HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 8:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post

Montreals sprawl in general is more like the US than you see elsewhere in Canada, more haphazard, exurban, less dense, no sidewalks, larger lots, less walkable, etc. To some that is all good as it leads to the space and privacy people seek in the suburbs but from a planning and land-use perspective it's a bit of a nightmare. The complete lack of sidewalks is what I find the most astounding.
I still find Montreal's sprawl is more tightly packed than what you see in the U.S., and also way more mixed density -probably even more mixed density than you see in the GTA and Ottawa. Though I agree it's haphazard and messy.

And the commercial areas in Quebec suburbs tend to replicate the reasonably dense strips that you have in the older suburbs, like Kingston Rd. in Scarborough or Boul. Taschereau on Montreal's south shore.

Whereas in the U.S. newer suburban commercial areas are extremely spaced out. This is an example from a medium-sized metro (Syracuse) but you see this type of development even in the greater New York City area:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.18578...2!8i6656?dcr=0

Most of what you see here is "built out". There isn't any provision to add more stuff in this space.

Suburban areas in Quebec that are this "airy" are always fairly new and aren't mature yet and have zoning that anticipates and even favours densification of commercial uses. To turn them into your community's very own Boulevard Taschereau.

Again, it doesn't make it more attractive, but it is denser.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 8:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Montreals sprawl in general is more like the US than you see elsewhere in Canada, more haphazard, exurban, less dense, no sidewalks, larger lots, less walkable, etc. To some that is all good as it leads to the space and privacy people seek in the suburbs but from a planning and land-use perspective it's a bit of a nightmare. The complete lack of sidewalks is what I find the most astounding.
I still find Montreal's sprawl is more tightly packed than what you see in the U.S., and also way more mixed density -probably even more mixed density than you see in the GTA and Ottawa. Though I agree it's haphazard and messy.

And the commercial areas in Quebec suburbs tend to replicate the reasonably dense strips that you have in the older suburbs. Think of shinier versions of Kingston Rd. in Scarborough or Boul. Taschereau on Montreal's south shore.

Whereas in the U.S. newer suburban commercial areas are extremely spaced out. This is an example from a medium-sized metro (Syracuse) but you see this type of development even in the greater New York City area:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.18578...2!8i6656?dcr=0

Most of what you see here is "built out". There isn't any provision to add more stuff in this space.

Suburban areas in Quebec that are this "airy" are always fairly new and aren't mature yet and have zoning that anticipates and even favours densification of commercial uses. To turn them into your community's very own Boulevard Taschereau.

Again, it doesn't make it more attractive, but it is denser.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So if my retail/community space environment is going to look like that above (as it does in many places) anyway, I'd much rather my house and street look like this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Rue...9!4d-75.736155
That is a pretty established neighbourhood and ones from a similar time period look similar here but no one really builds like that anymore.

An example of that here would be this (this road btw is likely being upgraded and will have a sidewalk in the future). Sure it "looks" ok, but trying walking down it enjoyably.
https://goo.gl/maps/xFNrz1ceUA12

The sidewalk is only going to make it a better street. The aesthetic won't be lost, that comes with maturity.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 10:46 PM

My corner of an older section of Moncton.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.10889.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 12:47 AM

I rather kill myself than live in that mississauga example, but we really should stay on topic!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 1:48 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
They are a thing in Ontario also and I have a couple theories as to why. One is just simply there seems to be less double garages in Quebec (Montreal anyways) which allows developers to stick a single car garage on the side of the house where a double wouldn't fit..
I was looking at my street this evening and I can confirm that double garages most definitely aren't the norm here. I am in an upper middle class neighbourhood with single-family homes built 10-15 years ago. Maybe 10% of the houses have double garages. The vast majority have a single garage though some have a one-and-a-half garage.

Lot widths here are definitely big enough to accommodate two-car garages but of course there is a bit of a trade-off in terms of the "curb appeal" of the house. But in areas like mine just across the river like Orleans, Barrhaven and Kanata every single house has a double garage, and their lots are generally narrower than ours.

There are other differences in housing between the two sides of the river, such as flooring: you almost never see carpeting in a nicer house in Quebec whereas it's still quite common in Ottawa suburbs. But the overall square footage in houses in the Quebec side is smaller - The living room + family room and dinette + dining room setup is far from being as standardized in Quebec as it is in Ontario. Most Quebec homes have only one eating space and one entertaining space on the ground floor - and this goes for nicer homes too.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 2:05 AM

Older houses don't have double garages, but they often have single car garage or carports.
most people will use their garage as a 2nd shed .

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 3:22 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

my house is a work in progress picked it up in the fall for 5k (currently house sitting got a cabin 7 miles outa town i can stay in during the summer till i got it ready to live in

so far ive pushed the roof back up as it was sagging 6inches in the midle added new supports as they were non esistant, cleaned the junk from the previous owner. gutted the bathrooms got power back on. put a new electric furnace in it and ripped out the old oil furnace

re-positioned and replaced some rotten columns in the basement resulting in lvling my floor.

the living room havent figured out how to get this coutch out yet might have to take out a window to get it out scraches head

this room will be getting gutted and turned into a synth lab allready started ripping out the raised floor

once it warms up i hope to take a gas powered pressure washer to get the paint off the cedar siding and oil it and accent it with blue trim
gotta repair some windows as well kids broke a couple on it last summer

something cool i found in the junk left by the old owner

and this week i pay for the empty lot across the lot from me that has a garage on it

house has some interesting history was shiped via cat train roads in 1953 when the town of sherridon was literaly packed up and moved 175 miles to lynn lake
Video Link

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 3:41 AM

Setting is beautiful!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
the living room havent figured out how to get this coutch out yet might have to take out a window to get it out scraches head

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 5:13 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
my chain saw is out at the cabin atm 20minut hike through the bush at this tome of yr and the shed is snowed in really good with a 8 foot high drift blah....

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 2:38 AM

Cool house 1ajs. Good on ya making a go of it up in Lynn Lake. Beautiful part of the province.

I have to admit, where you wrote “synth lab” I read meth lab at first

Cheers mate

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Older houses don't have double garages, but they often have single car garage or carports.
most people will use their garage as a 2nd shed .
About Half the houses in My neighborhood do not have garages. Built out in about 1974. There is no way to build one in my yard. the space between the 2 houses on either side are to close.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
About Half the houses in My neighborhood do not have garages. Built out in about 1974. There is no way to build one in my yard. the space between the 2 houses on either side are to close.
I'm liking my under-the-house garage so far. I feel like Batman. If Batman drove a Jetta. And because Batgirl's F150 crew cab won't fit in it.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 11:04 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Not to distract from this riveting discussion on sidewalks, but going back to our homes - I live on the bottom floor of a 3.5-storey 1910s walk-up apartment building in the west end. Not going to post the exterior, but here's my living room. It's a rental, so the finishes aren't my choice; and I'm poor so most of the furniture consists of old Ikea hand-me-downs from my parent's basement, but I do what I can to make it livable…

And here's a floorplan I measured out and drew up to arrange my furniture:

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 11:59 PM
sick transit, gloria

^That looks like a great use of space! Love the few walkups that Toronto has.

I would post a pic but I think my girlfriend would NOT be impressed...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
^That looks like a great use of space! Love the few walkups that Toronto has.

I would post a pic but I think my girlfriend would NOT be impressed...
You guys are cowards. I didn't ask mine for permission!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
No kidding!
The City of Sherbrooke is the worst cheapskate ever when it comes to picking up large trash items like mattresses and couches - typically, not a single pickup between July 1st and May of the following year! - so I've often had to saw couches with my sawzall into smaller parts, and rip the foam from mattresses to put that in bins, with the metal going to my scrapmetal pile.

(By contrast, in Florida it's picked up every single week throughout the year, which is one of the few things that make a landlord's life incredibly convenient over there vs here.)

Out of curiosity, how's cumbersome trash collection in other provinces and cities? Is it also a rare event that happens about as often as equinoxes?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 1:03 AM

I don't think it happens here, we have a 1 bag per week limit and can purchase labels for an extra bag. I don't know how other people deal with it but I either borrow a dump trailer or take it to the bin at work.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 1:08 AM
See ya down under, mates

Last edited by Pinion; Apr 18, 2018 at 1:19 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada