HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Wilshire Grand Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
I hope they keep the spire, but re-work it a bit. The one from the original renders looks so half assed, just on there as a cheap way to get some extra height.
The problem here is that the helipad ordinance prevents the bulk of the building from transitioning into a nice, slender spire.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
The problem here is that the helipad ordinance prevents the bulk of the building from transitioning into a nice, slender spire.
First of all hello ssp forumers, I started off at ssc and made my account here,

In response to jdcrash, if this tower must have a helipad which it probably will my guess is if the decide to add the spire half of the helipad will be hanging from the edge of the tower to make way for the spire that will probably rise at one end of the tower.

I prefer the roof of this tower the be at it's maximum at 1250 ft than to add a spire it will make our skyline look enormous, but that is just me.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 7:53 PM
:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112597jorge View Post
First of all hello ssp forumers, I started off at ssc and made my account here,

In response to jdcrash, if this tower must have a helipad which it probably will my guess is if the decide to add the spire half of the helipad will be hanging from the edge of the tower to make way for the spire that will probably rise at one end of the tower.

I prefer the roof of this tower the be at it's maximum at 1250 ft than to add a spire it will make our skyline look enormous, but that is just me.
Personally, I'd rather have the spire than the extra roof height. It would add something completely different to the skyline. But whatever the design is, I hope the dang renderings are released soon.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Floyd View Post
Personally, I'd rather have the spire than the extra roof height. It would add something completely different to the skyline. But whatever the design is, I hope the dang renderings are released soon.
What I want most is for the design to be original and reach the 1,250 foot maximum, I don't care if the spire is at the 1250 foot mark or the roof is I just want it to reach 1250 feet !!!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 5:26 PM

So, is it the going suspicion that the recent write-up that had this becoming the 'second-tallest' was based on number of stories and not overall height ?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
So, is it the going suspicion that the recent write-up that had this becoming the 'second-tallest' was based on number of stories and not overall height ?
The writer based it's statement on the number of floors but he is not the architect, he doesnt know the real height of the tower, he just asumed the height.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 9:53 PM

Yeah there wasn't even an exact quote from the architect or developers on the height.. just that it would be 70 ft tall.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Floyd View Post
Yeah there wasn't even an exact quote from the architect or developers on the height.. just that it would be 70 ft tall.
You mean 70 floors right , the man assumed it would be the second tallest in LA since the us bank has 73 floors and Wilshire grand will have 70 floors, we shouldn't really panic about this guys statement since he doesn't know that floor plans in these times tend to be alot taller than before, I see this tower reaching the 1,200 foot mark and above easily if they keep their old floor heights since the hotel tower had 45 floors and the tower would rise 750 feet, that would be equal to 16.66 feet per floor and if you plug that number in to the new tower, 16.66 x 70 = 1166 ft to the roof, plus the spire = 1,250 ft .

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112597jorge View Post
You mean 70 floors right ,
Lol yeah.

I'd rather not try to calculate the height since we still don't know how fat or thin the tower will be.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2012, 7:50 PM
LADevelopmentMap.com

Any updates on when demo will begin? I go past this site everyday and since the "going out of business" auction, I haven't seen any action whatsoever.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2012, 8:04 PM

Someone suggested the other day that they're probably still stripping out the interior of the building. Based on what little I could see through the first floor windows yesterday, it looks like carpeting and some fixtures have been removed. Not sure what's happening on the 2nd floor and up.

It will probably be a while until the building itself starts coming down.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 11:01 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Also, if they're going for some sort of LEED Certification - which one would assume they're actively pursuing - there are probably some conditions and limitations on the demolition over how they dismantle the current building and recycle and/or reuse any existing building materials.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 6:15 AM

Posted June 11 @ AC Martin's Facebook page:

"Ongoing 3-dimensional tower studies for the Wilshire Grand Redevelopment project."

https://www.facebook.com/ACMartinInc

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 6:30 AM
Paramoderator

Nice. I love the one that is leaning back and the one that is just a simple slab. I'm only worried about the base- if the rectangle is representative of the city block, then I am seeing a lot of plaza and empty space. Not exactly conducive to pedestrian activity.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 3:07 PM

Going from left to right I wouldn't mind if they chose 1 2 3 7 or 8.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 3:15 PM

My favorite design is number one. It adds something different to the skyline

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 5:01 PM

What's the office vacancy rate in downtown L.A. and when is the surplus of Class A space predicted to be absorbed by demand?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 6:04 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

7 and 8 are my favorites, as they're closest to the original tower design, and different from anything in LA at the moment, which I think is important. Though 1 or 3 could be interesting as well.

As for the "blocks" at the base, I don't think they represent the actual site, as the proportions are way off. I think they are just pedestals to make the models stand up.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 213 View Post
Posted June 11 @ AC Martin's Facebook page:

"Ongoing 3-dimensional tower studies for the Wilshire Grand Redevelopment project."

https://www.facebook.com/ACMartinInc
Number 1 all the way . . . its the most unique of all the designs seen here (they're all unique but they kinda each resemble the next one which makes the originality level lower) as well as all of the downtown buildings . . . now add a friggin helipad and a tall bulky spire and we're in business

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 6:10 PM

Will this still be 1250 feet?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive