HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 1:08 AM
Capitalist

Manitoba Home Coming 2010

MANITOBA HOMECOMING 2010
PLANS YEAR-LONG CELEBRATION

Winnipeg, MB – May 26, 2008 – Manitoba Homecoming is going to be a year long celebration in 2010 to bring visitors, former and current Manitobans together, for events, festivals and an all around really great party!

"Manitoba will be rolling out the welcome mat and bringing former and current Manitobans together for something big, something special," says Co-Chair Mariette Mulaire, CEO, ANIM. "We’re planning a year full of opportunities to see old friends, visit family and really reconnect with Manitoba and all the great things going on here. We want people to rediscover our changing, growing province and diversity of people, cultures and activities."

Manitoba Homecoming 2010 will focus on the rich culture and traditions of Manitoba through special events, festivals, cultural events and community gatherings along with an emphasis on the opportunity for business and careers. It will generate positive economic benefits that will be a platform for a longer-term legacy. This special initiative will highlight the strengths of Manitoba’s communities and people, showcase the many new developments around the province and share the strong spirit of Manitobans throughout our 140th birthday celebrations.

"It’s with true prairie pride when I say that I’m thrilled that Homecoming 2010 will be using "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet" as their theme," says Randy Bachman. "To come back to Winnipeg after so many years of traveling the world and playing music will be a true return to the 60's – a time when the culture of Winnipeg and Manitoba shaped our music and became the soundtrack of many lives. I look forward to seeing all my friends again and encourage everyone to attend the celebrations. It’ll be a PARTY!!"

A marathon of events and celebrations will run throughout 2010 across the province. From partnerships with existing events and festivals to new stand alone events created specifically to celebrate Homecoming, there truly will be something for everyone.

"Our roots and the people we’ve grown up with are important to Manitobans. It’s time to call us all together again to rekindle those friendships and make new ones," says Co-Chair Doug Harvey, CEO, Maxim Truck & Trailer. "For those who return in 2010, they’ll wonder why they ever left. For those of us who’ve stayed, it will be a time to say with pride, 'welcome home, let us show you what we've done with the place'."

Manitoba Homecoming Inc. has been established as a non-profit corporation governed by a Board of Directors. Homecoming 2010 has received support from the province and city. The founding partners are Travel Manitoba, Destination Winnipeg and the Province of Manitoba.

Manitoba Homecoming 2010 - Official Launch
Monday, May 26th at 7:00 pm
The Forks – Under The Canopy

Source: www.manitobahomecoming2010.com

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 1:41 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Interesting...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 1:46 AM
Armchair urbanist

Just signed up for the newsletter...

So, will the Airport be done early 2010? Stadium ready? CMHR?

How about this, what can I do to make this homecoming beyond successful? (no sarcasm at all).

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 2:06 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
Just signed up for the newsletter...

So, will the Airport be done early 2010? Stadium ready? CMHR?

How about this, what can I do to make this homecoming beyond successful? (no sarcasm at all).
Answer: YES.. YES..& YES ... I had the same thought as well... and them smiled at the realization.

If you want to make this the biggest party Manitoba has ever seen .. join the push to make it a year to remember.. get as many Manitobans - exsisting and former on board .. and show the rest of Canada what Manitoba is all about.

Last edited by newflyer; Jun 10, 2008 at 2:34 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 2:37 AM
Capitalist

Great new video from Destination Winnipeg...

http://www.destinationwinnipeg.ca/video/

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 3:10 AM

^I don't know...looked a little amateur-ish, and a bit long. They should've showed some of the areas outside of Winnipeg as well...the beaches (Winnipeg/Grand/Victoria), Whiteshell, Oak Hammock, even Lockport. There wasn't a lot shown of Osborne/Corydon (or I missed it completely), etc. And every shot had as few people as they possibly could get! It's like they told everyone "move out of the way, we're filming!".

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 3:37 AM
Armchair urbanist

IDK, Frantic Films seems to know what they're doing. There's more to Winnipeg than just Corydon and Osborne, which the "commercial-esque" video represents. There's no shortage of arts, sports and community life here. So, I'll await your next rebuttal.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 3:45 AM

^No real rebuttal...that was just my first impression. I know there's more to Winnipeg than Corydon/Osborne, I just said they should have had a few more shots of that on a busy day...or Folklorama, etc. Just kind of comparing it to what other cities have done - and knowing Winnipeg has more to offer/show.

The lack of lakes/beaches shots is an oversight...

Given this is a promotion video to attract visitors (for business or pleasure), it just missed a few opptys to really show the city off.

Just my opinion.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 3:46 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yea that was odd they would not inclue nieboring atractions

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 12:28 PM

cmhr wont be ready

new stadium wont be ready

i'll be sending this to all my buddies in the west though.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 2:06 PM
Armchair urbanist

How about on the cusp of being ready? So at least people can say, "Cool, I want to be around for this".

Also, beyond the CMHR, it's time The Forks expand west of Waterfront Ave. At least convert a surface lot portion into more green space.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 2:58 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

I don't get it.

Is this just a party where a bunch of people from out of town show up and then when it's all over go back home to their jobs and homes?

Are Winnipeggers invited?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 4:20 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I don't get it.

Is this just a party where a bunch of people from out of town show up and then when it's all over go back home to their jobs and homes?

Why be invited when WE ARE the party!?

...wait, what!?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 4:51 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
yes, but you have to travel to either the ontario or sask border, step outside manitoba, and you're good to party

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 5:12 PM
Armchair urbanist

What's there to get? You've never been to a homecoming or reunion of some kind? Seems we're getting the opportunity to see this develop into fruition.

Also, if you're from Manitoba and are a current resident, then consider yourself a host.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 5:16 PM
Armchair urbanist

Hosting the 2010 World Juniors would be a great way to kick off the year. I hope the bidding committee can utilize that as leverage.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 6:03 PM

They should call this the "Manitoba Homecoming Social"...that'll get all the ex-MBers attention.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 7:13 PM
Armchair urbanist

Bad idea, as it's inherently obvious that socials would comprise a portion of any events planned that year.

Anyways, you keep setting them up and I'll keep knocking them down...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 7:27 PM
Mooderator

..someone say social?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 7:34 PM
Canadian Urbanite

How will CMHR be ready in 2 years? I didn't even think it was a finalized project or if all the funding had been granted.

Not to mention, that building I'd imagine will take considerable time to construct.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan