HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 7:31 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post

Before you all get your hopes up... this project is already dead.

I got a chance to speak with the Project Lead Architect for the AC hotel. PEG development had initially planned to construct a multiuse residential and hotel tower on the base of the cascade (as can be seen in the photo). However, because of the parking garage entrance, the lobby was too small to accommodate both the residential and Hotel portions, and would have required extensive rebuilding of the elevator bays to accomadate this. Thus, the AC hotel moved to its current location.

According to him, PEG and City Creek have no plans to develop the cascade site. If it were to be developed, it would have to be entirely residential, hotel, or other. It’s layout and design makes it difficult and expensive to become mixed use.
Can’t say I’m disappointed it didn’t get built (not a fan of the design), but it does seem to confirm the base of the Cascade can handle a taller building than what was originally proposed, which is great news, tho the bad news that CCRI has no plans to develop it cancels that out.

I have trouble understanding why Cascade isn’t just built the way it was originally proposed (but maybe a few stories taller, ideally the height of 99 West or taller). It was a great, sleek, simple design, current condos are over 80% leased, the similar Regent is over 90% leased, and they’ve already built the foundation and first two stories!! What is the deal with suddenly not planning to develop it? Also now that 151 is dead, and 111 all but completely leased out, seems like a perfect time to build Tower 8.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
Can’t say I’m disappointed it didn’t get built (not a fan of the design), but it does seem to confirm the base of the Cascade can handle a taller building than what was originally proposed,

Also now that 151 is dead, and 111 all but completely leased out, seems like a perfect time to build Tower 8.
So is 151 officially dead then? That sucks.

As far as the design goes... I have to disagree. Those renderings don’t quite do it justice, and are of the “ugly” side you could call it. I was shown the original models as well, and it was actually quite good looking. On the opposite side, and also somewhat on the side of the rending shown, the balconies form staggered curved flowing shapes that move up the facade. It was quite interesting, it was based off some of the high rise trends in Vancouver and Toronto.

I’d rather take something unique than the typical simple glass towers being built these days.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
Can’t say I’m disappointed it didn’t get built (not a fan of the design), but it does seem to confirm the base of the Cascade can handle a taller building than what was originally proposed, which is great news, tho the bad news that CCRI has no plans to develop it cancels that out.

I have trouble understanding why Cascade isn’t just built the way it was originally proposed (but maybe a few stories taller, ideally the height of 99 West or taller). It was a great, sleek, simple design, current condos are over 80% leased, the similar Regent is over 90% leased, and they’ve already built the foundation and first two stories!! What is the deal with suddenly not planning to develop it? Also now that 151 is dead, and 111 all but completely leased out, seems like a perfect time to build Tower 8.
What? Do we have confirmation of this?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
What? Do we have confirmation of this?
151 is dead as a commercial tower. But Boyer will probably build a residential tower there instead.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 9:36 PM

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
151 is dead as a commercial tower. But Boyer will probably build a residential tower there instead.
Do you know the reason? Not enough office demand? If this project is dead, perhaps PRI will look at building 'Tower 8' next to Harmons

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
Do you know the reason? Not enough office demand? If this project is dead, perhaps PRI will look at building 'Tower 8' next to Harmons
Also, when you say residential tower.. any idea how tall they are thinking?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 11:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
In Utah? I'm thinking it will be a two story residential tower with an unfinished basement and a two car garage. Maybe a street facing sidewalk leading to a mailbox. It will be a nice addition to the area, it will be lined with small shade trees, fresh cut grass and probably a NIMBY.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 12:08 AM

Yeah I don't get why not being able to do mixed-use hotel/residential has to be a killer for the Cascade. There should be enough demand for either to do it all one or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasscom View Post
In Utah? I'm thinking it will be a two story residential tower with an unfinished basement and a two car garage. Maybe a street facing sidewalk leading to a mailbox. It will be a nice addition to the area, it will be lined with small shade trees, fresh cut grass and probably a NIMBY.
Oh yeah because there's so many 2-story houses with car garages going in in downtown Salt Lake.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 12:30 AM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
As far as the design goes... I have to disagree. Those renderings don’t quite do it justice, and are of the “ugly” side you could call it. I was shown the original models as well, and it was actually quite good looking. On the opposite side, and also somewhat on the side of the rending shown, the balconies form staggered curved flowing shapes that move up the facade. It was quite interesting, it was based off some of the high rise trends in Vancouver and Toronto.
Dang wish we could have seen it, though I suppose it doesn't matter at this point.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 1:35 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Yeah I don't get why not being able to do mixed-use hotel/residential has to be a killer for the Cascade. There should be enough demand for either to do it all one or the other.

Oh yeah because there's so many 2-story houses with car garages going in in downtown Salt Lake.
Okay. Four-story stucco.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 4:01 AM

I'm glad Utah/Salt Lake wasn't even considered for the Amazon HQ2. Shows the suburban-minded state leaders that they're not as great as they thought.

Here's some pics of our city:

@k_siddy

You can see the AC Hotel and Milagro Apartments here

@dustinhaggett

@panicbuttonmedia

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 8:12 AM

Quote:
It takes a lot of capital to do a large office building and Boyer didn't want to move forward without being at least 1/3 pre-leased. There is demand for commercial but for a lot of developers you need to secure a large tenant before the project pencils out financially. I've also heard rumors that 151 switching to residential means PRI will move forward on tower 8 (they have the funds to build without securing a large tenant beforehand). Boyer plans to go residential and built around the same height as the commercial tower would have been.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
It takes a lot of capital to do a large office building and Boyer didn't want to move forward without being at least 1/3 pre-leased. There is demand for commercial but for a lot of developers you need to secure a large tenant before the project pencils out financially. I've also heard rumors that 151 switching to residential means PRI will move forward on tower 8 (they have the funds to build without securing a large tenant beforehand). Boyer plans to go residential and built around the same height as the commercial tower would have been.
Well, losing 151 and gaining a residential tower and tower 8 seems like a good trade.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Well, losing 151 and gaining a residential tower and tower 8 seems like a good trade.
I agree. It also sounds like it would be a taller residential building. Wasn't the last height around 319' or had it shrunk from that.

One note on the Cascade. The base wasn't built with the thought of a hotel being on the spot. Because of this, there would be limited parking available within the City Creek garage for the guests and staff. This is worsened if residential is also added to the project.

My understanding is that there are/were roughly 300 spaces set aside for the Cascade. In the past, I heard that the base was built to support approximately 30 stories of concrete construction.

I would expect that CCR would want to build on the empty spots first (1st South and State / 1st South 2nd East) before building the Cascade. This also allows other developers the opportunity to build their projects.

On the commercial develop front, there currently aren't many large companies that are looking to expand/move to SLC. Once Goldman chose 111 for their expansion, 151 was dead as a commercial property at that point only because of the need of a large tenant.

Patrinely, Held and CCR are all able to build commercial towers without needing to have 1/3 or more leased or a large tenant signed.

Within the current commercial real estate market, there is a need for a lot of smaller office space (10K to 40K sq ft) for the budding tech businesses. There is enough demand to fill up approximately 2 Million Sq Ft currently along the Wasatch Front just today. Unfortunately, most of this need has been met in the suburbs because of the cheaper rents from cheaper building/land costs.

Because of this, it is hard for a larger tower to be built in SLC as all the demand is being eaten up by the suburbs. The only way that SLC can get in on the action is for the developer to fund the tower themselves knowing the space will be filled.

One action that SLC could do is to offer substantial breaks for developers that build commercial towers. It could be as simple as property tax levels assessed equal the occupied space of the tower. So a tower with 50% occupancy only pays 50% of their assessed property taxes. There could be a requirement that the tower must be at least a given height (300') or along a frequent transit route with a minimum height of 200'. An additional deduction could be done for locations that have tech startups. This could possibly provide a rent reduction for the startup. Give the reduction for say 5 years for each startup.

The same could be offered to Residential buildings. The change here would be that the street frontage must be active use and no more than 100' long.

I can see a change coming for SLC in both markets but the commercial market may take some assistance from the City to help get some projects going.

There are a few tech projects going on around SLC currently. There is another shared tech office that will be opening soon (3rd South and Main) as well as interest by graduates from the U that want to stay close to where they live and the friends they know but there is a lack of available space that is also cheap for startups.

The only thing that might also help is what we have been discussing on the Transit thread, free transit. With the abundance of transit options in SLC, it becomes more economical for people to use transit to go to SLC than to drive across the valley. This may change over time but it would take a lot of capital and resources to improve the transit levels in the south end of the valley to equal what is available in SLC.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 12:39 AM

As far as merging threads are concerned, I think we can merge them down to 3-4 threads but I would like to add a thread. Silicon Slopes - from Lehi-Draper-Sandy. There are half a dozen steel structures going up and they will eventually get more interesting. Particularly news about the companies growing there I think will be very intriguing. I believe we have to come to terms with this new thread

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 1:02 AM

Perhaps your just kidding so ignore this if so. Creating another thread like that would be okay except for one BIG problem. People come and go on this forum. Someone who is very active one year is not so active to completely absent the next. If we had a dedicated businessman like Isaac to cover that specific area then GREAT, but we don't. We finally managed to agree on merging the Univ. of Utah and Sugar House into Salt Lake City, and the Provo and Utah Valley Threads. One reason for this was to give the Salt Lake City and Provo Threads even more action. I think everyone would love to duplicate Isaac for the Provo MSA and SLC MSA areas, but until that happens let's keep it as it is for now. Hopefully, we'll have another typical temporary flurry of a few active photographers for the Provo and SLC MSA areas soon. Until then, We're pretty much at the mercy of the Trib, Deseret News and the Herald.

Ha, even when we do have the occasional flurry of active photographers reporting and updating us on the many projects going on in and around those areas, it seems to put the majority of the forum into a state of anxiety...SPRAWL...SPRAWL...SPRAWL...

Last edited by delts145; Jan 27, 2018 at 1:16 AM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
As far as merging threads are concerned, I think we can merge them down to 3-4 threads but I would like to add a thread. Silicon Slopes - from Lehi-Draper-Sandy. There are half a dozen steel structures going up and they will eventually get more interesting. Particularly news about the companies growing there I think will be very intriguing. I believe we have to come to terms with this new thread
I'm against that. Put it in a Statewide thread. Perhaps the development down there could be interesting enough to Warrant its own thread if it were happening in a City(or with any hope of becoming one) but it's not. It's an office park. Or to be more accurate an office parking lot.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 3:47 AM

The Cascade-micro apartment units? 3-400 square feet. That seems like the solution to the property given the market/property limitations.

~$700/mo?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
I'm against that. Put it in a Statewide thread. Perhaps the development down there could be interesting enough to Warrant its own thread if it were happening in a City(or with any hope of becoming one) but it's not. It's an office park. Or to be more accurate an office parking lot.
1) there's no "statewide thread" and it would make more sense to put it in slc msa or the utah valley thread depending on which side it fell on anyway rather than a statewide thread

2) everyone's pretentious attitude about SLC is getting rather humorous, perhaps we should just ignore SLC since it doesn't really have any skyscrapers anyway and only focus on real cities like NYC, Los Angeles, and Boston where they actually build skyscrapers (all said tongue in cheek because people are so uppity about SLC here). I get it you want more development in the city, that's great, you can focus on that without the snide remarks to other areas that are experiencing growth.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West