HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
For me, it's quite simple. I don't have a car. And without a car, the US requires flying to get to. And I'm flying, I might as well go to Europe which I find a much more interesting place to visit.
Interesting! Here You can take the Tunnel Bus that Transit Windsor runs from DT Windsor to DT Detroit. It has a few stops in Detroit, then crosses back to Windsor. It's very convenient for people who don't own cars to visit Detroit from here.
I'm sure this is a special situation though, as Windsor/Detroit are very integrated!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
For the record, crossing the border went as smoothly as usual this week. Turned out the customs officer who was on duty knew me already (from previous crossings) so we chatted a bit about my black walnuts, he didn't bother getting out of his booth, let alone looking at anything I may have had inside the car (or my phone).

Can't help but suspect people who get their phones checked have to be doing something special.
As far as I know, they only take your phone if you are pulled over crossing into the States.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
Yes, if "something special" is a euphemism for being muslim.
Hahaha yeah I was going to say that it isn't always about 'doing' something as much as it might be "being" something.

I am subjected to 'random' extra searches and screening probably 80% of the time. That includes coming back into Canada though. No phone searches yet, but I'd probably delete certain apps if I were to cross anytime soon.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 5:28 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
My wife is half Indian from an Indian-African family (Kenya) and my dad officially renounced his US citizenship as protest for the Vietnam war and we get just "anything to declare" both ways. We cross the border every month or so.

Strangely I get targeted all the time at airports though, as the whitest white guy to ever white (blonde, blue eyes). They dust my fingers for gunpowder etc.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 6:03 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
In today's Winnipeg Free Press, there's a story about a recent poll which showed that some Manitobans are apparently staying away from the US because of Trump.

32% of Manitobans made good on vow to snub U.S.: poll

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...462467003.html

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the number would be way lower if the C$ was north of US$0.95.
Who’s not going to want to get in on the fun of saying something negative about Trump, even if it’s technically not 100% “true”?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Well, that still wouldn't explain a white guy from Thunder Bay having problems at the border.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 11:32 PM
Khan

Quote:
Well, that still wouldn't explain a white guy from Thunder Bay having problems at the border.
Anyone who willingly resides in Thunder Bay is inherently suspicious.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 11:41 PM

Heh, I guess I could see why U.S. customs officers would assume that if they're let in, they obviously won't ever return to Thunder Bay

My years of crossing the border have taught me that if there's one thing they are wary of (barring actual terrorists), it's people who look like they might stay illegally or work in the U.S.

(Incidentally, I have had many opportunities over time to actually confirm that it's okay for us Canadians to go and "work in the U.S." as long as one isn't getting paid by another party. That's the standard they're enforcing.)

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 12:08 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
For the record, crossing the border went as smoothly as usual this week. Turned out the customs officer who was on duty knew me already (from previous crossings) so we chatted a bit about my black walnuts, he didn't bother getting out of his booth, let alone looking at anything I may have had inside the car (or my phone).

Can't help but suspect people who get their phones checked have to be doing something special.
I've never had officers step out the booth, I didn't even know they did that at all. The one time we were searched, they asked us to pull over to a parking lot, leave the car, while a set of other people went through it. Though I suppose this all depends on the border crossing.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 12:09 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Vid is native.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Don't forget the Niagara outlet malls!! I do wonder how these establishments are doing with the low Canadian dollar - every time I've been the parking lots seem to be over half Ontario plates.

I also have traveled to Buffalo for craft beer but I'm weird and base trips around that.
Have you been to Premier Wine and Spirits? Their selection almost makes Toronto's flagship Summerhill liquor store feel like an LCBO trailer in Blind River.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Have you been to Premier Wine and Spirits? Their selection almost makes Toronto's flagship Summerhill liquor store feel like an LCBO trailer in Blind River.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=113

Is that the same place as Frontier Liquor that I referred to in this post. Great analogy about an LCBO in Blind River.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 1:25 AM

Even though we don't know how many of these 20 million visits are repeat visitations, this goes to show how prevalent the US as a place for Canadians to go travel to is.

https://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/11-630...017001-eng.htm

Almost 20 million visits to the US by Canadians yearly for the last few years.

The majority of Canadian visits out of the country were to the US -- for the period before the 1960s, almost all of the tourists that were sent by Canada were to the US!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 3:52 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Even though we don't know how many of these 20 million visits are repeat visitations, this goes to show how prevalent the US as a place for Canadians to go travel to is.

Almost 20 million visits to the US by Canadians yearly for the last few years.

The majority of Canadian visits out of the country were to the US -- for the period before the 1960s, almost all of the tourists that were sent by Canada were to the US!
Flying overseas was hugely expensive prior to the Jet Age.

The Boeing 707 and Douglas DC-8 - introduced in the late 1950s - changed everything.

In North America, you could reasonably get around by rail or car to the nearby adjacent areas of the US easily.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 3:53 AM
Calgary Martindale

^^^
Modes of transportation are important. Automobile, train, bus, on the continent, and oceanliner overseas. In the 60s jet travel, 707, DC8 made nonstop, over the Atlantic possible. Crossing the Pacific still required island hopping. Fast forward to today, with ULH aircraft, nonstop point to point, anywhere in the world with few exceptions, is now possible.

Last edited by Blader; Jan 15, 2018 at 3:54 AM. Reason: Wave46 beat me to it!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 4:30 AM

I remember reading somewhere that airplanes did not overtake boats as the most common form of passenger transportation across the Atlantic until the late 1950s.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I remember reading somewhere that airplanes did not overtake boats as the most common form of passenger transportation across the Atlantic until the late 1950s.
I wonder, with Canada's foreign born population currently at 20% or so, and if you include the kids of all the post 1950s immigrants, if as many Canadians by now can trace their ancestry to those who took planes to get here as opposed to boats (not counting the natives whose ancestors made it on foot).

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 4:47 AM
Calgary Martindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
I wonder, with Canada's foreign born population currently at 20% or so, and if you include the kids of all the post 1950s immigrants, if as many Canadians by now can trace their ancestry to those who took planes to get here as opposed to boats (not counting the natives whose ancestors made it on foot).
The vast majority came by boat, in steerage. It was a horrible crossing. You wouldn't want to experience that I guarantee you. Please remember WWII had ended and much of Europe was devastated . Prior to that war, boat was the only option and conditions were far more abysmal. The 60s onward they came by plane. I've never seen a measure, before and after.

Last edited by Blader; Jan 15, 2018 at 4:53 AM. Reason: Additional remarks.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada