HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 12:47 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post

I love how in every picture theres this awesome looking classic airplane, a few tricked out race cars, and even a beautiful looking vintage Alfa Romero racer....and then this pile of crap Jaguar saloon that's probably one of the reporters personal car and has no business being there.

That being said, I was hoping Edmonton would lose the race, and a push would be on to have it return to Vancouver.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 2:23 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
and then this pile of crap Jaguar saloon that's probably one of the reporters personal car and has no business being there.
Uh oh, someones' not going to be very happy with you!

Quote:
That being said, I was hoping Edmonton would lose the race, and a push would be on to have it return to Vancouver.
Won't happen. The whiners in Yaletown will make sure of that.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 3:26 PM
Community Guy

^indeed

^^
While this is generally about 'motorsports', it is also about the love of cars and that extends as far as you want to take it. Personally I quite like that Jag, it has some truly classic lines on it, Pininfarina if i am not mistaken.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 15, 2010, 5:15 AM

Distill3d, V-12s are awesome, do not dis the Jag!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 12:40 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Bet on Northlands bowing out of Indy
All signs suggest money-losing race will require new organizer after this summer

Dan Barnes
Edmonton Journal

Thursday, June 03, 2010

If Northlands was comfortable in the driver's seat as the promoter of future Edmonton Indy races, assuming there will be one in 2011 and beyond, they would likely admit as much.

So their spokesperson's evasive remarks on the issue suggest to me Northlands would prefer to back out after running a third Indy in July at City Centre Airport...

dbarnes@thejournal.canwest.com
© Edmonton Journal 2010

Copyright © 2010 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...7dcf0&sponsor=

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 6:12 PM
Cowtown Enthusiast YeeHaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
City Centre Airport is a dead issue -- please, give it a rest

Scott McKeen
Edmonton Journal

Friday, June 18, 2010

The City Centre Airport is passing on. It is biting the dust.

Last rites will be performed on one runway this summer. The second runway might linger for maybe 10 years.

The airport's supporters are on a vigil -- suffering denial. Sadly, they still dream of the old Muni roaring back to life...

smckeen@thejournal.canwest.com
© Edmonton Journal 2010

Copyright © 2010 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...dc38c&sponsor=
The above was taken from the Edmonton construction thread.

So does this mean that this seals the fate of the IRL Indy at the City Centre Airport? Is this going to be the last year for IRL in Edmonton? I've been thinking of buying tickets (finally) to check it out. A friend of mine just came back from the Montreal Formula 1 Grand Prix and he keeps on raving about how awesome the race and atmosphere was. I figure I might as well drive north and get a taste of a race before it ships out of town.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 7:07 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow-garian View Post
The above was taken from the Edmonton construction thread.

So does this mean that this seals the fate of the IRL Indy at the City Centre Airport? Is this going to be the last year for IRL in Edmonton? I've been thinking of buying tickets (finally) to check it out. A friend of mine just came back from the Montreal Formula 1 Grand Prix and he keeps on raving about how awesome the race and atmosphere was. I figure I might as well drive north and get a taste of a race before it ships out of town.
There seems to be a handful of promoters who want to run it, the group that runs the Montreal F1 are one.

It will be interesting to see if somebody does have better luck than Northlands....Given the blind faith some have in Northlands it could certainly show why Northlands doesn't automatically deserve a piece of the pie in the new rink.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 8:35 PM
Cowtown Enthusiast YeeHaw

Since you guys probably keep better tabs on the situation regarding your race than I do. What seems to be the deadline for a decision?

As far as I know, this is the last year of the IRL contract with Edmonton to host this event and considering the airport is going to close down, what are the different variables that are giving Edmonton (heck Alberta) hope of still having a professional race?

I just did a quick google on the Honda Indy and i'm very surprised that it has been losing money ($10million just in the past 2 years!). From an outsider looking in, i thought this was a natural home run for Edmonton. What has gone wrong? (IMO it's a real shame if it leaves. Unless it comes down to Calgary, but i won't touch on that topic )

Last edited by Cow-garian; Jun 18, 2010 at 10:45 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 8:54 PM
DRINK

tear down and set up costs something like 4 Million.... they have been losing something like around 3million a year recently.

clearly a permanent venue is what is needed to make this work long term.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 8:56 PM
Community Guy

^yup basically and I think Northlands was the wrong group to run it.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^yup basically and I think Northlands was the wrong group to run it.
and there's still lots of things to do and plenty of places to pitch in on those things northlands hasn't done - or can't do - to make this event the centrepiece of something bigger. at some point, it takes more than complaining and finger pointing to turn things around and build them up to what they deserve to be.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow-garian View Post
Since you guys probably keep better tabs on the situation regarding your race than I do. What seems to be the deadline for a decision?

As far as I know, this is the last year of the IRL contract with Edmonton to host this event and considering the airport is going to close down, what are the different variables that are giving Edmonton (heck Alberta) hope of still having a professional race?

I just did a quick google on the Honda Indy and i'm very surprised that it has been losing money!? From an outsider looking in, i thought this was a natural home run for Edmonton. What has gone wrong? (IMO it's a real shame if it leaves. Unless it comes down to Calgary, but i won't touch on that topic )
this certainly should be a natural home run for edmonton. unfortunately it is a temporary track - like vancouver's - so it has taken an investment of between 3 - 5 million a year "behind the fence" to stage the race. it's economic benefit to edmonton has been estimated at anywhere from 35 to 85 million dollars or more but most of that is "outside the fence". unfortunately, unlike in vancouver, too many people in edmonton still look at the $ involved in stating the event as a cost rather than as an investment with same year pay-back in spades.

just a reflection of edmonton's real prime pastime i suppose - which isn't racing or football or even hockey, it's whining.

and i suppose in some respects this post as well as the previous two falls right into that.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 7:23 PM
Community Guy

1 Month away... I am looking forward to being a corner worker again and taking in some of the sights and sounds of RWE.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2010, 3:21 PM
Community Guy

City speeds to find Indy promoter

Three companies vie to take over race

BY DAN BARNES, EDMONTON JOURNAL JUNE 29, 2010 7:22 AM COMMENTS (1)

STORYPHOTOS ( 2 )

More Images »

Drivers make turn number one.
Photograph by: Ryan Jackson, Edmonton Journal
EDMONTON - The race is on. To find a new promoter and a permanent or at least long-term venue for the Edmonton Indy, that is.

Whether the race is in fact on the 2011 schedule and beyond depends on how city council views its Indy options and how patient the Indy Racing League remains.

On Thursday, the city manager's office will receive formal proposals from promoters interested in taking over the financially challenged race from Edmonton Northlands.

Sources said there will be three companies vying for that right; Octane Management of Montreal who promote the Formula One race there, Green Savoree Promotions who run Indy races in Toronto and St. Petersburg, Fla., and Mi-Jack Promotions of Hazel Crest, Illinois. They will promote the Baltimore Indy race in 2011.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...#ixzz0sFvEKJUE

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 4:47 PM
Community Guy

Is everyone getting EXCITED?

I wonder how ticket sales are this year?

I watched the Watkins Glen race yesterday and it made Edmonton's crowds look giant!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 5:13 PM

I just received my tickets the other day, I hope it is packed!!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 5:18 PM

Indy ticket package sales down, but don't worry: Officials
By LINDA HOANG, Edmonton Sun

Single-day tickets for this year's Honda Edmonton Indy are right on track, officials say.

"To date our single-day ticket sales are consistent with past day sales," said Northlands spokesman Brian Leadbetter.

However, three-day package sales are down by 20% compared to last year at the same time, with many race fans choosing not to renew their packages.

One reason for this, Leadbetter says, is die-hard fans chose to spend their money out east watching the 2010 Montreal Canadian Grand Prix in June.

Leadbetter also said advertising for the race started later this year than in 2009, a factor affecting sales.

Despite this, Indy officials aren't worried about the 2010 attendance numbers.

Full story:
http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/edmo.../14593901.html

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 6:51 PM

I bought tickets for it a while back. I should be getting them in the mail any time now. I'm pretty excited.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 7:58 PM

^ They should come via FedEx.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2010, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilman View Post
^ They should come via FedEx.
Good to know. Thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton