HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisouthside View Post
Do you know whats the estimated height?
And does McCaffery still control that site? Or was it sold with the rest of RC?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
And does McCaffery still control that site? Or was it sold with the rest of RC?
The latter IIRC.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Hey guys, I'll be visiting from Philly for the first time on Friday, and I'm probably gonna have a day or two with nothing planned. As an architecture nerd, what would you guys say are the coolest/best things to see?
(Food recommendations are also appreciated).
* Architectural boat tour: Pretty much a must if you're into architecture and/or history. You really won't find anywhere else in the US (world?) that has dramatic skyscrapers along a river so close to the water as Chicago IMO. The river isn't that wide so it creates a canyon that is awesome.

3 main companies that do it, all are good IMO. I think the ones from Chicago Architecture Foundation may go to a better cause though.To be honest, I recommend the ones that also go into the lake, but the river-only ones suffice too.

* Take in the entirety of the riverwalk (pretty much the south side of the river). Pretty awesome. Also the views from the Michigan Avenue bridge area can be very dramatic (https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8889...7i13312!8i6656)

* Walk or bike along the lakefront. There are extremely dramatic skyline views along here. Check it out from both Oak Street Beach and also North Avenue Beach. Even further north (easy to get to with a bike) is Montrose Beach which is further. The lakefront has 17 miles of public land, parks, beaches, etc. Riding a bike along it is amazing - I really miss riding from numerous miles north of downtown and heading south into downtown. Nothing like it in the country really (and I say this as someone who lives in Manhattan now - this is one of a kind). There are so many good shots skyline wise. Also skyline, there is a 95th floor lounge at the John Hancock Tower which gets very busy but awesome, awesome views. The view looking north along the waterline is just amazing during the day.

* Gold Coast - some people consider parts of this part of downtown but it really depends on where you are. There's a lot of old turn of the 20th century and 19th century mansions here (including the original Playboy Mansion). One of my distant cousins is an Architecture writer for New York Times, LA Times, Wired, The Architect's Newspaper, etc and he was pretty much in awe of this area when I took him through it a few years ago.

Original Playboy Mansion for reference: https://www.google.com/maps/place/14...!4d-87.6280086

Also I'd check out the 3 Arts Club, which is a 100+ year old former women's arts club at over 70,000 sq ft converted into a Restoration Hardware with a cafe in the middle that's pretty dramatic and spectacular. Ridiculous wait times, but definitely worth checking out for a handful of minutes at least:
http://3artsclubcafe.com/

* You can take a water taxi for just a few dollars (I think you can buy online otherwise they accept only card on board) to Chinatown which is a little south of downtown. They drop off right outside of a residential area that's next to the new part of Chinatown. There's 2 parts of Chinatown - old (https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8526...7i13312!8i6656) and new (https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8538...!7i8376!8i4188). The older part of Chinatown has some older housing stock that's mildly interesting.

Architecturally, the new part of Chinatown is set up similar to many alleyways you'll find in various cities in China, although those alleys are at least a few centuries old. I did not realize this until I visited a handful of cities in China for the first time last year and my girlfriend's parents visited from China and pointed it out. I have a better appreciation for the newer part of Chinatown in Chicago as a result.

For food, I definitely recommend Qing Xiang Yuan Dumpling (http://qxydumplings.com) which are very legitimate NE Chinese style dumplings. Very good.

* Chicago is a city of neighborhoods, so definitely get outside of downtown. Some of the more popular neighborhoods socially are ones like Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Uptown, Rogers Park, Lincoln Square, Ravenswood, Pilsen, Logan Square, Hyde Park, etc etc.

If you like mural art, then you should visit Pilsen. The main train stop (18th Street Pink Line) is totally muralled and awesome (https://www.flickr.com/photos/lisc-chicago/4494288530). The neighborhood is very Mexican, though the artists and hipsters have moved in for quite awhile. You'll find a lot of murals all over the place and the architecture can be interesting (https://interactive.wttw.com/my-neig.../pilsen/murals).

The Museum of Mexican Art is also located in Pilsen which is free. There is a lot of good food in the neighborhood - can't go wrong with most of the Mexican places there and recently there's been some very good more trendy food options to go in there (i.e. HaiSous, S.K.Y, etc). Pilsen is named after the city in modern day Czech Republic and it was originally inhabited by Czech/Bohemian peoples back in the day and you can see some of how the city was before the "Raising of Chicago" --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_of_Chicago).

* Probably want to visit some Frank Lloyd Wright stuff if you are into his architecture. His home and studio was in the suburb of Oak Park which is accessible by train. They offer tours (http://cal.flwright.org/tours/homeandstudio). He also has numerous homes in the city like the Robie House (Hyde Park --> https://flwright.org/visit/robiehouse). The foundation runs more tours here https://flwright.org/tours

* Food - it's Chicago so there's tons of good options. I'd get the obligatory Chicago Hot Dog out of the way - there's a million places to get it. Deep Dish is pretty much touristy but my favorites are Pequod's in Lincoln Park and Lou Malnati's. Downtown has a lot of options but you won't find a lot of legitimate ethnic options (you will find them and sometimes legitimate but the outside neighborhoods do it better).

In the end, it's your first visit. Downtown Chicago is spectacular - there are a lot of dramatic things to see along the river, Millennium Park (i.e. the Bean), along the lakeshore, etc. But there's so much good architecture spread throughout the city so I recommend trying to get outside of downtown after you check it out. Though you could easily spend a few days just downtown and never leave.

Last edited by marothisu; Aug 28, 2018 at 12:24 AM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 12:15 AM

Sort of a hazy day, but here are some pictures of assorted projects from afar

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 12:16 AM

You nailed it Marothisu. The only thing I would add is the terrace at Cindy's rooftop. That is where I decided I was going to move here.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 12:20 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Greyhound bus site on Chicago River moves closer to big residential development

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...story,amp.html
I have long thought that it would be cool if Goose Island eventually got built up and became a Chicago River version of a mini Manhattan. This was in my college days 15 years ago, and I never thought it would happen in my lifetime. But between all the planned north branch redevelopment, as well as this project, it just might happen, which would blow my late teens/early 20's mind, lol.

We just need to figure out transit for all this, in order not to make this river corridor a traffic nightmare. Correction: an even worse traffic nightmare!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Sort of a hazy day, but here are some pictures of assorted projects from afar
fantastic vantage point - hazy is what you say when inside the tower - it was freaking muggy as Hades at street level.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
fantastic vantage point - hazy is what you say when inside the tower - it was freaking muggy as Hades at street level.
Haha, yep. I was very happy I brought lunch today. Nasty nasty weather

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I have long thought that it would be cool if Goose Island eventually got built up and became a Chicago River version of a mini Manhattan. This was in my college days 15 years ago, and I never thought it would happen in my lifetime. But between all the planned north branch redevelopment, as well as this project, it just might happen, which would blow my late teens/early 20's mind, lol.

We just need to figure out transit for all this, in order not to make this river corridor a traffic nightmare. Correction: an even worse traffic nightmare!
It's pretty crazy to think about you know. You have Lincoln Yards, plus this potentially, plus the Chicago Tribune site redevelopment. This entire area stretch of the river could look VERY different in 10-15 years from now. Many high rises and who knows what it could spur in the future.

Agree about the transit. At this point they'd really need to figure that out if they expect that many people to be living and working in and around Goose Island. If not, it'll become an all out nightmare.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 12:43 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It's pretty crazy to think about you know. You have Lincoln Yards, plus this potentially, plus the Chicago Tribune site redevelopment. This entire area stretch of the river could look VERY different in 10-15 years from now. Many high rises and who knows what it could spur in the future.

Agree about the transit. At this point they'd really need to figure that out if they expect that many people to be living and working in and around Goose Island. If not, it'll become an all out nightmare.
Totally! Its definitely a mind f*ck, in the best way possible lol.

Yup, transit is going to be a must here. And not just a BRT/LR dead end line to/from the Loop. We need dedicated and interconnected transit that will allow people to access the rest of the city's transport infrastructure thats nearby (Blue, Brown/Purple, Metra). Especially if Sterling Bay expects to somehow squeeze in a half dozen sport/concert venues, let alone the amount of residents and workers as you said.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 1:58 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Pequod’s for Chicago style deep dish (if you care enough to go up there and wait), or Lou Malnati’s (various locations) if you don’t.
Or if you're in a rush, go to Art of Pizza at State and Polk for by-the-slice goodness.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 1:59 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I would eat a hot dog and check out this really neat gas station at Roosevelt and Wabash
Urban Counter (inside that gas station) makes a mean hot dog.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 2:00 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelfish View Post
[*]If you are going to Navy Pier (wouldn't recommend unless you are with young children), you can walk a couple blocks west to check out the under construction One Bennett Park, whose exterior is almost finished.[/LIST]
If you do go to Navy Pier, you might as well take the lakefront Water Taxi to Museum Campus. It's $8/$10 (depending on weekday or weekend) and you get splendid views from the water for much cheaper than a boat tour. Plus it gets you away from Navy Pier (if you haven't figured it out, Navy Pier is Chicago's version of Reading Terminal Market, a tourist trap for suburbanites and Iowans).

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 2:06 AM
BANNED

^^^^^ What an awesome Goose Island fantasy. If I were king I’d build a single large L station with a network of street cars like San Fran, and no traffic allowed.

[QUOTE=PittsburghPA;8295832]You nailed it Marothisu. The only thing I would add is the terrace at Cindy's rooftop. That is where I decided I was going to move here =QUOTE]

Can’t forget Cindy’s or the 2nd floor lobby/game room if it’s winter. Easy to understand why it inspired such a life-changing decision!

Great list, Marothisu. I second the Riverwalk option. Nothing quite like it in the world.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Easy to understand why it inspired such a life-changing decision!
Best decision I've ever made!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post

Just want to clarify.
The Island itself in the overlay ordinance is intended to remain purely commercial and has no opportunity for bonus or upzoning.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 3:24 AM
Development Shill

I didn't realize Onni was behind the Goose Island project. Those dudes like to build build build here. Before, I kind of just thought Goose Island was stupid pipe dream that would never have much materialize, at least not in the near future. Still could be stupid, we'll see

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 4:26 AM
Chicago

Roosevelt Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Looks like site prep work may be starting on the Roosevelt Collection tower:

http://www.sloopin.com/2018/08/const...roosevelt.html
August 27, 2018

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 4:27 AM
Chicago

Alta Grand Central - Wells and Harrison

August 27, 2018

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 4:28 AM
Chicago

145 S Wells

August 27, 2018

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations