HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 6:56 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Recently, Boise State University started a journal entitled the Blue Review which covers "popular scholarship published by the Boise State University College of Social Sciences and Public Affairs." It's an excellent journal that's worth bookmarking. http://thebluereview.org/

In just its 2nd month, items and articles from the Blue Review have already spread across the globe. "I am Adam Lanza's Mother" was an entry by Boise mother Liza Long, which was published in the Blue Review. It has attracted national attention and has been cited by Time Magazine, Huffington Post, Gawker and NBC's The Today Show.

Blue Review: Boise Mom Writes 'I Am Adam Lanza's Mother'

December 15, 2012

http://www.boiseweekly.com/CityDesk/...-lanzas-mother

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 8:28 PM
Dare Mighty Things

There hasn't been any formal announcement yet, but I've been hearing here and there that Boise State is moving forward with a new Art Building, located on the current parking lot alongside Capitol next to the COBE, and that they're going to go to great lengths on making it an "architectural masterpiece," with preference on glass and steel vs. brick. Because so many people use Capitol everyday, I reckon it's all part of a grander plan to effectively make that whole area of the University the "front porch" with a suite of impressive structures.

I emphasize: no formal announcement so take it with a grain of salt.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
There hasn't been any formal announcement yet, but I've been hearing here and there that Boise State is moving forward with a new Art Building, located on the current parking lot alongside Capitol next to the COBE, and that they're going to go to great lengths on making it an "architectural masterpiece," with preference on glass and steel vs. brick. Because so many people use Capitol everyday, I reckon it's all part of a grander plan to effectively make that whole area of the University the "front porch" with a suite of impressive structures.

I wonder where they are with the new Alumni Center. They have the sign up and everything, but I have heard nothing about it.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 10:50 PM
Got Rock?

Quote:

This rolled across my desk the other day, so a few more grains for the pile.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 3:54 AM

Oooo...Can't wait for more information about this!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 11:42 PM

Do you think they'll replace the Pavilion in the next decade or so? I was there for my bro's HS graduation and while the arena itself is fine, the halls and vendor areas are so outdated and claustrophobic.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 4:09 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
Do you think they'll replace the Pavilion in the next decade or so? I was there for my bro's HS graduation and while the arena itself is fine, the halls and vendor areas are so outdated and claustrophobic.
I think we might see a remodel or something of that nature, but I would be absolutely shocked if a new Pavilion was built. A brand new one would be a whole lot of cost for not much functional gain. Plus considering the very limited resources Boise State has to work with there's a whole host of higher priority things that need to get done.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a new, larger, sexier pavilion (especially to host major events other than Boise State basketball). Heck I'd just love for it to not be called the Taco Bell Arena, but we have to wait till 2019 for that.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 6:06 AM

Quote:
I think we might see a remodel or something of that nature, but I would be absolutely shocked if a new Pavilion was built. A brand new one would be a whole lot of cost for not much functional gain. Plus considering the very limited resources Boise State has to work with there's a whole host of higher priority things that need to get done.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a new, larger, sexier pavilion (especially to host major events other than Boise State basketball). Heck I'd just love for it to not be called the Taco Bell Arena, but we have to wait till 2019 for that.
The name is unfortunate...but I do want a chalupa now. lol. The Boise Area has so many music venues. It is quite surprising given the size of the area. But none of them have any type of architectural flair inside or out. Except for maybe the inside of the Morrison Center.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 8:09 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
The name is unfortunate...but I do want a chalupa now. lol. The Boise Area has so many music venues. It is quite surprising given the size of the area. But none of them have any type of architectural flair inside or out. Except for maybe the inside of the Morrison Center.
I agree, the inside of the Morrison Center is classy. Very classy. And on top of all of the music venues we already have, it sounds like with the new Art Building that Boise State is going to build there will be a new 900-seat auditorium (Approximately half the size of the Morrison Center).

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 11:51 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 12:15 AM

I brought this question up a couple pages back but I don't understand where they are planning on putting it. That rendering shows the arts center where COBE is

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo View Post
I brought this question up a couple pages back but I don't understand where they are planning on putting it. That rendering shows the arts center where COBE is
Looks like me that it's right behind COBE. Almost like it's attached to it with the glass wall facing University Drv.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 2:37 AM
Dare Mighty Things

I'm pretty sure the Opsis Architecture rendering was developed before COBE had been fully conceptualized. If I'm not mistaken, the art building will replace the parking lot just north of COBE.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 8:07 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the Opsis Architecture rendering was developed before COBE had been fully conceptualized. If I'm not mistaken, the art building will replace the parking lot just north of COBE.

it was.

but i reposted it wondering if this is the type of design that we can expect. personally, i'm hoping for something much more unique.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 12:36 AM

Maybe something Unique like this, but made to look more like a glass potato.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 12:58 AM

Quote:
I was under the impression that it was going in across University (the south side of COBE). I thought that lot to the north of COBE was slated for greenspace according to BSU's master plan. But I may be wrong...

It would be nice to have something better than that old Office Depot at the entrance...

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjt View Post
I was under the impression that it was going in across University (the south side of COBE). I thought that lot to the north of COBE was slated for greenspace according to BSU's master plan. But I may be wrong...

It would be nice to have something better than that old Office Depot at the entrance...
I was also under that impression. It would be sweet to have two new buildings gracing the entrance to campus

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 8:03 PM

http://idahobusinessreview.com/2013/...arts-building/

Construction to start next year on Boise State University’s fine arts building
by IBR Staff

Published: March 28,2013
10:47 am Thu, March 28, 2013

Boise State University has selected Boise’s LCA Architects to design the $24 million fine arts building that will be constructed next year near the gateway to campus on Capitol Boulevard. LCA will work with a Minneapolis architecture and engineering firm called HGA that is known for designing fine arts and performing arts facilities, said Ben Hill, ...

Read more: http://idahobusinessreview.com/2013/...#ixzz2OrnUts3F

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 5:32 PM
All man. Half nuts.

i've been keeping an eye out for renderings. now that we know who the architect is, maybe it'll be easier to scout their website... assuming they keep it updated.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 2:03 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West