HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:58 PM

Canada's Greatest Neighbourhoods

Winnipeg's Osbourne Village has been named Canada's greatest Neighbourhood!

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...149195615.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...-manitoba.html

Let the bashing begin. But outside of bashing Winnipeg's Village because as some will probably say, "There is no way it is Canada's best" Lets stop, take some pictures and discuss some of Canada's best Neighbourhoods

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 5:02 PM
Khan

I would note the following:

Quote:
The Canadian Institute of Planners announced Thursday Osborne Village had been voted the Best Neighbourhood in Canada in its annual Great Places contest. More than 200,000 online votes were cast during the four-month voting process, overseen by judges with the 7,000-strong organization, and Winnipeg's cosy hippest strip rose straight to the top.

Not that anyone can figure out exactly how it happened -- even the Village's biggest boosters.
SOURCE: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...149195615.html

In any event, I think that this is a great idea for a thread. I'm looking forward to some photos from Canada's best neighbourhoods.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 5:07 PM

I would also Note this:

Quote:
The Canadian Institute of Planners announced Thursday Osborne Village had been voted the Best Neighbourhood in Canada in its annual Great Places contest. More than 200,000 online votes were cast during the four-month voting process, overseen by judges with the 7,000-strong organization, and Winnipeg's cosy hippest strip rose straight to the top.

Not that anyone can figure out exactly how it happened -- even the Village's biggest boosters.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 5:12 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
I would note the following:

SOURCE: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...149195615.html

In any event, I think that this is a great idea for a thread. I'm looking forward to some photos from Canada's best neighbourhoods.
Right on it... *hops on bus*

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 6:20 PM

Best...in what way? Prettiest? Best architecture? Trendiest? Most vibrant?

Montreal and Toronto have a lot. Le Plateau stands out as a pretty awesome neighbourhood.

Some lesser known:
Saint-Roch, Saint-Sauveur, Saint-Jean-Baptiste - Quebec City
Dundas, Stinson, Kirkendall, Durand, Westdale, St. Clair - Hamilton
Lowertown, The Glebe, Golden Triangle - Ottawa
Old South - London
Sydenham Ward - Kingston
North End - Halifax
Walkerville - Windsor

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 7:21 PM
Registered Drug User

Sorry to bash, but:

I used to live in Winnipeg. I always thought Osborne Village was alright, though not anything special. If you're not from Winnipeg, have a look on Google street view: type in "Osborne and River," and prepare to be think: "Huh?"

The thing about Winnipeg is that it's not a looker. Corydon gets the biggest crowds these days during the very short patio season, but there's a remoteness to it, an end-of-the-earth quality befitting a place as isolated as the city is. The commercial strip is strictly single-storey and interspersed with strip malls, save for the apartment blocks on the one side of the street. Which is not to say that people don't have a good time on Corydon, because they probably do. Even more likely, you'd be hard-pressed to find a single soul there who would give a crap what some precious Ontario guy on an internet forum has to say about the architecture and ambience. And rightly so.

Still, there's really only one area in Winnipeg with anything approaching charm: the granola-crunching stretch of Westminster between Arlington and Ruby. It's tiny, but still, that's a nice area that stands up to anything anywhere in North America. The Exchange District would be nicer if there were more going on, but it feels sort of abandoned.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Some lesser known:
Saint-Roch, Saint-Sauveur, Saint-Jean-Baptiste - Quebec City
Spot on (though I'd perhaps add Montcalm to that list)!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 7:38 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Sorry to bash, but:

I used to live in Winnipeg. I always thought Osborne Village was alright, though not anything special. If you're not from Winnipeg, have a look on Google street view: type in "Osborne and River," and prepare to be think: "Huh?"

The thing about Winnipeg is that it's not a looker.
Exactly. Winnipeg is not about the looks, its the feel. Nobody would mistake Osborne Village, (or any part of WInnipeg for that matter) for a more upscale trendy neighbourhood in other larger cities in Canada, but that's part of the charm.

It has a little for everyone. Million dollar plus condos to $500 a month apartments in nearly dilapidated 100 year old apartment blocks. Century old stately single family homes interspersed with similar houses chopped into 3, 4 even 5 individual suites. Cool independent shops and restaurants, and enough chains to keep it familiar.

It's a great area to live. I lived in there for 4 years, and if the above-mentioned single family homes weren't so damned expensive in that area, I'd still be there.

We settled for a house just off of that
Quote:
granola-crunching stretch of Westminster between Arlington and Ruby
Also a great area, but it's no Osborne Village.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 7:42 PM

I've only been to Osborne Village once, though it was during the winter. At the time it reminded me of many typical low/midrise neighbourhoods in Toronto. Certainly nothing to write home about, but what do I know? I can't imagine it holds a candle to the Annex or West Queen West.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 8:20 PM

i like strathcona neighbourhood in Vancouver

lotusevents.files.wordpress.com

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 8:29 PM

There are so many great districts across Canada, but here's what comes to mind off the top of my head for Great Neighbourhoods/Streets

Victoria: Downtown

Vancouver: The West End, Commercial Dr, Gastown, Kitsilano, South Granville, Yaletown, Strathcona

Banff: Banff Ave

Calgary: Beltline, Kensington, Stephen Ave, Mission, Inglewood

Edmonton: Old Strathcona, West Oliver/124 St, 104 St, Highlands

Saskatoon: Downtown, NuTana

Winnipeg: Exchange District, Osborne Village, Corydon Ave

Toronto: The Annex, St. Lawrence, Yorkville, Trinity-Bellwoods/W Queen W, The Grange, Cabbagetown, The Beaches, Bloor West Village, Yonge/Eglinton, Koreatown, Leslieville, The Distillery District, New Toronto, Kensington Market

Hamilton: Dundas, Ottawa St

Kingston: Princess St

Ottawa: Glebe, ByWard Market, Centretown, Westboro

Montreal: Sherbrooke West, Le Plateau, Mile End, Old Town/Port, St-Catherine, Westmount, Griffintown, St-Viateur

Trois Rivieres: Downtown

Quebec City: Old Town, St-Roch

Saint John: Downtown

Charlottetown: Downtown

Halifax: Spring Garden Rd, Downtown, Quinpool Rd

St. John's: Downtown

Last edited by ue; Apr 27, 2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Forgot Kensington Mkt and st-viateur in Mtl

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 10:19 PM

^^I forgot about Ottawa St in Hamilton. I think it was "declared" one of Canada's greatest neighbourhoods last year. Ottawa St. stands as one of my all time favourite urban discoveries. Years ago, when I first moved to Hamilton, I was driving around exploring the city one night when I randomly came upon Ottawa St. It was really neat, with all the old signage and lights. It was like another downtown for East Hamilton, and I had no idea it existed at the time.

I also could have mentioned Hess Village and Corktown, with great little pubs on Augusta St and its mix of apartment slabs and rowhouses.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 12:09 AM

I love how I can come upon nice areas I had never heard about before in big cities. I spent most of the 5 past years in Montreal and still manage to discover new nice areas.

Last week I drove along the Rivière des Prairies on the old Gouin boulevard, a place I rarely go to. Some houses and churches on this boulevard are 250 years old. Definitely not a neighbourhood worth the mention on this thread, but anyways.

The week before I went to Terrebonne. In this city (Montreal) you can find great neighbourhoods even in the ugliest suburbs, and all over the CMA.

Last edited by le calmar; Apr 28, 2012 at 2:35 AM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 1:13 AM

Churchill Park is one of my favourites in St. John's.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 1:44 AM

Last edited by flar; Apr 28, 2012 at 1:59 AM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 2:20 AM

Link to Winnipeg Love/Hate. Many pics that come up are of Osborne Village.

http://www.winnipeglovehate.com/2009_02_01_archive.html

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 2:30 AM
Registered Drug User

Damn it, Flar, I got work to do! Why are you forcing me to look at your photo tours? And why do you persist in making it impossible for me to skip over any of them?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 4:06 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
The thing about Winnipeg is that it's not a looker. Corydon gets the biggest crowds these days during the very short patio season, but there's a remoteness to it, an end-of-the-earth quality befitting a place as isolated as the city is. The commercial strip is strictly single-storey and interspersed with strip malls, save for the apartment blocks on the one side of the street. Which is not to say that people don't have a good time on Corydon, because they probably do. Even more likely, you'd be hard-pressed to find a single soul there who would give a crap what some precious Ontario guy on an internet forum has to say about the architecture and ambience. And rightly so.
To compare Osborne (no 'u') Village to Corydon...

During the Winter months (or any season), Osborne Village (RIver Ave.), there will always be people crossing the streets, milling about...

On Corydon Ave. try that...it is busy only during the warmer months...May thru September.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 3:49 PM

The only neighborhood which really gets me excited about St. John's is the Ecclesiastical district. So many beautiful churches, houses, and some lovely buildings along Duckworth Street which give the whole area that nice European feel.

In general, I prefer a walk down Duckworth Street over Water Street any day. Water street may be nice, but a lot of buildings have painted over the old, rustic bricks of the building and it looks bad. Duckworth street really is frozen in time, truly beautiful.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 4:17 PM
video et taceo

the plateau and mile-end in montreal is it. i could entertain an argument for toronto's west end, but not really anything else.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada