HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

555 Washington in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 3:04 AM
BANNED

I give you, without comment, the Bay Guardian's opinion (bet you can guess):

Quote:
Downtown's missing history

Reject the new condo tower project next to the Transamerica Building

Guardian Editorial

EDITORIAL To hear the proponents of a new downtown condo complex talk, you'd think they were giving the city a wonderful deal. In exchange for an exemption from height limits that would allow a tower twice the allowable size just a few yards from the Transamerica Building, the developer would give the city a little patch of parkland that's now privately owned. Even the city planning director, John Rahaim, seems to think the special treatment is acceptable, since none of the other buildings in the area are nearly as tall as the Pyramid, and, he told the Chronicle, "usually you cluster tall buildings together."

Of course, the usual crew of downtown boosters love the architecture (a sort of spiral design), love that it would create housing in an area that's generally empty at night, and figure that something only about half as tall as the high-rise it's next to can't be all that bad.

But there's a stunning lack of historical perspective in all this discussion.

The Transamerica Building seems like an icon today, but when it was first proposed in 1969, it met with strong opposition — not so much because of its unique design (although some prominent architecture critics thought it was hideous) but because it was way too big, too tall, and jammed into a human-scale neighborhood where all the other buildings were low-rise. It was a flash point for the anti-Manhattanization movement and rallied preservationists, environmentalists, and neighborhood advocates.

One of the central issues: in order to accommodate the new tower, the city would have to give up a block-long section of Merchant Street, an alley filled with small businesses. The controversy over the sale of that public street occupied center stage in the Transamerica battle, and in order to convince the supervisors to hand over the public property, Transamerica agreed to build a little park on the edge of the property. That's how Redwood Park came into being — as a concession from a developer who had been given public land.

And now another developer, Andrew Segal, is offering to give the park back — again, as mitigation for a project that's too big for the site. So the city, in exchange for approving a bad project, winds up with land it would have had anyway if it hadn't accepted a different bad project four decades ago.

And there's been very little attention paid to the historic reasons why this project would need special exemptions from two city laws to move forward. In the mid-1980s, with Dianne Feinstein in the mayor's office, the city was getting choked with tall, bulky — and frankly, nasty-looking — high-rises that were turning downtown and South of Market into dark, windy, dismal canyons. After long debate, many public hearings, and extensive discussion, the voters approved two measures aimed at limiting the impact of overdevelopment. One of them, Proposition K, barred new buildings from casting shadows on public parks. The other, Proposition M, limited high-rise office development and mandated the preservation of neighborhood character. At the same time, the height limits in that area — on the edge of Jackson Square and North Beach — were reduced, again after many hearings and much debate. The idea was that downtown's skyscrapers shouldn't be intruding northward.

Let's remember: this won't be affordable housing. The new condos will be priced at the top of the market (clearly the developer thinks the housing market is coming back in San Francisco). And while environmentalists like the idea of building housing near jobs, very few of the new condos that have gone up downtown have provided housing for San Franciscans. Most are owned either by empty-nesters returning from the suburbs, Silicon Valley commuters, or international jet-setters seeking a SF pied-à-terre.

So there are very good reasons for planners and the supervisors to reject this project — and for the city not to forget that the rules that make this deal unappealing were neither random nor a mistake. There's history here, and once you understand it, the project makes very little sense. * *
Source: http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_...3&issue_num=34

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 4:01 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Pretty weak argument if you ask me.

Let's start with the last one first: the right people aren't going to buy these. Well, that's out of the control of anyone. Basically, this is an argument against any market-rate housing anywhere. Sorry, but that's not dealing with reality.

Then there's the shadow issue, which so far doesn't seem to be a problem. But as nequidnimis pointed out, that may be based on the current zoning height not the proposal. Either way, the jury is still out.

Finally, there is the crux of the argument: the way the park first came into being somehow negates the benefit of giving it over to the city free of charge and maintained in perpetuity by the developer, which is the real benefit that the SFBG conveniently ignores. This is simply crazy. The deal that landed the Pyramid where it stands today has nothing to do with this proposal. It should stand on its own merits based on the situation today. If you're going to dig up that ancient history, why stop there? At one time, the Ohlone lived in the area. The land was stolen from them by European settlers. Thus nothing should ever be built in SF, because if it hadn't been for those previous bad European settler development deals (ie: kill the indians and take their land) this would be a small, peaceful village of fishermen and gatherers. No way they would have built a bunch of victorian houses. We better get busy razing those.

They're going to have to come up with something better for their next knee-jerk reaction to a highrise proposal. I just don't think their heart was in this one.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Last edited by peanut gallery; May 22, 2009 at 5:32 AM.

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Let's remember: this won't be affordable housing. The new condos will be priced at the top of the market (clearly the developer thinks the housing market is coming back in San Francisco). And while environmentalists like the idea of building housing near jobs, very few of the new condos that have gone up downtown have provided housing for San Franciscans. Most are owned either by empty-nesters returning from the suburbs, Silicon Valley commuters, or international jet-setters seeking a SF pied-à-terre.
Isn't anyone who lives in San Francisco a San Franciscan, regardless of why they live here? I'd like to see some stats on just how many of the new units built in the last few years are actually only used as a pied-à-terre. This building will have to contribute money and/or units to the affordable housing fund, so it will create more affordable housing than exists now.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there are some valid reasons to oppose this project, but the SFBG doesn't highlight any of them - it's just more of their usual class warfare BS.

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 5:22 AM
Surrounded by Nature

"So the city, in exchange for approving a bad project, winds up with land it would have had anyway if it hadn't accepted a different bad project four decades ago."

I don't think that we would find many people today who think that either the Transamerica Pyramid or its Redwood Park was a bad project! It was a great project that burnished and enhanced the image of the City around the world with the creation of a genuinely unique iconic skyscraper.

The SFBG is a rag that needs to go the way that a number of much better newspapers have unfortunately gone--out of business!

Old Posted May 23, 2009, 9:59 PM
Green Berniecrat

I don't know if its just me, but I find it funny how I just read the title of the article and already knew what was coming up. I really hope this pulls through, I would love to see that Redwood Park built.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 2:29 AM
BANNED

It now has a web site: http://www.555washingtonsf.com/

Mucho snazzy new renderings. Mucho propaganda about what an asset to the neighborhood and city it would be.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 3:33 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Looks great, I hope this gets done.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 3:21 PM

Any updates?

What is going on with this project? Any updates?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 7:37 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I think they're working on the EIR. Or at least release, review and approval of the EIR will be the next major milestones. I'd guess that's going to be a long time from now.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 10:11 PM

From Proposal to Construction...Timeline

So we're looking @ a late 2010 groundbreaking for this one possibly?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 3:53 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Last I read the developer was hoping to have it done in 2012. But really, it's anyone's guess as to when this might actually start.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 3:22 AM
BANNED

Admit it: You didn't expect to see this thread again for a looong time if ever, didja?

The official Planning Dept. "Comments and responses Document": http://www.sf-planning.org/Modules/S...ocumentid=7930

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 4:10 AM
Sonoma Strong

wow - 355 pages, for 'comments and responses', only in sf

too bad this doesnt actually mean anything about construction.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 6:20 AM
BANNED

It means somebody's still interested and the project hasn't been withdrawn . . . at least.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 5:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
'Battle royal' brewing over planned S.F. tower
John Coté, Chronicle Staff Writer
Thursday, February 11, 2010

There doesn't seem to be much middle ground when it comes to a proposed 430-foot condominium tower that would rise next to San Francisco's iconic Transamerica Pyramid.

Proponents say it is a creative approach to sustainable development that will add a city-owned downtown park and allow people to live near their work. Critics say developers are seeking a laundry list of exemptions to city codes in an audacious move that runs counter to decades of planning and would set a dangerous precedent.

Today, the commissions that oversee the city's parks and planning departments are to meet in joint session on whether to approve the development at 555 Washington St. The project has created deep divisions, with the city's planner saying at one point: "The more I see of this project ... the less I like it."

"It's going to be a battle royal," said Board of Supervisors President David Chiu, whose district includes the site.

The proposal calls for a 38-story tower with a square base that would rotate into a circular top about half as tall as the Transamerica Pyramid.

The developer, Andrew Segal, said the tall, slender form allows for more open space, blends with the surrounding skyline and complements the city's most recognizable building. Former Board of Supervisors President Aaron Peskin, who rose to prominence opposing development projects in North Beach as president of the Telegraph Hill Dwellers, likened it to a "nuclear power plant cooling tower."

Condos and a garage

The plan would demolish a nine-story office building at 545 Sansome St. and a single-story building nearby to make way for an eco-friendly 248-unit condo tower and underground parking garage. Privately owned Redwood Park next to the Transamerica Pyramid would be expanded for use as a city park, with the developer paying for its upkeep in perpetuity. Mark Twain Alley would be converted into a pedestrian plaza with outdoor dining and shops.

The project is seeking at least seven exemptions to city rules. It would be twice as tall as the current approved height limit and would shade parts of two city parks protected from shadows. It would also require exceptions to rules on increased wind, off-street parking, truck loading and architectural roof screening, planning documents show. The developer also wants to buy Mark Twain Alley from the city for $2 million . . . .
Source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNV21BV2JL.DTL

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 2:16 AM

Smile

Delayed...
Quote:
555 Washington Street ruling delayed
By: John Upton
February 11, 2010

A decision on whether a 425-foot corkscrew condo tower will be allowed to be built next to the 850-foot Transamerica Pyramid was delayed by more than a month.

The majority of San Francisco planning commissioners ruled Thursday that an environmental impact report associated with the 248-unit project was inadequate.

Under California law, such a report must be certified by the commission before construction can begin.

It could take more than a year for a new report to be completed.

Three commissioners voted against certification of the report and two voted in favor of certification, with two members absent from the vote.

At least four votes were needed to certify or reject the report and the hearing is scheduled to continue on March 18.

After an environmental impact report is certified, The City’s planning and parks commissions will rule on whether the project is allowed to proceed.

The 248-unit twisting condo tower with four underground levels of parking was designed to complement the adjacent pyramid building.

The developer offered to contribute funds to improve a nearby park filled with redwood trees in a bid to offset the tower’s shadowing impacts on city parks.

Some nearby residents including Aaron Peskin, member of the Telegraph Hill Dwellers neighborhood association and former president of the Board of Supervisors, told commissioners that they oppose the project because of its height, shadows it would cast on parks and traffic congestion it could cause.

Other neighbors said during the hearing that the condos would help bring foot-traffic and vitality to the area, which is quiet in the evenings, and would therefore improve public safety.

The job-generating potential of the construction project was also lauded by project supporters.

Hisashi Sugaya, who was appointed by Peskin as a Planning Commissioner, said during the hearing that the environmental impact report was deficient because it failed to comprehensively assess a long list of matters including the project’s impacts on traffic and nearby redwood trees.

“You really need to redo the EIR,” Sugaya said.

Commissioner Michael Antonini characterized issues with the environmental impact report as “relatively minor” and said they could be resolved within a “couple of weeks.”

Commissioner Gwyneth Borden was absent from the hearing and Antonini failed in his bid to delay the vote until she could participate.

Antonini walked out of the hearing after making his remarks and before the votes were cast.

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/555-...#ixzz0fHeEGjzl

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 7:12 AM
Surrounded by Nature

No one has mentioned that this tower would destroy the dynamic view of the Pyramid from the east, something which bothers me as well as friends of mine. I remember when the eastern view was blocked much further down by the hideously squat tower on the northwest corner of Clay Street across from the Pyramid. While I find 555 Washington to be attractive in its renderings, I don't want to see the view from the East Bay, Bay Bridge, Treasure Island, etc. ruined. It also concerns me that many buildings (with notable exceptions) have turned out to be so disappointing from what we were led to expect.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 7:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
It also concerns me that many buildings (with notable exceptions) have turned out to be so disappointing from what we were led to expect.
Solution: Don't let 'em "value engineer" it. Make 'em build it like it's approved, including the color of the glass.

I too am pretty upset at the notion that Trinity Place might be allowed to replace some of the metal facade panels with precast concrete (suggested by John King in his article on that building). The Planning Dept. should routinely "just say no" to such changes after approval is given.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 4:53 PM

555 Washington

More from SFGate:

Quote:
Tower new front line in fight for S.F.'s future

C.W. Nevius

Saturday, February 13, 2010

That's not an overstatement. This is the central issue of the emerging, changing city - to build or stall.

Detractors have decided to make their stand with 555 Washington St., in the shadow of the Transamerica Pyramid. They're not just trying to stop a construction project - this is a statement against renovation, new construction, and urban gentrification. They are complaining that the 38-story building is too tall, casts too much shadow, breaks too many planning guidelines and violates the established values of old-time San Francisco.

And they're right - if we'd like to wrap the city in shrink wrap and preserve it for posterity. The reality is San Francisco is a vibrant, modern city. There was a time when the Financial District was office space, men in fedoras, and lunch at Tadich Grill. You can still eat at Tadich's, but in the new world people want to live downtown, walk to work, and live an urban lifestyle. That doesn't mean the end of San Francisco; it is just the inevitability of change.

"Stuff changes all the time and it is very difficult for people to accept," said Planning Commissioner Ron Miguel.

However, the argument against the condo tower isn't about nostalgia, says Vedica Puri, president of the politically powerful Telegraph Hill Dwellers. They are advocating against sweeping changes in established land-use laws. The proposed tower would need exemptions that range from casting shadows on city parks to height and wind.

"I think (the project) has seven exemptions to the Planning Code," she said. "I get one or two, but seven? It's just not believable."

It should be said that isn't a case of backroom deals or payola. True San Franciscans treat the skyline as a civic resource and are fiercely protective of it. Gabriel Metcalf, executive director of the San Francisco Planning and Urban Development Association, and a supporter of the tower, may disagree with the critics, but he doesn't doubt their sincerity.

"These people are really earnest," said Metcalf. "They honestly think they should never have to see new building - ever."

The process of debate and delay has been the curse of building in San Francisco for years. The fact is an artist's rendering of the 555 Washington tower shows that it tucks into the skyline nicely. There are buildings of equal size on both sides, and the iconic Transamerica Pyramid looms about 400 feet over it.

But the project will have to fight its way through Planning Commission debates, then on to the Board of Supervisors, and a likely series of appeals. It is like being nibbled to death by ducks - slowly.

"I wish things were easier to achieve in the city," said Miguel. "It is so easy to force people to give up sometimes. After a while they say: To hell with it." The potential deal-breaker on this project is the 200-foot height limit, established by the 1985 "Downtown Plan." The idea back then was to limit towering office buildings. It never occurred to anyone that in 25 years people would want to live downtown.

"So they are saying the Downtown Plan is outdated," said Puri. "You know what you have to do then? Redo the Downtown Plan."

That would take years. This project would die, putting a serious chill on any interest in fighting this battle for another development. And keep in mind, this in an area that hasn't had significant residential building since the 1980s.

I understand the Hill Dwellers think they are protecting us from terrible consequences, but I tend to agree with Metcalf, from SPUR. I think this tower would improve the quality of the city.

"We want a living city, where new generations can contribute," he said. "Not a mausoleum."

C.W. Nevius' column appears Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. E-mail him at cwnevius@sfchronicle.com.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0fR4IBCco

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 6:43 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Interesting thoughts, viewguy. I agree with you and BT on the bait and switch concerns. The city needs to put a stop to that, especially on something as high profile as this.

I hadn't really thought about the views from the east, but agree that's a very important consideration. Here are a couple of views of the Pyramid from TI. 555 won't quite come up to the bottom of the elevator shaft punch-outs:

Source: PlanetWare.

Source: Flickr user canbalci

Personally, I don't think this will be tall enough to diminish the effect of the Pyramid on the skyline from that angle. It looks to me like less than half of it will be blocked around the bottom with part of the lower floors still visible to the side of 555. But in my opinion the most dynamic part of the Pyramid is everything above that, which will still be untouched.

I understand your viewpoint though. This is an incremental encroachment on the view of the Pyramid. You might feel like we're suffering death from a thousand cuts. I can relate to that much better than the fears of shadows on parks (for a matter of minutes a day on a small piece of the parks) or "the established values of traditional San Francisco" which is code for never change anything, anywhere.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive