HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
Some of my observations:
- Will the traffic lights be reprogrammed on Laurier street? They do this in Copenhagen, so that someone biking around 20km/hr manages to bike through all the intersections without having to stop at each one.
They've done nothing about this on Lyon, it's impossible to even get through two blocks in a row without stopping for a red. (Bay just gives cyclists the joy of stop signs every couple of blocks)

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 4:03 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
The draft report and block designs for the laurier lane have been posted on the city`s website
http://ottawa.ca/residents/public_co.../index_en.html
Here is what I think is the most important paragraph in the entire report:

http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/publi...tion7_8_en.pdf
8.1.2 Traffic

Intersection Operations
To increase the visibility of cyclists to turning vehicle traffic, an advanced cycling and pedestrian interval has been added to the east and west directions providing cyclists with an advanced green signal prior to the general vehicle traffic. Cyclists will be signalled by a designated cyclist traffic signal.

On the other hand, it does not appear that car drivers are going to get a designated right turn signal (with cyclists getting a red signal). This means that a turning conflict will exist with the possibility of sideswiping.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 5:17 PM

I'm not sure if anyone who reads this forum went to last night's open house for the separated bike lanes along Laurier but I went and have to say that overall I support the project, even though it's the bare minimum for what they should be doing for this pilot project. I'm excited that they're going to install counters along the route so people will know how many bikes have passed that day. The high point of the evening was when a woman wearing a fur coat spoke at the microphone complaining about the loss of parking for visitors to her luxury condo. In reply, someone from the audience shouted "sell your car, buy a bike, and now your visitors can park in your spot." The woman was not amused.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
I'm not sure if anyone who reads this forum went to last night's open house for the separated bike lanes along Laurier but I went and have to say that overall I support the project, even though it's the bare minimum for what they should be doing for this pilot project. I'm excited that they're going to install counters along the route so people will know how many bikes have passed that day. The high point of the evening was when a woman wearing a fur coat spoke at the microphone complaining about the loss of parking for visitors to her luxury condo. In reply, someone from the audience shouted "sell your car, buy a bike, and now your visitors can park in your spot." The woman was not amused.
My concern is it will not be used and people will bike on the road not useing the lane thats for them.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 6:36 PM

Why do you think that will happen?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 9:47 PM

Quote:

Instead, they referred those parts of the proposal to staff for more study, especially awaiting the results of an initial, segregated bike lane pilot project proposed for next summer, which is already contentious with downtown businesses.

“It’s putting the cart before the horse,” Lori Mellor, executive director of the Preston Street Business Improvement Association, said of the proposal for a network of downtown bike lanes . “The pilot project should have the mandate to prove the demand, 12 months a year, for these facilities. If we can prove there are people coming on these lanes, it’s going to be a much easier sell.”

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen
Quotes like this one from the Preston Street BIA, make me worry about the future of cycling infrastructure. It's not just the usual problem of the BIA being unable to see beyond the car. It's the "12 months of a year" statement - the idea that if the lanes are underused in winter, it's not worth putting them in. It's a frequent refrain from cycling-skeptics - that Canada can't emulate Copenhagen or Amsterdam because we have heavy snow for 4 months of the year.
There's a tiny grain of truth to this premise. Many cyclists do put away their bikes in November and take them out again in April. I count myself amongst them. How do we stop this reality from undermining permanent lanes? How do we stop the skeptics putting unrealistic success criteria on the pilot lanes?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 11:44 PM

I'm optimistic. I think that if people see that there is a safe space to cycle year round, they will use it.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Why do you think that will happen?
I live by a long bike trail does the same route as the highway yet very few use the path.I have asked some there reason is they feel its there right to be on the road.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 12:26 AM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
I live by a long bike trail does the same route as the highway yet very few use the path.I have asked some there reason is they feel its there right to be on the road.
And in these lanes they will be on the road, separated by a short barrier of protruding curb. I can't think of any cyclist in their right mind that would rather cycle on the car side rather than this segregated lane. Cyclists DO have a right to be on the road, but here using the segregated lane is their way of exercising that right. It is not at all analogous to a situation where they are being asked to take a different (often slower and less direct) route on multi-use pathways because drivers don't want to encounter them.

Last edited by Ottawan; Nov 27, 2010 at 2:44 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 4:34 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
The high point of the evening was when a woman wearing a fur coat spoke at the microphone complaining about the loss of parking for visitors to her luxury condo. In reply, someone from the audience shouted "sell your car, buy a bike, and now your visitors can park in your spot." The woman was not amused.
I thought the other condo dweller woman who went on about never giving up her car and said that Laurier avenue wasn't good for bikes because it is too lifeless ("I don't even walk there") was far more more amusing to me. She illustrated one big problem with downtown Ottawa: many people that moved there years ago did not really have real urban living in their minds — they picture having a surburban existence (driving for groceries, etc) but in a central location. It explains why restaurants and shops haven't done well downtown after hours.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I thought the other condo dweller woman who went on about never giving up her car and said that Laurier avenue wasn't good for bikes because it is too lifeless ("I don't even walk there") was far more more amusing to me. She illustrated one big problem with downtown Ottawa: many people that moved there years ago did not really have real urban living in their minds — they picture having a surburban existence (driving for groceries, etc) but in a central location. It explains why restaurants and shops haven't done well downtown after hours.
This is downtown Ottawa's problem in a nutshell. I wondered in another thread where these people do their grocery shopping. Your observation is accurate. They get in their cars to buy their day to day necessities.

Now the BIA is making the same noises that scared council away from Somerset.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/stor...-land-116.html

Frankly, I thought Somerset was a better idea, for this very reason, that it does have some street life.

It makes me wonder whether we shouldn't choose Sparks as our first segregated path. Car dependent business won't be convinced until its shown to work. On Sparks, we could bypass this objection rather than banging our head against it.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 8:12 PM

What are the plans for this bike lane in the winter? Will the bike lanes be maintained during the winter months, or will they be removed for the winter?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 8:53 PM

Do we want to encourage bicycle use during winter? This is rather questionable in this climate. I have seen cyclists out in bad weather and wonder whether they are menaces on the road in those conditions.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 9:22 PM
Busy Beaver

This segregated bike lane is supposed to be maintained through next winter if it gets built this spring. There will be a maximum of 2 years for this pilot project, if it is not successful it gets dismantled.

I biked all last winter, and with studded tires even the icy days were not too bad. Segregated ( or "buffered"/"protected" as some people prefer) bike lanes should make it much safer. In bad weather, even cars are a menace to each other, but in 90% of the winter days, especially if road clearing is done properly, there really is no issue with cycling.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbria27 View Post
This is downtown Ottawa's problem in a nutshell. I wondered in another thread where these people do their grocery shopping. Your observation is accurate. They get in their cars to buy their day to day necessities.
There's a chicken and egg issue here: centretown stores keep dentists' hours, so unless you need something at a Shoppers or want to pay a large markup at Hartman's then there aren't a whole lot of necessities actually available for residents.

On an unrelated point, I wonder why Gloucester wasn't considered for this pilot project - it has lights all the way across and the street is wide enough to add the bike section without removing lanes and freaking everyone out.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 10:26 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
On an unrelated point, I wonder why Gloucester wasn't considered for this pilot project - it has lights all the way across and the street is wide enough to add the bike section without removing lanes and freaking everyone out.
Practically all the east-west streets were considered, and narrowed down until the final choice turned out to be Laurier. The bike lanes across Laurier bridge played a big role. Somerset had good connections, but overall Laurier is relatively flat for its entire length. The big downside of the choice is the westward connection, which could be mitigated if the facility becomes permanent.

It is also important that the pilot project be on a prominent, visible street, and potentially demonstrate how buffered bike lanes can be transformative and increase pedestrian appeal. Two years is too short to expect Laurier to sprout sidewalk cafes and more retail, but maybe it will encourage some street vendors to start the trend.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 1:19 AM

Article on the Hunt Club - South Keys pedestrian bridge:

http://www.yourottawaregion.com/news...irport-parkway

Image:

There don't seem to be any images or display boards on ottawa.ca yet, but this looks like it's going to be pretty cool...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 9:06 PM
National Capital Region

Laurier segregated bike lane staff report
http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cit...ike%20Lane.htm

Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 9:00 PM
National Capital Region

now onto council...

1. EAST-WEST SEGREGATED BIKE LANE PILOT PROJECT
PROJET PILOTE DE VOIE CYCLABLE SÉPARÉE EST-OUEST AU CENTRE-VILLE
ACS2011-ICS-PGM-0031 SOMERSET (14)

That, subject to funding approval in the 2011 Budget, Transportation Committee recommend that Council:

1. Approve the implementation of an East-West Segregated Bike Lane Pilot Project on Laurier Avenue West as described in this report and shown in Documents 1 and 2;

2. Direct staff to amend the Traffic and Parking Bylaw in conjunction with the implementation of the proposed changes to the stopping, parking and loading areas within the study area;

3. Direct staff to undertake performance monitoring as part of the pilot project, including a Traffic Impact Assessment Report, and to report these findings back to Transportation Committee within 24 months after the pilot has been implemented;

4. Direct staff to pursue a multi-use pathway for public use through the development application process at 422 Slater Street as indicated in the City of Ottawa Escarpment District Plan and shown in Document 1; and

5. Delegate authority to the Manager, Roads and Traffic Operations and Maintenance of the Public Works Department to allow the closure of the bike lanes if conditions are unsafe (i.e. black ice).

6. Whereas some business and hotels have raised concerns with respect to the roadway design and access to their businesses;

Therefore Be It Resolved that City of Ottawa staff consult with businesses as required during the detailed design phase of the SBL project with a goal to resolve individual concerns related to the roadway design and access to commercial buildings.

CARRIED, as amended

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 8:51 PM

Council approves Laurier bike lane from Bronson to Elgin
Wednesday, February 23, 2011
By Joanne Chianello, Ottawa Citizen
The Ottawa Citizen
OTTAWA — City council Wednesday approved a pilot project to install segregated bike lanes along both sides of Laurier Avenue from Elgin Street to Bronson Avenue.

The two-year pilot is expected to cost $1.3 million and could be ready to use by the end of this summer.

Council has been discussing the possibility of the segregated lanes that would, in theory, make it easier for most cyclists to cross the downtown core from east to west. Wednesday’s council decision makes Ottawa the first large municipality in Ontario to try out the segregated lanes that will separate cyclists from the rest of traffic with physical barriers.

But not everyone is in favour of the lanes. Councillors Stephen Blais and Allan Hubley dissented from the decision. And many residents and business owners with property along Laurier Avenue have been speaking out against the lanes.

Residents who live in condominiums on Laurier Avenue West, between Bay Street and Bronson Avenue, are very upset because the bike lanes will be displacing on-street parking on Laurier. The condo owners worry that elderly guests or caregivers who have to carry heavy equipment will have trouble finding parking and will have too far to walk if they do.

Several hotel managers had also argued that segregated bike lanes would create traffic problems and make it difficult for their guests to get in and out of their underground parking garages.

But Mayor Jim Watson said Wednesday that the city would never be able to find the “perfect” street for segregated bike lanes that wouldn’t inconvenience someone and he urged his council colleagues to support the plan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation