HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 2:42 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Hmm.. I still maintain that this looks like a mishmash of different architectural styles. It doesn't look like the developers cheaped out, but it might have looked nicer with a simpler, more elegant design.

As I've said before the photos also make me wish that All Saints had been situated a little differently. It is an impressive building but it's in a strange location. It's too bad it wasn't built, say, at the visual terminus of Victoria Park.
It certainly turned out better than I had feared, but from seeing that photo I would say that my main complaint is that the cathedral is dominated by the new building. Too bad that they couldn't have put the steeple on it without the church sinking, as that would have helped it stand out more. Instead it is a moderately impressive building that is now just blending into background because of the dominance of the buildings next to it.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
It certainly turned out better than I had feared, but from seeing that photo I would say that my main complaint is that the cathedral is dominated by the new building. Too bad that they couldn't have put the steeple on it without the church sinking, as that would have helped it stand out more. Instead it is a moderately impressive building that is now just blending into background because of the dominance of the buildings next to it.
I've never considered that cathedral to be that grand.

Any in any case, Christians are suppose to be humble, so I'm sure they don't mine.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 10:43 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Interesting shot of Victoria Park from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victori...x,_Nova_Scotia

One day I hope the parking lots south of the park will be redeveloped appropriately.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 11:18 PM

That's a pretty impressive angle on a block I don't usually think of as very impressive, but it really highlights how meh the building is—it could've been an okay background structure, if not for those chapeau-peaks on the roof, which give it that metastasized chalet look, like it's pretending to be a smaller building than it really is. Silly. It works on a house, not a nine-storey, block-wide mid-rise.

I also completely agree with beyeas, in that it really does overwhelm the cathedral. That'd be fine if it were a better building than the cathedral, but it isn't.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 11:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The sad thing is that I could even imagine the many unnecessary peaks and other details of the building adding to the cost. It probably would have been cheaper to do a flat roof (possibly green roof), and those are generally more appropriate for institutional-scale buildings.

It's a little strange to think of what has happened to architecture. In the past, average people were probably no more sophisticated than today in terms of how judging building designs, and there was little municipal planning, but the level of design of major buildings was much higher. Had something like this been built in Halifax in 1860 or 1930 it would have looked great.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
The sad thing is that I could even imagine the many unnecessary peaks and other details of the building adding to the cost. It probably would have been cheaper to do a flat roof (possibly green roof), and those are generally more appropriate for institutional-scale buildings.

It's a little strange to think of what has happened to architecture. In the past, average people were probably no more sophisticated than today in terms of how judging building designs, and there was little municipal planning, but the level of design of major buildings was much higher. Had something like this been built in Halifax in 1860 or 1930 it would have looked great.
It's true—it's like the default quality of a run-of-the-mill building has gone from 8/10 to 3/10. Even the least impressive old buildings tend to be plain, at worst, rather than actively ugly.

But I have a theory (unproven, mind you) that design in most things, including architecture, bottomed out sometime in the 70s-90s. I think we're on a slow upswing. Ten years ago, looking at new development proposals was a game of "Oh man, how bad is it going to be?" Now, there's often genuine cause for excitement. Maybe it has to do with the slow swing back toward urban design over suburban design, or with the waning of postmodernism, or with something else. Who knows, but I'd like to believe we'll be able to look back on the early 2000s as the beginning of a better era.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 1:19 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The urban-suburban balance must be a large part of it. Many developers are just not used to "city" concerns, and city buildings in Halifax were lower value in the 90's than they were in previous decades.

I think the next few decades will be great for Halifax. It's arguably an advantage that the economy is relatively good now compared to the 1970's-1990's.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Interesting shot of Victoria Park from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victori...x,_Nova_Scotia

One day I hope the parking lots south of the park will be redeveloped appropriately.
it is Common land, I expect that it will eventually revert to parkland

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 7:40 AM
hi

For reference, here is a picture of the VG from around the late 1960s with (apparently) the School for the Blind occupying part of the current parking lot. As it is, I would like to see some nice, tall building(s) to close in that end of the park.

source: http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...04540477_o.jpg

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 2:21 PM

That picture is quite interesting in that there is a crane working in front of the Centennial building - perhaps it is from a time when that was still under construction. Also the Path Lab building does not yet appear to have been constructed.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
For reference, here is a picture of the VG from around the late 1960s with (apparently) the School for the Blind occupying part of the current parking lot. As it is, I would like to see some nice, tall building(s) to close in that end of the park.

source: http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...04540477_o.jpg
since it is common land, I expect that other than public buildings, there won't be any tall buildings there.
http://www.halifax.ca/RealPropertyPl...ctober1994.pdf
see page 18

Last edited by JET; Jan 4, 2013 at 3:16 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 4:23 PM

Wow. That photo certainly does prove how badly developed that area has been in the intervening years, with the School for the Blind replaced by a parking lot, and those nice buildings further east replaced by (among other things) a parking garage.

Last edited by Drybrain; Jan 4, 2013 at 5:05 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 3:14 AM

Some photos by me

See more photos on my photostream: Urban_Halifax @ Flickr.com

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 4:30 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Some photos by me

See more photos on my photostream: Urban_Halifax @ Flickr.com
This is the best side of this building. I think it looks impressive.

I think the roof looks good, except they might have overdone it a bit. The large center peak could have been omitted, in my opinion.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
That picture is quite interesting in that there is a crane working in front of the Centennial building - perhaps it is from a time when that was still under construction. Also the Path Lab building does not yet appear to have been constructed.
Also, judging by a difference in the colour of the bricks, the Victoria Building used to be sort of ziggurat-shaped, and at the time this photo was taken it was only half squared off. Here's a present day comparison. I never knew, cool photo!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 5:16 PM

I used to work in the area in the 80s and never really paid attention to this before. I would guess you are correct. I wonder when that "squaring off" was done? I also would be curious to see what the single-level structure on the roof of the Victoria building is for, and what is in the small octagonal structure on the roof.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 3:31 AM

Upscale retirement facility opens
February 7, 2013 - 7:47pm BY REMO ZACCAGNA BUSINESS REPORTER

Quote:
AFTER MORE than a year as a hectic construction site, the first residents in the Parkland at the Gardens retirement living facility began moving in this week.

Four people moved into the multimillion-dollar, eight-storey, 150-unit, brick-and-glass building at the corner of College and Martello streets on Wednesday.

“We’re going to have a slow and gradual move in over the next couple of months,” said general manager Jodi Bartlett.

(rzaccagna@herald.ca)

Read More: thechronicleherald.ca

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 6:29 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's the view:

Source

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 2:06 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Aside from how wide it is, the Park Vic doesn't look much older than the Trillium. That isn't good for The Trillium which I think disappointed most of us.

Once again our Friend Fenwick finds it's way into another skyline shot.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Aside from how wide it is, the Park Vic doesn't look much older than the Trillium. That isn't good for The Trillium which I think disappointed most of us.

Once again our Friend Fenwick finds it's way into another skyline shot.
park vic looks much better since they re-did the balconies; before that it was looking pretty rundown

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth