estment-plan/1

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think we need a vibrant downtown for citizens before we need a vibrant downtown for tourists.
That's true. But both Destination Gatineau and the Ruisseau de la Brasserie project are tourism development projects; they're supposed to give people a reason to stay in Gatineau longer once they've visited the museum instead of going back to Ottawa. I don't know if they're trying to make their downtown vibrant for residents.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 8:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
A downtown-based tourism strategy vs. a strategy that spreads tourism investment throughout the city. Which one is more effective?
I agree with you. I don't want tourism dollars thinly spread out and spent throughout the city just to make people feel good that their sectors are interesting *too*.

My comments were merely my wishes, and were not intended as support for what MPJ said about this during the campaign.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 12:03 AM

All that Destination Gatineau did (as far as I can tell) was turn mostly NCC land and private land to green space. Nothing but more grass along the river. Not worth 135 million.

Did they (Bureau and his cronies) even talk to the NCC and private land owners about it?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 12:49 AM
Awesome!

Biggest issue first to deal is transit, not just with the Rapibus, but the inconsistencies of service in the Hull sector which probably have the worst on-time performances of all the city. What a mess the Hull routes are during the PM rush hour particularly the 30-series routes which are frequently over 10 even up to 30+ minutes late. I hope they can fix this, because it frequently has overcrowding issues (31, 33, 35, 37). Maybe time to assign articulated buses on those routes and make the schedules more consistent. It is already inconsistent on the actual schedule by look at the User Guide.

But I think it's a good thing Bureau has been defeated, as at the end he looked like someone who was no longer interested in the job participating in only one debate.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
It's also the remarkable revolutionary step of acknowledging the existence of Ottawa (wow!) and it'll be frosty in Hell for the next four years as he actually wants to work WITH Ottawa! It's as if we moved 500km closer to Ottawa overnight! I'm hoping that Ottawa will reciprocate with better integration of transit, data and just a closer relationship.

This is very, very good for Gatineau and indeed the whole region.
Let's see if Ottawa receiprocates, or, as usually, whinges about spending "our" money on "them".

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
+11111

And a "vibrant" waterfront is one with as little pointless "green space" as possible.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 11:04 PM
Awesome!

Little negativity though about the new mayor, it's the second straight mayor who has named an ultra-separatist (ex-PQ candidate) in a key mayor's cabinet position, this time the press secretary spot and I'm not a big fan of that guy.

However, excellent choice regarding the Cabinet chief, much better than Mayor Bureau's choice
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
+11111

And a "vibrant" waterfront is one with as little pointless "green space" as possible.
That's debatable. But I admit, that while I'm a fan of greenspace, and prefer green waterfronts, there should be at least one urban waterfront location in Ottawa. The problem is, the geography makes that near impossible for much of the Ottawa (escarpments) and the Rideau Canal/river (mostly goes through residential areas). Dow's lake could be a good location in the future for this sort of thing, and Gatineau is a very good place for it as well, so good on them for considering that. It should help with their downtown.

I should point out, that there has to be thought into this sort of thing. Grass doesn't vibrate, but outside of earthquakes i've never seen vibrating concrete either.

Sorry for the rant. On a more related note, I hope Ottawa and Gatineau can actually work with each other in a way that makes sense.

EDIT: Impulsive post, didn't realize the thread was about Gatineau till half way through typing. Sorry!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Little negativity though about the new mayor, it's the second straight mayor who has named an ultra-separatist (ex-PQ candidate) in a key mayor's cabinet position
I'm not very familiar with Gatineau/Quebec politics, is controversy over this sort of thing common?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 11:31 PM
Awesome!

Hasn't been a big deal so far in the media. I know separatism is a very long shot and isn't close to 50%.

But it was just some observation by myself and the fact I had known this guy back in the 2000's most notably as one the most vocal voices against raise in tuition fees during the 05 student strike and that was a PQ militant at around the time and was candidate in the 07 election. But yeah so far, not much of a big deal. There was a bit of criticism by some with Bureau's choice of cabinet chief who was strongly in favor of separatism.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 12:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Little negativity though about the new mayor, it's the second straight mayor who has named an ultra-separatist (ex-PQ candidate) in a key mayor's cabinet position, this time the press secretary spot and I'm not a big fan of that guy.

However, excellent choice regarding the Cabinet chief, much better than Mayor Bureau's choice
Who is the new attaché de presse then? Can't find his name in the news.

Also, Maxime Pedneaud-Jobin has a lot of personal history with the PQ himself.

This is very rarely an issue for most people in Gatineau. It's one of the things that surprised me when I moved here from Ontario. In the Franco-Ontarian community this would the kiss of death politically.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 2:48 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
All that Destination Gatineau did (as far as I can tell) was turn mostly NCC land and private land to green space. Nothing but more grass along the river. Not worth 135 million.

Did they (Bureau and his cronies) even talk to the NCC and private land owners about it?
I tend to agree. This was not a recipe for a vibrant urban core. In detail, the Kruger lands that were going to be cleared ran the risk of becoming Gatineau's Lebreton. There's so much land there, that clearing it all would have left a gaping hole with the extraordinarily difficult task of regenerating it from scratch. It took 40+ years for Lebreton and it's still at turtle-speed because the market isn't absorbing these new dwelling units at a normal rate (since they're in the middle of an urban void) - how long would it take in Gatineau, a smaller market (despite the waterfront location), factoring in the decontamination time and expense?

Better to leave Kruger there as a legitimate industrial member of the downtown core and its history, and if/when it goes away, re-use the buildings. They are enormous buildings with unique potential. Nobody would purpose-build something like that today.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy