HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Aside from the obvious global heavyweights, the rankings are mostly horseshit.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:30 PM
BANNED

While small potatoes compared to the heavyweights, I'm still curious how Calgary would rank within the list. The economic activity is substantial with all the energy companies (within the Canadian context), and it already has more large company headquarters than Montreal. It is certainly an 'emerging' city. Vancouver would also be interesting, with its cultural and tourism assets, as well as consistent international investment over the last decade or more.

Last edited by suburbia; Apr 11, 2012 at 5:51 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
While small potatoes compared to the heavyweights, I'm still curious how Calgary would rank within the list. The economic activity is substantial with all the energy companies (within the Canadian context), and it already has more large company headquarters than Montreal. It is certainly an 'emerging' city. Vancouver would also be interesting, with its cultural and tourism assets, as well as consistent international investment over the last decade or more.
I think they would rank pretty low due to the ratings system. I read the full PDF and they made clear the importance of having ''networks of cities'' working together...

They drooled all over Germany's triple threat of cities, complimenting how closely linked were geographically and economically. I would think thats how the likes of amsterdam and brussels got such high marks too (theyre surrounded by global cities)
Likewise for the eastern seaboard area (montreal,new york, boston,washington etc)
Calgary definitely wouldn't have done well in this regard, with the only remotely close 'big city' nearby being edmonton. Likewise for Vancouver, Seattle and Portland. All big performing cities, but together they don't comprise a very influential or powerful network..

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Yes, that's the mot juste (even with the typo)!. And don't get me started on its esprit de corps!
I'm beginning to think that you are some sort of "l'enfants terrible"

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 11:15 PM

Au contraire, I see myself more as an agent provocateur! (and with that, I bid adieu to this silliness, it has become de trop!)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post

Calgary has been doing real well this past decade, and, I'm a little curious as well..I wouldn't doubt that Calgary cracks the top 100 for sure..Especially if things keep booming the way they are. Having said that, it's still a secondary Canadian city the same way Vancouver, Winnipeg, and Edmonton is. It's "Cape-town" or "Adelaide".No doubt that it's emerging, but as far as Global "presence," it still has a way to go to catch up to Montreal which is still down in 30th place.Obviously Montreal's ranking isn't based solely on Head offices planted there. Houston, another oil-headquarters city would be a good guage, but they also have NASA and is almost 5 times the size of Calgary..I don't even think it cracked the top 50.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 5:38 PM

I'm surprised that Toronto dropped so much despite it's growth continuing.

I'm also surprised Munich is below Montreal tbh.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post

Munich IS an economic beast within Germany, but Montreal's the more populous city by a significant margin, so that could have given it the muscle to edge out Munich.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 9:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post

Munich should be number one overall!!! Where is Lear when we need him?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada