HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 11:02 PM
World Machine

Hopefully they are feeling generous, but more importantly, recognize the need to build this tower.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 7:52 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

There is a need to restore not just the destroyed towers, but the office space lost, the vibrancy and the skyline's restoration. Bringing pride back into Lower Manhattan and make it competitive again. Hopefully the officials making the decision will consider those reasons to provide Silverstein with all the necessary funding.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 6:51 AM
Because I'm Clever!

^On the other hand, there are very, very few places with automatic approval for a 3 million square foot building (note: because it's on PA land, they can ignore city laws like air rights, the size figures for the WTC buildings only include the rentable areas, and not machinery and other functional spaces. Private buildings on private land have to include all uses in their FAR's. As such, all of the WTC buildings on the main site will be at, above, or just under 3Msqft). 15 Penn and Manhattan west are the only other buildings in the pipeline in the size class of 2 & 3 WTC. The Girasole will only be 1.5 million, and there isn't a million sqft left in 1, 4 or 7 world trade. 5WTC is limited to under 2 million. So...given time and the economics of NY (which are dictated as much by air rights as anything else) the market will build them without additional government money.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 3:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
the WTC buildings only include the rentable areas, and not machinery and other functional spaces. Private buildings on private land have to include all uses in their FAR's. As such, all of the WTC buildings on the main site will be at, above, or just under 3Msqft). 15 Penn and Manhattan west are the only other buildings in the pipeline in the size class of 2 & 3 WTC.
Like the WTC towers, those buildings will also have "larger than advertised" floor space. But I find that to be normal for commercial towers in Manhattan, lookin at the allowable zoning and the total size of the towers being built. 15 Penn Plaza is a good example of the diffence between what is "zoned" and what actually gets built.

But in the grand scheme of things, at the WTC, they are really only replacing office space that was there before. It will have to be re-absorbed, and that will take time. In the meantime, I don't expect Midtown to wait for it.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 2:26 PM
New Yorker for life

From wtc.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 3:16 PM

Those latest photos certainly prove that every inch of the site is truly under construction now. Hopefully this momentum will carry all the towers to fruition, but for now, let's enjoy!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 4:22 AM
New Yorker for life

http://lowermanhattan.info/news/fuel..._at_54530.aspx

Fuel Cells Arrive at the World Trade Center

December 1, 2010

Quote:
Energy efficiency is a priority at the rebuilt World Trade Center, and a major piece of the green-building plan was installed on site starting in late October: fuel cells. Six fuel cells -- each nearly as large as a shipping container -- are now in place to supply about 30 percent of the power to 3 and 4 WTC.

The cells are considered more efficient than other power sources because they create electricity through chemical reactions rather than by burning substances. This results in primary byproducts of water and heat, thereby reducing carbon emissions. It also makes fuel cells more expensive and therefore less common in today’s skyscrapers.

However, both WTC developer Silverstein Properties and the Port Authority plan to use fuel cells to at least partly power all of the WTC towers -- part of their commitments to environmental safety, and allowing them to serve as large-scale examples of energy efficiency.

"If we can demonstrate that fuel cells work, that they can be highly effective, that they can achieve energy-saving goals, we hope that other owners of buildings and office buildings will choose to adopt them in the future," said Janno Lieber, Silverstein’s president of WTC development.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 4:28 AM
Because I'm Clever!

^Got shake my head again at mainstream reporting. Burning IS a chemical reaction.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 1:13 PM

This is such a high quality tower - great to see the slab coming together..

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 1:44 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

What kind of fuel cells are they using? I mean, energy output.

Are they shooting for LEED in any of these buildings?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 1:49 AM

Gold.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 3:40 AM
Because I'm Clever!

I'd be willing to bet that the actual units are the dual fuel hydrogen/natural gas units from Bloom Energy, which have been purchased by firms like Google and eBay to provide supplemental power to their data centers. Their "energy servers" produce 100kw a pop.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 6:07 AM
Because I'm Clever!

It begins. Tower 3 appears to have gone through 3 design iterations since 2006, 1 moderate, 2 minor, but still noticeable. They've never released a full set of renderings of the final version, so this will be the first time the general public will get that chance.

Last edited by STR; Dec 14, 2010 at 6:21 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 3:47 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Looking forward to that one and the others.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 7:18 PM
Metal Up Your !

STR, not a big fan of how the frame looks on the entire base of the tower (now that you post a real close up). Lets hope it ends up looking better than that. Of course, it's not your rendering but the building's design.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 10:22 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Yeah...Rogers seems to have been on a crosshatch kick with this one. On the interesting side, all of the vertical beams will be lit up Hong Kong style it seems.

On a completely positive side, of all the architects, Rogers (I believe) did the best job of minimizing the bulk of this huge building. You couldn't tell by looking at it, but it's virtually the same width as Tower 1.

Last edited by STR; Dec 15, 2010 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 10:47 PM
Eagle Scout since 9/28/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.odonnell20 View Post
The whole site will be done by 2018, but one wtc will be done in 2013
Is that estimate based on current economic conditions? Because the economy is going back up now, which in turn would mean that building construction goes up as well. So isn't progress on the site only going to get faster? I just don't see how it could be 8 more years... You know what I'm saying? If 2 & 3 WTC reach ground level by the 10th anniversary of 9/11 how would it possibly take them 7 years to be finished?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb001 View Post
Is that estimate based on current economic conditions? Because the economy is going back up now, which in turn would mean that building construction goes up as well. So isn't progress on the site only going to get faster? I just don't see how it could be 8 more years... You know what I'm saying? If 2 & 3 WTC reach ground level by the 10th anniversary of 9/11 how would it possibly take them 7 years to be finished?
I know what you're saying that it couldn't seem that long, but 2 and 3 wtc are expected to reach ground level by much later than the 10th anniversary as far as I know. In addition, they both still need to secure the minimum amount of tenant space to both be constructed fully (which could take a few years depending on the economy and expiring leases). And in addition to that, the transportation hub still needs to be constructed and opened, which (so I've heard) could take up to 2018. And the economy is going back up, but it is recovering too slow to give businesses enough confidence to hire people at a large enough rate to lower unemployment, let alone create demand for more office space. Correct me if I'm wrong on progress and/or completion dates..

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 8:38 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Size comparison. Ignore the fact that the top 3/4 of 3WTC is completely featureless.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 2:20 AM
New Yorker for life

^ It's getting there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive