HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 1:00 PM

Daily Cincinnati

I've been doing this since September, so I'll eventually back date and post them all here

11 December 7, 2011

The McAlpin, at 15 West 4th Street in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio, is the definition of urban residential living in the heart of the city. The development features 62 condominiums and was the partnership between Madison Marquette and JFP Properties. It was completed at a cost of $25 million.

Two Renaissance Revival buildings were constructed in 1859 and 1873 for the John Shillito Company and the Robert Mitchell Furniture Company. Noted architect James McLaughlin designed the Shillito building, while the Mitchell Furniture building was designed by James Keys Wilson. In 1901, the George W. McAlpin Company purchased the Mitchell Furniture Company building and converted the property into the McAlpin Department Store. Over the years, the store expanded into neighboring buildings, which remained in operation until 1996.

The photograph below is from the lobby of The McAlpin, themed out to St. Xavier, a Jesuit Catholic high school in Cincinnati. Or, to my employer – Xavier University!

A McAlpin Christmas: http://urbanup.net/2011/12/07/photog...pin-christmas/

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 1:41 PM

12 December 22, 2011

During some down time that I had while working on a project in Cincinnati, Ohio, I wandered over to the Mill Creek valley and began photographing the various viaducts and bridges that criss cross over waterways, highways and railroads. The 8th Street Viaduct, which received a new bridge deck, new railings, lights and improved superstructural elements, was given a new white paint coating. The charcoal colored roadway under the viaduct, which was once hemmed in by large warehouses and factories, now opens to weeds and large vacant lots.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 10:58 PM

10 December 2, 2011

Just another sunrise from Mt. Adams in Cincinnati, Ohio! I always enjoy this view overlooking the Ohio River, with the Daniel Card Beard (Interstate 471) Bridge as the highlight of the photograph. It was interesting to watch the traffic thicken up from pre-sunrise to post-sunrise along the interstate’s three inbound lanes, and as it began to queue up and congest at the downtown 6th Street and Columbia Parkway interchange. How I envy my ten minute commute to work!

Daniel Card Beard Bridge Sunrise: http://urbanup.net/2011/12/06/photog...ridge-sunrise/

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 9:30 PM

9 November 29, 2011

Xavier University began the installation process of a statue of St. Francis Xavier this afternoon in blustery, overcast weather in Cincinnati, Ohio. The statue is being installed in a traffic turnabout between Smith Hall and Contaton Learning Commons.

St. Francis Xavier, one of St. Ignatius Loyola's closest friends and an original founding companion of the Society of Jesus, is most honored by the Catholic Church, other Christian churches and the Jesuit order for his missionary accomplishments, particularly in India, southeast Asia and Japan.

The 11-foot 3-inch tall bronze statue, which will rest atop an 11-foot base, is depicted wearing a standard Jesuit cassock but with traditional Japanese sandals. The sandals represent the years he spent in Japan. St. Xavier is posed reaching out in a welcoming gesture with his right hand, while holding a breviary (liturgical book) in his other hand.

The statue was created by Cincinnati-based artist Tom Tsuchiya. Tsuchiya's career began with another larger-than-life sculpture of a larger-than-life figure - D'Artagnan. The sculpture was based on the hero of Dumas' novels. D'Artagnan was a 17th-century French Musketeer, who inspired Xavier's nickname, and now stands in front of the Cintas Center.

Tsuchiya also created the statue of former Xavier chancellor and past president, the late James E. Hoff, S.J. that now stands in front of the new dining hall.

I happened to be walking around the Xavier campus during lunch and snapped this with my iPhone. Good timing!

St. Francis Xavier Statue: http://urbanup.net/2011/11/29/photog...xavier-statue/

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 9:04 PM

8 November 18, 2011

I've been working a lot recently on broll time lapses for a project that highlights Cincinnati's attractions and natural beauty, and this was taken as part of a sunset from Mt. Adams tonight. Queen City Square's tiara is highlighted blue in recognition of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and World Diabetes Day, which was Monday.

World Diabetes Day Sunset: http://urbanup.net/2011/11/19/photog...es-day-sunset/

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 9:45 PM

7 November 10, 2011

Queen City Square is reflected in a garage door in The Palisades residential condominium development in Mt. Adams, Cincinnati, Ohio at sunset.

http://urbanup.net/2011/11/10/photog...i/reflections/

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 2:32 AM

8 November 18, 2011

I've been working a lot recently on broll time lapses for a project that highlights Cincinnati's attractions and natural beauty, and this was taken as part of a sunset from Mt. Adams tonight. Queen City Square's tiara is highlighted blue in recognition of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and World Diabetes Day, which was Monday.

World Diabetes Day Sunset: http://urbanup.net/2011/11/19/photog...es-day-sunset/

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 1:51 PM

9 November 29, 2011

Xavier University began the installation process of a statue of St. Francis Xavier this afternoon in blustery, overcast weather in Cincinnati, Ohio. The statue is being installed in a traffic turnabout between Smith Hall and Contaton Learning Commons.

St. Francis Xavier, one of St. Ignatius Loyola's closest friends and an original founding companion of the Society of Jesus, is most honored by the Catholic Church, other Christian churches and the Jesuit order for his missionary accomplishments, particularly in India, southeast Asia and Japan.

The 11-foot 3-inch tall bronze statue, which will rest atop an 11-foot base, is depicted wearing a standard Jesuit cassock but with traditional Japanese sandals. The sandals represent the years he spent in Japan. St. Xavier is posed reaching out in a welcoming gesture with his right hand, while holding a breviary (liturgical book) in his other hand.

The statue was created by Cincinnati-based artist Tom Tsuchiya. Tsuchiya's career began with another larger-than-life sculpture of a larger-than-life figure - D'Artagnan. The sculpture was based on the hero of Dumas' novels. D'Artagnan was a 17th-century French Musketeer, who inspired Xavier's nickname, and now stands in front of the Cintas Center.

Tsuchiya also created the statue of former Xavier chancellor and past president, the late James E. Hoff, S.J. that now stands in front of the new dining hall.

I happened to be walking around the Xavier campus during lunch and snapped this with my iPhone. Good timing!

St. Francis Xavier Statue: http://urbanup.net/2011/11/29/photog...xavier-statue/

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 1:32 PM

10 December 2, 2011

Just another sunrise from Mt. Adams in Cincinnati, Ohio! I always enjoy this view overlooking the Ohio River, with the Daniel Card Beard (Interstate 471) Bridge as the highlight of the photograph. It was interesting to watch the traffic thicken up from pre-sunrise to post-sunrise along the interstate’s three inbound lanes, and as it began to queue up and congest at the downtown 6th Street and Columbia Parkway interchange. How I envy my ten minute commute to work!

Daniel Card Beard Bridge Sunrise: http://urbanup.net/2011/12/06/photog...ridge-sunrise/

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 2:57 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

You need to post that panorama from Dayton, KY.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 2:27 AM

11 December 7, 2011

The McAlpin, at 15 West 4th Street in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio, is the definition of urban residential living in the heart of the city. The development features 62 condominiums and was the partnership between Madison Marquette and JFP Properties. It was completed at a cost of $25 million.

Two Renaissance Revival buildings were constructed in 1859 and 1873 for the John Shillito Company and the Robert Mitchell Furniture Company. Noted architect James McLaughlin designed the Shillito building, while the Mitchell Furniture building was designed by James Keys Wilson. In 1901, the George W. McAlpin Company purchased the Mitchell Furniture Company building and converted the property into the McAlpin Department Store. Over the years, the store expanded into neighboring buildings, which remained in operation until 1996.

The photograph below is from the lobby of The McAlpin, themed out to St. Xavier, a Jesuit Catholic high school in Cincinnati. Or, to my employer – Xavier University!

A McAlpin Christmas: http://urbanup.net/2011/12/07/photog...pin-christmas/

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 1:10 PM

12 December 22, 2011

During some down time that I had while working on a project, I wandered over to the Mill Creek valley and began photographing the various viaducts and bridges that criss cross over waterways, highways and railroads. The 8th Street Viaduct, which received a new bridge deck, new railings, lights and improved superstructural elements, was given a new white paint coating. The charcoal colored roadway under the viaduct, which was once hemmed in by large warehouses and factories, now opens to weeds and large vacant lots.

Under the Viaduct: http://urbanup.net/2011/12/22/photog...r-the-viaduct/

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 6:40 AM

13 March 8, 2012

Roebling at Dusk: http://bridgestunnels.com/2012/03/08/roebling-at-dusk/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos