HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:49 PM

2012 Global Cities Index: MTL is up one place, TO is still way ahead

2012 Global Cities Index and Emerging Cities Outlook

Montreal is up one place, but Toronto is still the first in Canada.

http://www.atkearney.com/index.php/P...s-outlook.html

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
2012 Global Cities Index and Emerging Cities Outlook

Montreal is up one place, but Toronto is still the first in Canada.

http://www.atkearney.com/index.php/P...s-outlook.html
Montreal has that certain je ne sais quoi that Toronto doesn't though!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
You're kidding right? Toronto has je ne sais quoi AND savoir faire coming out its a**, with a heavy dose of noblesse oblige to boot!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
You're kidding right? Toronto has je ne sais quoi AND savoir faire coming out its a**, with a heavy dose of noblesse oblige to boot!
No I'm not kidding. I do believe that Montreal has a certain something that Toronto doesn't. To each their own though.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 12:51 AM

you forgot "joi de vivre

Last edited by Razor; Apr 11, 2012 at 1:11 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:16 AM

This seems like a pretty legit index. To be honest, not seeing Vancouver near the top lends credibility to the rankings (in that it's an AMAZING city but really not all that relevant culturally or economically)

For me, the only questionable calls (i.e. ranked too high) in the top 30 are Madrid at 18# (I guess it got more points for being the "capital" of the Spanish language) and Buenos Ares at #22 (11 spots ahead of Sao Paolo, 31 ahead of Rio?!)

Also Shanghai at #21 and Toronto at #16 seem a little low to me. I think Vancouver just missed the cut cause they didn't wanna give Canada more than 2 cities. ( Australia 2, Italy 2, Brazil 2, Spain 2... I think only US, Germany, China and India got 3 or more)

Montreal is about right.

New Zealand got shut out. Too small and isolated I guess.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
you forgot "joi de vivre
Yes, that's the mot juste (even with the typo)!. And don't get me started on its esprit de corps!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Let's just call it "je sais faire."

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:30 AM

Seems odd to me that Montreal, while a powerful city and my hometown, is at such a high rank while Seattle, with Microsoft, Starbucks and Amazon, doesn't even make the list.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Seems odd to me that Montreal, while a powerful city and my hometown, is at such a high rank while Seattle, with Microsoft, Starbucks and Amazon, doesn't even make the list.
Global Cities Index

A.T. Kearney's Global Cities Index ranks metropolitan areas according to 25 metrics across five dimensions:

RED STRIPE ON CHART - Business activity is measured by headquarters of major global corporations, locations of top business services firms, the value of a city's capital markets, the number of international conferences, and the flow of goods through ports and airports (weighting: 30 percent).

BLUE STRIPE - Human capital evaluates a city's ability to attract talent based on the following measures: size of foreign-born population, quality of universities, number of international schools, international student population, and number of residents with university degrees (weighting: 30 percent).

GREEN STRIPE - Information exchange examines how well news and information circulate within and outside the city. This dimension has been reconfigured this year to include two new metrics: accessibility to major TV news channels (replacing international coverage in major local newspapers) and Internet presence (capturing the robustness of results when searching for the city name in major languages). A third metric, number of international news bureaus, has been broadened to include 10 major TV networks. The final two metrics— level of censorship and broadband subscriber rate—are unchanged (weighting: 15 percent).

YELLOW - Cultural experience measures diverse attractions, including number of major sporting events a city hosts; number of museums, performing-arts venues, and diverse culinary establishments; number of international travelers; and number of sister-city relationships (weighting: 15 percent).

GRAY - Political engagement reviews how a city influences global policy dialogue as measured by number of embassies and consulates, major think tanks, international organizations and local institutions with international reach that reside in the city, and the number of political conferences a city hosts (weighting: 10 percent).

Montreal does disproportionately well on "human capital" and "information exchange" (this is true). It does really badly on business activity (no surprise there). It seems more balanced than many other cities though, according to the colors.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
oh brother......here we go again..........please nobody feed the troll

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:05 PM

These lists are to urban enthousiasts what the National Enquirer is to housewives...

I'll play along nonetheless: It looks like Toronto lost some of her mojo between 2008 and 2012, period whilst she went from 10th to 16th place.

Last edited by davidivivid; Apr 11, 2012 at 2:42 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:32 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
I'll play along nonetheless: It looks like Toronto lost some of her mojo between 2008 and 2012, period whilst she went from 10th to 16th place.
Considering Toronto's been booming during those years and getting stronger in so many areas, it's just weird to see it drop like a stone in this ranking. Maybe Toronto needs to shrink all its sectors down to Vienna or Brussels size to move back up to 13th. How these cities have more 'Business Activity' than Toronto is beyond me.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telyou View Post
oh brother......here we go again..........please nobody feed the troll
I missed who the troll is.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 11:19 PM

I know we are getting into global politics and not just Canada, but:

* I disagree re: 3 and 4. IMO, Tokyo is more important than Paris.
* Cities in the emerging markets are ranked too low. Beijing is #6 right now IMO, and Sao Paulo and Mumbai, to name two, should be at least 10-15 places higher.
* Too many US cities and western European cities in the top 30 relative to Asia and Latin America.

The top 10 in my opinion, in order, are New York, London, Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong, Beijing, Los Angeles, Seoul, Singapore and Chicago.

11 to 25, in no particular order, are Berlin, Brussels, Buenos Aires, Dubai, Frankfurt, Madrid, Mexico City, Mumbai, Rome, Sao Paulo, Shanghai, Sydney, Toronto, Vienna and Washington DC.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 11:40 PM

Isn't Paris the #1 most visited city in the world, or tourist destination? I swear I've read or seen something saying this. That must count for at least something.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:33 AM

Montreal being Canada's second largest city might have something to do with it. If Montreal was in the US it would not make the list either.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:56 PM

When it comes to ranking cities, lists don't really seem appropriate to me as the idea of a particular city being one spot above or below another seems a little arbitrary and whimsical. I prefer to rank cities by tiers or groupings.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Aside from the obvious global heavyweights, the rankings are mostly horseshit.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:30 PM
BANNED

While small potatoes compared to the heavyweights, I'm still curious how Calgary would rank within the list. The economic activity is substantial with all the energy companies (within the Canadian context), and it already has more large company headquarters than Montreal. It is certainly an 'emerging' city. Vancouver would also be interesting, with its cultural and tourism assets, as well as consistent international investment over the last decade or more.

Last edited by suburbia; Apr 11, 2012 at 5:51 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada