HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted May 31, 2010, 3:18 AM

Visiting Amsterdam....

I will be traveling to Europe this June. I have a 10 hour layover in Amsterdam. I would like to use that time to explore the city, but the problem is that I get to Amsterdam after the sun has set and my flight leaves just after the sun rises the next calendar day. Does anyone know of what I can see and explore during the nighttime in the city. Ideally I would like things that are free of charge or cheap. Thank you very much, your help is much appreciated.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 5:25 AM
YIMBY co-founder

I've never been to Amsterdam, so I can't help ya. Anyone else?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 6:46 PM

Arriving in Amsterdam after sunset isn't "a problem" (it's the ideal...)

There's one obvious thing you can do that is cheap, the train from Schiphol to the Central Station takes 15 minutes, from there on go over the bridge and keep left...

Seriously, if you do the above you enter the Red Light District via Chinatown, I say explore a little and get into the nightlife. Walk around (also to other parts of the city center (Dam Square, Leidse Plein, easily done on foot), eat something (avoid the touristy places) and sleep in the plane.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 10:40 AM

If you can't rent a bike just take a walk along the canals. Go to the Brouwersgracht around the corner from Central station and admire the Wharehouses and stop by at a canalside bruine kroeg there or in the Jordaan area. This area is more local and is not overrun by tourists.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 8:34 PM

Good news is that the sun doesn't set until after 10pm during the summer. Bad news is it rains. Alot.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe