HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 27, 2004, 12:53 AM
BANNED

The proposal that I'm referring to actually called for the building to be split in half, which the article says will happen when they renovate. If I find a pic of the model I'm talking about, I'll post it here.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2004, 3:27 AM

Yeah, I know the one to which you're referring--it's from a thesis project 6 years ago.

Last edited by Markitect; Jun 27, 2004 at 4:02 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2004, 6:37 AM
BANNED

Bingo!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2004, 6:02 AM

Ground was broken this past Monday for an Amtrak station on the western outskirts of General Mitchell Internation Airport. The $6.5 million project consists of a small station building (nothing extravagant, probably more of a large waiting shelter with than anything else), a 300-space parking lot, and track improvements that will allow passenger trains to avoid tying up freight trains on the line.

The airport station is being targeted primarily to three different groups: Chicago-area airline passengers (those who want to avoid Chicgao's airports), Milwaukee-area train passengers (those from the South Side/southern suburbs who won't have to go all the way Downtown to catch a train to Chicago), and Downtown Milwaukee commuters (those from the South Side/southern suburbs who work Downtown).

The project is expected to be completed by the end of this year.

A proposed Metra commuter rail extension would also serve the airport, using tracks through nearby Cudahy, east of the airport (which would be linked via shuttle bus).

See the Journal Sentinel article for additional details: Amtrak breaks ground for airport station - Stop will cater to business travelers

In other Milwaukee railroad news, this past Tuesday Amtrak made a request to Congress for $281 million that would be used to help fund part of a $351 million plan for a Chicago-Milwaukee-Madison high-speed rail line.

Wisconsin has been studying high-speed rail for several years, and has a plan ready to roll, but a lack of funding has prevented that train from leaving the station.

Assuming all the necessary funding is acquired and all the improvements are made:

- Milwaukee-Madison service would start with 6 daily round-trips at 110 mph, and would evenentually be increased to 10 daily round-trips. Additional stations would be built in Brookfield, Oconomoc, and Watertown--with some trains making all stops and others offering express-only service between Milwaukee and Madison. Currently there is no direct Milwaukee-Madison rail connection.

- The existing Chciago-Milwaukee service would increase from 7 daily round-trips to 10 daily round-trips at 70 mph, at first. It would eventually increase to 17 daily round-trips at 110 mph.

Check out this Journal Sentinel article for many more details (possible fares, ridership figures, etc.): Amtrak seeks funds for Madison route - Congress also asked to help upgrade Milwaukee-Chicago service; $281 million requested

The housing boom in the Walker's Point neighborhood continues, with another warehouse that will be converted into condos. The $3 million conversion calls for 21 units (studio and one-bedrooms) to be built on the upper three floors, and ground-floor commercial space. The redevelopment, located on S. 1st Street will be known as the Roxwell Lofts.

Have a look though the Journal Sentinel article for a recap of other Walker's Point projects: Walker's Point building undergoing conversion - 21 condominiums planned for warehouse

Groundbreaking occurred this Wednesday for the Milwaukee Public Market. The $10 million market will provide an indoor/outdoor venue for people to buy and sell locally-grown produce, meat, poultry, seafood, specialty food items, and flowers. The project has been funded through private donations, state loans, and a federal grant.

The Market (which has its roots as a studio project at UWM's School of Architecture and Urban Planning) is being built on a surface parking lot at the corner of N. Water Street and E. St. Paul Avenue in the Third Ward.

Some more info can be read in this article from the Business Journal: Milwaukee Public Market breaks ground; receives state aid

Old Posted Jul 1, 2004, 6:26 AM
BANNED

Woo hoo on the market. That's good news...I'm not a huge Kubala-Washatko fan, but I really like this building.

As far as the Amtrak news goes, the high-speed rail is interesting, for sure, but I hope that they'll do something about the rates. $40 round trip Milwaukee-Chicago? Please.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2004, 6:40 AM

It already costs $40 round-trip with regular-speed trains, so they're not likely to do something with the rates. If the Metra extension goes through, that'd probably be a better deal price-wise, but the trade-off is it takes longer to get there.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2004, 6:50 AM
BANNED

Sorry. Poor wording on my part. I've taken that train several times. The "please" was meant to indicate that I find the price unnecessarily high. Of course, it's not like Amtrak's in the black, so I'm not expecting awesome rates, but it's pretty pricey.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2004, 5:42 AM

This Thursday, PabstCity developers officially announced anchor tennats that have signed letters of intent to lease space within the brewery redevelopment project:
  • Pittsburgh-based Jenco Cinemas intends to lease 72,000 square feet for a 16-screen movie theater. The theater would be built in the northwest corner of the site along W. Winnebago Street, prominently overlooking I-43. Milwaukee-based cinema operator Marcus Theaters had been approached earlier, but passed.
  • Hollywood-based HOB Entertainment intends to lease 32,000 square feet for a House of Blues. The club would be built on the northeast corner of W. Juneau Avenue and N. 9th Street.
  • Glendale, CA-based Sega GameWorks is in the process of submitting a letter of intent to lease space for a 42,000 square foot entertainment center and restaurant. It would be built at W. Winnebago and N. 10th Streets.
  • Chicago-based Restaurant Development Group intends to lease 5500 square feet for Bar Louie.

The letters of intent are precursors to signing leases and are used to help attract other tenants.

Still on tap, negotioations continue for a 12,000-14,000 square foot Hofbrauhaus microbrewery and restaurant. Developers also plan to begin marketing next year for a 150-room hotel.

Overall plans for PabstCity, which included new construction as well as rehabilitating historic buildings of the former Pabst Brewery complex, include:
  • 450,000 square feet of entertainment venues, restaurants, and shops
  • 448,000 square feet of housing, composed of 200 condos and 360 loft apartments
  • 100,000 square feet of office space

Here's a Journal Sentinel article for more info: Cinema owner makes PabstCity commitment - Anchor tenants boost plans for old brewery site

Some hurdles must still be cleared in order for PabstCity to move ahead.

First is the little-guy vs. big-guys leagal battle in the developer/investor partnership. James Haertel recently filed a lawsuit against Wispark and the Ferchill Group stating they have essentially squeezed him out of any plans for the brewery--that they have not kept their promise to give him ownership of the former Pabst office building, gift shop and Blue Ribbon Hall. Haertel is responsible for spearheading the Pabst redevelopment in the first place.

Next is the matter of getting the City to establish a $75 million tax incremental financing district for the project. This financing would be used to make public improvements (streets, sidewalks, water/sewer lines, plazaz, and 3 parking garages). Mayor Barrett and some Common Council memebers recently stressed the need to step back and examine just how many TIF districts the city can handle, and if such financing tools are being used for the right and legal purposes. A formal TIF propsal from the developers will be presented to the Common Council later this year.

Finally, another funding issue involves reciving historic tax credits to be used to rehabilitate the older buildings within the brewery complex. Some of the developers plans for significantly altering a historic building may actually make it ineligible for historic tax credits they would like to use to help pay to rehabilitate the building.

A rendering depicting a public plaza and entertainment venues along N. 10th Street, near Winnebago Street. The generic "Gametime" sign on the building is where the proposed Sega GameWorks would be located.

Another rendering, with a viewpoint looking down W. Juneau Avenue from the corner of N. 9th Street.

A rendering of the elevations along N. 9th Street.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2004, 9:18 PM

Hot stuff Milwaukee!! Hot stuff. Now let's all root for that federal funding needed to get our Madison-Milwaukee high speed rail line going. That was big news here in Madison a few days ago, but it looks unlikely that our anti-progressive federal government will alocate the money to Amtrak. But we can hope..

Old Posted Jul 3, 2004, 7:25 AM
BANNED

Awesome news on Pabst City. Did they drop the whole "Blue Ribbon" thing, btw?

Oh, and can anyone confirm the rumor that I've heard recently about a Cheesecake Factory opening in Mayfair in '05? Because I thoroughly enjoy that rumor.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2004, 7:29 AM
registered boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG5
Oh, and can anyone confirm the rumor that I've heard recently about a Cheesecake Factory opening in Mayfair in '05? Because I thoroughly enjoy that rumor.
i don't know about that, but did i see a maggiano's there when i went by?
yowza.
i wonder if they would have trouble with youth violence at the CF like they do at the movie place.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2004, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG5
Awesome news on Pabst City. Did they drop the whole "Blue Ribbon" thing, btw?
The "Blue Ribbon City" moniker was dropped over a year ago.

Quote:
That's no rumor; it's truth.

Mayfair Mall to build 100,000-square-foot addition, ramps

Old Posted Jul 3, 2004, 9:23 PM

Anyone here been to Mayfair recently? I went there to watch 9/11 and it looks like they have started construction. The only thing is last I heard, they hadn't even announced formal plans to Wauwatosa. Anyone know whats being built in the parking lot? On a sidenote, demolition has begun around Bayshore. Although the new design is a been contrived, I like the fact that there will be 200 condos and midrise buildings to go along with the retail expansion at Bayshore.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2004, 10:40 PM
BANNED

BC! Whazzup?

So I know that most of the metro's malls are vamping it up...but has there been any news in Brookfield since the initial J-S article on the community backlash against the New Urbanist proposals to link the mall and the office buildings with condos and street-level retail? I don't remember when that was...it was a few months ago. Anyway, I haven't paid attention to it at all, but all this mall jibber-jabber has made me curious.

And yeah, Maggiano's is at Mayfair. I think they've been there for a little while. I know that there's a Cold Stone...noticed that for the first time when I drove by yesterday on my way to Summerfest. (I've been told it's been there for months now.)

Old Posted Jul 9, 2004, 5:47 AM

Plans to redevelop the old Coast Guard station along the lakefront advanced earlier this week when officials from Milwaukee County Parks and two Native American groups reached a lease agreement for the building. HONOR (Honor Our Neighbors, Origins and Rights--a Native American advocacy group) and Loonsfoot, Inc. have plans to renovate the abandoned Coast Guard station and convert it into a Native American cultural center. The lease agreement must be approved by the full Coutny Board later this month in order for the proposal to procede.

The former Coast Guard station, built in 1916, features distintive Prairie-style styling--and only one of two such structures remianing in existance (the other is in the Philippines). The Coast Guard eventually moved to new facilities in Bay View and the building eventually became home to an Indian Community School for a while. The school moved out and the Federal government turned the building over to Milwaukee County in 1987 under the condition that it be preserved. Subsequent plans never gained enough momentum, the vacant building continued to deteriorate, and the County came close to demolishing the building a few years ago. A warning from the Wisocnsin Historical Society that the Federal government might try to take back the site ultimately motivated County officials to invite proposals for reusing the building.

That's when HONOR stepped up a couple year sago with a proposal to rehabilitate the old building into the Wisconsin Indian History and Cultural Center. However, the plan faced opposition from park preservationists and a couple County Supervisors who feared such a plan would eat up lakefront greenspace with parking lots and other intrusive site elements. HONOR has worked to make sure the project will be sensitive to parkland. And now a tentative lease arrangement has been reached.

Check out the Journal Sentinel for other details: Indian heritage center clears hurdle - Parks officials reach lease deal for former Coast Guard building

A view of the former Coast Guard station fronting Lincoln Memorial Drive.

A view of the station from the marina. It seems that "pit" was once a channel that linked the lake and marina to the Coast Guard boathouse, behind those garage door-ish panels.

An older rendering showing a marina-side view of the proposed Wisconsin Indian History and Cultural Center.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2004, 6:19 PM
BANNED

Great news. I love that little building. Hopefully this renovation will be as successful as Alterra...that is a COOL little coffee shop, btw.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2004, 5:38 AM

Walker's Point may very well be the hottest neighborhood for development in Milwaukee right now as another proposal was announced last week. Vetter Denk Properties has plans to construct a $3.9 million, 6-story mixed-use building with street level retail space, 16 loft-style condo units, a petnhouse office, and an underground parking garage. The site is currently a pair of vacant lots owned by the City, at the northwest corner of S. 1st Street and E. Pittsburgh Avenue. Pending on a Plan Commission approval to purchase the lots, developers hope to start marketing the units to prospective buyers next month in order for the project to procede.

Read more about it in the Journal Sentinel Developer proposes housing, retail project - Plan is among many for Walker's Point area

A few weeks ago, Big Bend Development proposed a mixed-use condo/retail project on a site currently occupied by the Milwaukee Center for Indepence. The non-profit agency is moving to a new facility elsewhere in the city later this year. Developers were planning to demolish the building to make room for their proposed development: an 8-story building along N. Milwaukee Street with street-level retail, 56 condo units, and underground parking; plus 20 brownstone-style condo units along E. Odgen Avenue.

The Historic Preservation Commission has granted temporary historic status to the oldest (1896) portion of the building. A report from the Department of City Development cites that the building is a fine example of German renaisance architecture; and that it was designed by Otto Strak, a well-known, talented architecture of 19th century Milwaukee. Temporary historic status lasts for 180 days, and is used to as an emergency action to prevent immenent demolition of historic buildings. Petitions for temporary and permanent status can be denied by the Common Council.

Since the temporary status (which in theory, could become permanent) applies only to the oldest portion of the building, it would prevent developers from building their proposed brownstone units. Big Bend Development will go back and study if building only the 8-story building and converting the historic building would make any financial sense. The preserved building would be difficult to work with, since it is built into the hillside (lacking windows on some walls and adequate ventilation), which may make it unsuitable for residential or retail space.

Alderman D'Amato (who represents the neighborhood and chairs the Zonging, Neighborhoods, and Development Committee) does not believe the building needs any historic status--as it really isn't that important enough, especially considering all of the other, more significant examples of German renaissance architecture and Otto Strak's work, some of which already has historic status (namely anything built by Pabst). Mayor Barrett was surprised by the Preservation Commission's action, especially since the site sits within the boundaries of the Park East corridor redevelopment. He would rather not have the developer's proposal stalled or cancelled over such an issue.

See the Journal Sentinel article for more: Move made to protect building - Park East work may be delayed after site gets interim historic status

^ Here is the section of the building in question. It's not really by any means all that historically significant, considering there are more imporant 19th century buildings of this style, and designed by Strak, throughout the city.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2004, 1:36 PM
"Madtown Guru"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MequonWI
Anyone here been to Mayfair recently? I went there to watch 9/11 and it looks like they have started construction. The only thing is last I heard, they hadn't even announced formal plans to Wauwatosa. Anyone know whats being built in the parking lot? On a sidenote, demolition has begun around Bayshore. Although the new design is a been contrived, I like the fact that there will be 200 condos and midrise buildings to go along with the retail expansion at Bayshore.
My wife dragged me there on Monday. I didn't pay a lot of attention, but nothing seemed to be happening from an inside-perspective. I did see the structure in the parking lot though.

I'm not real familiar with that mall (been there twice, I think), but I didn't see where they could add that much space. Must be on the other side of where I came in.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2004, 9:05 PM
nighthawk

Give me 6-8 story mixed use buildings or give me death.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2004, 6:30 AM

Supposedly, they will add more outdoor "lifestyle" space in front of the mall facing Mayfair Rd. In related news, construction seems well underway at Bayshore with one crane up now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations