HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 9:22 PM
gettin' rich!

Here is a nicer picture I took of TIFF and Ritz then...

should make you feel better

and more....

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 11:24 PM

Its sad to see Festival basically topped off and looking so small from the lake ... I wish they would have added 10 or more floors...

MLS looks huge though from the harbourfront! The "twin tower look" is awesome!

Couture.. starting?.... sick!.. haven't heard much from it lately....

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 2:24 AM
Community Guy

Epcor Tower - Edmonton

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveve View Post
Its sad to see Festival basically topped off and looking so small from the lake ... I wish they would have added 10 or more floors...
Why? its a pretty mediocre design... is that really what you want people seeing in the skyline? It is great filler and pretty decent at grade imo but its hardly something you want attracting attention.

Same goes for MLS x10... those buildings are just appalling.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 4:19 AM
gettin' rich!

ICE starting soon, will do a good job playing off of MLS shapes and angles. It will be 40 meters taller, reflective cladding and circular shape will draw eyes and turn surrounding skyscrapers into worlds tallest skyscraper infill. Kinda like an absolute world or swedish Malmo Twisting Turso, right on the Toronto waterfront... Should be good. L Tower will draw eyes too.. need good skyscraper infill to highlight the stunners..

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 3:48 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Why? its a pretty mediocre design... is that really what you want people seeing in the skyline? It is great filler and pretty decent at grade imo but its hardly something you want attracting attention.

Same goes for MLS x10... those buildings are just appalling.
I understand your reasonings but I'd hardly call Festival Tower mediocre or MLS appalling. I don't understand MLS's mechanical penthouse but there's hope as its still incomplete. MLS's window wall wasn't the best planned out either; too many spandrel panels. Overall, it's really growing on me. I have few complaints with how Festival is shaping up. It ties well into the heavily ornate podium and the window wall is well designed. I really don't see anything mediocre about it not having twists and turns, lacking doodads, or sharp angled floorplates jutting out the side.

Mediocre is Successs Tower

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 4:05 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
ICE starting soon, will do a good job playing off of MLS shapes and angles. It will be 40 meters taller, reflective cladding and circular shape will draw eyes and turn surrounding skyscrapers into worlds tallest skyscraper infill. Kinda like an absolute world or swedish Malmo Twisting Turso, right on the Toronto waterfront... Should be good. L Tower will draw eyes too.. need good skyscraper infill to highlight the stunners..
Cal are you talking about the same ICE conods we are getting in this Universe, or one that you have in your own alternate Universe?

I bet that by the time all is said and done and these two towers are built, they will just look like tall rectangles from a distance. The slightly curving sides will not 'read' at a distance and they will just be tall. For sure they will impact the skyline from the lake but hardly like a 220 meter version of Absolute World would.

(Courtesy isaidso at SSC http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...577534&page=23 )

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 5:21 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
Cal are you talking about the same ICE conods we are getting in this Universe, or one that you have in your own alternate Universe?

I bet that by the time all is said and done and these two towers are built, they will just look like tall rectangles from a distance. The slightly curving sides will not 'read' at a distance and they will just be tall. For sure they will impact the skyline from the lake but hardly like a 220 meter version of Absolute World would.

(Courtesy isaidso at SSC http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...577534&page=23 )

The cladding is gonna make or break these towers. - And in my opinion the design of these buildings will interact well with MLS and the other surrounding towers. Mainly the Waterclub Towers on the other side of the block.

In these pictures here you can see how the rounded edges of ICE will play not only with the Angles on MLS, but the Curves on Waterclub. It will be amazing, and yes as a side impact, it will be tall at almost 220 Meters too!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 7:19 PM
Back to Basics

Well... I admit this is only a guess, but using the models and renders of ICE... This is probably what we'll get:

I also did Shangri-la, FCP re-clad, and Trump. I didn't bother doing L-Tower because guessing from Google Earth and the vantage point, L would be almost entirely obscured by Success... and because I felt lazy LOL)

(Original courtesy Caltrane 74)

Last edited by Traynor; Apr 21, 2010 at 2:49 AM. Reason: adjust the render and add Success II

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 7:41 PM
gettin' rich!

Very good render my nemesis!!

but, I think ICE is a touch too tall, and Shangrila a touch too short.

of course just my opinion, and I'm not 100% sure..

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 7:45 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Very good render my nemesis!!

but, I think ICE is a touch too tall, and Shangrila a touch too short.

of course just my opinion, and I'm not 100% sure..
I am very careful about the scale of each project. The actual drawing may not be authentic, but their heights usually are.

As for Shangrila, It will be just slightly shorter than twice the height of Sunlife West Tower on King. which it is directly behind in your photo. Find the imaginary base of where Sunlife would be, then double that height and you will see that I am very close.

As for ICE I and ICE II, keep in mind, ICE I is as tall as MLS North but closer to the lake than MLS North, so it will appear taller than MLS South. And ICE II will be almost across the Street from MLS South yet nearly 50 meters taller.

I take the same care for the other towers in my renders too.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 8:17 PM

HOLY COW!!!!!! ICE is stealing all the attention away! If ICE will look that tall (which it probably will from this angle) its might just be the centerpiece of the skyline! (the CN tower is first of course)

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 10:58 PM
gettin' rich!

Yes, ICE will look good..., just surprised it will look this tall. steveve you have a point, if we make this assumption that the render is an accurate height representation, than ICE may very well be the star of the future Toronto skyline...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 4:53 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Great job Traynor! Can't wait for the real TO skyline to look like that...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 2:16 PM
gettin' rich!

from Mo-tage at UT

Success Tower 2 - Under Construction

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Yes, ICE will look good..., just surprised it will look this tall. steveve you have a point, if we make this assumption that the render is an accurate height representation, than ICE may very well be the star of the future Toronto skyline...
I don't however like how huge the CN tower is/looks! It makes the CBD (as with any structure in the city) look smaller than it is... also, the CN tower looks like the center of the skyline... the CBD looks like the outskirts of the skyline too! From the lake, i wish our skyline had a more "Intense" skyline view... I don't like how many gaps there are along the waterfront and how the massive harbourfront condos take up alot of room!

I personally prefer how the toronto skyline looks from the north, east, and west... you can see alot more of downtown than from the lake cause our skyline runs away from the lake, not with it...

nonetheless... our skyline is one of the best

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 9:20 PM
gettin' rich!

by me

Cranes working on Parade 2!!! - We don't give up here!!!

Build baby, Build!!!!!

No stopping, the construction.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2010, 7:49 PM

Concords cityplace is ONFYR!!!

This area has the most pottential to make its park on the skyline! Tourists will actually think our city extends further than it does! Parade looks awesome and it looks like the skybridge will be VERY VISIBLE on the skyline

A high-tech cityplace we got here!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2010, 7:57 PM

By sammo on SSC:

Old Posted Apr 22, 2010, 9:34 PM
Community Guy

EPCOR testing out some LEDs - courtesy of KC from C2E

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada