HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Why do people even write stupid stuff like "remove vehicle traffic"? Why not just write 'remove customers"!? The fact is without that customer from outside the local area the Island would wither. The only way you could remove traffic would be to build a parking structure immediately adjacent to the island.
Because a lot of people don't come to Granville Island by car and having lots of parking damages the experience and prevents it from becoming much better. Part of this plan is also to make it more accessible by means other vehicle i.e. the bus-bridge-elevator concept.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 8:54 PM

The people who want no elevators and no cars should be thoroughly ignored. Road closures + no alternative transport = commercial suicide.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 9:12 PM

Just thinking about off-island parking, and it occurred to me that there's all that reserve land under & beside the Burrard Bridge, as well as the Molson brewery site - get access to some of that for a parkade, and then string a gondola line from there to Granville Island. Or a frequent tram along the former rail line.

Wonder if that's been considered? Just a thought.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth44 View Post
Just thinking about off-island parking, and it occurred to me that there's all that reserve land under & beside the Burrard Bridge, as well as the Molson brewery site - get access to some of that for a parkade, and then string a gondola line from there to Granville Island. Or a frequent tram along the former rail line.

Wonder if that's been considered? Just a thought.
By the time that would likely get built, parking may no longer be a thing. In 10-20 years I expect autonomous vehicles to be common. With robo-taxis, people won't need to own a car and won't need to park a car.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
Because a lot of people don't come to Granville Island by car and having lots of parking damages the experience and prevents it from becoming much better. Part of this plan is also to make it more accessible by means other vehicle i.e. the bus-bridge-elevator concept.
What parking damages are you referring to? The one fatality in 30+ years? Outside of the City of Vancouver, few people are going to want to hassle be coming by skytrain+bus+elevator. In the summer months, which is when those businesses make their rent, its the people coming in for a day in the city or with visiting friends and relatives that put money in the till.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 12:13 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
The people who want no elevators and no cars should be thoroughly ignored. Road closures + no alternative transport = commercial suicide.
Just put the elevator outside the cross section of the bridge, and maybe put the bike underneath the road deck.

Simple compromises to make this a lot more palatable are frequently ignored.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 6:11 AM

ARTS UMBRELLA ANNOUNCES MAJOR CONTRIBUTIONS FOR OUR NEW HOME

Quote:
Today was an exciting day! Today was a brilliant, shining-like-wet-paint-on-fresh-canvas kind of day. It was the launch of something that will impact generations of young artists in this province, and we couldn’t be happier to share it with you.

This morning on Granville Island, The Honourable Melanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage, and the Honourable Lisa Beara, Minister for Tourism, Arts and Culture, made funding announcements about Arts Umbrella’s new home at 1400 Johnston Street on Granville Island.

Minister Joly announced a historic $7 million in funding from the Department of Canadian Heritage through the Canada Cultural Spaces Fund. This funding will support the reconstruction of our new building, giving it a much-needed renovation to create a purpose-built facility for young artists.

In November 2017, the Province of British Columbia announced the transfer of the building to Arts Umbrella. Today, Minister Beare announced an additional contribution of $1.4 million, which will provide the organization operational sustainability in the years to come.
Quote:
Award-winning architect Richard Henriquez, O.C., of Henriquez Partners Architects will lead the renewal of the Patkau-designed building, which was built in the 1990s. We hope to open our doors for the Fall 2019 session, with outstanding new facilities for our students and staff to enjoy.

Timeline

March 2018: final design development, building code consultation, electrical, mechanical, structural engineering consultation.
Aug 2018: construction and renovations begin
Sep 2019: New facility opens
Facilities

7 Dance studios designed to suit dancers of all ages and experience.
5 Theatre & Music studios with specialized technical and audio equipment that support multi-media applications.
8 Visual, Applied & Media Arts studios with state-of-the-art media labs, a darkroom for photography, and two kilns for ceramics.
A 160-seat professional theatre open to Vancouver’s arts community.
A publicly accessible exhibition space to showcase the works of students and visiting artists.
New workshop spaces for woodworking, stagecraft building, and general fabrication will enhance our capacity to train professionals for the industry.

https://www.artsumbrella.com/stories...ions-new-home/

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 9:22 PM

Great use for the island. I was disappointed to see Emily Carr leaving so this should fill that void quite nicely.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 7:00 PM

The removal of parking spaces adjacent to The Public Market for the new "Popina Canteen"
https://granvilleisland.com/news/loc...popina-canteen
My pics May 25:

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanville View Post
The removal of parking spaces adjacent to The Public Market for the new "Popina Canteen"
https://granvilleisland.com/news/loc...popina-canteen
Just brilliant. Take some of the most popular and heavily used parking away.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Just brilliant. Take some of the most popular and heavily used parking away.
Granville Island should have no cars.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 12:37 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
Granville Island should have commercial vehicle access only.
Fixed.

I mean, you will be hard pressed these days to find a place adjacent to Granville island you can afford to put parking or even a multi-level parking garage but access for resturants and shops to still get serviced is a requirement.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Fixed.

I mean, you will be hard pressed these days to find a place adjacent to Granville island you can afford to put parking or even a multi-level parking garage but access for resturants and shops to still get serviced is a requirement.
From spending a lot of time in European cities they seem to do a great job of servicing shops by carts and dollies. But I would be happy if it was reduced to just service vehicles, mainly after hours. A lot of European cities have barriers up in the day and they lower them at night for cleaning trucks and deliveries.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Why? I don't get why people don't like cars. I find an area much more interesting when there are cars coming and going. And traffic on GI is relatively slow. As a pedestrian on GI I have never felt vehicle traffic eff end my experience negatively in anyway. Also, a lot of people go to GI in cars, why would you want to make it less accessible??

Last edited by osirisboy; May 27, 2018 at 12:59 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Why? I don't get why people don't like cars. I find an area much more interesting when there are cars coming and going. And traffic on GI is relatively slow
Don't you prefer being able to walk more freely in a pedestrian only market? Having to watch out for cars, and tour buses is not very chill, they are loud and dirty. Granville Island should have more restaurants and bars with patios where people can chill and have a beer while watching the boats go by. Have you experienced walking only areas in cities such as Seville, Dublin or Prague? After being in such places it has lead me to hate the North American dominant car culture.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Don't you prefer being able to walk more freely in a pedestrian only market? Having to watch out for cars, and tour buses is not very chill, they are loud and dirty. Granville Island should have more restaurants and bars with patios where people can chill and have a beer while watching the boats go by. Have you experienced walking only areas in cities such as Seville, Dublin or Prague? After being in such places it has lead me to hate the North American dominant car culture.
I don't feel at all constrained walking around there. Not to mention there are lots of areas where there are no cars. It's basically one street that loops around with slow moving traffic, not at all a barrier to my movement. And I don't really find cars loud and dirty. Although, I haven't noticed tour buses on GI before, I agree those would be awkward.

I don't see people not going to GI because there are cars on it. However, I would bet there would be way less people that would go if there were no car access available.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 1:43 AM

Quote:
I don't feel at all constrained walking around there. Not to mention there are lots of areas where there are no cars. It's basically one street that loops around with slow moving traffic, not at all a barrier to my movement. And I don't really find cars loud and dirty. Although, I haven't noticed tour buses on GI before, I agree those would be awkward.

I don't see people not going to GI because there are cars on it. However, I would bet there would be way less people that would go if there were no car access available.
I don't think it's that people won't go to Granville Island because there are cars. It's that Granville Island could be a much nicer space if they were fewer cars. Those parking spaces could be be plazas or play areas. Even if the traffic is moving slowly, as a pedestrian you always have to have your guard up if there cars around - it's something that could potential injure or kill you or your kid. Having larger car free spaces means that people can be more at ease.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 1:56 AM

hmm, true the parking lot isn't attractive. You could get rid of the parking lot and put parrelel street parking for short term like 1 hr. and have a parkade for longer parking.

But I certainly don't feel guarded waking around there with cars. I don't even think about it

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Granville Island should just be for a handful of select Vancouverites living nearby and tourists, even though it’s owned by all Canadians.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Hit the nail on the head. If you take away transportation capacity and don't put it back somewhere else, all you get is less business.

All the more reason to build the damn streetcar, I suppose.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver