HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 9:53 PM

Question Edmonton: Where to live?

I'm about to move to Edmonton in a few weeks for a new job, and really don't know much about the city. I've visited 4-5 times over the years, but only dashed between downtown, West Edmonton Mall, Whyte Ave area (and Nisku and Leduc).

I will be working mostly out of the city a lot, so it doesn't really matter where I will be located for my home base, and plan on renting for a year or so, until I get a better idea of what area I would like to eventually purchase.

I appreciate any help or info on good areas / neighourhoods (I also have a two year old, so more family friendly I guess than sketchy).

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 10:09 PM

What do you look for in a community? Do you prefer modern suburban neighbourhoods on the outskirts, matured suburbs built 25-50 years ago, or more central and walkable (yet still safe) neighbourhoods? I could see you wanting something on the outskirts so that you can get out of the city easily for work, but you mentioned it wouldn't matter where your home base is which means you may be open to an older community. Do you like being close to frequent public transit? Do you like being close to big box stores? Do you want a community where your child could eventually walk to school? Do you like having natural amenities (like the river valley) nearby? Do you want a big house or are you willing to sacrifice size for an excellent location?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 10:12 PM
Community Guy

I would recommend renting in Oliver or Grandin. Great areas, parks, day cares, schools, LRT, walkable to downtown, lots of places to eat.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 6:00 AM
I'm cheap

Personally, I'd go check out Oliver and Old Strathcona. Even Southgate wouldn't be too too bad.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
What do you look for in a community? Do you prefer modern suburban neighbourhoods on the outskirts, matured suburbs built 25-50 years ago, or more central and walkable (yet still safe) neighbourhoods? I could see you wanting something on the outskirts so that you can get out of the city easily for work, but you mentioned it wouldn't matter where your home base is which means you may be open to an older community. Do you like being close to frequent public transit? Do you like being close to big box stores? Do you want a community where your child could eventually walk to school? Do you like having natural amenities (like the river valley) nearby? Do you want a big house or are you willing to sacrifice size for an excellent location?
My wife and I both loath box stores, and to be honest shopping in general (other than the essentials). I would sacrifice size for character and location. We always choose to live somewhere were we can walk to grocery shop, eat and go out and only use our vehicle when really needed. I would prefer someone in "the thick of things", but also with a daughter, safe to walk around, and not to get caught up in media hype, but Edmonton has been in the news for a lot of the wrong reasons this year, and from an outsider, I really have no idea what neighbourhoods to avoid for heavy drug, street people areas..

Thanks for the help so far, the areas listed thus far look great, we'll be in the city for a couple of days next week and hope to walk around a lot to get a feel.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 9:14 PM
Change is good

mrchills, you may want to post at www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum for more opinions...

Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 9:48 PM
Urbis Maximus

Are you looking to rent a house or apartment? Great neighbourhoods that are walkable would be the University, 124 Street/Westmount, and Strathcona.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChills View Post
My wife and I both loath box stores, and to be honest shopping in general (other than the essentials). I would sacrifice size for character and location. We always choose to live somewhere were we can walk to grocery shop, eat and go out and only use our vehicle when really needed. I would prefer someone in "the thick of things", but also with a daughter, safe to walk around, and not to get caught up in media hype, but Edmonton has been in the news for a lot of the wrong reasons this year, and from an outsider, I really have no idea what neighbourhoods to avoid for heavy drug, street people areas..

Thanks for the help so far, the areas listed thus far look great, we'll be in the city for a couple of days next week and hope to walk around a lot to get a feel.
You'd probably fit in nicely on Edmonton SSP .

Are you looking for a house, townhouse, condo, apartment, or other? Can you afford well-off areas? Yeah, I think you've read the hype a little too much. Edmonton is a completely safe city. Yes, there are places that are sketchy and you may want to avoid living in (although just being in them for a visit during the day is fine ftmp) but keep in mind there are American cities that would love to have Edmonton's insane anomaly of a year with homicides.

Anyways, you might want to check out Alberta Ave and Parkdale. It's a little run down in parts, but there is a lot of affordable character housing, shops/eats within walking distance, etc. With Parkdale, you're close to Coliseum LRT Station which can get you to numerous points in the city (or major bus transfer points like University, Clareview, and Southgate). Alberta Ave has the advantage of being closer to Downtown and Kingsway Mall and NAIT. These areas are very up and coming.

If you want something less run down, you could also check out Glenora, if you can afford it, as it is quite well-off. It is walking distance to 124 St (shops and restaurants) and the Royal Alberta Museum, along with being a short car/bus ride to Downtown and Oliver Square. Plus, there is a lot of gorgeous old houses.

If, however, you cannot afford Glenora, you may also like Westmount. Some great character, but smaller houses. It is right next to 124 Street (on the eastern fringe) and Westmount Mall (on the western fringe), which should fill your basic amenities and evenings out bill. Also, the neighbourhood is not too far from Downtown and Westmount has some different multifamily options. The closer to 124 Street, the more charming old houses (so 125/126 Streets). Wesmount Mall has a bus terminal which can allow you to take buses easily to Downtown (from there you can do easy LRT transfer if need be), West Edmonton Mall, etc.

If you like apartment/condo living and can find a place that allows kids, Oliver may be perfect. Variety of price ranges and right in the heart of the city, Oliver's often considered apart of the Downtown itself. Bars, grocers, coffeeshops, dentists, pizzerias, office supply stores, salons, etc. line 124 St, Jasper Ave, 104 Ave, and 109 Street. You may also want to check out Downtown proper, but it is a little less residential-focused and at times sketchy (east of 104 Street, in the business/arts district, not as much in the residential areas). Downtown is home to City Centre Mall, 104 St (new condos, old warehouses, outdoor market), many cultural amenities (including festivals) and with both Oliver and Downtown, your backyard is the largest urban parkland system in North America (the river valley). Downtown is home to underground LRT every few blocks along with some of the best and most frequent bus routes in the city. Oliver has many buses that can easily take you Downtown in a jiffy.

You might also like Strathcona. Lots of multifamily, but also some nice houses (particularly around Mill Creek, east of 99 St). With this, you're in the same neighbourhood as Whyte Ave - the city's most vibrant commercial street. Theatres, bars, clothing shops, bookstores, grocers, restaurants, fast food, record shops, knick-knack stores, etc. are found here in abundance. This is also where the Old Strathcona Farmers' Market, Edmonton Fringe (2nd largest in the world), Ice sculptures, and Halloweens in Edmonton hang their hat. The good thing is that with the aforementioned Mill Creek portion of the neighbourhood, you can be within walking distance of this, yet still have some piece and quiet as you're disconnected a bit from Whyte's main drag, yet still within walking distance of community orientated shops (and East Whyte, a less busy version of the Whyte Ave in most people's minds). If you like Whyte Ave and the idea of being near it, but without the noise and more single family options, you may want to also try Ritchie. Both eastern Strathcona and Ritchie have the added benefit of having Mill Creek and Bonnie Doon Mall within walking distance. Ritchie is just with less character (mostly postwar 1950s/1960s housing iirc) but is a little cheaper, I think. Whyte is home to many bus routes, many of which can take you to the University of Alberta's University LRT Station which can then take you Downtown, Southgate, 118 Ave (Alberta Ave/Parkdale), Grandin, stadium/arena for concerts and sports, South Campus, etc.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton