HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Wilshire Grand Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 3:38 PM
Editor

I really would likee to see this built. It's great architecture and the design reminds me a little at NYC's lovely Bank of America Tower.

Only a drawing in the diagrams ins missing!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 10:17 PM
Website Manager

This design doesn't really get me going. It seems fat at the bottom and not fancy enough a the top, like the architect didn't want to try very hard. I have doubts about it being built anyways. The last office tower to be built in downtown LA was 18 years ago! (2 California Plaza) Generally when a city builds a very large office building it is during a boom period when many other smaller office buildings are built as well, but the last couple of years have seen a huge depression in the LA real estate market. Perhaps if this project holds out for long enough it could get built in 5 or so years if things pick up. I suppose since the developer is getting everything ready now he will be that much further ahead than anyone else trying to put up a tower when the next boom cycle comes. Hopefully by then the design has improved.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 3:19 AM
Laissez-Faire Forever!

California plaza was even meant to have a third, even taller tower, as most of us know, but the reason it never got built was because 1 and 2 Cal oversupplied the market so thoroughly that demand collapsed! Though I would like to see this tower built, and I think it's very exciting, I have to wonder, is (Downtown) LA ready for another massive skyscraper, and will it realistically have a high enough demand in even five years? What's the downtown office vacancy rate currently? How will this building's 110 combined floors affect the downtown markets? Landmark skyscrapers (especially a supertall!) are really awesome, but the demand has got to be real, or economies can get a bit messed up for a while. I'm sure the proposal's developers are not building speculatively right now, right?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 6:38 AM
New Yorker for life

http://dlanc.com/planning/aa-hearing...grand-project/

AA Hearing Re: Wilshire Grand Project

WHERE: LA City Hall – 200 North Spring Street – Room 1020 – Los Angeles, CA 90012

WHEN: WEDNESDAY – NOVEMBER 3, 2010 – 10:00 AM

PUBLIC HEARING OF CITY PLANNING DEPARTMENT
ADVISORY AGENCY/HEARING OFFICER

PROJECT NAME: Wilshire Grand Redevelopment
PROJECT ADDRESS: 916, 925 & 937 West 7th Street; 655, 685, 695 & 699 Figueroa Street; 900 & 930 W. Wilshire Blvd.

PROPOSED ACTION: Demolition of existing hotel and development of hotel and mixed-use project totalling not more than 2.5M s.f on a 3.2 acre site.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 7:58 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty View Post
I love your enthusiasm! You sound as excited as an Angeleno would be!
Well, though I am from New York and this city will always have a big piece of my heart, Los Angeles has always captivated me from afar as the exact antipode of the Big Apple, and I would love to see it in person some day. So far, my deep interest has led to a desire for information, and eventually a distant fondness for L.A. that I only see growing as time goes on and after I visit. It's a fascinating place.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterMileSidewalk View Post
How will this building's 110 combined floors affect the downtown markets?
The shorter structure would be built first and is a hotel/condo tower to replace the existing hotel, so that would have no effect on the downtown office market. The taller structure would then follow and likely wouldn't be completed until almost 2020. Who knows what the office market will be like then? But if the area continues to improve like many expect it to it's not so unreasonable to think the demand may be there.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 10:13 PM

I read in the LA Business Journal that the first tower could be completed by 2016.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 10:19 PM
Website Manager

Matthew D. added a drawing of this project to the diagrams! --> http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=26

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 1:35 AM
Heavy User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
I read in the LA Business Journal that the first tower could be completed by 2016.
Don't suppose there's a link?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Phil View Post
Don't suppose there's a link?
Here ya go:

http://www.labusinessjournal.com/new...-thinking-big/

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 8:57 AM
Seek The Upward Horizon

I guess side-mounted spires are the only option as long as the helipad ordinance still applies.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 8:22 PM

^ But sooner or later it's gonna get old.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
Matthew D. added a drawing of this project to the diagrams! --> http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=26

Though the height difference between the building and the spire are pretty big. I think it's only taller than the US Bank if the spire is included.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 8:24 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Here are the important pieces of the article that pertain to this project. The phasing of the project is not necessarily guaranteed, but is being considered as an option. And I read this to mean that the entire project would open in 2016, not just a first phase.

Quote:
Meanwhile, the downtown development, which is being jointly developed by Korean Air and Thomas Properties, is just as ambitious. It would replace the 896-room Wilshire Grand with a 45-story, 560-room luxury hotel topped by 100 condominiums; a 65-story office building; a six-story building between the two towers with space for ballrooms, meeting rooms and restaurants; and a small outdoor plaza.

The company recently submitted its environmental impact report for the downtown project and expects it to be approved early next year. Thomas said Korean Air is “in a hurry-up mode” and would like to get started as soon as possible.

The developers could phase in different portions of the project, including building the hotel first. Thomas said it could open as soon as 2016.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 8:41 PM
Heavy User

^Noticed that too. I'm all for developers thinking highly enough about the potential DT to be in a 'hurry up mode.'

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 5:24 AM
Urbanite in Suburbia

I have read many in here debating the viability of a huge new office tower in the relatively soft market downtown. Though downtown LA has a lower vancancy rate than many urban areas across the nation, its still in the higher tier. But my arguement for the tower is similar to the arguement being made for the new WTC in NY. Aside from the touted reasoning that in the time it takes to build, the market may have a much higher demand, another major point is that the class A space downtown, as with many downtowns, is aging, and becoming less competative. Renovations can salvage much, but many companies are looking for a state of the art building to house in. SInce nothing of note has been built in DTLA in near 20 years, it may not just generate interest from new prospective businesses, but may lure others from neighboring, older towers. The fact that it takes another nation's thinkers to want to take that chance and be forward minded says alot about why the US is in the condition that its in. (thats my rant!...hope it gets built! )

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 7:19 PM
Editor

That one reminds me to Bank of America Tower in NYC. I hope it gets buit, but I'm not sure that there is need fpr it in that econmic times.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 10:33 PM

people, the economy today has nothing to do with it. economic times change as does demand. With downtown LA improving every day, its very feasible that there will be strong demand for this office building as well as others 5 years down the line. The momentum can really build.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 10:48 PM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
people, the economy today has nothing to do with it. economic times change as does demand. With downtown LA improving every day, its very feasible that there will be strong demand for this office building as well as others 5 years down the line. The momentum can really build.
Not only that, these development companies perform thousands of hours of due diligence. They know which tenants are where, when their leases expire, who's looking to relocate from other locations, etc, etc.

Remember that by 2016, there will not have been a significant new office tower in downtown in almost 25 years. Given the advances in building technologies, a tower such as this would be an excellent entry into the market.

Not that this is the only project on the boards, but it's probably the one with the most viability.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 1:05 AM
Up Up and Away

It would be an incredible addition to the Los Angeles skyline, if built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive