HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 6:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
My own opinion about the new Winnipeg terminal is that it's sterile and pretty much the same as every other airport in the world.

It sucks, and is a poor substitute for the building it replaced.

No character, no warmth..jack shit to do there. There's no way that building will ever inspire a love of aviation in younger generations the way the old terminal did with its observation deck and cool modernist style.

Starchitect Pelli did this city an injustice.
Sorry, but I strongly disagree. I hated that faux-modernist 60s look, and I though it was the laughing stock of airports in this country for a city of Winnipeg's size. The ONLY thing I liked about it was the observation deck to watch other aircraft land and take off, but that wasn't for me to respect it any more. Would I have liked it to be turned into a museum or something? Sure, that would have been nice, but whatever. I have lost no tears over that fossil building, and continue to fall in love with the new one everytime I fly back to Winnipeg. One of the best projects the city has ever accomplished, and I look forward to future expansions of the terminal in the years to come.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Sorry, but I strongly disagree. I hated that faux-modernist 60s look, and I though it was the laughing stock of airports in this country for a city of Winnipeg's size. The ONLY thing I liked about it was the observation deck to watch other aircraft land and take off, but that wasn't for me to respect it any more. Would I have liked it to be turned into a museum or something? Sure, that would have been nice, but whatever. I have lost no tears over that fossil building, and continue to fall in love with the new one everytime I fly back to Winnipeg. One of the best projects the city has ever accomplished, and I look forward to future expansions of the terminal in the years to come.
Yeah, I guess I have no place criticizing the old airport since I'm not originally from Winnipeg, but Winnipeg just 'caught up' to the standards of every other city in Canada, nevermind around the world. I was just in Edmonton's newly renovated domestic departures area only a few days ago, and WOW. It was nicer than Calgary OR Vancouver OR even Toronto's domestic departures area! It was like an indoor mall. Obviously theres a lot of oil sands workers coming through with a wad of bills to spend...

Granted, Alberta has an obscene amount of money to spend (both the government and the people who work there; you can buy a $3000 bottle of scotch while you wait for your connection!). I think Winnipeg's new airport is a perfect fit for the city, offers a decent variety of services to travellers (I'm pulling for a full-service Tim Hortons for International Departures though -- the Kiosk sucks). Theres plenty of room for expansion whether it be onto the old terminal site, or to the east.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 6:10 PM

I didn't know they were building a office complex as part of the hotel.

http://www.dtzbarnicke.com/Client/JJ...e%20Centre.pdf

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 9:13 PM

^ oh that looks nice. I didn't realize either. I wonder... For the WAA?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 9:36 PM

the harveys at the airport is suppose to be opening up on saturday or sunday. another food joint for the airport!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 3:04 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Not sure if this list (or a similar one) was posted here, but The Telegraph has a photo gallery of 20 of the worlds most stylish airports, and YWG just made the list (albeit barely).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/pi...-airports.html

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 9:36 AM

Just have to say that the new Winnipeg terminal is FANTASTIC! It is a brilliant addition to the city.

I just have to ask though, is there any plans to beautify the exit highway from the airport?? Leaving the airport into Winnipeg isn't very nice. But other than that, it is great!!!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 7:28 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler19944 View Post
Just have to say that the new Winnipeg terminal is FANTASTIC! It is a brilliant addition to the city.

I just have to ask though, is there any plans to beautify the exit highway from the airport?? Leaving the airport into Winnipeg isn't very nice. But other than that, it is great!!!
That's one thing that I worry about too. As soon as you leave the airport, it's all kind of dull. You would think that at least planting some trees a bit would help, but it feels as if you just left Legoland, and went straight into a dark and shady back alley in downtown Detroit.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 7:50 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
That's one thing that I worry about too. As soon as you leave the airport, it's all kind of dull. You would think that at least planting some trees a bit would help, but it feels as if you just left Legoland, and went straight into a dark and shady back alley in downtown Detroit.
I like seeing all the different industries and businesses -- I'd like to see some better signage that would impress visitors with some of the great companies that we have in Winnipeg. One question that I get asked a lot about Winnipeg (in Toronto) is "What does anyone do there?" They really have no clue at all. Having said that, the route could be prettied up a bit, even though it is no more ugly than, say, the 401 or 427 coming from Pearson or the road into JFK or many other airport access roads that run through the industrial zones that tend to surround airports.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 9:31 PM

I do strongly dislike the placement of the Petro Can for aesthetics as the first thing you see as you're driving out...though I understand the practical implications of its location-wish it was a little more tucked away somewhere.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 5:54 AM

i was reading online something called "the chamber way" that part of route 90 between st mathews and ness. its on google if you type it in. that would be a start in sprucing things up as you leave the airport.

and i have also heard that delta is trying to get a second destination and that united is thinking of adding a third... and it was for either lax or sfo. then a little rumour of virgin atlantic wanting to try out and now that delta owns 49% of them who knows..... prob not.

and hopefully westjet encore brings back the regina and saskatoon flights. and air canada rouge can add something too in the future.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
i was reading online something called "the chamber way" that part of route 90 between st mathews and ness. its on google if you type it in. that would be a start in sprucing things up as you leave the airport.

and i have also heard that delta is trying to get a second destination and that united is thinking of adding a third... and it was for either lax or sfo. then a little rumour of virgin atlantic wanting to try out and now that delta owns 49% of them who knows..... prob not.

and hopefully westjet encore brings back the regina and saskatoon flights. and air canada rouge can add something too in the future.
Direct to sfo would be amazing.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 2:35 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Direct to sfo would be amazing.
San Francisco?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 3:25 PM

With LAX being a major international hub it would definitely make sense for United.

Detroit is a major hub for Delta and used to connect the east coast with Asia so that may make sense.

These routes would also offer each airline a connection to a hub on the opposite side of the USA from what they currently have.

As for Virgin Atlantic, I suspect they might be kicking the tires on the on again/off again seasonal direct route to the UK.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
San Francisco?
Yes, SFO is San Francisco

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
With LAX being a major international hub it would definitely make sense for United.

Detroit is a major hub for Delta and used to connect the east coast with Asia so that may make sense.

These routes would also offer each airline a connection to a hub on the opposite side of the USA from what they currently have.

As for Virgin Atlantic, I suspect they might be kicking the tires on the on again/off again seasonal direct route to the UK.
well United made those annoucements I heard the other day with Edmonton, Kelowna, Fort McMurray and Thunder Bay that they were getting new service with them so hopefully Winnipeg does get a dream come true... and LAX would be awesome considering how many films and celebrities come up to the city but SFO wouldn't hurt either if we got that instead.

I think Detroit would get a lot of people catching the Asian flights like you said and prob would like it better because they have more then what Minneapolis has but I have a friend of a friend that says they are going to try get an Atlanta flight at least once a day. Now they have the dual class aircraft twice a day to Minnie along with the two CRJ's they think they can do an ATL because they say easy like 10 people on every flight are either ending up or connecting in ATL... so fingers crossed!!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 5:36 AM
Heart of the Continent

Atlanta and LAX would be awesome.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 2:57 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

So would San Francisco. It would encourage a lot of people to visit as it is a great vacation destination. Napa Valley wine train here I come!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 4:22 PM

so my friend of a friend heard that United is actually going to be pushing for a Winnipeg - Newark flight instead of LAX or San Fran... hopefully these rumours just become true

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 12:41 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
so my friend of a friend heard that United is actually going to be pushing for a Winnipeg - Newark flight instead of LAX or San Fran... hopefully these rumours just become true
Hmmm, a direct flight to New Jersey/New York area. That would be cool.

Now, I'm not so sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan