HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 1:09 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
I think Quebec City is more than large enough to support a team. There's over a million people living within 100KM of QC, which makes it bigger than Winnipeg and Sask. It may be different if it was in the West, but since Eastern teams are only expected to draw 24K or so, I think it's plenty big enough.
I thought about this thread this afternoon as I was chilling with a few of my fellow dads during one of my kids' activities. (Which has absolutely nothing to do with football BTW.)

Anyway, at one point one of the dads said: "Hey, it's the Carabins-Rouge et Or game right now", and another proceeded to load up the live stream on his phone. Now, the guy who brought it up is from Gatineau and AFAIK did not study or live in Quebec City at any point. (He'd be too old to have known the Rouge et Or football program anyway.) None of the other guys AFAIK went to either Laval or the Université de Montréal, the two teams that were playing.

But I found it interesting that there was water cooler chatter about a CIS (RSEQ) football game 400 km away from people with seemingly no ties to either team. In addition to watching the game, there were reasonably informed opinions on Laval's powerhouse program, how they had built it up, and reference to the key people involved and players that it had produced. I had never discussed this topic before with this crowd of guys.

I think this shows the power of promotion by the media: university football gets a lot of coverage these days here, and not just by the sports media. If you watched a regular news channel or read a newspaper in Quebec today, you could not *not* know that this game was on.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 3:51 AM

It's a shame that Usports and the CFL act more as competitors than partners. I would love to see some Vanier Cup/Grey Cup locations synced up again. Make the week/weekend a true celebration of Canadian football from all levels.

Something Quebec is missing is having a Laval player graduate and continuing to play football for the pro team at home! I know rider fans love to see Rams' and to a certain extent Huskies' players make the successful leap!

I am all for the CFL trying to become more global and whatnot but let's not forget about our own backyard too!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 4:34 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post
It's a shame that Usports and the CFL act more as competitors than partners. I would love to see some Vanier Cup/Grey Cup locations synced up again. Make the week/weekend a true celebration of Canadian football from all levels.

Something Quebec is missing is having a Laval player graduate and continuing to play football for the pro team at home! I know rider fans love to see Rams' and to a certain extent Huskies' players make the successful leap!

I am all for the CFL trying to become more global and whatnot but let's not forget about our own backyard too!
Everyone I know treats them as equivalent. That and the Hilltops/Thunder when they're able to make the bigger leap.

I really enjoyed when the Vanier and Grey Cups were synced too. I went to the 100th Grey Cup, which had the Vanier in Toronto that year too, and we definitely took in the Vanier game too.

I always wanted them to try to sync the Canadian Bowl (CJFL), the Vanier, and the Grey Cup into a big Canadian football celebration weekend.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 5:02 AM
The New Republic

It's a no-brainer that the CFL should market itself at U Sports football games yet it's the NFL with their banners front and centre at some of these games.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 4:01 PM

The Rick Howe Show - November 8 2018 9 am (start at 10 min)

A group trying to bring a Canadian Football League team to Halifax is continuing to promote their concept. Yesterday they announced details of a season ticket drive and a name-the-team contest. Founding partner of Maritime Football Anthony LeBlanc joins us in studio with the details. We continue our conversation about the potential CFL team and stadium with sports commentator Alex Walling

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 6:23 PM

Cats - Lions

Wow Lulay with his best Drew Tate imitation. Not the best start for BC!

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 8:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

A friend of mine scored tickets for the eastern final in Ottawa next week.

Hopefully Hamilton blew everything they had today.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 8:55 PM

Zach Collaros is out.
-19 with the wind chill, starting to snow and wind is picking up in Regina.

Going to be interesting!

Also nice to see the UofC Dinos keeping up the Calgary choke tradition yesterday!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 9:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
I think Quebec City is more than large enough to support a team. There's over a million people living within 100KM of QC, which makes it bigger than Winnipeg and Sask. It may be different if it was in the West, but since Eastern teams are only expected to draw 24K or so, I think it's plenty big enough.
Yes, Quebec City is plenty big enough for a CFL club. There would be a bunch of things to sort out like a stadium and how much the Laval Rouge et Or would try to prevent this from happening. I know that Laval and its backers are powerful in that city, but just how powerful I am not sure, as in would they really be able to block the CFL from coming to town?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
O'Shea has been coach for nearly five full seasons and how many playoff wins are there to show for it? None. And at the rate things are going this year, there won't be any playoff wins this year either. Hell, it'll take a big swing in fortunes just to make the playoffs.
Sorry, had to rub it in, but I don't think you'll mind

Lucky the head hit on Bridge wasn't a penalty, it might have helped the Riders a bit.

Anyway, I think the Bombers match up well against the Stamps. Looking forward to see who BLM throws under the bus this year.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 12:39 AM

Full marks for the win Bombers.

Now go kick Calgary's ass!!!!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 12:56 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Sorry, had to rub it in, but I don't think you'll mind

Lucky the head hit on Bridge wasn't a penalty, it might have helped the Riders a bit.

Anyway, I think the Bombers match up well against the Stamps. Looking forward to see who BLM throws under the bus this year.
I think they are going to be a lot more confident now. The score was close but the Bombers seemed to have it in hand, even with a bit of a gift TD to Saskatchewan at the end (getting the ball at the 1 for that?!?) Too bad about Bridge - it looks like it should be a suspension for Jeffcoat.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 1:17 AM

When is the CFL going to get serious about player safety? When there are no QBs left to play? They obviously don't give a crap, judging from the Odell Willis incident and I doubt Jeffcoat will see any discipline either. It reflects VERY badly on the league and definitely hurts minor football as far as recruiting is concerned.

Aside from that, the Bombers are def for real. They beat the leagues best defence and I don't see anyone beating them the rest of the way.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
When is the CFL going to get serious about player safety? When there are no QBs left to play? They obviously don't give a crap, judging from the Odell Willis incident and I doubt Jeffcoat will see any discipline either. It reflects VERY badly on the league and definitely hurts minor football as far as recruiting is concerned.
Kinda early for that criticism isn't it? The replay showed the referee didn't see it and I assume that the play didn't come under the video review rules so it can only be ruled on post game.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Kinda early for that criticism isn't it? The replay showed the referee didn't see it and I assume that the play didn't come under the video review rules so it can only be ruled on post game.
I don't know man - I seem to recall Reilly taking a head hit against the Riders and a Stamps receiver taking one to the chin when the Riders played here in Calgary. Are you saying the league actually has this under control? Why wasn't Willis suspended for the rest of the season?

And why would Jeffcoat even take a cheap shot like that. Totally unnecessary!

Last edited by tomthumb2; Nov 12, 2018 at 1:43 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A friend of mine scored tickets for the eastern final in Ottawa next week.

Hopefully Hamilton blew everything they had today.
I'll be there too. Gonna be an awesome time but I'm getting REALLY tired of playing Hamilton! Win or lose, Steeltown will have to live with that sad thing with Rick Flair today.....

https://twitter.com/ticats/status/10...647861249?s=21

Still a few tickets left so Redblacks fans need to buy them up before those Oskee Wee Wee pansies get to 'em!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I think they are going to be a lot more confident now. The score was close but the Bombers seemed to have it in hand, even with a bit of a gift TD to Saskatchewan at the end (getting the ball at the 1 for that?!?) Too bad about Bridge - it looks like it should be a suspension for Jeffcoat.
I think the Bombers are going all the way. They were easily the best team in today's game, and the Stamps are lame ducks with all of their injuries. I don't see anyone from the east beating the Bombers.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
I think the Bombers are going all the way. They were easily the best team in today's game, and the Stamps are lame ducks with all of their injuries. I don't see anyone from the east beating the Bombers.
Don't count us out yet. The Redblacks have proven to be a dangerous post-season team the past few years.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
You just wrecked it

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Zach Collaros is out.
-19 with the wind chill, starting to snow and wind is picking up in Regina.

Going to be interesting!

Also nice to see the UofC Dinos keeping up the Calgary choke tradition yesterday!
Karma's a b*tch hey Van! I like the Stamps chances at home, with the extra weeks rest and practice time. Plus there's always the O'Shea factor, can he go two playoff games without making a boneheaded decision?

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada