HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 5:14 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I've long thought that the area at the foot of the escarpment, that is from west of Bronson in the general vicinity of the tunnel portal, should be the site of a new downtown Ottawa railway station.
Like the Broad Street Station was in 1881, Ottawa's even older Union Station

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 11:07 PM

My two cents:

-Central Library should be built on one of the lots west of Lyon or over the tunnel portal on Lebreton;
-Railway station should be at Union. Tunnel under Colonel By and build a 6-8 track concourse u/g for VIA and eventually commuter rail;
-U/g STO bus depot at Bayview as a mid term solution to interprovincial transit, until the RapiBus is converted to grade separated lrt and extended through downtown Hull to Rideau;
-New arena on the south west parcel of LBF or Hurdman;
-Science and Tech on one of the northern parcels;
-Everything else on the northern parcels should be 3-8 floors;
-Everything else on the southern parcels should be 30-40 floors.

IMO, zoos are an outdated concept. It's not fair to hold animals captive. Same with aquariums.

Last edited by J.OT13; Oct 2, 2014 at 11:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
If they do put the NHL arena in LeBreton Flats, it would be nice if they forego selling the naming rights and name it after Lord Stanley to remind the world where the Stanley Cup comes from Even more fitting if this Lord Stanley Arena has its main entrance on the extension of Preston Street, since his full title is Lord Stanley of Preston

Best of both wolds; we could get the Lord Stanley of Preston Arena within the Canadian Tire complex, which may include the arena, a hotel and office tower.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Your one-stop shop for every NCC planning cliché.

Parliament Hill? Check.
"Green space"? Check.
"Open space"? Check.
Multiple lanes of nationally-significant traffic? Check.
14-flag set? Check.
The fallow fields of Lebreton? Check.

About the only thing missing was Gréber personally ripping up some railway tracks.
I love open greenspace! I can just break free from society and perform face-down snow angels in slush all winter long with no one around to bother me!

In fact, the open greenspace can continue over to the Chaudière Islands, like so many people advocated for today, rather than all the people, businesses, jobs and tourists that have been destroying the city since its creation. Going back to Field Zero (the time before anything happened anywhere ever) should be our goal in city-building.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 1:29 PM

I've also just remembered our main central bus station... this beauty...
1) It is begging for replacement and upgrading, the place is a shithole right now and the location is unconveniant... very sketchy part of Catherine and doesn't connect to OC transpo transitway or the future LRT. Shouldn't we also look into moving this to Bayview, Hurdman or Lebreton? I mean.. It's almost cruel right now dumping tourists and travellers there.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 2:30 PM

^ After seeing what Toronto is doing with their Wilkinson Eyre-designed bus terminal, it would be great to get a similar treatment here in Ottawa. I still think ours needs to be at the VIA Tremblay station. With the soon-to-be LRT stop a short distance away, it's a good junction point for travellers. Also, I just want to see the Tremblay station (and surrounding area) built up so it looks less odd being outside the downtown core.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 3:24 PM

I totally forgot about that abomination of a bus station. Totally agree that it should be replaced(and the current building torn down in the process).

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 4:12 PM

I hate that bus station. What an absolute shit hole. I am horrified that it is the first impression Ottawa for a lot of visitors.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 5:31 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFromOttawa View Post
I hate that bus station. What an absolute shit hole. I am horrified that it is the first impression Ottawa for a lot of visitors.
Since the NCC is always so concerned about the impression of Ottawa to visitors, maybe they'd be happy to offer up the land for a new one?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 8:45 PM

A density like this from Toronto could be good for Lebreton: http://goo.gl/maps/m3ngr

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 11:27 PM
Busy Beaver

Here's the CTC pasted in scale in LeBreton, on axis with the Aqueduct which would be lined with bars an restaurants à la San Antonio Riverwalk

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 11:55 PM

Interesting idea for the aqueduct - another stretch of water that's currently forgotten and out of public view.

As for the bus station, we all say it's a shitty dump (because it is), but it could come in real handy one day if they're ever filming a depressing movie set in the '70s.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Here's the CTC pasted in scale in LeBreton, on axis with the Aqueduct which would be lined with bars an restaurants à la San Antonio Riverwalk

Yeah, good call on the Riverwalk. That in itself would be an attraction - they could have it run the length of the aqueduct between Preston and Booth.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 1:13 AM
Busy Beaver

You can actually tour the Riverwalk on Google street view: http://goo.gl/maps/I4RqN

With the LRT station right there, the Aqueduct as an entertainment district would be really accessible. A cineplex would be great here, too.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 2:15 AM

Quote:
But what about the green space! the open space! the public space! the open green public space! the green open public space! the public open green space!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
But what about the green space! the open space! the public space! the open green public space! the green open public space! the public open green space!
It will be ruined by the shadow of the children making NOISE in the park on a SATURDAY.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 6:43 PM

Quote:

The San Antonio Riverwalk is an AMAZING spot. Having something like this in Ottawa would be a huge attraction.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 8:45 PM

Too bad this development never happened for the terminal. With the height increase on Catherine, this would be in good company, some day.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 4:58 AM

Oh, wow. That terminal site development is quite something. Yeah, that stretch of Catherine is so stuck in the 1960s/70s.

Maybe we can make a museum...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 3:01 PM

Love that design. Refreshing to have two towers spread out instead of the usual continuous wall of 23-27 storey towers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa