HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 3:17 AM
Gainfully Employed

^Yeah, his Conshohocken project looks pretty good. Was it 1,000? I posted it in this thread I think, but I was too lazy to look for it. He still needs approval first I believe.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 4:19 PM

Sorry, I'll try to refrain from using the term "critical mass".....

Your right, the amount of change in just a few years is incredible. Did you notice an ironworker fell off the new Barclay building a few days ago...not sure how serious his injuries were,but pretty sure he lived.

mgan- is that a new "general store" across from Al's on Market Street or has that been there? Been in there? Store any good?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 10:00 PM

a couple of years ago (er probably 12), I had the chance to buy a laundrymat with 2 appartments in browntown for 50K... Problem was neither my brother or I wanted to live in wilmington at the time. we each lived and worked in Newark with sub-10 minute comutes.

Browntowns problem is that the houses/lots are tiny... no room for cars. Delaware is a suburban state and nobody considers life without a car.

That said, I would consider scouring browntown for some rental bargains.

Last edited by Kitchen Guy; Feb 25, 2006 at 5:11 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2006, 11:47 PM
Gainfully Employed

greggpow: The iron worker fell about 35' and had two broken legs. The store isn't open yet (Tuesday), but looks pretty good. It'll be nice to not have to go to Trolley Square for everything.

Kitchen Guy: Browntown's alright, I've never really spent any amount of time there. The polish parts are pretty decent. As for the lack of parking, there is street parking, which is sufficient. The homes aren't smaller than the average row home elsewhere in the city. I think that, generally, people' percieved need for space is greater than their actual need. The real problem with almost all row homes is no closet space.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2006, 4:00 PM

Mglan80,

you mean you don't shop at that suburban shopping center on 4th street (adams 4?) 8)

I suspect you will see a Trader Joe's/Whole Foods type market at Justisons landing. Unfortunately you will have to wait until 09 for the grand opening.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2006, 7:02 PM
I ate your kids. Sorry.

Great news on the crane for Christina Landing.

Damn it's hot today. Must be around 90. Dont yous agree?

Oh yeah, I forgot, you guys are in Wilmington. I'm in Costa Rica

Old Posted Feb 27, 2006, 8:02 PM

That Joey D, he's such a nice boy...

any tall buildings going up in Costa Rica?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2006, 12:29 AM
Gainfully Employed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guy
you mean you don't shop at that suburban shopping center on 4th street (adams 4?) 8)
No, but I hear their organic truffle selection is unrivaled.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2006, 2:40 PM

Adam's Four

The Payless Shoe store is one of the nicer ones in that chain (a qualified endorsement) and there is an authentic Mexican place that's pretty good. I'd pass on the rest though.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2006, 7:42 PM

Browntown

Browntown has great access to the riverfront through Beech Street which is a fabulous shortcut during games or when there is traffic. (Feel free to use that route but keep it between us.)

I would love to see some condo high rises on the west side of the freeway to pschologically tie in the two neighborhoods. You would have to angle them so that you weren't staring at the freeway though.

Mglan80: I think if you get a tape measure, you'll find that the rowhomes in the Browntown/Lancaster Ave. area are pretty small compared to the ones in Trolley Square or Quaker Hill.

There may be some confusion as to boundaries of neighborhoods. The bottom of the hill is Browntown (small homes), the middle of the hill is Hedgeville (larger row homes and duplexes), and the top of the hill is Bayard Square (pretty pricey). Most people from outside call all of that whole area of south Wilmington "Browntown" and, as long as you don't call it South Bridge , we usually let it slide.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2006, 8:15 PM

Welcome aboard Soynog!

I wouldn't dismiss a view of 95 so fast. From the right distance, it adds a sense of dynamism.

The best view (in my humble opinion) from the Christina landing apartment building is north from floors 3-7. You see the city skyline AND the trains moving in and out of the station and in the late afternoon, the rowers on the river.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2006, 1:30 AM
Gainfully Employed

Quote:
Originally Posted by soynog
Browntown has great access to the riverfront through Beech Street which is a fabulous shortcut during games or when there is traffic. (Feel free to use that route but keep it between us.)
I use that street alot. I think it's an arguement against a new ramp for the Riverfront area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soynog
Mglan80: I think if you get a tape measure, you'll find that the rowhomes in the Browntown/Lancaster Ave. area are pretty small compared to the ones in Trolley Square or Quaker Hill.
I wasn't clear in my post. What I meant was that the average row home in Wilmington is a "one window, one door," type (the front is one double hung window and the door). There are larger ones, in Forty Acres and Brandywine Village areas that are "two windows, one door," but there are alot more of the "one window, one door" types. The "two window" jobs are pretty spacious in my opinion, but are usually two floors as opposed to the three floors of the usual "one window" homes.

As for the neighborhood names, I didn't know that about Bayard Square. There's alot I still don't know about this town, being an outsider. People calling Browntown/Hedgeville Southbridge is pretty bad, but it can't be nearly as annoying as people calling the Christina River the Christiana River. That always eats me.

Just a little bit of information: the garage going in between Orange and Shipley will be 361 spaces and will have 14,400 sq. ft. of retail on the ground floor. That's real progress for Orange and Shipley. New space is what alot of new retail businesses are looking for. Sorry, but I haven't been able to get my hands on any renderings (need someone at WTC for that one since they're financing it).

Oh, and a crane is back on the Renaissance center site...for whatever that's worth.

Last edited by mglan80; Mar 1, 2006 at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2006, 7:04 PM

Christiana [sic] Crossing

We share a pet peeve then!

I was able to confirm my long-standing suspicion that “Christiana” is just a misspelling of “Christina.” There is actually a little town along the Christina called Christiana south of the mall and hospital that is kind of cute, albeit illiterate. There is a marker there that the town was originally called “Christiana Crossing” which *has* to refer the river there.

Unfortunately, I think we have a loosing cause. Even the old Metroform disaster area along Churchman’s is calling itself Christiana now. I can only think of Christina Place Centre (the Chase/Bank One high rises), Christina Landing of course, the school district, and the river itself that are on our side.

Maybe opening up Fort Christina Marina will help.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2006, 11:01 PM
Gainfully Employed

^I had thought the town of Christiana was named after a Swedish prince Christian, and the river was named after the princess Christina.

Metroform...who were the ad wizards that came up with that one?

I mentioned it a few pages (and months) ago, but the City was soliciting bids for a redevelopment of the Fort Christina marina last summer. I had asked a few people about it, but mum was the word. All I got out of them was that two bids were received.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2006, 1:34 AM
I ate your kids. Sorry.

I got home last night from Costa Rica. Of course, the first thing I did was to drive downtown to see what was up with the city.

I was remarkably surprised by a few things. First, I was greeted with a couple new cranes. I see Christina River Tower is now up to the first floor with a new attractive crane.

The WSFS HQ is looking bigger than I thought it would look against the backdrop of its taller neighbors. It appears to be on the 15th floor, however I see some more beams protruding from the top as if there were to be another floor on top of what there already is. Can Anybody explain?

I also saw that there is concrete now toward MLK on the Barclay building.. looks pretty big now from 95.

Wilmington is on FIIIIRE!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2006, 2:22 PM

Question The Big News

You left out the most surprising development. Something might actually get built across from the court house!?!

I was driving by Renaissance site yesterday, and a gentleman was urinating on the back of the (asbestos-ridden) historic buildings still on that block.

I'm not sure if that was the official groundbreaking or not though.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2006, 10:34 PM
Gainfully Employed

^Yeah, the project in the now in the full-on construction phase. They've been ripping down the rear of buildings fronting Market Street, and diggin around the site. I noticed on my walk home today that they've got a new foreman trailer on 5th Street, too. It sucks that the 14 or 15 story version isn't getting built, but I'll take anything to get rid of that eyesore block. Once the Ships Tavern Garage is built, this part of King Street might look respectable.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 3:56 AM

Ships Tavern Sidewalks

Hey MGLAN80,

After the parade today, I stopped by the coffe shop in your neighborhood. The sidewalk by the Renaissance Centre was closed, as I expected. And what a quality job it looks like they're doing .

On the block below that, they also have the sidewalk closed on the opposite side of Market by the old Farmers Bank. This makes it very pedestrian unfriendly, which seems to go against the whole idea of Ships Tavern.

Are they doing something worthwhile at that site?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 8:51 PM
Gainfully Employed

^The fencing is from the street work that went on most of last year for sewer main replacement down Market from 6th to 2nd. The contractor stored their equipment on the street there and fenced it in at night. They left the fence when they moved the equipment last fall. I've thought about moving the fence myself, but then I really don't feel like doing it. At least the trash in the lot was cleaned up on Friday before the parade.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2006, 5:23 PM

Mglan80
a phone call to the mayors office and to wilm econ dev. might get those fences moved. It's worth a try.

I am sad to see the city repeating the same stupidity of the 80's.

The new brick Market street has already been torn up and patched with blacktop for utility work. Just like the old Market Street Mall.

Why waste the money on a premium surface if you are not going to maintain it?!?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations