Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hruski View Post
This + 181 Fremont + 50 1st St are enough to make SF's skyline behind only NYC/Chicago, as far as North American city skylines go.
It'll be amazing.

But let's keep our fingers crossed that the economy stays good, and that 50 first (or some other project) doesn't somehow incur the full wrath of the NIMBYs, leading to severe development restrictions. You'd think there would be no problem given that the vast majority of highrises built over the past 15 years weren't killed, including the city's new tallest...but you never know in this city. I'm always afraid that something will push Art Agnos/Sue Hestor/Aaron Peskin/other assorted rich NIMBYs to hulk out and form some kind of NIMBY Voltron that lays waste to any project taller than four stories.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 12:53 AM

this thing has been "uc" for a year now. when will we start seeing visible evidence of the tower? For all we know they could be building a missile silo!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 1:26 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by unanimity View Post
this thing has been "uc" for a year now. when will we start seeing visible evidence of the tower? For all we know they could be building a missile silo!
Lots of work when it comes to below-grade. It will rise. Look at Nordstrom for example; how much work is being done and how long its been when it comes to the excavation and pre-steel work. Now pull up ur pants and don't go streaking yet... still has a little more to go before we see it race towards the sky. When it does start to rise, then you may do that.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unanimity View Post
This tower is about 4 months behind 181 Fremont, so if you want to see what is coming next just look at that thread!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 5:20 PM

A new pic from Sfgate/SPUR - Looks like the Salesforce Tower has an additional piece to the crown - kind of a 'coned-over-lighthouse' look. Could this be part of the lighting structure addition?

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/place/...es-5975936.php

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 5:28 PM

Looks like a ghost placeholder for what the height is *actually* going to be. Good eyes.

This looks much better imo, the taper is much more in line with the entire shape of the building.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 12:00 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.wsj.com/articles/city-liv...rms-1419544586

City Living Lures Technology Firms
Move to Urban Clusters Seeks to Foster Collaboration Among Employees

By ELIOT BROWN
Dec. 25, 2014

Quote:
.....In San Francisco, Twitter took over much of an enormous Art Deco building that formerly housed a wholesale furniture mart and all of an adjacent building, which it plans to connect with a sky bridge.

Nearby, Salesforce.com this year made a big bet that it would keep growing, signing up to lease half of what is to be the city’s tallest skyscraper. That structure will be clustered with another tower set to be fully occupied by Salesforce, which offers online software to automate sales and other functions, and a third tower where the company occupies most of the space.

Parker Harris, co-founder of Salesforce, said the company benefits when employees work near each other. When Salesforce considered whether to lease so much space in the new tower, it decided “if we don’t do it, someone else is, and we’re going to be spread out all over San Francisco.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 3:03 PM

If they are adding an art piece/lighting addition to the top, it seems like the overall height of the tower will be raised. That could be a 50 foot addition right there making the Transbay Tower the tallest building in California and West of the Mississippi. I'm pretty sure someone hinted at a height increase before.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 8:28 PM

It would be the tallest building in all of North (and South) America outside of New York and Chicago (and probably Philadelphia). Quite impressive!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 11:42 PM

I don't see anything different about the top of the transbay tower. Are you referring to the top of 50 first just behind it?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall/awkward View Post
I don't see anything different about the top of the transbay tower. Are you referring to the top of 50 first just behind it?
If we look more closely, I believe you are correct. The top of the Saleforce Tower and 50 First Street align at this particular view angle to almost appear as a ghost extension at the top of Salesforce Tower.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 1:22 AM

Ha! You are right! What a perfectly appropriate optical illusion!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Ha! You are right! What a perfectly appropriate optical illusion!
Well there is clearly a break in the course of the tower structure whatever that means. If you go back one page on this thread there are rumors of a possible height change.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall/awkward View Post
Yep, I noticed that after I posted that picture - regardless, great tower, and I'm still excited to see what they do with the lighting, even if it doesn't include any extra height.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
Yep, I noticed that after I posted that picture - regardless, great tower, and I'm still excited to see what they do with the lighting, even if it doesn't include any extra height.
Its not an optical illusion, there is clearly a division at the top of the Transbay Tower, the tower is divided into two parts. The previous renderings don't show this. Unless they pulled it out of thin air, which I doubt.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 6:05 PM

I'm pretty sure it's an optical illusion...and I'm pretty sure the only things we've heard in regards to a height increase have come from hopeful forumers, not from any official sources. It would be nice, but im not sure its actually going to happen.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 9:20 PM

That's clearly an optical illusion. Not to mention why would a super secret height increase be given out to SPUR and SFGate for a picture, as opposed to staying under wraps?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Its not an optical illusion, there is clearly a division at the top of the Transbay Tower, the tower is divided into two parts. The previous renderings don't show this. Unless they pulled it out of thin air, which I doubt.
Onn...you are correct it is not an optical illusion. A few people commented on her that it is the top of the 50 First St. tower which from the perspective would be aligned with the Salesforce Tower and directly behind it. I believe that to be the case also and also that it does not have anything to do with Salesforce Tower. The renderings for 50 First Street show that the cown of the building will have the shape of what you believe to be an addition to the Salesforce Tower.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 6:09 AM

The top of 50 First Street is actually more of an elongated hexagon shape in plan. This can be seen if one looks more closely at the rendering.

Perhaps more height can be added as long as it does not add significant shadows. For now, we only know of the possibility of some sort of added art work at the top of Salesforce Tower. Such artwork should be clearly visible from several miles away.

Source: San Francisco Planning

By the way, Seattle's talks for what could be the new tallest American tower outside of Chicago and New York is not yet a solid proposal.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 1:42 AM
She needs her space

This is kind of case in point here - SF's skyline is simply a much larger conglomeration of buildings with not a substantially smaller amount of "very" tall buildings greater than 700ft (and with time that gap should narrow) and a significantly higher amount of tall (500-700 ft) and less tall towers, over a greater area, with much much higher density filling in the spaces. The view above doesn't even capture Mid-Market, which should have a decent skyline all on its own (now) and certainly in the future.

I think Philly's skyline is more shapely, though, but SF's (and Miami's clearly) skyline sheer size is starting to get into that level (where NYC and Chicago's have been for 100 years now) where there's just a tabletop of uniformly tall buildings with occasional very tall buildings poking up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Cool aerial showing a lot of projects under construction downtown and in Mission Bay:

source

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture