HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 4:26 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I imagine Magellan, being wise beyond their years (though not really since the Low-end-burgs have been building here for literally generations), wants to keep the construction cycles of their towers as offset as possible to minimize cannibalization of their own project and risk. That's really what is impressive about this boom. The growth has been very consistent and people seem to calculate before just throwing another log on the fire. Things are getting frothy along Chicago Ave, but given the low land prices (some lots are selling for less than $200/SF) the developers probably have a good margin built into these projects.

Back to the point at hand, if I were Magellan I would want delivery of Gino's to follow about 6 months behind delivery of Hojo which means a fall start. I wouldn't want units at one tower competing while I'm still trying to lease up the other.

I agree with where you're coming from here, 100%. I'd personally seek to do the same thing as well. I'd had this in mind, though - which was quite specific:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...on-river-north

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 4:29 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Well the land sold to the developer, doesn't necessarily mean its a go. Need to secure funding and zoning first. This is one of the projects I'm most excited about right now to be honest. Congress expressway needs to be lined with towers just like the Kennedy. Then we can start working on lining the Dan Ryan with them.

All true.

Talk about a deal for the land, though......~$5 mil., for (potentially) a ~430 unit high-rise......that's gotta help lead - in a major way - to some very attractive economics here.....

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 4:33 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
That first story about 601 S. LaSalle St. is interesting too, to me at least. That building is a real peach but it basically disappears right now because it's sandwiched between a Metra overpass and that god awful parking garage at Clark/Harrison. With that parking garage hopefully turning into that Rocz[Polish name]ak building. With a less eyesorey neighbor, 601 might start to stand out. If some pedestrian life can get pumped along Harrison (likely once that River South stuff starts happening), that building will be in a prime spot. Apartments/condos seems obvious, but I'd like to see someone make a solid push for commercial. I don't think the South Loop will ever come alive until there's people there during the day.

Interesting that it was CA Ventures was holding on to the building, though. I wonder if they had their eyes on making student lofts out of it. Wouldn't be a tough sell, since there's already student lofts on the same block. I guess they couldn't make the numbers work.

Bruce Rauner's Chicago campaign office was in that building's storefront, btw. I used to see his giant face on the side of a bus turning down LaSalle all the time.

Roszak Printer's Row is absolutely one of my favorite downtown proposals right now.......just an absolute gem of a piece of infill.....I only hope it is still alive...........(I wonder just how far apart the garage owner and Roszak were on price??........let's make a deal, boys!!)......

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 4:56 PM

Ok I am beginning to lose track of all these projects. I had completely forgotten about the Harry Potter project.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 6:32 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Ok I am beginning to lose track of all these projects. I had completely forgotten about the Harry Potter project.
Yeah me too!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
I had completely forgotten about the Harry Potter project.
The Building Who Lived

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 7:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

here's a new highrise proposal for downtown evanston.:

Quote:
High rise planned for site on Emerson
By Bill Smith on August 29, 2015 - 12:00pm

Northfield-based Focus Development has submitted plans to construct a 14-story rental apartment building at 831 Emerson St. in Evanston.

The site now houses Lake City Cleaners and a 7-Eleven convenience store.

The planned development proposal calls for 297 apartment units and 136 parking spaces as well as some retail space.

- See more at: http://evanstonnow.com/story/real-es....r6LxBb4d.dpuf

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 7:34 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^That's awesome, thanks Steely - Focus Inc. is also the developer of that curvy, 29 story Booth Hansen-designed apt tower at 171 N. Halsted.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 8:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Maybe the design of the base makes it seem like more than it is. Also, I brought this up before but I couldn't find a source, but I'm fairly sure I heard about an arrangement in the land sale that said the building has to replace the parking spaces that the city used when it was their parking lot. That might only be 20 or so spaces though.
it looks like only 1/2 to 2/3's of the podium is actually parking. its not like 1101 s state where it runs the whole length of the building.

I do wonder why they couldnt buy out that little hardware shop between 1001 state and the loft building next door.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 11:17 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Well the land sold to the developer, doesn't necessarily mean its a go. Need to secure funding and zoning first. This is one of the projects I'm most excited about right now to be honest. Congress expressway needs to be lined with towers just like the Kennedy. Then we can start working on lining the Dan Ryan with them.
Yeah, I'm a big fan of Arquitectonica. Hopefully they can get this significant project in Chicago... would love to see more of their work here.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrule View Post
it looks like only 1/2 to 2/3's of the podium is actually parking. its not like 1101 s state where it runs the whole length of the building.

I do wonder why they couldnt buy out that little hardware shop between 1001 state and the loft building next door.
I think that's a popular nightclub.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 12:39 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrule View Post
The former dry cleaners/Hilti outlet wasn't part of the property the city was trying to get redeveloped, nor does Golub need it. They already have such a large site that they put the tower diagonally across it, with as many units as they wanted to could come out of the recession holding. Probably more units than some in the company wanted.

Weirdaaron, the nightclub Tantrum (not sure how popular) is in the old post office loft building on the corner.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 12:47 AM

Wow, I think I'd thought Hilti was a nightclub too. Some blocks around where I lived when I first moved here have gotten compressed together in my head.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 1:19 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Been there. Done that.

http://ced.berkeley.edu/bpj/wp-conte...right-size.jpg

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 2:22 AM

No silly....we only want towers of WEALTHY people.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 2:28 AM
TL;DR

To be fair, the height of the buildings was not one of the issues with Taylor and Stateway...

There are plenty of decent ways to build highrise housing, CHA just chose to build shitty housing with even worse management and tenant selection.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 2:58 AM

Also, I'm taking about the section of the Dan Ryan immediately South of Congress by university village and the big DS zoned district. Just as I am not suggesting high rises along 290 in Garfield park or along the Kennedy in Avondale.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 3:04 AM
Chicago

171 North Halsted

August 31, 2015

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 3:06 AM
TL;DR

^ Although I would love to see a small cluster of highrises at the Belmont Blue Line stop in place of that awful strip mall. Perfect TOD opportunity.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 3:15 AM
Chicago

200 North Michigan

August 31, 2015

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations