HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilism View Post
How do you handle groceries?
I also can't speak for Norfolk, but after moving to Chicago I've noticed people just make more frequent, but smaller trips to pick up stuff that they're running low on which is easy when you're never farther than 10 minutes walking distance from a grocery store or corner mart, it's rare to see anybody in the checkout aisle with more than three or four bags worth of groceries.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 9:37 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

folding light carts are standard for a full grocery run in walkable neighborhoods everywhere in the u.s. also, reusable bags of course hold way more groceries way more reliably than the ones they give you, or you just don't buy that much on each run. or you just risk it (bag tear).

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 8:14 PM

The Broadwest twin-tower development in Midtown will be starting construction "in weeks". Developer Probst has full funding for the $490 million project.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/busine...otower-project

Project team

• Chartwell Hospitality, of Franklin, led by founder Rob Schaedle

• JLL, formerly Jones Lang LaSalle Inc. (NYSE: JLL), will represent Propst in brokering office leases. JLL's Nashville office is run by Bo Tyler and Tom Hooper.

• Parks Realty will sell the 220 luxury condos in the project; managing broker Zach Goodyear is quoted in a Propst press release.

• Nashville's Premier Parking, led by CEO Ryan Chapman, will manage the 2,500-space parking garage under the towers.

• Turner Construction Co. and Hoar Construction will build the project.

• Atlanta's Cooper Carry is the architect.

Last edited by Texcitement; Aug 20, 2018 at 8:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 10:40 PM
Nashville born and raised

Here's a rendering that puts in in context with downtown.

The hotel and condo will be 34 stories and over 400 ft. tall and the office building will be 21 stories.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Aug 21, 2018 at 3:52 AM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 3:50 AM

And this......a wooden office building, on Music Row!

No, not concrete or steel; wood!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Here's a rendering that puts in in context with downtown.

The hotel and condo will be 34 stories and over 400 ft. tall and the office building will be 21 stories.

This is really going to change the look and feel of that area. Can't believe it will start in a few weeks. WOW!!! Bye Bye Lake Palmer... Can't wait to see if other development in the area between Charlotte and Broadway/West End to follow. Would love to see more buildings of similar height and more infill that's in the 5-10 story height. Right now most buildings north of Broadway in that area are one level and then there are surface parking lots that I've always wondered how much do they get used.

Okay... so what's the tall building in the Nashville Yards development? Has that been announced?

Last edited by PillowTalk4; Aug 21, 2018 at 3:47 PM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 3:11 PM

That is Phase 2 of Nashville Yards, a 34-40 story office tower. That is an official rendering from the architects of Broadwest. The rendering of dt is pretty detailed with a lot of buildings u/c or planned. Missing from that render are the 5+Broad complex rising on Broadway adjacent to the east of the Renaissance. Also missing are the Asurion HQ which will break ground soon. That will be on Church along the Viaduct at 11th with a twin low-rise "Jenga" structure of 9&10 stories above the viaduct. In that render it would block the lower floors of the NY Phase 2 tower you asked about. Then there is the 22 story hotel on the site of the Deja Vu club at Demonbreun and 12th. You'd be able to see part of that at the far right foreground. To the left and behind the Broadwest residential tower, you'll see the site of a planned 15 story hotel at the corner of Church and I-40. Depending on how fast this complex gets leased, look for the site of the White Castle & Used Car lot next to it to go on the market at some point.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 2:46 PM

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I didn't know about the 15 story hotel planned for Church and 14th Ave. N. (runs parallel with I-40). So, does that mean that Country Delite Farms dairy will be torn down?

While I think the lot that White Kastles sits on could be put to better use, I'm actually okay with it staying just to keep quick and cheap food options in the area. I'm more anxious to see a reduction if not full elimination of the car dealerships. Beaman in particular is just overwhelmingly taking up prime real estate that could be put to better use. If Beaman insist on staying I hope he would consider a redesign of his lot that would convert it from being an open air car lot. I've seen inner city dealerships in a couple of cities that utilize multi-level garages for their inventory. Some prefer to have their stocked vehicles on lots located on less expensive land in the burbs, while still maintaining the dealership store front experience in the city. I just hope that Beaman is looking to be part of the revitalization of the area by either changing the look of his property or selling it.

BTW, I was really hoping for a different concept for the Broad West development. What they've appeared to have presented is just another WES styled concept. While I'm glad to see them move forward and I think their concept still works for the property, I was really hoping for something with a different vibe and more height.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 3:53 PM

Beaman won't play ball, pretty much guaranteed.

I'm okay with the height. I don't think much over 400ft should be outside the downtown neighborhoods, so this is great to me.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 3:32 AM

The Korean Veterans Bridge will be blocked from view in this angle in a couple of years.

...by this...40 Story,539 ft condo and 16 story 16 story 4 Seasons Hotel..

There are a few recent signs that this project will indeed break ground in the 1st Quarter of 2019 as proposed.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 8:50 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
The Korean Veterans Bridge will be blocked from view in this angle in a couple of years.

...by this...40 Story,539 ft condo and 16 story 16 story 4 Seasons Hotel..

There are a few recent signs that this project will indeed break ground in the 1st Quarter of 2019 as proposed.

What a beaut/stunner! To which signs are you referring?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 8:58 PM

So proud of Nashville, would live there in a minute if I did not love the ATL...

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
What a beaut/stunner! To which signs are you referring?
First, obviously, they have publicly mentioned a 1Q 2019 start, but other signs include their web page which 'anticipates' a 2021 completion which would indicate an impending start. And an acquaintance mentioned that a mockup of a Four Seasons Hotel room is being prepared and hinted it was indeed intended for the 151 First Avenue development.

Nothing is official until it's official, I know, but I think this one is good to go.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 2:58 AM

Renderings for a 16 story office building and hotel at 3415 Murphy Road in the westernmost reaches of Midtown were revealed today as GBT Realty Corporation applied to Metro Planning for approvals. The area has a 12 story office building already, but there may be some neighborhood push back against this.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 11:50 AM

There are several hilltops surrounding downtown Nashville that feature great views of the skyline and real estate on the hilltops is getting very pricey and is disappearing fast

The Sylvan Heights and Nevada Heights promontories just west of downtown have the best view; one that includes not only downtown, but SoBro, The Gulch and the full sweep of Midtown presenting the 34 block long skyline with all it's urban density. You can get that view by turning on to I-440 from I-40 on the west side of town. If you are cruising around town, I recommend you drive that way.

Taking advantage of this view, the SkyNashville residential development will begin construction in October. Excuse the rendering I tried to enhance, but the original is pretty bad.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 10:34 PM

Upon learning from the Architect's website of a 'Winter 2018' start date for the Embassy Suite/Hotel Curio development, I made a card of the eight significant buildings publicly scheduled to start within the next six months or so.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 3:17 PM

Tonight's the critical night for approval of the new soccer stadium at the Fairgrounds. The 40 member Metro Council will vote on several issues lumped into one vote, as I understand, requiring 27 votes to approve (27 required to approve demolition of existing buildings). One assessment indicates there may be 25 pro votes in the bag with 6 don't knows. They would only need 2 of those votes to win.

The process has been difficult and convoluted with a small, but vocal opposition mostly concerned about the future of the flea market. Every trick in the book has been tried to delay, stall and kill the project.

Another point of contention is the allocation of 10 acres of the property for the use of the team owners to develop as a mixed use, revenue generating property that will help to payoff bonds to build the stadium.

The City has required a Community Benefits Plan as part of the deal which will provide affordable housing among other provisions.

The financing plan is a thing of beauty in my opinion.
  • The city issued $225 million in bonds to finance the construction.
  • The team owners will put up the $150,000,000 expansion fee.
  • Funds from ticket sales and revenues from the new development will ostensibly go to paying off debt.
A little more from the incredible Soccer Stadium Digest...

Quote:
Last November, the Metro Council approved $225 million in bonding for a new MLS stadium at The Fairgrounds Nashville. That was a major accomplishment for the Nashville MLS expansion bid, and ultimately played a part in the league’s approval of Nashville’s pitch in December. However, the issuing of those bonds is contingent upon the completion of several stadium-related agreements that still need to be finalized. Briley’s administration has filed those four pieces of legislation with the council–including the lease for the development, the demolition of existing buildings on the stadium site along with the implementation of a $1.75 ticket tax, rezoning for the development, and $50 million in general obligation bonds for related expenses such as infrastructure improvements and new fairgrounds buildings.
If this fails, it would look very grim with regards to keeping the franchise.

What we have now...

And what is proposed...

The stadium is now described as a 30,500 seat facility (per Mayor Briley) and that would be the largest soccer specific stadium in the USA. It will no doubt be busy with concerts, sporting events and other activities. This size stadium will be appropriate for Music City.

And now, NASCAR has expressed interest in the 5/8's mile Fairgrounds Speedway for some purpose not yet detailed.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 4:10 AM

The City Council voted to approve all bills allowing the construction of the Soccer Stadium. Now we can move on and get on with design and construction.

Per the TENNESSEAN....

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 1:09 PM

I was in Nashville over the Labor Day weekend visiting family and I love all the development that I saw. Some of the vistas of the Nashville skyline from various points are just amazing. And, there is such a buzz and vibrancy in the city.

But if Nashville doesn't do something quick to relieve traffic congestion the city will be at full gridlock in the not too distant future. One thing that I've noticed is that traffic is much heavier on all major thoroughfares throughout Davidson County. My mom lives in Antioch and I found the traffic on Murfreesboro Road and Donelson Pike to be heavy most of the time that I was there. Even late at night there was far more traffic than I've witnessed in the past few years. Briley Parkway was also very heavy even the areas where there are 4 lanes in each direction. Clarksville Pike was much heavier than I've ever seen. And, I won't begin to discuss all the arteries leading into downtown like Main Street, West End/Broadway, Charlotte Pike. Oh, and Green Hills is a disaster in terms of traffic. But I do love how the new highrise looks. I know it was controversial to build that highrise in Green Hills, but I'd love to see a few more.

One thing that I wish Nashville would consider doing is adding signage along the interstates on the approach into Nashville that announces the city. Orlando has a couple of nice bridges that go over interstates that have "ORLANDO" spelled out on them. They are such a welcoming touch. It would be nice if Nashville did something similar on all points of entry into the city.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 1:17 PM

Quote:
The City Council voted to approve all bills allowing the construction of the Soccer Stadium. Now we can move on and get on with design and construction.

Per the TENNESSEAN....
Thank goodness. I was getting concerned that the Council might embarrass the city and vote it down. For the life in me I just didn't get the concerns over the flea market. It was pretty clear that the new plan increases space for the flea market. I guess some folks just want everything to stay the same. Including the old, outdated and raggedy fairgrounds. C'mon people... elevate from Country Bumpkins to Cosmopolitan Bumpkins... LOL!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations