HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
It would appear there are more than two dishes on offer here...
Must be Jelly cuz jam don't shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiedawg View Post
Interesting to see new sports bars/restaurants choosing Saskatoon as first locations outside of Ontario to locate first.

Shoeless Joe's has been in Saskatoon for several years now but I don't believe there are any others outside of Ontario.
Shoeless Joe's is named after famed South Carolina Major League Baseball outfielder Joseph Jefferson Jackson back in 1910-1920 who once ran between the bases without shoes during a game.

http://www.shoelessjoes.ca/

Another sports bar/restaurant is opening it's first location outside of Ontario in Saskatoon.
Wendel Clark, who first played in junior hockey for the Saskatoon Blades, but also known as the last captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs to bring the team within one game in the series against the LA Kings & Gretzky, of sending the Leafs into the Stanley Cup Finals in 1993, is opening up a Wendel Clark's Classic Bar and Grill in the Saskatoon in 2019.

https://www.ckom.com/2018/09/19/wend...-to-saskatoon/

In Pop Culture Wendel is also famous for having the Canadian band The Rheostatics celebrate him with a song on their greatest hits album.
'Wendel was a man with a stick in his hands, who learned how to play in Kelvington 'S' 'A' 'S' 'K'

Video Link

^^ too cool, I'll have to try those sports restaurants out when I get back to Saskatoon next

so I'm Ecstatic !!!

I thought I'd have to give up my absolute favourite burger joint when I moved to London, but to my amazement I found a FatBurger in Camden!!

Fatburger is a chain of burger restaurants started over 70 years ago & Headquartered in Beverley Hills. They make the burgers made-to-order and are almost exclusively in Western North America,

https://www.fatburgercanada.com/

...I originally thought I was out of luck & I would have to settle for my other Saskatoon favourite, Five Guys burgers, & had started going to the Oxford Street location in SoHo.

Last edited by SaskScraper; Dec 7, 2018 at 11:17 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 11:18 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Interesting that Fatburger decided to push west, and over an ocean, rather than east. Fatburger is everywhere in East Asia these days; Shanghai, Beijing, Singapore, Manila, HK, Tokyo, Macau, Seoul etc. Basically, if you're a major East Asian city, there will be a Fatburger nearby.

As far as chain burgers restaurants go, Shake Shack is my favourite. It's a NYC institution that has also got in on the East Asia burger craze. I frequent the ones in Seoul, but you can also find them in Tokyo, HK and soon-to-be Shanghai.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 4:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We're biting the bullet. J and I are dining at Raymond's this evening. We'll do the seven course meal without wine pairing. Should be able to get out of there for about $200 each. One of the world's 50 best restaurants, should be great!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 11:46 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Wow. Just wow. I went with the wine pairing after - more than $300 just for me. Most expensive meal I've ever personally paid for (I've done a little fancy stuff with my parents as a teen).

So, Raymond's is right on Water Street in an old, well-preserved building from the early 1900s.

So the menu is simple, seasonal. You can choose a three, five, or seven-course meal. All of the dishes are foraged locally and some are rare - for example, quinces are not native to Newfoundland but there's a handful of trees from an early settler orchard still marooned in the woods outside the city so that's where they get them from. I couldn't possibly remember all the intricate details and all the ingredients, but the main portion of every course was...

1. Sea urchin

2. Scallop

3. Halibut

4. Cod

5. Moose.

6. Beef.

7. Pre-dessert, local sour plum sorbet.

Main dessert - partridgeberries and dark chocolate with coffee icecream.

And... I turned 37 yesterday. SO OLD.

Overall, 10/10. I didn't much care for the jelly with the sea urchin but everything else was perfect. The halibut was surprisingly good. It was still raw at the centre, and the sauce wasn't overpowering - there were some buttery bites, some fishy bites. It was just really nice.

The scallops and the moose were excellent. There was at least one thing in each serving that I could say was my favourite of the night, until I remembered the others.

If you end up in town, it's well worth the experience.

And the wines... the wines. Everything, even a port to finish. And the sommelier was amazing. Truly amazing. She was infectiously passionate without being at all intrusive or overly chatty. All the service was, to be honest. Whether you have two at your table or 8, every single glass and dish for every single person hits the table at the same time. New everything for each course. Blah blah blah, I'm sure this is all normal for fine restaurants everywhere but it's unusual for vulgar, casual St. John's.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 1:40 PM

^ You making me hungry. I'd love to do it someday, but I'll need slightly more disposable income. It's not an outrageous price for a meal of that calibre, but I've never spent more than 100 for food before.

It's nice that at least one restaurant will bring the food for the table all at once. It's really a standard for any good restaurant, along with quick service time. It's something that's lost on most restaurants here in the city, even the better ones.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 3:08 PM

Maybe others have mentioned this from Edmonton before but tried DOSC (Drunken Ox Sober Cat) yesterday, downtown YEG on 104st... what a great experience. If you ever get a chance, highly recommend it. A unique space and concept too!

I had a couple of cocktails, great interaction and recommendations from the servers. I was debating between a couple of scotches, chose one over the other, bartender later brought a 1/4oz sample of the one I didn't pick complementary.

Steak and 5 sides to share was just right, all done wonderfully... I'll definitely be back...

https://dosc.ca/

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 3:26 PM

Scotch at dinner? Were they serving haggis?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Scotch at dinner? Were they serving haggis?
haha no, although I've had it at The Bothy in Edmonton and it was better than expected!

scotch followed

Old Posted Dec 25, 2018, 1:54 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
^ You making me hungry. I'd love to do it someday, but I'll need slightly more disposable income. It's not an outrageous price for a meal of that calibre, but I've never spent more than 100 for food before.

It's nice that at least one restaurant will bring the food for the table all at once. It's really a standard for any good restaurant, along with quick service time. It's something that's lost on most restaurants here in the city, even the better ones.
It's worth it for the experience.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 4:58 PM
BANNED

I love the name of that Edmonton restaurant Drunken Ox Sober Cat I'll definitely have to try it out on one of my next weekend trips to Edmonton.

Saskatoon has some fun sounding restaurant names, like 'Burning Beard' 'Grazing Goat', 'Yard & Flagon, 'Rook and Raven', 'Feisty Goat bar and grill' etc

With La Bamba restaurant doing so well in Saskatoon,
the owners have opened another new restaurant downtown last month called Mexihco.

Quote:
The restaurateurs behind Saskatoon’s very popular Mexican restaurant La Bamba Cafe are back with a new space in downtown Saskatoon focusing on fast, authentic and fresh Mexican food.

“We were the first ones with La Bamba in doing real Mexican food in Western Canada,” co-owner Juan Godinez said. “We wanted to give the flavours of a traditional Mexican kitchen.”

https://thestarphoenix.com/business/...s-to-saskatoon

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 6:56 AM
BANNED

Winter always feels like perfect time for Hot Pot.

Little Sheep Mongolian Hot Pot has been in Saskatoon for quite some time and I've previously been to Izumi, the Japanese Hot Pot broth & dipping sauce style and Szechuan Chinese style at Rock Sugar,which also has traditional KTV individual karaoke rooms along with bubble tea, but this is the first i've tried Hot Pot from this company from Baotou, Inner Mongolia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Sheep_Group

Cooking all the ingredients brought to the table in full or split pots adds some challenges, knowing exactly how long to cook the different meats, veggies, mushrooms, noodles etc. but the meat is cut thin and the dumplings cook rather quick so don't have to wait long. We could only do two rounds of hot pot, definitely have a big appetite if going for it.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restauran...katchewan.html

One of my favourite Dim Sum restaurants in Saskatoon is Yip Hong's, It use to be located on 8th street but has since relocated to it's new location in Stonebridge. On weekends we usually make sure to get a table before 11am before the queue gets too long to wait.

https://www.yiphongssaskatoon.com/

But my newest favourite Chinese restaurant in the city is Su Nan's Garden located in Rosewood. It's only been open maybe a couple months but the food and service is excellent & polished. The four of us had spring rolls, roast duck, lemon chicken, salt & pepper beef, roasted peppers in oil, assorted veggies on rice and chow mein etc and all for less than $20 each. So glad to have found this new gem in Saskatoon.

https://www.google.ca/maps/uv?hl=en&...oiowDnoECAYQBg

Last edited by Prairiedawg; Jan 17, 2019 at 7:50 AM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 2:07 PM

Just catching up with this thread... Raymond's in St. John's looks amazing. Gorgeous dining room and beautiful food.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 10:54 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The Burger Battle is on right now, so all the restaurants are trying to out-do each other with a special burger.

A few years ago the Screech burger at Magnum & Stein's became (and still is) my favourite beef burger ever - beets, screech sauce, touton bun - it was just phenomenal.

So we went back to Magnum & Stein's for this year's entry - jerk chicken and jalapeno mac and cheese burger. It was fantastic again.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 12:58 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We went to the St. John's Fish Exchange today. It's not a favourite, but it is somewhere about Boston Pizza/Keg quality so if you visit there's no reason to be afraid of it. It's comfort food that's very familiar everywhere, with a slight emphasis on seafood, obviously.

The view is amazing, even if it is at the shitty, modern end of the core - it's right in 351.

One nice thing is there are two temporary menus - one seasonal, one daily - in addition to the regular menu.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 5:32 PM
Registered Drug User

A couple of interesting places I've seen lately but haven't tried. I wonder what these guys have against pho? What happens if you ask for it? Do they tell you to fu lok off next door?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.13147...7i13312!8i6656

This one is in Waterloo's Chinese exchange student ghetto. I wonder if the turd they serve was inspired by Taiwan's toilet restaurant craze? https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restauran...ua_Taipei.html

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.47387...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 6:57 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Big Boy Baos food truck is delicious.

This is what I ordered:

And here is the deliciousness I got:

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 7:26 AM
Winnipeg

Exchange District’s Peasant Cookery has been my favourite.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 1:21 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Villa Guerrero is easily one of my favourite restaurants in Seoul, and the best tacos I've had anywhere in East Asia. I can't even think of a close second.

This small taco shop in Gangnam is as close as you're going to get to Mexican tacos without being in Tijuana. The owner routinely goes to Mexico for months out of the year to keep his recipes fresh and authentic.

Every taco is pork (shoulder, tongue, intestines etc.), and they are glorious. The tortillas, meat and mole are made daily.

villa guerrero 1 by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

villa guerrero 2 by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

Pork tongue

villa guerrero 3 by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

Pork shoulder

villa guerrero 4 by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 4:19 AM
sick transit, gloria

^That looks incredible!

We went to La Petite Maison in Melville, Joburg for the 5 course menu with wine pairing the other night. May have been the best meal I've had in the country - on par with Chef's Warehouse in Cape Town. Didn't end up taking any pictures but the Quail was to die for.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 1:14 PM

I love the Queen and Beaver Public House.

I personally recommend the fish and chips as well as the burger.

There’s also the Merit Brewpub in Hamilton which easily has the best mac and cheese in Ontario.

The Philly cheesesteak sausage is also really delicious but I couldn’t find a good pic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada