HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:05 AM

I'm wondering if the north shore project being announced drug this one out into the open. Seems like a lot of new office space competition coming online and no real announcements of landing tenants yet (oxford, stabile, SSW, burns & scalo, etc).

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
4-building SouthSide Works project unveiled
Not a bad Post #10000!

I assume all these office developers must be aware of potential tenants periodically looking around the market. It does seem like a lot, but on the other hand, it is not a bad thing if there are more and more truly walkable neighborhoods with a healthy mix of employers, residences, and amenities.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 12:57 PM
Eurosceptic

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/6...arking-conturo

Quote:
Pittsburgh to study adding parking garages on North Shore

By Aaron Aupperlee
Thursday, Oct. 9, 2014, 5:27 p.m.
Updated 8 hours ago

Pittsburgh's Stadium Authority will pay Walker Parking Consultants nearly $69,000 to study adding parking spots on the North Shore.

The authority must replace at least 541 parking spots lost to development projects between Heinz Field and PNC Park, according to an agreement with the Steelers and Pirates.

Mary Conturo, executive director of the authority, which manages development between the stadiums, said the parking firm will study how many spaces to add and where to build the garage or garages. She said the authority would likely add more than 541 spaces and could explore building two garages.

“We want to study what is the right size,” Conturo said. “We want to look at the big picture.”

The Pirates and Steelers submitted preliminary parking studies to the authority projecting their needs, Conturo. She declined to share the teams' findings.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 1:28 PM
BANNED

Ah, a new office building on my left...

Am I cruising down the Monongahela in Pittsburgh or am I driving down I-270 in suburban DC?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 1:32 PM
BANNED

Does Pittsburgh just really have something majorly against building a waterfront residential tower?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
Does Pittsburgh just really have something majorly against building a waterfront residential tower?
I don't think "Pittsburgh" has much say in this issue like most of the things that you carpet the entire city with blame for. Soffer owns the site so they get to decide who builds what on their parcels in the SSW.

I would have preferred residential myself but there are already several large projects in the pipeline for SSW, so its not like there isn't going to be any residential there.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 3:03 PM
Eurosceptic

There's also some other new-build residential projects in the works in the vicinity of SSW... such as Oxford's Hot Metal Flats and a project by Ralph Falbo.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
There's also some other new-build residential projects in the works in the vicinity of SSW... such as Oxford's Hot Metal Flats and a project by Ralph Falbo.
Falbo's is the one on South Water Street between the Springhill Suites and the UPMC complex, I believe.

Ultimately I am more or less indifferent between possible uses on the riverfronts, as long as the buildings are acceptable in scale for the location--in fact lots of people spend more time sitting in an office than they do awake at home.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 3:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz Khalifa View Post
I don't think "Pittsburgh" has much say in this issue like most of the things that you carpet the entire city with blame for. Soffer owns the site so they get to decide who builds what on their parcels in the SSW.

I would have preferred residential myself but there are already several large projects in the pipeline for SSW, so its not like there isn't going to be any residential there.
Well then here, let me carpet your brain with some basic facts: Wrong. Soffer does not own the land. It is city property.

Don't be a poop. By "Pittsburgh", I'm not blaming the entire city... not even you and your little yinzer grandma.

And I was specifically talking about "waterfront" residential.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 4:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Falbo's is the one on South Water Street between the Springhill Suites and the UPMC complex, I believe.

Ultimately I am more or less indifferent between possible uses on the riverfronts, as long as the buildings are acceptable in scale for the location--in fact lots of people spend more time sitting in an office than they do awake at home.
I would just much rather see (and it would ostensibly make more sense based on the size and configuration of the tract) a residential "tower" with ground floor restaurant/bar/patio on the site than an office building with the same. Put the office building where the residential developments are going and bring a quality residential project to the still vastly-underutilized Pittsburgh riverfronts.

You shouldn't have indifference about this -- at least not if you are interested in modern best practices in urban waterfront design. People sitting inside a closed-off office building does very little for the exterior atmosphere compared to the residential alternative (no matter how long people may be sitting inside at their desks -- and the vast majority will certainly not be sitting inside that office building on the weekends, nor at night). This is a

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
I would just much rather see (and it would ostensibly make more sense based on the size and configuration of the tract) a residential "tower" with ground floor restaurant/bar/patio on the site than an office building with the same. . . . People sitting inside a closed-off office building does very little for the exterior atmosphere compared to the residential alternative
Isn't that just a function of what you do at ground floor? I've never noticed the upper floors of residential towers doing anything for the surrounding atmosphere (in fact I have spent a lot of time looking at residential towers wondering, "Doesn't anyone ever use those balconies?").

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:33 PM

Courtesy of Adam Shuck, great "The Digs" (PG archives) article and photos on the George Westinghouse Bridge:

http://pgdigs.tumblr.com/post/996124...ge-pittsburghs

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 6:21 PM
JasonInPGH

Some good preservation news:
I recently spoke with ELDI (East Liberty Development Incorporated) about the status of Saint Peter's and Paul's Church in East Liberty (http://goo.gl/maps/QeRI8) and ELDI is coming close to closing on the property, and is hoping to begin planning for restoration shortly.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPittsburgh View Post
I recently spoke with ELDI (East Liberty Development Incorporated) about the status of Saint Peter's and Paul's Church in East Liberty (http://goo.gl/maps/QeRI8) and ELDI is coming close to closing on the property, and is hoping to begin planning for restoration shortly.
Looks good. I presume they're also going to save the other two buildings on the church grounds?

Also in that area, I heard relatively recently that the weird little "Omega Place" sub neighborhood which survived urban renewal is getting knocked down. ELDI has bought out all but one of the rowhouses now, and plans to offer the land for a "phase 3" of the Fairfield Apartments (probably in concert with the URA, since they also own some vacant parcels around here).

I'm torn on this redevelopment. On one hand, I do think the greater good of the development - which will result in residences again the whole length down Larimer Avenue - is worth it. Not to mention Omega Place doesn't fit the modern road pattern for the area. On the other hand, the old rowhouses are actually nice, and much more urban in style than the Fairfield Apartments themselves.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 6:41 PM

Quote:
I recently spoke with ELDI (East Liberty Development Incorporated) about the status of Saint Peter's and Paul's Church in East Liberty and ELDI is coming close to closing on the property, and is hoping to begin planning for restoration shortly.
Fantastic! It is such a cool structure, and with the Larimer Plan in full swing it is only a matter of time before it could become a real asset. It just needed someone to bridge that remaining gap, and ELDI is a great entity to do that.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Also in that area, I heard relatively recently that the weird little "Omega Place" sub neighborhood which survived urban renewal is getting knocked down. ELDI has bought out all but one of the rowhouses now, and plans to offer the land for a "phase 3" of the Fairfield Apartments (probably in concert with the URA, since they also own some vacant parcels around here).
Bummer. In my area they saved a few historic rowhouses as part of the Peebles Square redevelopment project, and they are far and away the coolest part of that project:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4458...m5kglE3KTw!2e0

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 7:55 PM
More Varieties to Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
The suburban Yinzers and Johnstownians will love it though, especially when they can listen to Toby Keith music at his bar.
Watch the Johnstown comments...not all of us are crazy about a red solo cup drinking jagoff (sorry, little bit of yinzer there)

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 9:13 PM
JasonInPGH

I'm trying to compile a "comprehensive" map of all of the city of Pittsburgh development projects, does anyone have any things to add to the existing map? (Map here: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...w.k68uIzHJHFn8)

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 9:17 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Wow that is incredible news, I thought that building was doomed. Ive been inside many times, the entire inside has massive fire and smoke damage and the floor is caved in in many areas. Hopefully they can also restore that school behind the church too.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 10:10 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Looks good. I presume they're also going to save the other two buildings on the church grounds?

I'm torn on this redevelopment. On one hand, I do think the greater good of the development - which will result in residences again the whole length down Larimer Avenue - is worth it. Not to mention Omega Place doesn't fit the modern road pattern for the area. On the other hand, the old rowhouses are actually nice, and much more urban in style than the Fairfield Apartments themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Fantastic! It is such a cool structure, and with the Larimer Plan in full swing it is only a matter of time before it could become a real asset. It just needed someone to bridge that remaining gap, and ELDI is a great entity to do that.

Nice!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations