HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 6:01 PM

Thanks, Mity!

The YP Building was built for the Yhteis-Pankki bank - today the YP Financial Group - in 1962. It is 94 meters tall and it was the tallest building in Halvoo from 1962 to 1967.

Section002_pic04 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Looking northwest over rooftops towards the YP Building.

Section002_pic05 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 7:24 PM
Pro Web Slinger

Nice! Just about getting into true skyscraper territory.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 6:44 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Wow. This city just keeps growing. I mean, sure the map shows it'll be bigger but when the blocks fill out in 3D and it's pretty much all dense urban blocks with quite a few tall highrises... It's already looking like it'd be one of the very biggest urban inner cities of Finland (and Sweden!).
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the comments! Yeah, the inner city is going to be really dense in terms of Nordic cities, but on the other hand the city won't be as spread out as Nordic cities are, so I don't know if Halvoo would be as big as for example Stockholm is in terms of population.

Halvoo had spread to cover the whole width of Halvoonniemi cape by the end of 19th century. However, the west side comprised mostly of low-rise wooden buildings and they were mostly replaced between 1930's and 1970's. Here's a couple of examples of such redevelopments: the block closer to the camera was redeveloped in the 1930's and the other block in the 1950's and 1960's.

Section002_pic06 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Exterior work on the Cirrus Hotel Satamatorni has been completed.

Section002_pic07 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Satamatorni and Urhontorni.

Section002_pic08 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 2:44 PM
Pro Web Slinger

Cirrus Hotel looks good. How tall is it?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 11:59 AM

Thanks, Spidey. Cirrus Hotel Satamatorni is 77 meters tall.

Galleriakeskus ("Gallery Center") was one of the big redevelopment projects of 1960's. It contains galleries, shops and restaurants in the low-rise portion and two office towers. The taller tower was completed in 1967. It is 125 meters tall and was the tallest building in Halvoo from 1967 to 1988. It's still the fourth tallest. Upper half of the tower was converted to expensive apartments in 2014.

Section002_pic09 by Vellu04, on Flickr

A view from the Market Square.

Section002_pic10 by Vellu04, on Flickr

A view from Satamaradan puisto park.

Section002_pic11 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 1:09 PM
Pro Web Slinger

Now that is a skyscraper! Great job

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 6:11 PM

Thanks, spidey!

Aleksanterinpuisto park is divided into to parts by Kirkkokatu street. Going south on Helsingintie avenue there's high-rises from different eras. Closest to the camera is the northernmost of them. Lääkäriseurantorni was designed by the famous finnish architect Ivar Våg and it was completed in 1932. It is 52 meters tall. Next one to the south is Helsingintie 33 from the 1960's. It is 64 meters tall. Last but not least is one of the few 21st century high-rises in the city center. Headquarters of the Kaukovakuutus insurance company was completed in 2008 and is 87 meters tall.

Section002_pic12 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Looking southeast over Aleksanterinpuisto park.

Section002_pic13 by Vellu04, on Flickr

The tram is from the 3D Warehouse ("Citadis 302" by Lardman) with some cleanup and editing for rendering done by me.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 12:51 PM
Pro Web Slinger

The new update looks good, especially the Insurance HQ

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 4:43 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Even as the city keeps growing you are managing to keep the architectural variety up. And within realism for a Finnish city. Not that easy a task (the variety, at least). Do you do anything like this professionally? or is it just a hobby? have you considered helping out urban planning groups like the Lisää kaupunkia-groups?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Even as the city keeps growing you are managing to keep the architectural variety up. And within realism for a Finnish city. Not that easy a task (the variety, at least). Do you do anything like this professionally? or is it just a hobby? have you considered helping out urban planning groups like the Lisää kaupunkia-groups?
I like architectural variety, so I pay extra attention to it. Although I have be careful to not make it too varied to keep that Finnish city feel.

This is just a hobby, my profession has nothing to do with building architecture. And with a very limited free time I'm focusing just on my own project. Taking part in a group project might be interesting, though. If I had the time to spare...

Update: more blocks done.

Section002_pic14 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 12:43 AM
Pro Web Slinger

I'm slowly growing obcessed with the Kaukovakuutus Insurance HQ. The design just looks so good!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 2:39 PM

Thanks, Spidey. The Kaukovakuutus HQ turned out pretty decent, even though the design wasn't very polished.

Haltuk Corporation is a large Finnish retail company headquartered in Halvoo, the city where it was established. Their current headquarters were completed in 1975. A shopping mall forms the base and the offices are located in the 101 meters tall tower, which is the sixth tallest building in Halvoo.

Section002_pic15 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Section002_pic16 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Section002_pic17 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 3:33 PM
Pro Web Slinger

Another great update!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 9:16 AM
YIMBY co-founder

Yeah, the quality stays high. That building is completely believable for that era in our region. I kike the smaller new building across the street too, also very much buildings you'd find in the Nordics.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 10:15 AM

Again, thanks for the comments!

Here's a couple of blocks with mostly 1930's apartment buildings.

Section002_pic18 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Ivar Vågin puisto park in the evening.

Section002_pic19 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 12:56 AM
Bla Bla

hey Vellu do you planning on to get others contribute their work to the Map too like we get to have a block in the map and get our work done in that block then we submit it to you and you can put in on your final product. because i would love to get some office tower in that map.

and btw you use render on your sketchup right ? which program for rendering ?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKool View Post
hey Vellu do you planning on to get others contribute their work to the Map too like we get to have a block in the map and get our work done in that block then we submit it to you and you can put in on your final product. because i would love to get some office tower in that map.

and btw you use render on your sketchup right ? which program for rendering ?
Well, I'm going to keep this mostly to myself to keep it consistent looking and feeling Finnish. But you gave me an idea to arrange some design competitions for some future redevelopment areas (as I myself am not very good in designing 21st century buildings), although there won't be many of them available in the city center and there will some restrictions for example height restrictions. I already have in mind the new Bus Terminal tower, but that will be on section 3, so it will take time before I get there.

I'm using Twilight Render.

Here's another one of the large office buildings constructed in Halvoo in the 1970's. Kirkkokatu 96 was completed in 1976 and the taller middle section is 57 meters tall. One block south are the only remaining original low rise wooden buildings constructed in late 19th century in west side of Halvoonniemi cape. In the 19th century they were cheap apartments for poor factory workers, but today they are very sought after and expensive. Population density is today considerably lower, though.

Section002_pic20 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Street-level view of the Tehdastyöläisen kortteli ("Factory workers block").

Section002_pic21 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 8:46 PM

I like that street view picture.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 4:01 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Again, the level of realism is staying very high. All the eras represented feel right and look like they could be the real thing.

All the entrances to those 19th century buildings are from the back, right? Nice old buildings, but that's a long block of no entrances or shops. Not so awesome for creating lively streets - but that's realistic in it self.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup