HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 11:17 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Van View Post
Do you think those yellowish panels on either side of the balconies are the final finish? If so, um, yuck?
LOL ............ welcome to the ummmm .... LOL

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 12:32 AM

It was a legitimate question...

If you look at the section of the building in question, the yellow panels higher up look different than the yellow insulated panels on the first few floors. But because I haven't seen the building myself lately, and couldn't tell for sure, I was asking THE PERSON WHO TOOK THE PICTURE -- who clearly has seen the building up close -- whether or not those were actual finished panels. Yes, I agree, it would be weird if that was the final finish, but there you have it. I was looking for clarity, not a couple of condescending one-liners.

Seriously, I've been reading this forum for years, and where it used to be intelligent conversation about ongoing construction, it's now a combination of nasty personal attacks and repetitive rants about NIBMYs, view cones, who has the better hockey team, why the poor people in the DTES should all just go away and die, what we should name buildings... and thinly veiled racist diatribes against Asian investors.

There are a handful of you who are clearly too intelligent to waste time interacting in a civil way with others who, god forbid, might have an actual question about a building. The newbies are routinely crucified just for expressing an opinion or asking a question, which doesn't really stimulate thoughtful debate, as far as I can see.

If it really is too great a burden for you to deal with those of us who have a genuine interest in the development of the city -- but who aren't "in the business," and therefore lack what you deem to be the appropriate level of knowledge -- then I suggest you raise the bar for membership, in order to keep us out of the forum in the first place, rather than humiliate us once we get here.

Last edited by Otis_Van; Apr 3, 2011 at 1:46 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Van View Post
It was a legitimate question...

If you look at the section of the building in question, the yellow panels higher up look different than the yellow insulated panels on the first few floors. But because I haven't seen the building myself lately, and couldn't tell for sure, I was asking THE PERSON WHO TOOK THE PICTURE -- who clearly has seen the building up close -- whether or not those were actual finished panels. Yes, I agree, it would be weird if that was the final finish, but there you have it. I was looking for clarity, not a couple of condescending one-liners.

Seriously, I've been reading this forum for years, and where it used to be intelligent conversation about ongoing construction, it's now a combination of nasty personal attacks and repetitive rants about NIBMYs, view cones, who has the better hockey team, why the poor people in the DTES should all just go away and die, what we should name buildings... and thinly veiled racist diatribes against Asian investors.

There are a handful of you who are clearly too intelligent to waste time interacting in a civil way with others who, god forbid, might have an actual question about a building. The newbies are routinely crucified just for expressing an opinion or asking a question, which doesn't really stimulate thoughtful debate, as far as I can see.

If it really is too great a burden for you to deal with those of us who have a genuine interest in the development of the city -- but who aren't "in the business," and therefore lack what you deem to be the appropriate level of knowledge -- then I suggest you raise the bar for membership, in order to keep us out of the forum in the first place, rather than humiliate us once we get here.
I think you're over-analyzing the situation as something more than it really is. That someone answered your query in a facetious manner does not mean they are attacking you, especially when most communication is through body language. Clearly no one has welcomed you to the forum so allow me to to say welcome.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
Clearly no one has welcomed you to the forum so allow me to to say welcome.
Hollywoodnorth welcomed him.

I'd be pissed too.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 2:54 AM

The "beige" cladding had already been discussed on the thread - so the question about "yellowish" panels could honestly have been about the yellow insulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In View Post
Lots of progress since the last update - my pics today:

Looks like beige metal cladding going up on the east side:

Full Size

Full Size

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 9:49 AM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The "beige" cladding had already been discussed on the thread - so the question about "yellowish" panels could honestly have been about the yellow insulation.
What would it have taken for someone to answer his/her question directly, or at least point to the page where an answer could be found? 5 seconds?

Last edited by EdinVan; Apr 3, 2011 at 10:11 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 10:09 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinVan View Post
Wouldn't it have been easier for someone to just answer his/her question? What would it have taken? 5 seconds?
It's bad when this forum starts to approach a furry-forum level of bickering. Can we please just treat each other with respect, give reasonable answers to reasonable questions, and generally post comments in the appropriate threads for their topic?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 4:16 PM

my question is why the f*** is there yellow panels instead of the black stone. I'm hoping the yellow is just a protective sheet over a darker coloured metal.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinVan View Post
What would it have taken for someone to answer his/her question directly, or at least point to the page where an answer could be found? 5 seconds?
I did, check the post immediately after his original query.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 12:10 AM

In a similar vein, I do want to say I wish those vertical trimming strips could have been covered with the same cool gray polished granite, as elsewhere on the building

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 12:43 AM

Anyways...

My photo from yesterday.

Three Harbour Green by s.yume, on Flickr

Check out the original 3700 x 5600 to see the yellowness in all its glory. http://www.flickr.com/photos/syume/5585399007/sizes/o/

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 12:57 AM

eeyeee ... sorta makes ya wanna throw up, don't it!

§§§ Seriousy, though, I don't know if that's what people are potentially complaining about. Grey granite is what I'd prefer, but that lighter colour they have seems to be OK to me. It's almost grey, very neutral.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 6:49 PM

Great photo Yume.

Out of curiosity, with what type of camera are you shooting?

As for the light coloured panels flanking the balconies, I have no problem with them. It accentuates the building's verticality and will also help visually delineate whatever people put on their balconies from the slick green curtain wall. The south elevation overlooking Thurlow is a bit of a mess due to the blank spandrel panels on what was likely going to be vision windows, and the granite surrounds would have essentially created the appearance of punched windows. Instead the granite surrounds increase the contrast with the spandrel panels in a way that is more pronounced that when the opaque spandrel panels are paired with vision glass elsewhere on the tower.

The spandrel panels on the elevation that Yume photographed do make perfect sense and will likely not look that different than light coloured curtains and blinds behind the green glass. The double column of spandrel panels cover the large column while the single row near the balconies covers a second, smaller column. Sure, the columns could have been pulled back from the exterior wall but that would have quite significantly altered the usable space in the rooms and likely impacted the developer's ability to command exceptionally high per square foot prices for large open rooms in the sky. The thin middle row of spandrel panels will cover an internal wall.

The greater percentage of spandrel panels on the south side were undoubtedly added well into the building's design process to help improve the building's solar performance and reduce heat gain to the units. It is unfortunate that this wasn't considered earlier in the building's design when real walls or even a shifted elevator core could have resulted in actual walls on the south facade instead of spandrel panels that only offer a pitiful 3 to 4 R-value score for their insulating qualities. This project was barely squeaking through at the LEED Silver equivalency level when it went through the UDP and the developer eschewed including the sort of mechanical solutions, such as ground-source geo-exchange heating and cooling system or an exploration of connecting to the Convention Centre's ocean-source geo-exchange system, that could have allowed a higher window to wall ratio and a cleaner less spandrel-happy appearance on the south side.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Apr 4, 2011 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 7:03 PM
Community Guy

I like "Hollywoodnorth"

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 8:47 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Great photo Yume.

He usually shoots with a 5D2 (this photo is no different).

I too kinda like the gold coloured panels, much better than leaving them exposed concrete in my opinion.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 12:54 AM

the yellow panels make no sense. It's so light coloured compared to everything else... that's all i see when i look at this elevation now.

What's with the scaffolding around the podium?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 2:13 AM

I love the yellow, its really grown on me... its just straight... money.

Green and gold, just seems so fantastically capitalist.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 2:58 AM

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Great photo Yume.

Thanks! As awvan said, I primarily use a 5D2 when I'm trying to take a "nice" photo lol - I was using my favorite lens; the 17 - 40mm wide angle lens. The other photos from the day were taken with a fisheye lens which I've become a little addicted to lately.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 5:40 AM

It looks capitalist? I'm surprised the city didn't reject it on those grounds alone!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver