HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 5:34 PM

Kimball Art Center expansion draws 'largely positive' opinions

http://www.kimballartcenter.org

Open houses continue as City Hall considers the redone designs

By Jay Hamburger - The Park Record

http://www.parkrecord.com/park_city-...itive-opinions

Leonard Razin has been skiing in Park City since 1964, the opening year of the ski area that would eventually become Park City Mountain Resort.

Now living in Thaynes Canyon after retiring in Park City in 1994, Razin looks favorably at the idea to expand the Kimball Art Center. The historic building on Park Avenue dates to before Razin started visiting Park City, but he sees the expansion as something that fits well at the site.

Razin was one of the people who attended an open house at the Kimball Art Center on Saturday as the not-for-profit's leaders continue to engage City Hall in discussions about the expansion.

"I like the openness of it and the fact you can see. There's so much visibility into the building," Razin said about the expansion blueprints...

...The Kimball Art Center recently unveiled a redone concept for the expansion after an earlier one was widely criticized as a building that would not fit along Main Street. The expansion is planned for the art center's patio at the high-profile Main Street-Heber Avenue intersection.

A renowned Danish architectural firm, Bjarke Ingels Group, designed the first iteration and, after the criticism, the one that is now under consideration. City Hall is reviewing the Kimball Art Center's submittal against the municipal government's tight Old Town design guidelines.

The expansion would entail a 15,000-square-foot addition made of concrete to the building. The height would range from 32 feet tall to 46 feet tall. The expansion would double the square footage of the art center and include space for exhibitions and programs as well as 4,000 square feet for a Children's Interactive Discovery Center and 3,000 square feet for an education studio...

Three additional open houses are planned at the Kimball Art Center. The schedule:

• Wednesday from 2 p.m. until 4 p.m.

• Friday from 2 p.m. until 4 p.m.

• Saturday from 2 p.m. until 4 p.m.
More information is available about the expansion on the Kimball Art Center's website, www.kimballartcenter.org/building-proposal/. The art center is accepting comments via email at expansion@kimballartcenter.org.

http://www.kimballartcenter.org/building-proposal/

Last edited by delts145; Apr 3, 2014 at 9:32 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 12:16 PM

Valley Fair Mall has risen from near-death experience

Growth » A decade after appearing to be doomed, West Valley City shopping center is experiencing a revival that’s generating much excitement.

By Tom Wharton The Salt Lake Tribune

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...-fair.html.csp

West Valley City • Call the Valley Fair Mall the Lazarus of shopping centers.

In 2004 and 2005, it was almost dead. Owned by an indifferent out-of-state real estate company, it looked as though it would be razed like the Cottonwood Mall and replaced by a few large box stores.

But Valley Fair, which opened with great fanfare in 1969, refused to die despite benign neglect. When a shop closed, another tenant was usually there to take its place.

A combination of redevelopment agency investments by West Valley City, federal and state assistance, new local ownership in Satterfield Helm, work by brokers from Coldwell Banker Commercial Intermountain with experience in leasing Utah shopping centers and investments from national chains and local businesses such as the Larry Miller Group has brought Valley Fair back to life...

Last edited by delts145; Mar 29, 2014 at 1:03 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 2:20 PM

Modern office space rising in Cottonwood Heights

I know I know, I'm thinking the same thing. This, in a taller urban centric version, corporate mid to high rise, would have been beautiful downtown. The exterior materials and lobby are very elegant and impressive. If you click on the Trib. rendering images themselves, you'll get the larger format. You'll then be able to really appreciate the stone used and generous metal detailing. Really like the lobby too. Does someone know how to post the larger images?

http://www.cottonwoodpartners.com

Cottonwood Heights » Cornerstone I & II an elegant, $80 million addition to city’s commercial park.

By TONY SEMERAD | The Salt Lake Tribune

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...dings.html.csp

Cottonwood Heights • A major piece of commercial development is falling into place for Salt Lake County’s youngest city.

Construction began in late February on the first of two high-end office buildings called Cornerstone I and II in Cottonwood Corporate Center, the business park in Cottonwood Heights just south of the intersection of 6200 South and Interstate 215 near Old Mill Golf Course.

The $80 million project by Cottonwood Partners, a real estate-development company with primary offices in Park City, will offer 268,000 square feet of Class A office space, with completion of the first building slated for about a year from now.

The buildings go up as office space vacancy rates in the Salt Lake area’s suburban markets are at a five-year low, having closed 2013 at 11.1 percent, down from 17.3 percent in 2009. Similar spaces are under construction across the county — including several high-profile projects in downtown Salt Lake City — after a building lull related to the economic downturn.

"Everything is being leased up," said Brian Berndt, planning director for Cottonwood Heights, which incorporated in 2005. "This is one of those nice projects that adds a lot of value to the city."

With exteriors in red sandstone and glass, weathered copper and eucalyptus wood interior finishes and an elegant three-story glass lobby connecting the two buildings, the Cornerstone complex is intended to make a strong architectural impression, the developer said.

"It will be striking," said John L. West, CEO of Cottonwood Partners. "We felt this was a location that demanded a higher level of quality."

The new buildings will occupy the last parcel of open land in a 45-acre business development by Cottonwood Partners, constructed in stages over nearly two decades. It already features four office buildings directly next to I-215 occupied by technology and other companies such as Fusion-iO and Centershift and another building to the southeast, which serves as the regional headquarters of health insurer Regence Group-Blue Cross Blue Shield.

Several features of the Cornerstone buildings and similar projects reflect what industry experts say are major trends in new office space construction, as the businesses that lease such offices increasingly rely on workplace ambience and amenities to lure valuable young employees.

Elements ranging from visually appealing decor, convenient location, recreational facilities, integrated work and relaxation areas and even energy efficiency are increasing in demand by employers of workers born between 1980 and 2000, referred to as Generation Y, Echo Boomers and Millenials, said Tab Cornelison, senior vice president and office space expert at the commercial real estate firm CBRE.

"Tenants will pay more for cool and creative space if they understand they can use this space as a tool to attract and retain talent," Cornelison told a January industry gathering in Salt Lake City.

Along with its centerpiece lobby ­— done in crushed blue glass with a futuristic chandelier— the Cornerstone site will also offer a cafe, concierge services and high-speed Internet.

The site incorporates extensive open spaces on its grounds, including a system of walking and biking paths tied into trails leading up Big Cottonwood Canyon. There’s a golf course nearby and ski resorts just up the canyon. And the building offers showering facilities for an easier blend of work and play.

It is also situated to take advantage of its spot at the foot of the Wasatch Mountains. Said West: "This will have spectacular views."

Last edited by delts145; Apr 17, 2014 at 11:31 AM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 2:41 PM

Park City historic district continues makeover - Improvements » Town working on 10-year overhaul

Tom Wharton - The Salt Lake Tribune

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...trict.html.csp

The restoration of Park City’s historic Main Street is continuing.

The Historic Park City Alliance is working on a 10-year overhaul of pipes and sidewalks along the tourist town’s central commercial thoroughfare.

The first phase was completed last spring. Phase two is scheduled to begin April 1 and will include a gas line replacement of a 60-year-old line and installation of new granite sidewalks and curbs.

Private projects also underway include renovations to the Silver Queen building, Main Street Mall and the Rio Grande Building.

"The combined efforts of private landowners and the Park City Municipal Corporation provide much-needed improvements to our downtown," said Alison Butz, the Historic Park City Alliance’s executive director. "Historic Park City is regarded as a charming historic downtown district. In order to maintain the charming nature, it is critical we dedicate resources to responsibly care for the district."

Last edited by delts145; Apr 4, 2014 at 12:37 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillbillbill View Post
I wouldn't lump that business park in with downtown Midvale since it is on 72nd and downtown is more built around 7800 south. That development is pretty much your typical suburban business park. Trax is right there so that is nice but be prepared to walk through a bunch of parking lots to get anywhere. 3 office buildings (IHC, FLSmidth, and Savage) plus a hotel are completed.
Bingham Junction - There's also a ton of townhomes, apartments, condos going up everywhere there in addition. As well new retail. It's not a bad area considering multiple Trax stops. But it still leaves some to be desired in it's walkability.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 5:55 AM

Riverton Park / Dome Church replica

I was visiting friends in Riverton and saw this is finally going up:

Last edited by Stenar; Apr 10, 2014 at 6:06 AM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 12:51 PM

^^^^^

Is that trying to replicate/homage a Riverton church that was originally in the area? I don't quite get it.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 5:39 PM

I remember Billbillbillbill talking about that. Yeah, it's a tribute to the 19th Century Tabernacle that originally occupied the site. Looks quite nice, at least it will be if they execute it as it implies in the rendering.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 6:05 PM

Got it. That's kind of what I was thinking. In another thread we were mentioning McChurches or cookie cutter LDS chapels or whatever; I think this region lost a huge architectural heritage when those old stake tabernacles and other churches were wiped out in favor of new unified plans. Nice to see at least a memory of one inspire someone.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 9:44 PM
Transit Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I remember Billbillbillbill talking about that. Yeah, it's a tribute to the 19th Century Tabernacle that originally occupied the site. Looks quite nice, at least it will be if they execute it as it implies in the rendering.

Old one looks better. Nothing modern comes close to the artisanship of a century ago. I can look out my window and see details at the top of the Walker Center and Hotel Monaco. You can't see very well from the street but the detail is really cool modern stuff trying to look old always looks not so good.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post

It was a 20th Century church, built in 1908 torn down in 1940 in order to build a previous Peterson's grocery store.

I'm sure the new one will look like crap.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 11:42 PM

They tore that down to build a grocery store. Wow, great sense of community pride. Of course, land was so scarce in that area. There must not have been another alternative.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 1:17 AM

So I saw a billboard today on 5600 west and about 2500 S stating a new Cinamark theater being built in West Valley. I can only assume that is what they are building to the East of the Target.

https://maps.google.com/maps?client=...d=0CKoBEPwSMAs

Heading down south on 5600 West they are finally building out the road from 7000 S to 7800 south. They will build a Smiths Grocers at 78th with a round about at the same time. It's about time.

Also for the summer construction

http://fox13now.com/2014/04/10/utah-...ects-for-2014/

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 6:59 AM

Jeez aren't there enough movie theaters already? Just in the last 2-3 years we've had new theaters in Farmington, Centerville, Draper, and at Valley Fair...seems like Cinemark and Larry Miller are trying to one-up each other with each passing year. I heard rumors a year or two back of a new Megaplex that's expected to be built at the old Cottonwood Mall location, too. Not sure what came of that though.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Jeez aren't there enough movie theaters already? Just in the last 2-3 years we've had new theaters in Farmington, Centerville, Draper, and at Valley Fair...seems like Cinemark and Larry Miller are trying to one-up each other with each passing year. I heard rumors a year or two back of a new Megaplex that's expected to be built at the old Cottonwood Mall location, too. Not sure what came of that though.
This new movie theatre isn't anywhere near any of those other movie theaters. People on the west side deserve movie theaters, too.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 1:36 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Movie theaters are always packed. The demand is there and we can never have enough.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 6:56 PM

Yeah I suppose so, especially with how many big families we have. We've just had so many pop up in such a short time. But if they can all continue to get business and give people closer options to watch movies then it's reasonable.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 9:44 PM
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
This new movie theatre isn't anywhere near any of those other movie theaters. People on the west side deserve movie theaters, too.
When I lived in West Valley, the only theater near my house was built in the 80's and was really crummy. It was always a drive to get to a nicer theater.

And yeah, every time I see a new movie it's packed.

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 3:39 AM
The Drifter

5 floor building just North of Fashion Place Mall. Not sure exactly what it will be for.

Untitled by steven.fidler80, on Flickr

Hotel just off State and 53rd looks to be ready to open mid to late Summer time and is looking good.

Hotel and senior housing in Murray's downtown area. Looks like the houses South of the senior housing are empty and have for sale signs up. Lets hope something nice ends up going into there location. These seem a little out of place when viewed from 180 E. (Center Steet) since everything there is all single family homes.

I have said this before but Murray is sure moving in a good direction. Murray has a great location in the Salt Lake Valley to allow it to become quite a city and has the best chance of having a true 2nd downtown for the valley.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 1:34 PM

1 - Thanks for the update again!

2 - You must be driving your wife bonkers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West