HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 7:18 PM

Model of A Walmart Store

I decided to start working on a detailed model of a Walmart Supercenter. Here are some shots of my progress thus far:

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 3:22 AM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

good work.. but uggg.. why?

Flickr®

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 9:21 AM

Why? I work for Walmart, which provides some context for my interest in it. With a profit margin of $420B, Walmart sells an average of $60 per year per person on earth. The average Walmart store is more architecturally central to urban form than is the average skyscraper.

Here is my first rendering. The floor plan is almost entirely complete at this point. My next step will be to lay out the parking lot and exterior details, finish some basic detail for service areas and the tire centre, and then focus on signage, color tones, and other more minor details.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 11:12 AM

One World, one Walmart - Walmart operates in 28 nations globally.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoward88 View Post
The average Walmart store is more architecturally central to urban form than is the average skyscraper.
How so?

Flickr®

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 9:34 PM

more people visit on a more regular basis, i think. (not a good thing)

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 2:06 AM
I am a typical

You must be one of the management staff at Walmart because every time I go to Walmart, all the employees look really unhappy (my dad works there and his alcoholism got so bad after starting there that it split our family apart, but he still works there?). It's pretty creepy. Compare that to Superstore where they're always sort of happy looking, and you can't help but wonder what Walmart is really doing to make all that money.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
You must be one of the management staff at Walmart because every time I go to Walmart, all the employees look really unhappy (my dad works there and his alcoholism got so bad after starting there that it split our family apart, but he still works there?). It's pretty creepy. Compare that to Superstore where they're always sort of happy looking, and you can't help but wonder what Walmart is really doing to make all that money.
the local wal mart for me (i go there around once a year) is always full of half kookoo employees. i remember one wearing happy-face contacts.. you know, the contacts that can change your eye colour? well this changed her eyes to happy faces! just a little bit creepy IMO. i find the managers to be quite normal though.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 4:11 AM

Sorry about your dad, vid. If you don't want a debate, you shouldn't talk about Sex, Religion, Politics, or Walmart.

On a macro level, Walmart's international role is bridging gaps between economies and cultures by buying and selling across borders. If America and China have one commonality, it is Walmart. I've even heard it said that NAFTA owes something to Walmart, as Walmart's Mexico business helped open eyes to the importance of international trade for American enterprise. At the core of why I care so deeply about Walmart is my belief that if you can make people trade with each other, they won't fight each other. On that basis, I believe that Walmart is doing a great deal to bring about world unity (and peace).

As the largest private employer in the world, the largest corporation in the world by revenue, and one being six times larger than its largest competitor (Target, which does not operate internationally beyond Canada), there is perhaps no force on earth with as much private economic leverage; so beyond the scruffy customers (even, sometimes, scruffy associates) I am awe-struck by what this company is doing for our world.

As for the rumors about associates being underpaid and overworked: I disagree, because I've never seen evidence that those rumors are truthful. On my part, I feel that I am treated well and compensated fairly.

As for my part, I am a department manager at my store. I'm not at the bottom, but I'm not floating at the top either. That's my angle.

Without debate, Walmart does impact urban life and form; and so, whether you personally love it or hate it, I think that it (and this project) is relevant to the collective of this board on such ground.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Without debate, Walmart does impact urban life and form
Yeah, in that f'd up chew up the farmland sprawly kind of way. This day in age with climate change and with a bigger scientific understanding of how the human species has directly impacted the earth (and by extension how the earth is becoming less hospitable to our species)... is it smart to force people to drive to go shopping and smart to destroy our farmland so that we have to import food from abroad (more driving, more oil usage)?

Quote:
whether you personally love it or hate it, I think that it (and this project) is relevant to the collective of this board on such ground.
Oh I hate it alright.. but it's not just personally, it's professionally as an Urban Planner.

Flickr®

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 8:00 PM

target isn't even in canada yet. it is still in the process of transferring all the old zellers into targets. though it is a mega company, it is horrible in an urban planning view, that's for sure. i would have a lot more respect for them if they were even willing to open urban format stores, like McDonalds is. (even if their standard form is car-oriented)

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 5:20 AM

jeeeesh who is this guy? i hope he's at least getting paid to post here

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 9:21 PM
Community Guy

Someone drank the koolaid.

I felt sick reading some of this.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 10:33 PM
Khurram Parvaz

If Wal Mart were to open in lets say NYC, not New Jersey, not Long Island, but in NYC it would DESTROY every store, and small business.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 1:06 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
On that basis, I believe that Walmart is doing a great deal to bring about world unity (and peace).
But they make use of low paid labour in third world countries so that people in rich countries can buy clothes for cheap. (Often that is a necessity, because thanks to companies like Walmart, you can no longer make more than minimum wage in a retail environment). I don't see how that kind of relationship promotes unity and peace?

Judging from that map, you want Walmart to become the new world empire?

Quote:
I am awe-struck by what this company is doing for our world.
I, too, am awe-struck at what that company is doing to our world.

Quote:
As for the rumors about associates being underpaid and overworked: I disagree, because I've never seen evidence that those rumors are truthful. On my part, I feel that I am treated well and compensated fairly.
I think that is actually part of the reason that customer service at Walmart is so bad, and why the store is so dirty that they were forced to offer a discount on products covered in bird shit. (Birds get into our Walmart store because it was built poorly, and they built nests above the clothing department and shit on the clothes. It is less of a problem now but you still find the occasionally white and brown lump somewhere in the store.)

Walmart doesn't motivate its employees. It's a demotivational work environment. And if someone is working with a company for 14 years, shouldn't they be making more than $12 an hour? I've been working for a local business for 5 months and I earn more than my dad does and he has "seniority" (not that that concept exists in Wally World) over 99% of the staff. I actually work full time! He can't. They won't let him!

Quote:
As for my part, I am a department manager at my store. I'm not at the bottom, but I'm not floating at the top either. That's my angle.
Well there you go. You're part of the magical 0.5% of Walmart employees who actually found a future at the company. Congratulations! You are an exception.

Quote:
But people who work at Walmart can't afford to actually build up savings. You aren't saving anything when the only option you can afford is Walmart. Saving implies that you could have afforded to go to another business to buy an item, but went there instead. Very few people who shop at Walmart can say that. If anything, the instant gratification lifestyle promoted by Walmart it itself a demotivate. People no longer have to put any effort into achieving things. Those who don't won't be rewarded with promotion, so why bother? What a horrible world to live in.

And in the end, the whole economy suffers because of the lack of economic diversity and bottom heavy business hierarchy. I would guess that as a percentage of the workforce today, far fewer people are in positions of management than before. Most of us work under a small group of people. That isn't good for the economy at all, in my opinion. In fact, I see that lack of choice and bottom-heavy hierarchy as being distinctly anti-capitalist as far as I understand capitalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
If Wal Mart were to open in lets say NYC, not New Jersey, not Long Island, but in NYC it would DESTROY every store, and small business.
It wouldn't destroy every store, but it would destroy a lot of them, and for every store that closes, that's a small group of people that no longer earn decent wages or salaries, and therefore have less to spend in the economy that is supposedly based on being able to spend money.

And before someone says something about unions: The Real Canadian Superstore is a similar store to Walmart (but with more emphasis on food), and it has lower prices than Walmart for most things. And it's unionized.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 5:19 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Sorry about your dad, vid. If you don't want a debate, you shouldn't talk about Sex, Religion, Politics, or Walmart.

On a macro level, Walmart's international role is bridging gaps between economies and cultures by buying and selling across borders. If America and China have one commonality, it is Walmart. I've even heard it said that NAFTA owes something to Walmart, as Walmart's Mexico business helped open eyes to the importance of international trade for American enterprise. At the core of why I care so deeply about Walmart is my belief that if you can make people trade with each other, they won't fight each other. On that basis, I believe that Walmart is doing a great deal to bring about world unity (and peace).

As the largest private employer in the world, the largest corporation in the world by revenue, and one being six times larger than its largest competitor (Target, which does not operate internationally beyond Canada), there is perhaps no force on earth with as much private economic leverage; so beyond the scruffy customers (even, sometimes, scruffy associates) I am awe-struck by what this company is doing for our world.

Without debate, Walmart does impact urban life and form; and so, whether you personally love it or hate it, I think that it (and this project) is relevant to the collective of this board on such ground.
This is actually scary. I imagine some dead-eyed drone writing this, with some device protruding from the back of his head that connects directly to some Walmart Central Core, so that he may receive his directives on how to further spread Walmart Love™. I admit, though, it isn't often you see people talk about the positives of globalization, and how great it is that globalization destroys local economies across the globe. It's an interesting angle, at least.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 5:28 PM
Total Egghead

Well, J, that's a good modelling of a superstore.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 8:20 PM

I think it's interesting to see this model regardless. I'd actually hope to see it get more detailed. Reason being, it's an interesting study for comparison to say a large downtown department store.

I think the biggest unfortunate thing about Walmart is the lack of a good shopping experience. You walk into a big warehouse and it's absolutely dulling to the senses. Yet when I walk into a major downtown department store it's a thrilling experience. We sacrifice a lot to save a few bulks. A little extra money can go a long way.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 5:09 AM

It is interesting reading all of your responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward
I think it's interesting to see this model regardless. I'd actually hope to see it get more detailed. Reason being, it's an interesting study for comparison to say a large downtown department store.

I think the biggest unfortunate thing about Walmart is the lack of a good shopping experience. You walk into a big warehouse and it's absolutely dulling to the senses. Yet when I walk into a major downtown department store it's a thrilling experience. We sacrifice a lot to save a few bulks. A little extra money can go a long way.
^ Having personally spent some time working on the sixth floor of Macy's Downtown Seattle, another Macy's which was in a large shopping mall, and now working about 75 miles south in a rural Walmart store, I am lucky enough to have seen both retailer formats from the inside. Those are two very different worlds, so I definitely appreciate what you are saying... and using that experience as perspective, I see an opportunity in this model to represent a degree of attention to detail which wouldn't otherwise happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid
But people who work at Walmart can't afford to actually build up savings. You aren't saving anything when the only option you can afford is Walmart. Saving implies that you could have afforded to go to another business to buy an item, but went there instead. Very few people who shop at Walmart can say that. If anything, the instant gratification lifestyle promoted by Walmart it itself a demotivate. People no longer have to put any effort into achieving things. Those who don't won't be rewarded with promotion, so why bother? What a horrible world to live in.
^ The point you make is valid; but the topic is much more dynamic than just being about Walmart, or the retail sector. Ultimately, there is no question about the fact that the per capita value of unskilled labor is falling; and there isn't any question about the fact that the - as you put it - "instant gratification lifestyle" - is damaging. Nevertheless, Walmart doesn't really promote that as much as it feeds on it. If people want what Walmart sells, it sells what they want (just like Macy's, or any other store); and the more they buy, the cheaper it gets. I wouldn't go so far as to say that Walmart employees can't afford to save their money; but even if that is the case, the pay median at Walmart isn't really much different from other retailers. Ultimately, life is hard and economics can be a cruel business; but what I see and appreciate about Walmart goes beyond that. It is is the core idea that when you make people from all over the world buy and sell - trade - together you are doing something positive for humanity; and I've seen lots of stories - to some degree I am one of them - of people who started off at Walmart and really did find a career and an opportunity, to a greater or lesser degree, to better themselves as a result. To quote someone else loosely, "Walmart is one of the few companies left which will give someone with just a high school education a chance to run a 70 million dollar a year facility." I've seen that happen. Anyway, who knows. I'm not saying that Walmart is perfect, or is the savior of the world, or anything like that.

Apparel racks now have some detail instead of just being square cubes. I spent some time replacing shelves on the apparel side counters with clothing pegs. Minor adjustments continue, as I update the model to reflect the floor layout of the actual store which I am replicating. Tire & Lube Express and the outside of the building still need detail. I've still got to add stack bases and features to the main action alleys, and redesign the steel sections which are a bit too high. As is the case with my other model, I'm a bit constrained by limited computer capabilities, so much of the eventual detail is on standby waiting until I have the new system required to take it to the next level.

Last edited by JHoward88; Jan 9, 2012 at 5:55 AM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 5:57 AM

Action alley stack bases and the wall of TVs were added today, among other minor updates.

Jewelry & Accessories received some attention:

Last edited by JHoward88; Jan 12, 2012 at 5:18 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup