HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 2:57 PM
BANNED

As for the design, It's OK but I'm rather disappointed. It's far too generic for NYC's main business airport IMO. Just being modern isn't enough for NYC. I wanted to see some special design for what is NYC's main business airport. Of course, I'll take it, it's light years ahead of most US airports right now. Anyway, with those short runways that cross, the real action in the future will be at JFK which still has room to expand and grow with heavier jets and longer runways. Eventually in 15 years or more, NYC will need more capacity and JFK is the only airport that has the room to expand concrete. All it will take is political will to make it happen or risk losing-out in passenger traffic. That is why my focus is more JFK than LGA, as LGA is basically what it is, I predict, until it is someday closed for good, if ever. The odds of expanding it are basically nil though so stop pretending they are going to move a federal prison and fill in that bay...

JFK still has mediocre terminal facilities for what is supposed to be the premier gateway to the USA. I hope the next terminal development there will be worthy and something far better than the second-rate junk that has been built. Terminal 8 at JFK wasn't even completed properly and Terminal 5 is a budget shed with nice restaurants. Terminal 4 is very dated and the new delta development is very old fashioned.

I'm just back from London, and the new Terminal 2 and Terminal 5 at Heathrow are far better than anything at JFK design wise. NYC needs to look across the pond for inspiration. Better yet, look to the Gulf for what a truly beautiful airport terminal could be. However, I'd settle for LHR terminal 2 in NYC but I doubt the powers that be have any ability to manufacture such a space here.

Last edited by aquablue; Aug 23, 2015 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 5:52 AM

Does this revamp of LGA going to also take into consideration sea level rise/storm surge/flooding?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 9:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Does this revamp of LGA going to also take into consideration sea level rise/storm surge/flooding?
I don't know, but they should have addressed runway length. Pilots agree apparently from what I have read.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 11:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
As for the design, It's OK but I'm rather disappointed. It's far too generic for NYC's main business airport IMO. Just being modern isn't enough for NYC. I wanted to see some special design for what is NYC's main business airport. Of course, I'll take it, it's light years ahead of most US airports right now. Anyway, with those short runways that cross, the real action in the future will be at JFK which still has room to expand and grow with heavier jets and longer runways. Eventually in 15 years or more, NYC will need more capacity and JFK is the only airport that has the room to expand concrete. All it will take is political will to make it happen or risk losing-out in passenger traffic. That is why my focus is more JFK than LGA, as LGA is basically what it is, I predict, until it is someday closed for good, if ever. The odds of expanding it are basically nil though so stop pretending they are going to move a federal prison and fill in that bay...

JFK still has mediocre terminal facilities for what is supposed to be the premier gateway to the USA. I hope the next terminal development there will be worthy and something far better than the second-rate junk that has been built. Terminal 8 at JFK wasn't even completed properly and Terminal 5 is a budget shed with nice restaurants. Terminal 4 is very dated and the new delta development is very old fashioned.

I'm just back from London, and the new Terminal 2 and Terminal 5 at Heathrow are far better than anything at JFK design wise. NYC needs to look across the pond for inspiration. Better yet, look to the Gulf for what a truly beautiful airport terminal could be. However, I'd settle for LHR terminal 2 in NYC but I doubt the powers that be have any ability to manufacture such a space here.
LGA isn't the main anything. It's NYC's No. 3 airport. The new terminals at JFK are really nice.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 1:53 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ lol yeah lga is small and mostly domestic flights.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
LGA isn't the main anything. It's NYC's No. 3 airport. The new terminals at JFK are really nice.

Yeah. Calling JFK mediocre is more than a little ridiculous.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 3:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Yeah. Calling JFK mediocre is more than a little ridiculous.
Perhaps "dissapointing" would be the better statement when you consider the stature of the city on the world stage. Medicore is still the best description I could give, after having travelled through some of nicer terminals recently that blow poor JFK away in design, looks, and transit. Again, medicore would also apply to the outdated terminal configuration, the airfield design, the lack of expansion capabilities, etc, etc. Since other fields have that issue too, the main focus here was on the terminals themselves and how decent an experience they provide. It's OK

Well, I hope you can keep your opinion intact when you travel through LHR's new terminals, DXB, Beijing and Madrid. When you zoom into Paddington in 15 mins on the Heathrow Express, or take the RER directly into Central Paris.

The cookie cutter architecture of JFK's latest terminals is just not good enough in comparison and neither is transit of course. Hence, medicore is what a person from one of those cities would probably call NY's airport system, which isn't an unreasonable assumption.

Of course, i hold NY to a higher standard than the typical US terminal. The standard should be its peer cities, the London's, Hong Kong's, Paris' of the world. Unfortunately, from airfield configuration to terminal design, it is pretty average in comparison. Sorry for putting black paint on your rose-colored glasses.

Last edited by aquablue; Aug 29, 2015 at 7:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 4:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ lol yeah lga is small and mostly domestic flights.
And it happens to be the top choice for domestic business travelers to the city of NY due to its location.. NY'ers have a love affair with the location of La--Guardia airport and the quick taxi/ferry into town cant be beat

Last edited by aquablue; Aug 29, 2015 at 8:04 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 5:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
Yes, they are.. stunning works of art.

Last edited by aquablue; Aug 29, 2015 at 8:08 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 PM

Don't we have a future JFK proposal map? Can they have more gate space available? I think it will helps to bring more gates space. As for terminal 3 is long gone. I think they will have to build a new terminal and can they have expansion from the entire terminal 1? Terminal 1 is way too extremely overcrowded, but there is no room for foreign airlines. I think they will demolished the old terminal 2 and Delta will moved into entire terminal 4, if they have approved from Port Authority.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 8:47 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Side note on JFK as we don't really have something on any expansions for JFK.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 2:55 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

LaGuardia Airport Revamp Now Expected to Cost a Staggering $5.3B

Quote:
The cost for LaGuardia Airport's much-needed renovation just keeps rising. Early reports estimated that the beleaguered airport's makeover—which includes building a centralized departures and arrivals terminal, along with infrastructure changes—would cost around $4 billion to complete. But today, the Wall Street Journal reports that the price tag has risen to a whopping $5.3 billion.

Why the increase? Ostensibly, it's due to "changes requested by the airlines, federal security officials and the consortium of companies chosen to build the terminal," per the WSJ. These include increases in staffing, a slight increase in the projected cost of the central terminal, and—bafflingly—$190 million for "external consultants," which the WSJ notes is nearly double the initial estimate.

And because no major infrastructure project can happen in New York City without officials bickering over it, these increases are leading to "growing tension" within the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which is responsible for the airport. PA chairman John Degnan said that "every project needs to be balanced against the most compelling needs," referring to the organization's other big-deal projects—revamping the hellscape that is Port Authority Bus Terminal, and building tunnels beneath the Hudson River. Others told the WSJ that some officials are driving the price up as a "political tactic ahead of negotiations over other big projects," which, sure.

One thing is for sure: This wouldn't be the first time a PA project comes in wildly over budget, leading to rancor within the agency's ranks. (There's a glorious boondoggle in Lower Manhattan that stands as a shining example of that.)
==========================
http://www.wsj.com/articles/la-guard...ion-1458521948
CB

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
LaGuardia Airport Revamp Now Expected to Cost a Staggering $5.3B

==========================
http://www.wsj.com/articles/la-guard...ion-1458521948
CB

If the PA is telling you it has jumped from $4 Billion to $5.3 Billion... when it's finally constructed and completed a decade and half from now.. it will cost at least $10-12 Billion.

That's how the PA works!!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 8:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNYC View Post
If the PA is telling you it has jumped from $4 Billion to $5.3 Billion... when it's finally constructed and completed a decade and half from now.. it will cost at least $10-12 Billion.

That's how the PA works!!
It's insane to see what projects cost anywhere else in the world and even anywhere else in the country except New England and to compare it to NYC. It just makes me want to cry every time I see a $5-$10 Billion price tag for pretty much every major project.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 8:54 PM

Anyone want to place money on how far this goes over budget and time?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 12:58 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I almost wish the Chinese would just buy the whole airport and redevelop it. Some see this as a China takeover. How they buy certain U.S. properties. I for one see it as a good thing. Say what you want, when Chinese developers invest in the U.S., they get things done. There isn't a circle jerk going on with these people that raise costs, they just make it happen.

The U.S. has the money to do these type of things, but we have overpaid officials pretending to work with no drive or initiative. Regulation can be a good thing at times, but when it comes to developments, there's to much of it.

Airports are one thing, but NYC really needs to overhaul the subway. Something that will make this look like a bargain.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
The new estimate also reflects cost increases since February. Those include $225 million related to Port Authority staff and overhead costs, up 53% since last month, and $190 million for external consultants, nearly double the February estimate.
what does that mean?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 1:27 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^^

Overpaid consultant groups who are "experts" in helping organizations with strategies on their business or direction or guidance/development on projects.

Essentially they bring knowledge to the table. The IT industry for example uses a lot of external consultants for one instead of supporting their own staff. What its good for is driving costs up!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 2:43 PM

Port Authority Pledges Billions for Airport Upgrades and New Bus Terminal

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey voted on Thursday to spend tens of billions of dollars on transforming La Guardia Airport, enhancing Newark Liberty International Airport and building a new central bus terminal in Midtown Manhattan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/25/ny...cle-click&_r=0

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
^^^^^

Overpaid consultant groups who are "experts" in helping organizations with strategies on their business or direction or guidance/development on projects.

Essentially they bring knowledge to the table. The IT industry for example uses a lot of external consultants for one instead of supporting their own staff. What its good for is driving costs up!
Oh so that's what they do, thank you for the answer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development