HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 3:48 AM
Vancouver Moderator

It says it's "120-12480 No.1 Rd" so I'm guessing it moved. Apparently, course meals range from $38 to $95. Zen just changes the concept of Chinese meals to individual portions rather than sharing plates, however, not being a fusion restaurant.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 4:31 AM
Site 8 Lives

In that case, sorry for floating the false lead -- No.1 Road is probably too far to walk to from Canada Line.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 5:06 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
In that case, sorry for floating the false lead -- No.1 Road is probably too far to walk to from Canada Line.
No. 1 Road is just two kilometres away... the main problem is that it is in steveston -__-

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 5:30 AM

Here's a replacement for Zen - by the original owner:

Hakkasan - haven't been...No. 5 Rd - not close to the line...

http://www.vancouversun.com/story_pr...53952&sponsor=

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 6:14 AM

'Peaceful' restaurant near the new Cambie / Broadway stop is incredible. Try their beef roll and spicy cucumber. Its all the rage on some of the food forums

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 1:41 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amor de cosmos View Post
new series on the buzzer! things to do along the Canada Line:
1. daiso (japanese dept store)
2. beard papa's creampuffs
3. kube computers
4. arroy-d (thai restaurant)
5. yaletown restaurants on mainland

http://buzzer.translink.ca/index.php...e-canada-line/
Forgot about Mainland St in Yaletown. Browns isn't bad =) I love their Yam Fries =D

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 3:52 AM

I was gonna say Browns - its not bad a nice chain on the verge it seems

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 7:06 AM

I know I've plugged this place before, but it's great - Amacord Italian Restaurant in Yaletown. It's an excellent place for lunch, quiet elegance, tablecloths, and more amazingly lunch pastas are ~$13-14, which is really unheard of in Yaletown. entrees like chicken or veal run ~ $16-18. The prices rise by $2 per dish for the dinner menu, but still quite good. I like the frutti del mar (sea food pasta) - they don't skimp on the scallops, clams, etc. they also daily specials regularly.

The food is delicate - they use a light red sauce, not a heavy, chunky sauce that north american restaurants use. The proprietors are italian-canadians, of course, and it seems like a family-run place.

Now that it's connected by the canada line, would be easy to get there from the CBD for lunch...

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 9:14 AM

I expect a lot of people will take the train for lunch and travel back on the same ticket (within 90 min).

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 2:47 PM

Harvey's at YVR Arrivals Level!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 3:19 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I expect a lot of people will take the train for lunch and travel back on the same ticket (within 90 min).
you're right....

====

I heard that the Malaysian and Thai cuisine at Aberdeen is good...never tried it myself. (It's on Ground Level, near the marketplace)

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 7:57 PM

The Zen restaurant in Steveston appears to be a few months away from opening.

Aberdeen - take your pick. Within the mall, there's Guu (Jap), Fisherman's Terrace (Chinese), Tropika (Malaysian), Seventh Heaven (Chinese diner), among others.

Trixi's crepes in Cambie Village is one of my favs.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 9:10 PM

I had a great supper at the Korean BBQ restaurant at the entrance of Lansdowne Centre. Very tasty, reasonably priced, plus you can see it from the Lansdowne Station platform, so it definately counts as being SkyTrain-adjacent.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 9:06 PM

Circulated by Goldfish Pacific Kitchen in Yaletown:

Quote:
ZOOM ZOOM

After what feels like an eternity, you can now jump on the new Canada Line and avoid the hassle of parking and traffic when you dine at GOLDFISH.

The new station is 120 steps from us with the last train leaving at around 1am. It's a 4 minute ride from Waterfront to Goldfish front.

We’d like to reward your transit consciousness. Show us your ticket between 4 and 6:30pm and we’ll show you an appy hour item on us!
http://www.goldfishkitchen.com/menus....php?pageID=41

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 6:36 AM

Simple dim sum from the other side of Richmond

Continental Seafood
#150-11700 Cambie Rd.
Richmond
604-278-6331

Signature Drink: Tea, of course
Signature Dish: Deep-fried Squid

Rating: ***
Lunch & drinks for two: $40

With all the hype over the Canada Line, restaurants on the west side of Richmond have seen a sharp increase in diners from Vancouver. The east side of Richmond, however, is not bereft of likely haunts, which can often be found in the most unlikely places.

Take Continental Seafood. Located in a large strip mall at the corner of Cambie and No. 5 Roads, the unassuming storefront and bland interior are almost indistinguishable from hundreds of other such establishments throughout Richmond. Its attraction lies solely with the food, specifically, the dim sum luncheon. You can come here for dinner—the Peking Duck ($40) is killer—and work off the calories at the same time with the nightly karaoke and ballroom dancing, but my money is still on the day menu.

The old-fashioned pushcart service makes menus rather unnecessary—in fact, I didn’t see one until my third visit. The prices are pretty typical for dim sum in Richmond, ranging from $3 to $5.75 depending on the size and whether it’s a “deluxe” item. Three of us could feast like kings and walk away paying $20 each, or on more sparing days, a moderately-filling meal saw us each drop $10 and change. It’s wise to come early, before noon on weekdays, as this place fills up fast with local residents and workers from the surrounding industrial parks.

The service is lightning fast and efficient, empty bowls and dishes were removed promptly, and water glasses and tea pots were constantly being refilled, without us having to ask even once. There is no attempt to up-sell here—if you want something, fine, and if not…whatever.

Over the course of four visits, the group favourite was hands-down the deep-fried squid. Chinese cuisine tends to avoid tentacles, and these are beautifully thick, juicy bars, loosely tossed in coarse salt while hot, and sprinkled with the lightest amount of chili flakes. Pork dumplings were just okay, but the same balls with scallops on top were excellent. Shrimp rice rolls were also delicious—if a little drowned by the sauce. It is poured at the table, however, so if you’re quick, you can tell them to go easy on the soy. Crab claw balls were another group favourite—large, puffy, deep-fried spheres were speared with a small claw, and served with chili oil for dipping.

Desserts weren’t exceptional to my taste, but standbys like mango pudding and red bean cake seemed popular among our fellow diners, as well as a green-and-white pudding that I never got around to trying.

The food here is not the stuff of culinary legend, but for a solid, comforting dim sum lunch—at a reasonable price—it’s really quite nice.

Inniskillin’s New Releases

Just in time for the holidays, Inniskillin has released several new offerings from their small-lot Reserve and Discovery series. Winemaker Sandor Mayer seems to delight in experimenting with new grapes, and one of his most successful attempts is with Tempranillo, a black grape of Spanish origin. Mayer has created two versions from the 2007 vintage, a straight, medium-bodied red with notes of spicy oak and dark cherry ($29.99), and an ice wine version that boasts fresh apple, cherry and raspberry aromas ($99.99). Both available directly from the winery. inniskillin.com

Top Shelf

Bacio for a Cure
On Jan. 31, 2010, Mangia e Bevi Ristorante (2222 Marine Dr, W. Van) will be holding their third annual BACIO (Because a Cure is Obtainable) event in support of Lion’s Gate Oncology Clinic and B.C. Children’s Hospital Oncology Research. Tickets $95. www.mangiaebevi.ca

Dining Out

Gifts for Foodies
The Holy Trinity of Cookbooks? Perhaps, if you’re a fan of West, Blue Water Café and Araxi restaurants. (And if you’re not, you should be.) The three new releases are all available as a wrapped, inscribed set for $125. Order online at www.toptable.ca or at any of the restaurants.

Vista D’oro Farms & Winery is offering a special holiday package of their 2007 D’oro, a fortified, port-style wine, along with your choice of three of artisanal preserves, for $90. Favourites are the Turkish Fig with Walnut Wine, Spiced Cranberry with Ice Wine, and Green Walnut with Grappa. Call 604-514-3539 or visit www.vistadoro.com.

Food in Brief

Refuel, the new incarnation of the late Fuel Restaurant at 1944 West 4 Ave, is now open and serving lunch and dinner daily.

Chef Wayne Martin, of Fraîche and Crave restaurants, has launched Heirloom Catering just in time for the holidays, with Chef Andrew Sward at the helm.

http://www.metronews.ca/vancouver/li...hmond?pageno=2

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 9:17 PM
Site 8 Lives

Check out Maruchu, on the Canada Line near Aberdeen station (basically in the same plaze as Hon's, but at the very back. This is Japanese-style barbeque, or yakiniku. Well worth the trip. (but you might want to make reservations if you're going anytime after 5:30pm)

4580 No. 3 Road, #2065
Richmond, BC V6X4E8
Tel: (604) 214-3770

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
Check out Maruchu, on the Canada Line near Aberdeen station (basically in the same plaze as Hon's, but at the very back. This is Japanese-style barbeque, or yakiniku. Well worth the trip. (but you might want to make reservations if you're going anytime after 5:30pm)

4580 No. 3 Road, #2065
Richmond, BC V6X4E8
Tel: (604) 214-3770
Funny that you would mention this today. My girlfriend and I drove past Maruchu last night, and was thinking of trying it out, but haven't heard from friends who have been there. If it's worth the trip, then we're planning on going! Sounds good. Japanese BBQ. YUM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 7:08 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozero View Post
'Peaceful' restaurant near the new Cambie / Broadway stop is incredible. Try their beef roll and spicy cucumber. Its all the rage on some of the food forums
I've only been there once, but it didn't seem nearly as good as Sha Lin.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 1:13 AM

Surprised nobody's mentioned Chambar, by Stadium Skytrain station. For Canada Line, try Globe at the Fairmont YVR.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Surprised nobody's mentioned Chambar, by Stadium Skytrain station. For Canada Line, try Globe at the Fairmont YVR.
funny you mention that that place was just mentioned in an article in the san francisco paper - i posted the article in the general discussion sectio

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining