HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 1:53 AM
NIMBY Hater

Haha...I actually don't know. He was part of a vocal contingent at the K Street Charrette about 2 years ago. He and his group were pissing us off. That's all I know.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post

One thing about the Arden area: I have sometimes noticed a phenomenon that downtown people don't want to go out to the suburbs, but they'll go out about as far as Watt Avenue, and suburb people don't want to go downtown but they'll go out as far as Arden. ...
I've lived in several parts of Sac (the last 21 years in the Arden area) and I've noticed kind of a general social Sac area regional disconnect also (most noticeably in the last decade or so). I wonder if this part of the topic could/should be branched out in a new thread?

Last edited by deeann; Jun 24, 2007 at 2:28 AM. Reason: typo and clarification

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 4:01 AM
Hindrance to Development

deeann: In context of an arena, this seems like a suitable thread, although a separate thread for Arden area projects might be appropriate if any come down the pike.

As to downtown vs. the suburbs, speaking as a downtown person, I don't like leaving the grid at all if I don't have to, but sometimes I'll find an excuse if it's something that we don't have enough of downtown (thrift stores, for example.)

I'm not a sports fan so I wouldn't go to an arena sports event, but I might go to a concert, and Cal Expo is close enough (especially if it's light rail accessible, but driving is an option) where I might go. Often I don't bother to go to concerts I otherwise might want to see because they're too far out: I don't like driving to Marysville, so (for example) I won't bother to drive out to see the Slayer/Manson show (I missed seeing Slayer at the Memorial) but if they were as close as Cal Expo I'd be a lot more likely to go. And having lived in the 'burbs too, I know folks who don't like going downtown to see a show because they are afraid of parking and don't know their way around, but they know where Cal Expo is.

I guess I'm also old enough to remember the old outdoor Cal Expo ampitheater (from the eighties) and still associate that area with live concerts. A modern, enclosed arena/concert space might provide less of an audio nuisance to the neighbors than the open-air ampitheater.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 5:33 AM

Quote:
deeann: In context of an arena, this seems like a suitable thread, although a separate thread for Arden area projects might be appropriate if any come down the pike....

As to downtown vs. the suburbs, speaking as a downtown person, I don't like leaving the grid at all if I don't have to, but sometimes I'll find an excuse if it's something that we don't have enough of downtown (thrift stores, for example.)

I'm thinking more general scope (maybe too general for the forum), which I've noticed. Not just Arden projects or MT/DT. Maybe we should go to PM or email. It seemed we used to have more regional/people crossover in general. Just wondering what happened (besides sprawl/boundaries in general), but you're a historian, and some of what I've noticed puzzles me, so I was thinking you could offer some insight on my own observations.

Last edited by deeann; Jun 24, 2007 at 5:44 AM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 5:46 AM
Where's my life jacket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf8278 View Post
Having a major league soccer team come to Sac would be about as exciting as a professional water polo team moving to Sac.
I don't get the water polo allusion.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 7:33 AM
Here we stAy

Quote:
Well, it sounds like a pro hockey team downtown would not be viable if it is within the 50 mile limit of Stockton...but at Cal Expo it's just far enough out.

One thing about the Arden area: I have sometimes noticed a phenomenon that downtown people don't want to go out to the suburbs, but they'll go out about as far as Watt Avenue, and suburb people don't want to go downtown but they'll go out as far as Arden. It seems like that general zone is a good middle ground for Sacramento to put a central feature that would be accessible to all. I can't see how the Railyards have better freeway connection than Cal Expo (Cal Expo has its own dedicated off-ramp/overpass, the Railyards has either the tiny off-ramp at Richards or the already very busy off-ramp at J Street, neither of which is direct) and the Expo site already handles large traffic volumes during the State Fair.

The site would also be close enough to a lot of post-game dining options (that one could even walk to, leaving their car in the arena lot, or ride a streetcar to) that might appeal more to the suburban/sports bar crowd (Hooters et al.)
I agree.

Wait did I just say that?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 8:38 PM
Of Heart's Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
I'm a big hockey fan, and by long and far minor league is WAY more exciting then the NHL. My last sharks game, the crowd almost never made a peep....now a Stockton game...fans are nuts the entire game. NHL has a watered down product and minor league is definitely the way to go. Maybe an AHL team (hockeys "AAA" farm league).
You must have picked a shitty game to attend. SJ's crowd is largely recognized as among the loudest, right after Montreal.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 12:54 AM
NIMBY Hater

Totallly. I've been to lots of Sharks games and it's always raucous.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
I'm a big hockey fan, and by long and far minor league is WAY more exciting then the NHL. My last sharks game, the crowd almost never made a peep....now a Stockton game...fans are nuts the entire game. NHL has a watered down product and minor league is definitely the way to go. Maybe an AHL team (hockeys "AAA" farm league).
The thing with the NHL is marketing. The games are televised by a minor network, I think Versus?? There are too many teams. They need to contract. When I think of hockey, I think Montreal and Detroit, not Nashville and Atlanta.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 1:41 AM
Got Good Grub?

With the #10 pick in the NBA Draft, your Sacramento Kings take....Spencer Hawes. OMFG. The Kings really are trying to get themselves run out of town...I can't believe what a terrible pick they made. Oh wait...yes I can...Kings suck even worse this year, fans revolt, stop coming to games, Kings happily get themselves run out of town.

If I'm a Maloof, it's a brilliant draft pick - if I'm a fan, bye-bye Kings!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 2:43 AM
Repeat!

With years left on the contracts of Kenny Thomas, Ron Artest, Mike Bibby and Brad Miller the Kings are screwed until at least 2010 anyways.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 2:45 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimnebulin View Post
With the #10 pick in the NBA Draft, your Sacramento Kings take....Spencer Hawes. OMFG. The Kings really are trying to get themselves run out of town...I can't believe what a terrible pick they made. Oh wait...yes I can...Kings suck even worse this year, fans revolt, stop coming to games, Kings happily get themselves run out of town.

If I'm a Maloof, it's a brilliant draft pick - if I'm a fan, bye-bye Kings!

Sadly I'm forced to agree.

If their ill timed Carl's Jr. commerical wasn't the nail in the coffin; (no wait pulling their support for measures Q & R were the nails)....

My prediction is that Geoff Petrie resigns by the end of the year, because it's obvious he is no longer making the basketball decisions on this team.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 7:59 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

The Business Journal has a wonderful editorial in this weeks edition in regards to the NBA's quest for a new arena in Sacramento.

(And it wont involve returning to the county's voters to ask for an increase in the sales tax.)

Details to be presented by September..

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 8:09 PM

I'm not going to jump into conclusions whether Spencer Hawes is a bust or not until I see the guy play. C'mon, remember in 96 when Petrie drafted a young Serbian kid known as Pedrag "Peja". Everyone was like what the F..., and we all know how that went. If he wasn't injured in '02 conf. finals, who knows???

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 9:32 PM
Got Good Grub?

A funny (yet sadly true) analysis of the Kings situation by the Sports Guy...

"Looking disturbingly like Chris Mihm, Spencer Hawes goes 10th to the Kings. Now they have a young center who can't rebound or protect the rim, an aging center (Brad Miller) who can't rebound or protect the rim, a guy who started the biggest melee in NBA history (Ron Artest), the coach from "Hang Time" (Reggie Theus), tons of bad contracts, and owners (the Maloofs) who've made more reality-TV-show appearances than every other NBA owner combined. What a mess. O.J. Mayo should just buy a house in Sacramento now and get it over with."

Last edited by Grimnebulin; Jun 29, 2007 at 9:44 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 9:42 PM
Got Good Grub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
The Business Journal has a wonderful editorial in this weeks edition in regards to the NBA's quest for a new arena in Sacramento.

(And it wont involve returning to the county's voters to ask for an increase in the sales tax.)

Details to be presented by September..

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 10:45 PM

Great article lets hope that they can produce something that is more concrete then Q & R ever was. I like the idea of not using tax payers money, I don't think a tax increase would ever pass.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 10:49 PM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Kicking the Maloofs out the door would be a great strategy right now. If we could get a local guy to own the team, he'd actually be willing to work for the greater good of the city, not just for money.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2007, 1:29 AM

I believe the City of Green Bay owns the Packers, so it could work here.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2007, 6:46 AM
Where's my life jacket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
I believe the City of Green Bay owns the Packers, so it could work here.
The NBA owners would never vote for the idea of municipal ownership. Green Bay's current situation (of public ownership) was born from the 1920s. That explains why the Packers still belong to a city smaller than Roseville or Elk Grove and not moved to a major market. Owners of all American Major professional sports enjoy having a way of opting out of a city and moving to another for profit without caring if it creates negative externalities in both communities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area