HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Hintonburg Connection in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 6:45 PM
Busy Beaver

They should have gone with the name-it-after-what-it replaces philosophy. Maybe they should have given it a native name.

Coincidentally, the word of the day in the Algonquin-English online dictionary:
Tesawon (tay-suh-wohn) noun 1. an exterior appendage to a building, forming a covered approach or vestibule to a doorway....

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Glad to finally see a building preserved. And that guy from Heritage Ottawa should get the boot!

As for the name, not a fan. The whole "Whatever Station" thing is extremely confusing, especially when a building is so close to transit stations with completely different names.

At least it's not named for a station 1 km down the line from the nearest station.
It was an older woman, but multiple people there agreed with her, as heritage is less important that building height. Obviously, I want both the tall building and the old school, so I'm happy with this decision to keep it.

I don't like the names as much either. I had a confusing conversation with an uncle where he was talking about Westboro Station. I didn't realize they also named the condos after the transit station.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 10:14 PM

For sure, I too am happy with the result.

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Glad to finally see a building preserved. And that guy from Heritage Ottawa should get the boot!

As for the name, not a fan. The whole "Whatever Station" thing is extremely confusing, especially when a building is so close to transit stations with completely different names.

At least it's not named for a station 1 km down the line from the nearest station.
They could combine two of Ottawa's tackiest property-naming practices into one.

Name all the fancy condo buildings after rapid transit stations.

In New York.

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
They could combine two of Ottawa's tackiest property-naming practices into one.

Name all the fancy condo buildings after rapid transit stations.

In New York.
I agree.

Can't wait for someone to build a '59th Street – Columbus Circle' station. I've always wanted to live there but can't afford NYC prices

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 3:32 PM

We had a community meeting on this proposal last night, and there is some news to report:
-The loft conversions are going ahead right away, and the school building will have a separate garage from the rest of the site, so it will be severed and form a separate condominium from the tower and townhouses
-The tower portion is probably 5 years away (post LRT construction and possibly post Scott Street reconstruction)
-Looking for community oriented uses on the property in the mean time - such as a community garden or park (I would suggest some pop up businesses or food carts may be a good use as well, in conjunction with community uses), but it won't sit as a parking lot in the mean time, which I think is good news
-Height remains the key sticking point for many in the community, regardless of it matching the CDP/SP height and consistent policy on Scott Street of tall buildings only on deepest lots that can meet 45 degree angular plane transition from residential area to the south

Goes to Planning Committee on Tuesday.

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 3:53 PM

Thanks for the udpate G.! drop some some planters, benches and picnic tables and leave some space for pop-up and truck/cart businesses? maybe a swing set, too? I realize Stirling-Carruthers park is only a few steps away, but (a) it doesn't have swings, (b) it's not in line of sight, and (c) if you want people to hang out here, it's good have something safe for the kids to climb on. Anyway, sounds like a great use for the site for the next few years compared to the obvious alternative (fenced and derelict). It's almost too bad that we already have a farmer's market in the area, since this would be a p.g. spot for one.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 6:13 PM

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 12:14 AM

Was cycling by and was shocked to see the progress. I thought they were gutting and redoing the interior, not taking down the walls completely. I know some buildings in Toronto were taken apart and rebuilt (and Ogilvie's) but this didn't look like care was being taken with the exterior.

All the windows were bashed in, bricks and cinder blocks strewn about, but some still up. At first I thought maybe the wall collapsed in the window or weather or something. I'm hoping it'll be rebuilt as it was as I thought they said they were doing.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 3:02 PM

Wow, thats dissappointing. I was pretty sure part of the plan was to have the original exterior with a modern tower raising up from the original roofline.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTrains View Post
Wow, thats dissappointing. I was pretty sure part of the plan was to have the original exterior with a modern tower raising up from the original roofline.
The tower is separate from the old school. It would front Scott, but behind was the old school and townhouses. The school was being renovated (modern additions removed, gutted to remove asbestos) and then rebuilt and turned into lofts. It looks like they wanted two floors on top of that though. Still, I'm kind of disappointed...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 11:18 PM

That does not look good... I figure they'll demolish the structure completely and end up with poorly executed, bland façadism like we see everywhere else. I wonder if they at least saved the original bricks, windows and detailing.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
That does not look good... I figure they'll demolish the structure completely and end up with poorly executed, bland façadism like we see everywhere else. I wonder if they at least saved the original bricks, windows and detailing.
I'm doubtful. I didn't the get the side entrance, but there was bricks still up and strewn about the ground as though they just pulled the veneer off it. Didn't look like a lot of care was taken. I hope they prove me wrong.

I hope the entrance and the carvings on them and at the top of the building (zoom in) are kept. Each of the below 3 buildings had similar but different carvings expressing "learning" or something. That is worth preserving, I think.

Odawa

Eccles

Lowertown

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
They should have gone with the name-it-after-what-it replaces philosophy. Maybe they should have given it a native name.

Coincidentally, the word of the day in the Algonquin-English online dictionary:
Tesawon (tay-suh-wohn) noun 1. an exterior appendage to a building, forming a covered approach or vestibule to a doorway....
Hintonburg-Tesawon?

Hmmm.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 1:30 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Progress:

Photo by me
May 16, 2016

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 7:36 PM

Additional work has been done on the portion of the property facing Scott Street. Seemed like some blasting/excavation work to me.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 9:23 PM

Wow, that looks terrible. Has anyone seen the Stirling side? Does it look as bad as the back end?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Wow, that looks terrible. Has anyone seen the Stirling side? Does it look as bad as the back end?
You can see it from streetsview on Scott. It looks a bit nicer. There is more architectural detail.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 9:52 PM

Better. I doubt they've kept any of the original finishing materials, although it looks like they might have used the original steel frame and foundations. A reverse Ogilvy, if you will.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 12:08 AM

Website is now up:
http://hintonburgconnection.com/

Not exactly what was proposed in the aforementioned renders... #BaitAndSwitch

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa