HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 12:49 AM
BANNED

Why is BC the only place in North America that makes new drivers display L/N?

No other place in North America makes their new drivers display their driving status in the form of something you can physically see on the back of your car. So why BC?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 1:10 AM

Here in Manitoba MPIC(Manitoba Public Insurance) has signs that novice drivers display in the vehicle. That say exactly that. I am not aware if it is law or by choice(to get less honks)

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 1:12 AM

are you sure? I thought we got graduated licensing from Ontario?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 1:18 AM

i always wondered how it's enforced. it's more obvious if one is a learner but for novice drivers who've had their N for a couple of years it's almost impossible to tell what level license they have.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 1:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSTHELIMIT View Post
Here in Manitoba MPIC(Manitoba Public Insurance) has signs that novice drivers display in the vehicle. That say exactly that. I am not aware if it is law or by choice(to get less honks)
Manitoba uses the Graduated Licensing Program. Its levels are Learner, Intermediate, and Full. There is no law stating they have to display their level on the back of their car like BC. BC is the only place that makes drivers display signs on the back of their car stating they are a Learner or New driver

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 1:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by p78hub View Post
i always wondered how it's enforced. it's more obvious if one is a learner but for novice drivers who've had their N for a couple of years it's almost impossible to tell what level license they have.
Its the law to display it. If you're caught not displaying it you'll be ticketed by the police and possibly lose your license if it happens multiple times

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanGreen View Post
Its the law to display it. If you're caught not displaying it you'll be ticketed by the police and possibly lose your license if it happens multiple times
hm. only time i've heard of that happening is when a schoolmate of mine got caught speeding and they happened to not have the N on the back... i guess it depends on the situation?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 1:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by p78hub View Post
hm. only time i've heard of that happening is when a schoolmate of mine got caught speeding and they happened to not have the N on the back... i guess it depends on the situation?
I don't think they have roadblocks out specifically searching for people not displaying their signs. But if you get pulled over or stopped for any reason and you're not displaying your sign you'll get a ticket. Its the law.

Frankly I think its quite humiliating lol

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 1:35 AM

There was a store in Richmond where a lot of my friends (all asian) bought magnets that looked like the N and L signs but they were yellow and with an A. haha.

I think the L sign is important, it lets me know to quickly bypass them. Haha.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 1:49 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Don't see any issue with the N/L system,and don't see how it's humiliating as any new driver would go thru the same process nowadays. It allows the police to quickly identify if you are breaking any of the restrictions imposed on new drivers. Wouldn't be surprised if whenever we move to transmitter plates that the signs get abolished.
What is humilating is the kids that turn the sign sideways to become a Z. Can't imagine how cool they must be.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 1:51 AM
See ya down under, mates

Because our drivers are god damn horrible and deserved to be shamed into driving better.

If only they'd do a better job of stopping people in Richmond from buying their driving test results.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 2:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Because our drivers are god damn horrible and deserved to be shamed into driving better.

If only they'd do a better job of stopping people in Richmond from buying their driving test results.
Everywhere has bad drivers though...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 2:28 AM

I noticed that police stalk you for a while if you have a N back when I had it. Lots of people I knew getting licenses never displayed it and never had issues. I'm willing to bet a large number of N and L drivers never even put it on.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 4:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
I noticed that police stalk you for a while if you have a N back when I had it. Lots of people I knew getting licenses never displayed it and never had issues. I'm willing to bet a large number of N and L drivers never even put it on.
They didn't have issues when they weren't displaying it because they never got caught. Regardless if they did or didn't its the law here to have it on. Nowhere else on the continent does it. What makes BC drivers special?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 4:21 AM

Whatever just deal with it, I had my N for over six years before I got my full license. What made me finally get my full license was that I did not want to be 25 years old with an N and I wanted to be able to drive after one beer after playing hockey. If you don't want your N, well that's just incentive for you to go for your full license sooner. The L and N is just there to make other drivers aware that they should be careful around you.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 4:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Whatever just deal with it, I had my N for over six years before I got my full license. What made me finally get my full license was that I did not want to be 25 years old with an N and I wanted to be able to drive after one beer after playing hockey. If you don't want your N, well that's just incentive for you to go for your full license sooner. The L and N is just there to make other drivers aware that they should be careful around you.
Hmmmm didn't really answer my question but glad to hear you got rid of your N. Most areas in the US don't make you take a test to get your full license. After a certain period of driving, and if you have no accidents or tickets, you automaticaly receive your full license. I'd like to see that implemented here. I just think the restrictions on new drivers here are way too harsh.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 4:50 AM

No it's not. I wish everyone had to be retested every five years, there are way too many stupid drivers out there. Driving is a privilege, not a right.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanGreen View Post
Hmmmm didn't really answer my question but glad to hear you got rid of your N. Most areas in the US don't make you take a test to get your full license. After a certain period of driving, and if you have no accidents or tickets, you automaticaly receive your full license. I'd like to see that implemented here. I just think the restrictions on new drivers here are way too harsh.
Considering how many crappy drivers there are in Vancouver, I disagree.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 5:32 AM

there was discussion about 10 years ago i guess about using a yellow S like L&N but for senior drivers so they can be given some slack on the roads

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 6:19 AM

What are you talking about, seniors do have a special sign, their "veteran" license plates

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion