HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Are you planning to attend 2010 events?
Yes 108 62.07%
No 66 37.93%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 6:49 AM

So wait...they want to do interviews, background checks, and retinal scans in order to maybe allow you to volunteer? All so I can be a 24-hour on call janitor or toilet cleaner or perhaps stand out in the rain the whole day?

No thanks...maybe if it was drop in, I would consider it. However, to treat it like a real job is an insult to someone donating their spare time away from work.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 7:46 AM

well u gotta understand this isn't the same as volunteering at the local charity. there's immense security going into these games and everyone who will be involved (guests, tourists, volunteers, workers) will all be under intense scrutiny. i think it's a good idea for them to be extra careful when it comes to volunteers.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 7:56 AM
Vancouver Moderator

And many of the volunteers will have access to popular olympic events, such as the opening and closing ceremonies. Vancouver can't afford something to go wrong.

Thus, the numerous security checks are justifiable.

Anyway at SSC, in celebration of the two-year mark for 2010 (it's up now!!!!!!), Mr. X has submitted this banner made by me. The photo is provided by Thom Quine.

btw Whistler doesn't have an olympic clock right? They should have one.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 8:05 AM

The banner will be up the entire day today at Skyscrapercity (it's already up):

TWO YEARS TO GO! *as long as we get better weather*

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
The people complaining and those making the decisions for the group are not necessarily the same people. There is no one native voice or way of thinking. Nevertheless, it's THEIR land. They can do whatever the hell they want with it. What right do the people who have bulldozed the rest of the city and continent already have to bitch about it? None. Don't patronize these people with your "we know better" bullshit because it's quite obvious that we don't. There's quite enough proof in the world of that.
They lost their land like many other cultures and civilizations did before them. They are fortunate that they lost their land at a time when western civilization was going through some big changes and actually went against thousands of years of precedents set by all of humanity and said that the land was taken unfairly. The fact that they can live a life and enjoy all the advancements of humanity cant be overlooked, after all there is one continent full of nomadic people that wasn't permanently settled(except part of its souther hemisphere) and im sure the people of that continent would switch positions with north American aboriginals in a heart beat. Theres proof of us not knowing better, ok, being the most advanced species on this planet i will have to disagree with that, sure nothings perfect but until we wipe each other out completely and a more advanced species comes along then most certainly we know best on our little planet. In anycase our country is based on equality, this is not equality, no matter what you say I dont agree that some descendant of a nomadic people with no real concept of property has some type entitlement to our nations land. Thats my opinion and im sticking to it until someone can put forth a decent and logical argument that backs up the oposit view.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 4:38 AM

Bell celebrates culture through partnership with Vancouver 2010 Cultural Olympiad - New emblem unveiled at Countdown Concert

February 12, 2008

Vancouver, BC — Bell and the Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC) tonight launched the telecommunications company’s role as presenting partner of the Vancouver 2010 Cultural Olympiad. A new Cultural Olympiad emblem recognizing this partnership was unveiled during a sold-out, star-studded concert at Vancouver’s Orpheum Theatre, the culmination of a day-long celebration of the two-year countdown to the 2010 Winter Games.

Hosted by CTV’s Ben Mulroney, the Countdown Concert featured stellar Canadian talent. 2008 Grammy and Juno nominee Feist headlined the concert, performing five world premier orchestral arrangements of her songs with the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra. The concert also included some of Canada’s top indie singer-songwriters: Ron Sexsmith; Jorane; Leela Gilday (2007 Juno Award winner for Aboriginal album of the year); and Suzie McNeil, whose hit song Believe was embraced by Bell as a fundraising initiative for sport.

“Bell has a long history of bringing sport and culture together to strengthen our country and celebrate our best,” said VANOC Chief Executive Officer John Furlong. “We are thrilled to partner with Bell to showcase Canada’s rich cultural heritage and vibrant arts community across the country and around the world.”

“Bell aims to connect every Canadian to the Olympic and Paralympic experience,” said Loring Phinney, Vice President, Corporate and Olympic Marketing for Bell. “We are proud to know that our support of the Cultural Olympiad will help make it possible for even more Canadians to experience the 2010 Winter Games through the delivery of unique and compelling cultural content.”

Bell has long been committed to fostering opportunities for both culture and sport. In 2007, Bell launched a unique initiative to raise money for Canada’s winter athletes. The company teamed with rising Canadian rock star Suzie McNeil and composer/arranger Dave Pierce to record the Olympic-and Paralympic-inspired song and video Believe. Recorded in Ottawa with the National Arts Centre Orchestra, the audio track is available for download to client music libraries and enabled Bell Mobility phones at bell.ca/believe, where visitors can also view the music video.

All proceeds from downloads will be donated by Bell to Own the Podium 2010, a sport technical program designed to help Canadian athletes compete with the best in the world.

One of the 2010 Winter Games signature events, Vancouver 2010 Cultural Olympiad will showcase some of the finest in Canadian and international arts and culture through a series of three festivals between now and 2010. Cultural Olympiad 2008 launches this multi-year celebration, with more than 300 free and ticketed events taking place between February 1 to March 21 throughout Metro Vancouver and the Sea-to-Sky corridor. This is the first time a Winter Games has hosted a Cultural Olympiad two years before Games time. The entire program can be viewed at www.vancouver2010.com.

The Emblem of the 2010 Cultural Olympiad

Bell’s new partnership with VANOC is represented in the Cultural Olympiad emblem, unveiled to an enthusiastic audience at the Countdown Concert. The new multicoloured emblem, highlighted by pink and purple hues, represents the cultural and creative diversity of Canada. Entitled Expanding the Circle , its shape originates from the stones within the Vancouver 2010 Olympic emblem Ilanaaq, immediately connecting it to Vancouver 2010. Positioned on an angle, the shape also speaks to the way in which the arts can provide new perspectives to audiences. The central arcs burst out of the emblem’s primary shape with energy and motion in the way that arts and culture break new ground and explore new directions.

About Bell

Bell’s partnership with VANOC began in October 2004, when it was selected as a Premier National Partner and exclusive Telecommunications Partner to the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. Bell will supply the critical communications services required to stage the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver and Whistler, including a comprehensive telecommunications solution, broadcast support, and Internet and portal services.

Bell is Canada's largest communications company, providing consumers with solutions to all their communications needs, including telephone services, wireless communications, high-speed Internet, digital television and voice over IP. Bell also offers integrated information and communications technology (ICT) services to businesses and governments, and is the Virtual Chief Information Officer (VCIO) to small and medium businesses (SMBs). Bell is wholly owned by BCE Inc. For information on Bell's products and services, please visit http://www.bell.ca/. For corporate information on BCE, please visit http://www.bce.ca/.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 4:41 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

For anyone that is interested there is a Beijing 2008 exhibit in Sinclair Centre. Had the chance to check it out while I hit the food court for lunch.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 8:47 AM

Volunteer applications flood 2010 website

VANCOUVER - The website for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games was swamped with hundreds of thousands of hits Tuesday after Olympic organizers began accepting applications for volunteers.

Within hours of going live first thing Tuesday, the organizing committee had received more than 1,500 applications from more than a dozen countries and every province and territory in Canada.

But by mid-afternoon, the committee was reeling from all the attention, with more than 700,000 separate page views of its website at vancouver2010.com.

That's nearly double the number of page views the site had received to date on its heaviest traffic days, CEO John Furlong said. More than 4,000 people living in 24 countries had filed applications by mid-afternoon, and the rate showed no sign of slowing down.

However, the website withstood the traffic load.

The organizing committee welcomed the attention, saying it's a good start to its search for at least 25,000 qualified volunteers.

Donna Wilson, executive vice-president of workforce and sustainability, had originally estimated she would need upwards of 40,000 applications in order to find enough qualified volunteers. But Furlong said he now believes as many as 100,000 applications will be received over the next six weeks.

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...3a9730&k=19279

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 9:10 AM

The final count for the first day was 10,000 volunteer applicants. I haven't submitted mine, though it's partially completed.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 11:28 AM

i saw a commercial for volunteers on much more music tonight

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 4:46 AM

Canadians conquer Asian events

Gary Kingston, Vancouver Sun; With files from Sun news services
Published: Saturday, February 16, 2008

It was an Asian invasion by Canadian winter sport athletes on Friday.

Maelle Ricker of North Vancouver won a women's World Cup snowboard cross event in Sungwoo, South Korea, while Tessa Virtue of London, Ont., and Scott Moir of Iderton, Ont., posted a personal best score to win the gold medal in ice dancing at the Four Continents Championships at Goyang City, South Korea.

Meanwhile at Inawashiro, Japan, Sarah Burke of Midland, Ont., and Matthew Hayward of Red Deer, Alta., won the women's and men's halfpipe, respectively, at a World Cup freestyle event.

Ricker, 29, was the second-fastest qualifier, then won her quarter-final and semifinal heats from the front before holding off a hard-charging Lindsey Jacobellis of the U.S., the reigning world champion, and Mellie Francon of Switzerland in the final.

"I felt her right on my back," Ricker said of Jacobellis, "so I drifted left, closing the door so she couldn't pass me. I had very good starts today, which allowed me to ride my line and to stay out of the traffic. That was the key to the race today."

With the win, Ricker took over top spot in the World Cup SBX standings with four races remaining. She has 3,250 points, Jacobellis 3,200 and Francon 3,060.

Pierre Vaultier of France won the men's event ahead of Nate Holland of the U.S. and Mateusz Ligocki of Poland. Rob Fagan of Cranbrook was the top Canadian in 10th, while reigning World Cup champion Drew Neilson of North Vancouver had a tough day, finishing 31st.

At Goyang City, Virtue and Moir led the field from the start and totalled 207.32 points over the compulsory, original and free dances. Meryl Davis and Charlie White of the U.S. were second with 199.45 points.

"We weren't really focused on the marks, but it is always nice to break the 100-point barrier in the free dance and 200 overall," Moir said in a news release. "But we left a couple of points on the table which we hope to improve on before worlds.

"In the free dance today, our last lift was a little off and those are points you don't want to give away when you compete against the best in the world."

In the men's singles, Daisuke Takahashi of Japan landed two quadruple jumps and won big with 264.41 points. Jeff Buttle of Smooth Rock Falls, Ont., was second, breaking his own Canadian record with 234.02 points.

"It was definitely an improvement over Canadians," said Buttle, who had a poor free skate in Vancouver last month to finish second. "I regained some confidence that I may have lost."

In Japan, Burke, the 2005 world champion, won by a convincing three points despite nursing a sore knee that nearly caused her to spill on a new alley-oop trick in the final.

Hayward edged Kalle Leinonen of Finland, with Mike Riddle of Sherwood Park, Alta., third and Justin Dorey of Vernon fourth.

Skier halfpipe is not an Olympic discipline, although the skiers are lobbying to have it included in 2014.

- Anna Goodman of Pointe Claire, Que., continues to improve on the World Cup slalom circuit, finishing a career-best 19th Friday in a race in Zagreb, Croatia.

Goodman's two-run combined time was one minute, 57.39 seconds. Tanja Poutianen of Finland won the event in 1:52.83, with Marlies Schild of Austria second in 1:53.35 and Veronika Zuzulova of Slovakia third in 1:53.51.

Goodman, 22, posted the first top-30 results of her career earlier this season by finishing 29th and 24th.

"I let the skis run today and had two runs that I'm pleased with although I still know I can do better," said Goodman.

gkingston@png.canwest.com

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 1:42 AM

2010 TV executives meeting in Vancouver
By BOB MACKIN, 24 HOURS

Broadcasters of the world - at least those that bought 2010 Winter Olympics rights - are united in Vancouver this week.

International Olympic Committee-owned Olympic Broadcast Services Vancouver meets until Friday with the companies that will beam the 2010 Games to TV viewers and radio listeners around the globe. It's the second of three annual conventions and brings together more than 100 representatives of 35 rights-holding networks to discuss production costs and logistics.

Vancouver 2010 will be the first all-HD TV Winter Olympics from the source.

"There's plenty of infrastructure for us to be able to acquire that equipment to be able to achieve it," said OBSV chief operating officer Nancy Lee.

NBC, the largest broadcaster, paid $2.2 billion for U.S. rights to Vancouver 2010 and London 2012. The CTV/ Rogers consortium outbid CBC with a $153-million offer for the Canadian deal.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 1:56 PM

edit

Last edited by Delirium; Feb 29, 2008 at 2:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 3:11 AM

Vanoc signs licensing deal with Inuit artists

Jeff Lee, Vancouver Sun
Published: Wednesday, March 05, 2008

There is nothing that irritates Nunavut Premier Paul Okalik more than seeing mass-produced inukshuk art passed off to unsuspecting tourists as authentic Inuit art. When he sees them for sale in stores, he knows aboriginal artists of the North have been ripped off.

So he could barely hide the glee in his face today when he signed a deal with the organizers of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics that will see as many as 1,200 Inuit artists from 11 communities produce the iconic rock emblems for sale under an Olympic licence.

"We have often not gained much benefit out of symbolic things that have been produced," he said. "This is more a symbol of artists benefiting through their unique work. These products are hand-made, not mass-produced like some pieces that I've seen throughout the country."

The deal, signed in Vancouver as part of a larger license agreement the Vancouver Organizing Committee has with four B.C. first nations, will also see a portion of the royalties go towards a legacy fund for aboriginal youth.

Under the umbrella agreement, Vanoc will license and market a large array of clothing and other items containing aboriginal artwork. Although it is working with one Squamish artist, Xwa Lack Tun, whose Anglicized name is Rick Harry, Vanoc says it expects to expand the program to include first nations and Metis artists from across the country. The agreement was signed last week at a private ceremony during the visit of International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge.

The deal with the Inuit will involve the production of stone emblems known as inukshuk (the plural, according to Okalik, is inuksuit). Each unique item, which takes hours to produce, will retail for between $60 and $200.

Okalik said the Inuit were elated when Vanoc selected Ilanaaq, a stylized inukshuk as its logo, because inuksuit represent directional markers that help people find their way. In agreeing to market Inuit art for Nunavut, Vanoc has helped many artists find their way.

"In Nunavut, we have no Maple Leaf. Icons as Canadian emblems are foreign to us. Ilanaaq changed that," he said.

For Vanoc CEO John Furlong, the deal brings much closer to reality his pledge to try and "touch the soul of the nation" with the Olympics. "Premier Okalik can honestly say with this deal that every single town in Nunavut is participating in the Games," he said. "What a way to get the artists involved."

Each inukshuk carving will carry a Vanoc licence tag, as well as the name of the artist and community where it was made and the carving's unique story.

"Part of this is to put money towards aboriginal youth programs," he said. "This is going to be a runaway hit."

The overall aboriginal licensing agreement will see one-third of royalties set aside for a legacy fund administered through the Four Host First Nations Secretariat. The group represents the Squamish, Lil'Wat, Tsleil-Waututh and Musqueam bands, on whose traditional territory the Games are being held.

Neither Vanoc officials nor Tewanee Joseph, the executive director of the FHFNS, could say how much money will be generated from the deal.

"This is new territory for all of us," Joseph said. "We've looked back at a number of Olympic Games, and we can't find any deal like this anywhere. So we really don't know how much this will generate."

Clothing and art will go on sale to the public through retailers starting next month.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 5:11 AM
Dérive-r

^Sounds great. I love how VANOC is getting different regions of the country involved to make these "Canada's Games". Hopefully the rest of the country will embrace it as such by the time 2010 rolls around.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 5:30 AM

Homologation of The Whistler Sliding Centre to proceed this week

March 5, 2008
VANOC News Release

Whistler, BC – The world’s top sliding athletes, coaches and technical officials will be in Whistler this week from March 5 through 8 to participate in the homologation of The Whistler Sliding Centre — the venue for bobsleigh, luge and skeleton competitions during the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games.

The homologation of The Whistler Sliding Centre is a joint project by the International Bobsleigh and Tobogganing Federation (FIBT), the International Luge Federation (FIL) and the Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC) to ensure a technical inspection and evaluation of the track.

“The homologation of the track is an important step in the process of having this venue completed for the 2010 Winter Games, and allows us to deliver on our promise to offer athletes the chance to train and compete on the 2010 Winter Games venues well in advance of the Games themselves,” said Cathy Priestner Allinger, VANOC Executive Vice President for Sport and Games Operations.

The four days of testing and evaluation at The Whistler Sliding Centre will ensure the FIBT, FIL and VANOC have the opportunity to:

- Inspect track construction
- Test venue safety
- Ensure track’s technical dimensions are compliant with FIBT/FIL regulations
- Receive feedback for modifications/improvements as required
- Provide forum for international sliding athletes, technical delegates and additional identified experts to offer feedback to track operators
- Conduct operational/situational testing for The Whistler Sliding Centre staff/volunteers

Both the FIBT and FIL will have a number of technical experts on-site to participate in the homologation process over the coming days. Additionally, more than 60 athletes and coaches will participate in the homologation at The Whistler Sliding Centre by invitation of the FIBT, FIL and VANOC, including representation from Austria, Canada, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Russia and the US.

Once The Whistler Sliding Centre has been homologated, VANOC will review and consider the recommendations for technical adjustments that will allow the facility to be opened and completely operational. VANOC anticipates providing to the media and public additional details on the homologation process on March 10. As one of the sport venues for the 2010 Winter Games, VANOC looks forward to announcing details of media and public access to this venue as soon as possible.

At this time the facility’s technical and operational infrastructures are still in development and have not been sanctioned by the governing bodies. Until the track is officially open, VANOC is operating the facility with limited services and systems; therefore will not accommodate additional public, media and or non sliding participants. The facility will remain closed to anyone outside of those participating directly in the homologation process.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 5:17 AM

Purolator added as official 2010 Games sponsor

Vancouver Sun
Published: Thursday, March 06, 2008

VANCOUVER -- Vancouver Olympic organizers will unveil Purolator Courier as an official supplier for the 2010 Olympics later this morning in Richmond.

Official supplier sponsorship carries a $3-million to $15-million price tag, which gives Purolator marketing rights to use the Vancouver and Canadian Olympic-team brands in its marketing for a prescribed period.

The deal will also make Purolator the exclusive courier for any Games-related business.

Purolator will be the 15th official supplier and 29th domestic corporate sponsor to sign onto the 2010 Olympics as Olympic organizers seek to hit their goal of raising $760 million to cover operating costs.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 10:01 PM

Edmonton to play host to Olympic curling trials

Vicki Hall, edmontonjournal.com
Published: Sunday, March 09, 2008

WINNIPEG - The game went into extra ends, but Edmonton finally hit the button and won the right to host the 2009 Olympic Curling Trials.

The Canadian Curling Association is set to announce later this week that Edmonton will welcome the best shotmakers from coast to coast Dec. 6 to 13, 2009 at Rexall Place.

The event, also known as the Roar of the Rings, will feature eight men's teams and eight women's teams fighting to represent Canada at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

"I think this is fantastic for everyone in Edmonton and the rest of Alberta," said Marcel Rocque, who plays lead for Randy Ferbey. "People in Edmonton are going to be treated to something they've never seen before and may not see again for a very long time."

Sources say organizers signed off on the final agreement in February during the Boston Pizza Cup Alberta men's curling championship.

Kamloops, B.C.m also bid on the event and offered more money up front with $1.2 million going directly to the cash-strapped CCA in hopes of keeping the trials in the same province as the Olympics themselves.

The Edmonton bid came in around $1 million up front, but Rexall Place seats 16,839 spectators, almost three times the number that can cram into the Kamloops arena.

"I think Edmonton will do a great job," Saskatchewan skip Pat Simmons said in a break from the action at the Tim Hortons Brier. "They've proven themselves from the last Brier there and the worlds and all other kinds of events.

"I think Edmonton is close to the capital of curling as you can get. You might have at least three teams from there, and how's that going to be for ticket sales?"

The hometown crowd should have plenty to cheer for with Edmonton likely represented by three world-class teams on the men's side: Kevin Martin, Randy Ferbey and Kevin Koe in the eight-team event.

Some curling insiders argue the calibre of play is higher at the Canadian trials than the Olympics.

"It's like putting together the last eight years of Stanley Cup champions and having them all play in the same tournament," Rocque said. "The pressure is enormous with every shot. If you make one mistake against these teams, they'll bury you."

Four men's teams and four women's teams will advance directly to the trials in Edmonton. The other four will be decided at a pre-trials event in Prince George, B.C.

Winnipeg's Jennifer Jones has already qualified on the women's side. If Ontario's Glenn Howard wins the Brier, he will lock up the first spot for the men.

The 2005 Olympic curling trials were held in Halifax. Three months later, Canada's Brad Gushue, Mark Nichols, Russ Howard and Jamie Korab managed to win gold an ocean away in Pinerolo, Italy. Shannon Kleibrink , Amy Nixon, Glenys Bakker and Christine Keshen of Calgary captured bronze.

Edmonton set the Brier attendance record in 2005 with 280,985 fans streaming through the wickets. Just last year, Howard captured the world men's curling championship at Rexall Place with a record attendance figure of 184,973 throughout the event.

"Edmonton is the best place for the trials," said Craig Savill, the lead for Howard's Ontario foursome. "I think Edmonton will pack the place."

Ontario second Brent Laing can't figure out why there was any question surrounding Edmonton's bid in the first place.

"Edmonton is a better fit than Kamloops," he said. "Especially when it looks like you'll have three Edmonton teams in the event."

But that's no guarantee with a plethora of elite men's teams - including Gushue, Howard, Simmons and Winnipeg's Jeff Stoughton - chasing the dream of representing Canada, at home, in the Olympics.

"I think the pressure is on us now to get to the trials," Ferbey said. "Being a spectator here in Winnipeg is fine, but there's no way I want to be a spectator in Edmonton.

"Edmonton deserves this. Edmonton is the undisputed capital of curling in Canada, and I think it's the only natural place for the trials to be."

vhall@thejournal.canwest.com

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 10:46 PM

The Whistler Sliding Centre homologation process complete
World’s 15th sliding centre praised by international federation technical officials

March 10, 2008
VANOC News Release

Whistler, BC – The homologation process for The Whistler Sliding Centre concluded over the weekend, achieving another milestone in the timeline to ensure the venue for bobsleigh, luge and skeleton competitions is complete for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games.

The four days of testing and evaluation by the International Bobsleigh and Tobogganing Federation (FIBT), the International Luge Federation (FIL) and the Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC) will allow the venue operators to move ahead with the next phase of planning to have the facility fully operational in the coming months.

“From design, to construction and through start-up, we knew we were building a very special sliding track. This track was designed and built to be a world-unique sliding sport venue and this week’s runs, along with the feedback from the athletes, coaches and the technical officials from international sport federations, have proven that we are well on our way to reaching this goal,” said Craig Lehto, VANOC’s director, The Whistler Sliding Centre. “The homologation process is a major milestone towards hosting spectacular sliding competitions during the Games in 2010.”

Over the duration of the homologation, more than 200 runs were taken at The Whistler Sliding Centre. Athletes from seven countries (Austria, Canada, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Russia and the USA) representing the three sliding disciplines completed runs from six different start positions on the track. Working from the bottom to the top, a detailed evaluation was completed to ensure the 1,450 metre track is safe for all athlete ability levels.

“This is a great track that will challenge all the skills of the modern sliding athletes. It is fast, technical, demanding and interesting,”
said Bob Storey, President, FIBT. “The Whistler Sliding Centre is an example for the new tracks of the future as well as a great sporting legacy.”

“There are lots of technical tracks around the world, but this one is so unique because of the speed — that is what makes it so challenging,” said Walter Plaikner, technical delegate, FIL Track Commission. “The homologation went very well and there is almost nothing to change. This is because of the great work by the construction crew, the ice crew who had the ice in great condition and the entire team of people here in Canada which have done such a great job and made the homologation a success.”

With the homologation process complete, VANOC will now review the recommendations made by the FIBT and FIL that will determine the remaining work required to fine-tune the track in preparation for international competition. The Whistler Sliding Centre will host Canadian national teams for training and testing through to March 20.

BACKGROUND – The Whistler Sliding Centre

Located on Blackcomb Mountain in Whistler, The Whistler Sliding Centre is the venue for the bobsleigh, luge and skeleton competitions during the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games, and is one of only 15 sliding tracks in the world. The Whistler Sliding Centre consists of a 1,450-metre competition-length concrete sliding track through 16 corners, refrigeration facilities, support buildings and access road. This new sliding track is integrated into Whistler’s long-term resort development plan. Post-Games, The Whistler Sliding Centre will be operated under the direction of the Whistler Legacy Society, supported by an endowment trust established by the federal and provincial governments.

At this time, the facility’s technical and operational infrastructures are in the final stages of development. Until the track is officially open, VANOC is operating the facility with limited services and systems, and access to the venue will remain limited to those expressly invited to participate in activities at the venue.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 12:06 AM

The deal was for $3-million...and I have to say that it doesn't make sense. An airport supplier???? That's basic infrastructure, especially for the Olympic Games. What next? the official road supplier? official breathing air supplier??

I'm guessing VANOC was desperate for more sponsorship, and begged rich-YVR to become a sponsor. o_O

Flight 2010 Cleared for Landing at Vancouver International Airport - YVR Named Official Airport for 2010 Winter Games

March 13, 2008
VANOC News Release

Richmond, B.C. (March 13, 2008): The Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC) today welcomed Vancouver Airport Authority as an Official Supplier of the 2010 Winter Games. This partnership marks the first time in Olympic Games history that an airport has been named an Official Supplier.

As an Official Supplier, the Airport Authority has sponsorship rights in the airport category for the 2010 Winter Games and is committed to providing world-class operations and services prior to, during and after the Games. In addition, the Airport Authority receives the sponsorship rights to the Canadian Olympic team attending the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games and the London 2012 Olympic Games. The sponsorship commitment includes:

- dedicated airport amenities and services for VANOC and 2010 Winter Games activities
- accreditation processing and departure screening facilities
- expedited passenger arrivals and baggage services
- specialized training for airport staff
- parking and ground transportation services
- office space

“As an Official Supplier, we will provide many athletes, officials, media and visitors with the first and last impression of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games,” said Larry Berg, President and Chief Executive Officer, Vancouver Airport Authority. “Our goal is to provide a smooth, seamless and exceptional travel experience to every passenger that visits our airport for the Games or any other reason. We are enhancing our facilities, passenger services and customer care program to ensure we meet this goal before, during and after the 2010 Winter Games.”

“YVR provides the perfect opportunity for us to welcome the world in 2010. Today, YVR has made history, becoming the first ever airport authority sponsor of the Games and we’re pleased to have the support of their operations and customer service,” said John Furlong, VANOC Chief Executive Officer. “For visitors stepping off the plane, it will be like arriving in the middle of a Games venue. YVR is one of the most beautiful and accessible airports in the world, and it captures the spirit of Vancouver, BC and Canada.”

“Yesterday, we celebrated the two-year countdown to the Opening Ceremony for the 2010 Paralympic Winter Games in Vancouver and Whistler. Athletes are two years away from arriving in this airport with their specialized equipment,” said Todd Nicholson, captain of Canada’s Paralympic Hockey team, “YVR is a leader in its commitment to providing accessible facilities and staff training. This can only enhance every Paralympic athlete’s experience at the Games.”

The Airport Authority’s long-established working relationship with VANOC also includes separate, but complementary agreements covering terminal advertising opportunities and six dedicated Olympic Stores in the International and Domestic Terminals featuring Vancouver 2010 Winter Games merchandise.

The sponsorship announcement was made at a community event held in YVR’s new Link building, which connects the Domestic and International Terminals, provides additional check-in and baggage facilities, and will be the final stop for Canada Line trains heading to the airport. In attendance at the announcement were employees of Vancouver Airport Authority, local airport business partners, VANOC representatives, elected officials and other Games sponsors who marked the start of this partnership by signing a large-scale commemorative banner that will be displayed in the terminal.

About Vancouver Airport Authority
The Airport Authority is a community-based, not-for-profit organization that operates Vancouver International Airport (YVR). Canada’s second busiest airport, YVR expects to welcome 17.9 million passengers in 2008. The Airport Authority is undertaking a $1.4-billion capital program that will ensure the airport meets the growing demand for air travel and continues to be developed as a premier global gateway and economic generator for British Columbia.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion