HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Is there a timetable or a link for this? Would be nice to see that area of State St. livened up a little. Lots of potential with the college campus on one end and The Crossing going up at the other. Right now it's basically a dead section.

And oh how I wish that awful suburban-style OC Tanner corporate campus there would be moved or overhauled. But that's a whole other story.

Also, minor nitpick, but that's within SLC limits, so shouldn't that be in the main SLC topic?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 3:32 AM

A lot of residential booming along the Trax lines.

The Via - They're nearly finished with the 2nd building to this apartment complex at the 3900 S station.

New apartments at the Birkhill / Fireclay station in Murray. This area is becoming a decent urban neighborhood.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:21 AM

I agree with the Fair Clay area comment. It's difficult to demonstrate in pictures how dense that neighborhood actually feels

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 5:22 AM
The Drifter

Fire Clay area is probably the best example of a true TOD along TRAX. With all the housing its time to start getting some of its own retail, commercial and maybe a hotel or two.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 8:14 AM

I had a rare day off with no plans, so I decided to take a picture tour around SSL and Sugarhouse.

Sorry for the long post, also sorry to start off with boring empty lots lol, there's actual development pics further down in this post. I made sure to hit a few under construction developments (there's some more pics in the Sugarhouse thread as well) and finished off with Granite High pictures.

I've highlighted a few areas near Brickyard that need a serious makeover. Didn't fully realize how neglected this area had become!

This dead strip mall just across 33rd from Brickyard seems like a real prime area for a kick-ass new development, don't you think? I can only dream of the possibilities!

Gunn Ave. (the road connecting 13th East to Highland just behind the old Villa theater and barely northeast of Brickyard) is in pretty sad shape. Another prime development spot?

Some poor bastards have front-porch views of this beauty:

These abandoned storefronts have been seriously neglected and vandalized, but it DOES make for some pretty neat if small-scale "urban photography":

I don't know if these have been posted about in here at all, but there's a new townhome complex going up on Highland Drive and I believe the corner of Zenith Ave. (2950 South) (correct me if I'm wrong?). Also idk if this technically should be in the SLC, Sugarhouse, or MSA thread.

I made sure to get a WinCo progress picture:

There's also an apartment complex going up on the corner of 3350 South and Sue Street (between Main & West Temple). I've been watching it go up for a bit as this is my neck of the woods but this is the first time I really came up to it and checked it out. There's no sign or rendering that I can see. Does anybody know anything about this?

The Pie on the corner of 2nd East and 33rd South actually looks like it's almost ready to open. Only took two years...maybe at this rate it will actually be open before WinCo.

And finally, some pictures of the beginnings of Granite High coming down. It's bittersweet, seeing as it's such an important building (and architecturally interesting as well). I still have mixed feelings about the plan for the area, but I love the development this developer put in on 3rd East, so I have hopes it will turn out nice. I just wish they could've turned it into a park or rec center of some sort...there's a lack of green space and recreational opportunities in this part of the city. But it's too late now, time to embrace the future I suppose.

I have more Granite High pictures if anybody is interested, I made sure to take quite a few (although some didn't turn out great).

Last edited by bob rulz; Jun 30, 2017 at 11:46 AM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 11:40 AM

Ok, I read a few pages back in the Sugarhouse thread, and those apartments on Highland Dr. were posted about in there, and are on the corner of Crandall Ave. (not Zenith Ave) and Highland Dr.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 3:07 PM

Thank you for the pictures. No need to apologize for a long post when it's full of pictures.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:01 PM

I live right up the road from the townhome project on Highland and Crandall. It's a pretty nice area with several pretty good restaurants right there on Highland (sushi, Italian, Indian) within walking distance, but as you showed, there are plenty of empty lots and dilapidated structures between Highland and 13th east as well; prime for redevelopment for sure.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 6:33 AM
The Drifter

I am in the beginning of "another" move hence the reason for my User Title under my name. I will be up in Taylorsville getting the new place ready to move into next week and I hoping to take some time with my wife and wander around the Fireclay area. Been awhile since I was last there and kinda interested in how it is coming along. I will make sure to take a few pictures while I am there.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 10:00 AM

As several of you have pointed out, it would seem like it's high time to get some commercial vibrancy into that Fireclay neighborhood. Also, I was noticing that the TRAX station needs to move forward with it's conceptual proposals. I remember those original renderings of that station stop were pretty cool. Seems like there's enough residents moving into that neighborhood to start pushing their political weight around.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 10:47 PM

Does anyone know how to access the 4th development thread for salt lake city? I can no longer find it on my computer. I googled 5th development thread for Salt Lake city but nothing comes up.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 1:01 AM

Bob Rulz,

-The site south Brickyard site is definitely prime for something new.. I could see a 5+ story apartment building moving in there.

-The Pie Pizzeria on 33rd. Funny I joke about that too haha

-There's also the Tony's bar which I'm surprised hasn't turned into anything yet

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Does anyone know how to access the 4th development thread for salt lake city? I can no longer find it on my computer. I googled 5th development thread for Salt Lake city but nothing comes up.
Check the first page, it should have a link there at the top. I'll update the projects when I'm back but I'm in Cambodia right now and my internet access is bad.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 3:39 PM
West bench livin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=212761

or from the main menu, Other > Archive

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 2:48 PM

Loveland Living Planet Aquarium in Draper plans to expand
Utah's aquarium is overflowing.

The Loveland Living Planet Aquarium in Draper will build a multimillion-dollar expansion to house its 80,000-square-foot Science Learning Center, the aquarium announced in a news release.

"The goal is to get kids interested in science through visits, through camps, through after-school programs," said Brent Andersen, founder and CEO of Loveland Living Planet Aquarium. "Creating that next generation of scientists to come along and get interested in science and follow through as a career is one of the biggest reasons why we're doing this."

Utah's aquarium is overflowing. The Loveland Living Planet Aquarium in Draper will build a multimillion-dollar expansion to house its 80,000-square-foot Science Learning Center, the aquarium announced in a news release. "The goal is to get kids interested in science through visits, through camps, through after-school programs," said Brent Andersen, founder and CEO of Loveland Living Planet Aquarium. "Creating that next generation of scientists to come along and get interested in science and follow through as a career is one of the biggest reasons why we're doing this."

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 3:53 PM

Cool building! I know you're all probably thinking what I'm thinking, "I wish this was Downtown." I'm sure though that being at the epicenter of all those kids is very good for business.

Courtesy of Loveland Living Planet Aquarium This rendering shows the new Science Learning Center at the Loveland Living Planet Aquarium in Draper. The new facility is designed to mirror the Wasatch Mountains and will open sometime in 2020.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 7:37 PM
The Drifter

IMG_1373 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1376 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1378 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1375 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1377 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1380 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1322 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1323 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1336 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1335 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1340 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1325 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1330 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1345 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1348 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1343 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1349 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1350 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1354 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1355 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1351 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1362 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1356 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

IMG_1369 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 7:12 PM

Nice!^^^

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 9:48 PM
The Drifter

I was kinda impressed with the foot traffic in the Fireclay area for being 105 degrees on that day. Between all the housing in the area and what will be available soon, I am disappointed in the retail options. There are the commercial spaces in the original building but they are just businesses and not shops or restaurants. Nothing that would make the area a destination.

This building is nice since it adds one additional floor for some height variation but does nothing at the street level. Brick wall and tall windows should be replaced with shop spaces. So close to the TRAX station with this building and it could have been so much more. Also looks to be using a huge surface parking lot behind and to the south of the building. Murray needs to start enforcing new zoning laws for that area to encourage a better urban environment.

IMG_1354 by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 9:30 PM

Despite alumni efforts to preserve its buildings, demolition begins on historic Granite High School

http://www.sltrib.com/news/5493730-1...o-preserve-its

Quote:
Granite High School, which has been a Salt Lake Valley landmark since 1907, will be gone by the end of August — and construction will begin before then on 76 single-family homes that will take the place of what was once the school's baseball diamond.

Plans for the rest of the land on the north side of the 27-acre property are still in flux. Though slated for commercial development, the South Salt Lake City Council would need to rezone the area for such use before any projects could move forward. South Salt Lake Mayor Cherie Wood previously vetoed the location for a Walmart grocery store, and the City Council, which favored it, couldn't muster the votes to override her veto.

South Salt Lake Councilman Mark Kindred said the Planning Commission recently denied the commercial plan, which he expects to come before the council for consideration in the next few weeks.

With the buildings still standing, though gutted, Eatchel said he hasn't lost hope that they could be preserved — particularly because he said the city and its residents are still fighting against the commercial development proposal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West