HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 5:28 AM
Hindrance to Development

Well, if the arena deal was based on the participation (and $75 million investment) of folks who so obviously don't want to be here, I'd say the foundation of the deal was pretty shaky to begin with. Heck, I have been saying it was a lousy deal all along, now apparently one of the parties involved with the deal agrees with me!

Oh yeah, here's the full 11-page letter detailing their attorneys' concerns--even more detail than the 6-page letter to John Dangberg.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/88339725/032012-Maloof-Letter

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 6:25 AM
Here we stAy

The deal was never lousy, it's some of the participants who don't understand how to give and take in a development process.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
... the Maloofs have been neither candid nor sincere about their true intentions in this matter. If they really wanted to stay in Sacramento they would have found a way to do so long ago.

The Maloofs have made up their minds to move to Anaheim and are trying to but put the kibosh on any deal that keeps them here- but AEG/Lakers/Clippers and the NBA are all trying to stop them. IMO that's why their lawyers are sifting through the communication records trying to find something where they can say the City acted inappropriately therefore any and all deals off and they have a legit reason to leave.
^^^This.

I can't wait until the NBA forces them to sell.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 3:50 PM

I see only 3 senerios here-

1. The NBA lifts their objections to the Kings relocating and they are out of here.
2. The NBA doubles down on the Maloofs and puts pressure on them to stay and deal with the city.
3. The NBA puts pressure on them to sell the team.

Who knows what will happen but I think that the other owners would be loathe to force a fellow owner to sell their team so I am betting on 1 or 2 but hope for 3. If 2 happens then maybe the Maloofs will decide to sell the team anyway. As was suggested, I am popping my corn.

Last edited by ozone; Apr 7, 2012 at 4:22 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 4:58 PM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:

1. The NBA lifts their objections to the Kings relocating and they are out of here.
2. The NBA doubles down on the Maloofs and puts pressure on them to stay and deal with the city.

Who knows what will happen but I think that the other owners would be loathe to force a fellow owner to sell their team so I am betting on 1 or 2 but hope for 3. If 2 happens then maybe the Maloofs will decide to sell the team anyway. As was suggested, I am popping my corn.
I agree with your scenarios. If the Kings leave and we are without a new arena nor a team, how will it affect our prospects of ever building a new arena and will we be able to obtain major league sports ever again?

Has a city ever lost all their major league sports teams, and what are the those cities like now?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 6:35 PM

Kings leave, goodbye professional sports in this city. The River Cats are great but they don't do squat for Sacramento's image. I can see Major League Soccer here but that's it. What league would want to work with Sacramento after this fiasco.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 6:56 PM

Magoofs. They dont have the 75 million and are looking to bail out early.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 7:48 PM

Have to agree with Pistola916.

Unless there is a dramatic change in the City's economic structure with a corresponding sustained economic and population growth I don't see it ever happening. But even size and a good economy doesn't always matter. Look at Austin, Texas -no major teams in any sport and LA is without a NFL team.

BrianSac I can't think of any city that had all four professional sports and then lost them all.

BTW Forbes ranked Sacramento America's #5 Most Miserable City and Sacramento-Arden-Arcade-Roseville #2 for Worst City for Jobs this Spring.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 9:29 PM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
Kings leave, goodbye professional sports in this city. The River Cats are great but they don't do squat for Sacramento's image. I can see Major League Soccer here but that's it. What league would want to work with Sacramento after this fiasco.
Unless you make the case it was George Maloof and his lawyers that screwed the City of Sacramento.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSac View Post
Unless you make the case it was George Maloof and his lawyers that screwed the City of Sacramento.
True. Still Sacramento needs to build a new arena and the city's track record and failed attempts will work against them. Furthermore, if the current arena deal falls apart, whose to say AEG will partner up. Sacramento is going to have to pony up by themselves.

And with no major tenant, assuming the Kings play elsewhere, it will be awfully difficult to find new partners to invest -- Burkel's name has been mentioned as a possible suitor but the Maloofs refuse to sell and the Hornets are staying in New Orleans.

Yes we can blame the Maloofs all we want but Stern is not going to give us a new team just because he feels sorry for us.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 2:12 AM

Quote:

I agree with this. I think option 1 is more difficult than you may realize though. This is the deal that the NBA itself put together with the city of Sacramento. The NBA already said this was a good and fair deal. Why would they change their minds now? The other part is there are other small market teams in need of new arenas. If they allow the Maloofs to leave when Sac did their part, then those other owners could instantly lose trust from their own markets.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 3:43 AM

maloofs doing damage control.......like someone else "stopped" negotiating. I swear the 73 million contribution in their mind is just transferring the current loan.......

sure would be interesting to open their books!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 3:11 PM

Tom Ziller has a pretty clear grasp of the problem here. Basically it's what we know already but still a good read just to keep in mind what's really going on.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/4/1...arena-nba-hook

What if the NBA allows the Maloofs to move the Kings to Anaheim or KC or Timbuktu IF they promise Sacramento (along with Seattle) an expansion team by 2014? Provided an arena is built, of course.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 11:59 PM

as long as sac keeps the kings name, an expansion team is just fine

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Tom Ziller has a pretty clear grasp of the problem here. Basically it's what we know already but still a good read just to keep in mind what's really going on.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/4/1...arena-nba-hook

What if the NBA allows the Maloofs to move the Kings to Anaheim or KC or Timbuktu IF they promise Sacramento (along with Seattle) an expansion team by 2014? Provided an arena is built, of course.
How about the NBA leave the Kings here and promise to give the Maloofs an expansion team in Timbuktu. I like that better.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 3:43 AM
Hindrance to Development

Went to a meeting at City Hall about some potential arena/intermodal designs. Here's the latest plan for the arena/intermodal area:

Sorry for the low-res cellphone pic, there will probably be a better looking copy online in a day or two.

In this version the arena is back over on the west side of the lot, with the transit uses on the right, and an open plaza in the middle where transit passengers can move back and forth and arena patrons can enter and exit where the blue arrows are--allowing them to walk into Old Sacramento or to the transit center with equal ease. The red spots are retail pads for joint development--shops or restaurants for use by arena or transit patrons. The depot becomes the main entrance from downtown to the whole complex, once you leave the depot the trains are straight ahead and the Shops provide a backdrop. Due to its location on the west the arena itself provides shade in the afternoons to people walking to and from the tracks. The tracks and the Shops are accessed by the tunnels currently under construction, although additional paths over the tracks wouldn't be ruled out, and the idea of cantilevering the arena over the tracks to the north could be extended even farther here.

There is no access for cars other than drop-off points in front of the depot and on the eastern side--except for trucks/buses servicing the arena, accessed by a service road indicated by the dotted black line.

I still have my concerns about the financing plan (and so do the Maloofs, apparently) but from an urban design standpoint, if you're going to jam an arena and an intermodal depot on this small lot, this looks like a good way to do it.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
There is no access for cars other than drop-off points in front of the depot and on the eastern side--except for trucks/buses servicing the arena, accessed by a service road indicated by the dotted black line.

I still have my concerns about the financing plan (and so do the Maloofs, apparently) but from an urban design standpoint, if you're going to jam an arena and an intermodal depot on this small lot, this looks like a good way to do it.
Nice to see you coming around wburg

Obviously very conceptual ideas floating around. They might not fit a parking structure in there, but there will be something there, and/or parking structure(s) adjacent to the site somewhere. Also, the goal is to have lots of people not have to drive to events held there at all. More mass transit in the form of light rail, trains, buses, more people able to simply walk there or ride bikes. People will be parking many blocks away and walking to/from events, etc.

The biggest concern of the financing plan is the Maloofs themselves. I'm hoping the NBA forces them to sell.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:36 AM
Hindrance to Development

In this case, the plan's coming around to me, rather than me coming around to it. And the NBA doesn't have the power to force them to sell, apparently.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:56 AM

But the NBA does have the power to force them and the Kings to stay.

I think its best to let the Kings go and make Stern promise us an expansion team in 2015-16 when we get the arena built.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 2:56 PM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
But the NBA does have the power to force them and the Kings to stay.

I think its best to let the Kings go and make Stern promise us an expansion team in 2015-16 when we get the arena built.
Then the issue becomes finding the additional $75 million while simultaneously taking on the burden of paying off the Kings' loan debt (I assume if they leave town that calls in their chips--Sacramento gets a share of the Kings and their property on the Arco site, but has to pay off their tab.) Which also complicates borrowing the $255 million we're already putting into the project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area