HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 4:45 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Cira 2 does a very good job of enhancing the 30th St area!!! I'd like to see it be the tallest tower so far west of the Schuylkill!!! The parcel at 30th and Market, is perfect for a supertall, can anybody say 3000+ ft??? Imagine the tallest building in the world in the place where freedom began, right here in Philadelphia!!!
All we need is Multi Billionaire dollar Middle Eastern prince that has something to prove.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch+Eng View Post
All we need is Multi Billionaire dollar Middle Eastern prince that has something to prove.
Nothing says "where freedom began" like a wealthy Arab prince.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Cira 2 does a very good job of enhancing the 30th St area!!! I'd like to see it be the tallest tower so far west of the Schuylkill!!! The parcel at 30th and Market, is perfect for a supertall, can anybody say 3000+ ft??? Imagine the tallest building in the world in the place where freedom began, right here in Philadelphia!!!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 8:15 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
Delusion of Grandeur

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 8:28 PM

Shoot, why don't we just build a space elevator?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 8:58 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
...to Mars, so that we can claim it for Philadelphia. Then Cap the whole planet and create an artificial atmosphere. Then urbanize the entire planet....since money is no object.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 9:23 PM

Quote:
I already suggested that for this building (or at least attempted to start an unfounded rumor to that effect).

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch+Eng View Post
...to Mars, so that we can claim it for Philadelphia. Then Cap the whole planet and create an artificial atmosphere. Then urbanize the entire planet....since money is no object.
Ambitions are so low around here. I won't respect Philadelphia until they finally put a 10,000 footer in the Andromeda Galaxy.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 8:38 PM

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...-lot/77987110/

Brandywine continues selling spree.

Brandywine sells 1.6-acre surface parking lot in Downtown Wilmington to JPMorgan Chase for $6.5M.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 8:54 PM

Is that good or bad?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
Is that good or bad?
Think it's just a continuation of Brandywine selling off assets in order to fund their super duper top secret skyscraper plans.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Think it's just a continuation of Brandywine selling off assets in order to fund their super duper top secret skyscraper plans.
I agree, this parking lot sale is relative small potatoes considering they just made over $350 mil off the IRS building. I think it's clear they are selling off pieces in order to further new developments in Philadelphia.

On a side note, this is finally some good news for Wilmington. That parking lot has sat vacant for over a decade, but the whole time has had a big sign with a rendering of a fabulous mini-Cira Centre type tower for Wilmington (which of course never came to fruition). I always thought it was just another example of Wilmington's decline ...how that sign wasted away ...year after year....never to be built.

But - since Chase already has 2 buildings here, and is adding some 1800 jobs to the area, it looks like #3 will finally be built.

[IMG]IMG_0156

[IMG]IMG_0157

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
Is that good or bad?
They're looking to invest a ton of money into Philadelphia. They're likely selling off assets to prepare for new construction. Word is we'll here more about Cira II next year.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Word is we'll here more about Cira II next year.
So you mean next week?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 1:14 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
So you mean next week?
It could be as early as a few days if we're fortunate!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
I agree, this parking lot sale is relative small potatoes considering they just made over $350 mil off the IRS building. I think it's clear they are selling off pieces in order to further new developments in Philadelphia.
Agree. That's what I was getting at but didn't explicitly state it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
On a side note, this is finally some good news for Wilmington. That parking lot has sat vacant for over a decade, but the whole time has had a big sign with a rendering of a fabulous mini-Cira Centre type tower for Wilmington (which of course never came to fruition). I always thought it was just another example of Wilmington's decline ...how that sign wasted away ...year after year....never to be built.

But - since Chase already has 2 buildings here, and is adding some 1800 jobs to the area, it looks like #3 will finally be built.
The only reason JPMorgan Chase has been buying up the buildings it leases from Brandywine is because new IRS tax laws make it more appealing for corporations to own, rather than lease buildings. I agree Chase wouldn't buy this surface lot unless it was planning to finally develop this Pelli-designed tower (or something else, I suppose) as part of its employment expansion. We can all look forward to more frequent Philly-Wilmington SEPTA express trains in conjunction with that expansion as well.

Brandywine has been wanting to exit the entire Delaware market for a few years now, but that is more a reflection of their larger strategy than it is a commentary on Wilmington. 2016 is shaping up to be a huge year for Wilmington. Lots of really big news on the way.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 6:05 PM
BANNED

who else could be potential tenant for Cira 2? I think they really need to look outside the region. Most major CC employers have already made their decisions on relocation. Most of the old school suburban employers (I.e. vanguard and the like) aren't going to give up on sprawling office parks.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 8:07 PM
More of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
who else could be potential tenant for Cira 2? I think they really need to look outside the region. Most major CC employers have already made their decisions on relocation. Most of the old school suburban employers (I.e. vanguard and the like) aren't going to give up on sprawling office parks.
ACE Insurance. They are too big for their current building near 500 Walnut. If they moved wholly they could take up a whole Cira II.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 1:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Scale View Post
ACE Insurance. They are too big for their current building near 500 Walnut. If they moved wholly they could take up a whole Cira II.
interesting. i remember when they moved to their current location years back. Philly has snagged a few small and medium sized firms from the burbs in recent years. Hopefully we can get a big one soon. It shouldnt be that hard when you can offer space in a tower with generous state provided tax breaks.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
interesting. i remember when they moved to their current location years back. Philly has snagged a few small and medium sized firms from the burbs in recent years. Hopefully we can get a big one soon. It shouldnt be that hard when you can offer space in a tower with generous state provided tax breaks.
That and transportation cannot get much better than a few steps off 30th street station and the subway. Such a prime location.

Other one being 8th and Market.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects